77 LG C9 vs Samsung 75 Q90R Help Me Choose - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

Old 04-04-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Talking 77 LG C9 vs Samsung 75 Q90R Help Me Choose

So I'm down to these two displays I think.... unless I just decide to throw in the towel and buy a leftover 2018 model.

All the data is not in yet but I'd really like to have something in hand before memorial day and am willing to spend a bit more on getting the set in the next 30 days vs. waiting till memorial sales if at all possible (if I buy locally I would also get some price protections for those sales if they even happen).

My TV mix is roughly 40% streaming, 20% dedicated movie watching, 10% CATV and 30% gaming.

This list is really just to get me to document my personal perceived pros/cons of each TV and get any additional input on these pro/cons from others.

LG C9 Pros;
  • Advertised full HDMI 2.1 compliance including 120hz 4K, etc.
  • Largest screen size possible for my install location
  • "True" blacks
  • Better motion handling
  • More accurate color reproduction
  • Perfect off angle viewing (emissive screen technology)
  • Dolby Vision compatible
  • Future Airplay 2 support
  • High quality good looking provided stand (no wobble, proper tilt, etc).

LG C9 Cons
  • Risk of burn in (I'm a gamer)
  • Panel lottery (seemingly more of an issue on OLED than QLED displays)
  • Cost!! (holy cow)
  • LG historically poor after sale support (few firmware updates on flagship TVs, etc).
  • Some features currently missing (3.5ms BFI) that were touted at CES
  • Higher input lag than LG advertised (measured 21.9 ms to LG claim of 13.x ms).
  • Banding

Samsung Q90R Pros
  • Price! (I qualify for EPP so get for 20% off MSRP)
  • Best anti-reflective coating in industry.
  • Higher peak brightness.
  • Better app support (not just Airplay 2 but full Apple support coming for Apple content).
  • VRR/ALLM support (sketchy though, might not work through current gen AVRs).
  • Single cable connection to display.
Samsung Q90R Cons
  • No Dolby Vision support.
  • No "real" HDMI 2.1 support, i.e., no 120hz @ 4K, no eARC, etc.
  • Low grade chinsy looking wobbly stand (although I can wall mount if necessary).
  • Shiny distracting bezel.
  • Smaller.
  • Heavier.
  • Worse color accuracy.
  • Slightly worse off angle viewing (assumed).
  • Worse black level (assumed).
  • Lower end factory remote.

Last edited by jmpage2; 04-04-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why did I click this thread. Now I'm starting to think of getting 77 C8 instead of Q90.

And the stand on Q90 is really wobbly, even though it weighs like a rock.
bytor99999 likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzyx View Post
Why did I click this thread. Now I'm starting to think of getting 77 C8 instead of Q90.

And the stand on Q90 is really wobbly, even though it weighs like a rock.
The Q90R stand looks like something that comes with a Wally World discount TV.

Frankly, as far as the stand goes, Samsung should be embarrassed shipping that stand with their highest end 4K display. I also don't know that I trust that stand in preventing a younger kid from somehow tipping the TV over on top of themselves although without getting hands on with it guess I shouldn't say that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 6
You stated better motion handling on the c9. I think LG oled has worse motion handling because of the stutter on 24p. LCD tvs are smoother in panning shot lg Oleds are so fast they show the frames better making it stutter. For 60fps no isues but on low fps, every movie and tv series can look a bit jerky.
Tony1 likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Your viewing habits are literally the same as mine Its funny as I was also choosing between a 77C9 and a Q950/Q90. In the end after the Rtings review of the Q900 and user impressions I decided to cancel my pre order of the Q950 and wait for the 77C9. Then after reading over in the C9 thread on here the differences between that and the C8 seemed so small that I just ended up ordering a 77C8 the next day which was £2500 cheaper than the 77C9 in the UK and couldn't be happier lol. I felt that the differences between the 77C8 and 77C9 wernt worth the £2500 difference in price as lets be honest there only very small differences. So my train of thought was ill save myself some money get a 77C8 now and upgrade again in a few years once tech has moved on. Maybe to QDOLED or something.
Gillietalls and Tony1 like this.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsmit View Post
You stated better motion handling on the c9. I think LG oled has worse motion handling because of the stutter on 24p. LCD tvs are smoother in panning shot lg Oleds are so fast they show the frames better making it stutter. For 60fps no isues but on low fps, every movie and tv series can look a bit jerky.
Rtings gave the C8 an 8.8 overall on motion and while they did say that 24P output provided noticeable stutter they indicated that 3:2 pulldown on the TV was basically perfect with no artifacts. It would be even better if the TV just has a motion algorithm that converted 24P to the TVs native 120fps rate but the 23.976 rate potentially makes that impossible, not sure.

Q9F gets 8.7 on motion overall, gets a higher rating on 24fps film stuttering and a lower rating on judder.

C9, per D-Nice and others has much improved motion handling, I'm not sure what improvements, if any Samsung has made in this area but it doesn't appear to be much changed over last year from what I have so far discovered.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Q90 does support 4k120 over HDMI 2.0b, but only at 4:2:0 chroma.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Hi.... The C9 got great reviews but OLED is still quite pricey at 77".. We should be comparing OLED's to other OLED's.... And LCD's with other LCD's just to be fair.... It's like comparing an Electric car with a gas car.. OLED and LCD are both, two very different technologies..... Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.. Just Purchase which ever one you can afford.. There both very good TVs and are sure to please. 😀
Old 04-04-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
Hi.... The C9 got great reviews but OLED is still quite pricey at 77".. We should be comparing OLED's to other OLED's.... And LCD's with other LCD's just to be fair.... It's like comparing an Electric car with a gas car.. OLED and LCD are both, two very different technologies..... Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.. Just Purchase which ever one you can afford.. There both very good TVs and are sure to please. 😀
That's like arguing that you shouldn't compare a BMW 3-series and a Honda Accord because one costs a lot more.

They are both cars and they can and should be compared because at the end of the day they both will get you to your destination.

I'll put it to you this way.... I can afford either of these TVs but I have to be able to justify the added cost to myself and my wife that the OLED is worth the additional $$ compared to the QLED.

Samsung cheaping out on feature support (eARC, Dolby Vision, etc.) is making it easier for me to argue that I should just spend the extra coins to get the OLED TV over the QLED.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
I own both c8 and q90r and this is like an apples vs oranges debate. Both have pros and cons, both are overall outstanding. You need to weigh the pros and cons of both to make a decision based on your viewing needs and environment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I own both c8 and q90r and this is like an apples vs oranges debate. Both have pros and cons, both are overall outstanding. You need to weigh the pros and cons of both to make a decision based on your viewing needs and environment.

If you watch TV on both and can tell me which of the two you perform for specific tasks (4K movie watching via disk, streaming, gaming, etc.) then it's not apples vs oranges.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I'd have to vote C9. I still prefer the picture on our B7 over our z9d..even with the extra brightness of the Z for HDR.

I just had to make the call between the Q900, Z9D and C8. I game 65% so I chose the Z but not a day goes by that I don't wish I'd felt confident enough to get the C8 (still have burn in fears).

For what it's worth, my wife games for hours almost every night on the B7 and after 1.5 years.. no burn in.

Ascend Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Ascend Horizon Center w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 2 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos modules (x4), SVS PB13 Ultras (x2), SVS PB12+ (x2)
Denon X6500H / Emotiva Mini-X a-100
Panasonic DP-UB820 / PS4 Pro / XBOX 1X
Sony XBR75Z9D, LG OLED65B7A
Old 04-04-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That's like arguing that you shouldn't compare a BMW 3-series and a Honda Accord because one costs a lot more.

They are both cars and they can and should be compared because at the end of the day they both will get you to your destination.

I'll put it to you this way.... I can afford either of these TVs but I have to be able to justify the added cost to myself and my wife that the OLED is worth the additional $$ compared to the QLED.

Samsung cheaping out on feature support (eARC, Dolby Vision, etc.) is making it easier for me to argue that I should just spend the extra coins to get the OLED TV over the QLED.
If that's the case of being able to afford both.... I guess it comes down to how bad you want Dolby Vision and if you would feel left out by not having it as the Samsung TV will never have it unless a miracle happens.. I also like the Magic Wii style Remote on the LG and the C9 has many picture modes including technicolor expert and a really great movie zoom.. I own a Samsung and wish it had Dolby Vision as IMO.... DV is way better than just having HDR10 as DV adjust the brightness "per frame" dynamically vs HDR10 "once per movie".. Now, HDR10+ is another story.. As its like DV and the new Samsung's do have that, just hardly any HDR10+ content vs DV.
jmpage2 and player002 like this.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you watch TV on both and can tell me which of the two you perform for specific tasks (4K movie watching via disk, streaming, gaming, etc.) then it's not apples vs oranges.
For each specific task it's not apple vs oranges but overall, they are. Each one does something that the other doesn't.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For each specific task it's not apple vs oranges but overall, they are. Each one does something that the other doesn't.

What does the Samsung do that the LG can't? Genuinely interested because AFAIK the only thing the Samsung has going for it if price is no object is a better anti-glare coating and potentially better Apple ecosystem support after a future update.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What does the Samsung do that the LG can't? Genuinely interested because AFAIK the only thing the Samsung has going for it if price is no object is a better anti-glare coating and potentially better Apple ecosystem support after a future update.
It's like asking me what should you eat, burger or pizza. I can't answer that question for you because my tastes are different from yours. I like them both pretty much equally at the moment.

bytor99999 likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
It's like asking me what should you eat, burger or pizza. I can't answer that question for you because my tastes are different from yours. I like them both pretty much equally at the moment.

Okay I will state it again, for the viewing habits I already described is there any single reason to choose the Q90 over the C9 if I don’t care about the price difference?
stfidel likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay I will state it again, for the viewing habits I already described is there any single reason to choose the Q90 over the C9 if I don’t care about the price difference?
In a dark room I prefer OLED. In a bright room I prefer the q90r. My q90r is in a bright living room with lots of sunlight and we also watch alot of cable channels such as news and we leave the tv running in the background with no stress. So as far as versatility goes, q90r. Movie theater room the win goes to OLED but q90r is no slouch in the dark either. These are my personal tastes. Everyone has different needs and likes.

bslep likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
In a dark room I prefer OLED. In a bright room I prefer the q90r. My q90r is in a bright living room with lots of sunlight and we also watch alot of cable channels such as news and we leave the tv running in the background with no stress. So as far as versatility goes, q90r. Movie theater room the win goes to OLED but q90r is no slouch in the dark either. These are my personal tastes. Everyone has different needs and likes.

Slightly off topic as I'm currently looking at a 65" in C8 or Q90R, can get either basically for the same price here in Aus. Can't PM you as my post count isn't high enough

I live in an apartment a few levels up that gets plenty of natural light. There's no buildings around me blocking light/sun.

Main uses bit of everything. FTA, Cable TV (FHD/4K), Netflix, Xbox One X (light gaming). Watch quite a bit of sports also.

If it makes any difference, I'd likely be using one of the new Samsung Dolby Atmos soundbars with it.

I've seen the C8 in person but am yet to see any stores in Aus with the Q90 on display. Reading your post here, seems I'd be happy either way? Or would you recommend one over the other based on the above?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
[*]Best anti-reflective coating in industry.
Not if Rtings Q900R review is any indication.
nathan_h and Gillietalls like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Burn-In.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Burn-In.
That is a concern but I haven't gotten burn-in on my Panasonic Plasma after eight years.
Gillietalls and losservatore like this.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
That is a concern but I haven't gotten burn-in on my Panasonic Plasma after eight years.
I got burn-in from internal apps on my B6, less than 2 years old. I Never game and never watched cable news on it. Didn’t realize until I did a Youtube test and there were three burn-ins.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
Not if Rtings Q900R review is any indication.
The coating is way different on the q900r which is semi gloss. My q90r anti reflective coating is just as good as the q9fn.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 4098
Bickering removed. Discuss the topic and not each other.
jmpage2 likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@sd13

Can you comment on whether your LG or Q90r is better for viewing sports?

Cheers
Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by >500 View Post
@sd13

Can you comment on whether your LG or Q90r is better for viewing sports?

Cheers
I personally prefer how my q90r looks for sports.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
The coating is way different on the q900r which is semi gloss. My q90r anti reflective coating is just as good as the q9fn.

Why would they put a worse anti-reflective coating on their flagship television? Besides, rtings blames the wide viewing angle filter as the cause of the reflection issues.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
No unless you watch CNN 24/7 C9 is much better. Infinite contrast/Blacks HDMI 2.1. Honestly nothing will beat Oled but Micro Led Quantum dot displays. Best PQ Oled wins. Brightest Samsung Q90 wins. You don't care about the Price Oled 1000%

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
I got burn-in from internal apps on my B6, less than 2 years old. I Never game and never watched cable news on it. Didn’t realize until I did a Youtube test and there were three burn-ins.
To be fair B6 sucked for that.. B8-C8 were not plagued by this.. I have one that I am tying on right now.. No Burn in on this PC monitor lol

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement