Sony x950G or Samsung Q70R - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony x950G or Samsung Q70R

Hi all.

Can anyone vouch for either of these two TVs? Both are within $100 difference but need help deciding which is the better TV. Is the Samsung worth the higher price? What about the differences in build quality? The Samsung bezel does seem rather cheap on the Q70R. The Q70R does have 40w speakers as opposed to 20w on the Sony. What about picture quality? Does one have less blooming then the others? Thank you.
FUZCO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bumping this thread. There needs to be a review done ASAP comparing these two!
FUZCO is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,931
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 991
In my opinion the Sony 950, at least you get Dolby Vision. It's not the hugested deal in the world but TV's this caliber and cost should include Dolby Vision. I'm not a fan of Samsung at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,222
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Q70 is better. Higher color volume and gamut. Has freesync 2. Produce brighter HDR highlights. Has HDR 10+ which is essentially same as DV. There is more DV support than HDR 10+ though to be fair.

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
In my opinion the Sony 950, at least you get Dolby Vision. It's not the hugested deal in the world but TV's this caliber and cost should include Dolby Vision. I'm not a fan of Samsung at all.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I would agree. I went for the Q70r because I could get it at Samsung EPP price. I might have gone for the X950G instead however due to DV if it were in the same price range. However, I am impressed with the picture of Q70R. I was scared earlier due to people reporting various issues with 2018 TVs but it seems Samsung 2019 TVs are a winner. My set has very good black levels, no uniformity issues/subtitle blooming etc. I definitely see less details during dark scenes, but it doesn't bother me much. Colors are lovely on this TV. The only thing that "bothers" me is that 65 inch is too small. I will most likely sell it and go for the 82 inch one. 65 is for peasants.
srkmish is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Free-sync 2 120hz works only with 1080P and 1440P not 4k. So its cool but not really cool. The 950 has much better Motion by a very large margin.

The Samsung has good color but Sony has a very nice natural look to its picture. Having Dolby Vision is always a Plus too.

I would say go look at them both and decide what fits you best !!!


TC
Expono#1 is online now  
post #7 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great input. Let’s keep this thread going!
FUZCO is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Member
 
Iluv4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Well I would say x950g. I've owned one for a month. Very pleased with it as a mid-range tv. The Local dimming kinda sucks though. But regarding the Q70, Q80, Q90. I just saw these at Best Buy yesterday, all three floor models had terrible Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) and they still crush the black details. They are pretty much refreshes of last year's Samsung TVs.
Iluv4k is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 04-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Bruc3L3r0y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
Well I would say x950g. I've owned one for a month. Very pleased with it as a mid-range tv. The Local dimming kinda sucks though. But regarding the Q70, Q80, Q90. I just saw these at Best Buy yesterday, all three floor models had terrible Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) and they still crush the black details. They are pretty much refreshes of last year's Samsung TVs.
Unless you were watching your own source material at Best Buy with the picture settings dialed in, I would have to disagree. The TVs at Best Buy or any other retail stores have the TVs set to retail mode and most likely in Dynamic mode which no real home user would ever use. I have the Q80 and have no DSE that I can make out, excellent uniformity, and it doesn't crush black details. Of course this is once I have configured the picture settings properly.
Bruc3L3r0y is online now  
post #10 of 20 Old 04-12-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Personally I haven't seen any of the 2019 models, but uniformity is typically unaffected by settings. Determining something like gamma performance at Best Buy would seem pretty tough to me, since that would be affected by settings, yet it should be possible to spot some uniformity issues in a store. A lot of the manufacturer test loops are shot to make it difficult to determine uniformity issues like dirty screen effect. On the other hand, cable TV or a store loop could make it easier to pick out poor uniformity.

The last time I shopped TVs, Best Buy used to run a loop with a lot of solid yellows and blues, and some of the TVs on display had clearly worse uniformity than others showing the store feed. After specifically trying to rule out TV models with poor uniformity, I still ended up receiving a TV that had poor uniformity. In the end I kept it, simply because I found it less objectionable than some of the issues from other TVs. I'd certainly like my next TV to have better uniformity, so I'll again rule out TV models where I notice uniformity issues in a store.
alluringreality is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Q70 is better. Higher color volume and gamut. Has freesync 2. Produce brighter HDR highlights. Has HDR 10+ which is essentially same as DV. There is more DV support than HDR 10+ though to be fair.
HDR 10plus is not the same as dobly vison, dobly vison is a lot better as a matter of fact you can barely tell the difference between hdr 10 and 10plus.

techvader is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruc3L3r0y View Post
Unless you were watching your own source material at Best Buy with the picture settings dialed in, I would have to disagree. The TVs at Best Buy or any other retail stores have the TVs set to retail mode and most likely in Dynamic mode which no real home user would ever use. I have the Q80 and have no DSE that I can make out, excellent uniformity, and it doesn't crush black details. Of course this is once I have configured the picture settings properly.
Same here. Q70r no DSE or uniformity issues. Great set. Black levels are truly impressive.
srkmish is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 04-12-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
player002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,222
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by techvader View Post
HDR 10plus is not the same as dobly vison, dobly vison is a lot better as a matter of fact you can barely tell the difference between hdr 10 and 10plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bmH6HN0mY&t=1s
Currently I agree as hardly any HDR10+ content. However once mastered correctly they both do the same thing.

My set up
LG 65B7 | Samsung KS8000 |Sony 55XBR 930D |Samsung 55Q7 Samsung 60F8500 |LG Oled 55C8
LG Oled 65C8 |Samsung 65 Q9FNSamsung 55 Q8FN | Sony 65 900F |Samsung 65 NU8000
Onkyo TX-NR545 + Dolby Atmos Speakers |Xbox One X |Ps4 Pro |PS VR |Oculus Rift
AMD Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 + Mining Rigs Samsung Galaxy S8
player002 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 04-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Q70 is better. Higher color volume and gamut. Has freesync 2. Produce brighter HDR highlights. Has HDR 10+ which is essentially same as DV. There is more DV support than HDR 10+ though to be fair.
How is it essentially the same with no content to compare to DV?

Let’s see you have a company like DOlby who have the best PQ engineers in the business versus a bunch of tech companies trying to create an open standard and failing miserably. We don’t know if they are throwing their best people at the problem. Even Panasonic gave up and is doing all of them this year.

Look I have worked for high tech companies all my life it’s like saying “near enough is good enough”. It never is and never has been unless you test the tech side by side which is why smart companies do proof value. It’s only than you really begin to see the differences in the offering.

Here is an example Cisco and Brocade have an mpls feature called fast reroute. Essentially if a path is lost it has inside the protocols a mechanism to quickly establish another path. The mpls standard says your supposed to use a different identifier to establish a new path. However Brocade reuse the old identifier which causes the Cisco gear to drop the establishment request. Everything times out after a period and than brocade creates a new path with a new identifier and everything is fine. On the spec sheets it says fast reroute. In practice both vendors do what they think is closest to the standards.

The point I’m trying to make is saying they essentially the same without content is making a huge assumption. You may be right maybe people will not notice any difference. Never been a fan on buying into future features or updates. Again I can offer a myriad of examples why that is bad idea and I’m sure there are a bunch of reasons why people have good belief systems saying it’s a good to have options in the future. How long is a piece of string argument.
geoffo11 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone notice dark corners on either set?
FUZCO is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 04-14-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BRAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,877
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
Q70 is better. Higher color volume and gamut. Has freesync 2. Produce brighter HDR highlights. Has HDR 10+ which is essentially same as DV. There is more DV support than HDR 10+ though to be fair.
I find it hard to believe that the Q70 produces brighter HDR highlights. I would appreciate some insight on how you determined this as fact. Link please?

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
BRAC is online now  
post #17 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZCO View Post
Anyone notice dark corners on either set?
I would say the corners on the 75" X950F were dimmer than the center for the one on display at Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC, similar to the 75" Z9F that it was setup beside. It wouldn't be a deal-killer to me, because I think all large TVs have some uniformity issues, but it's probably something that should be judged for yourself. Sony is usually my go-to first choice, so I'm probably not completely impartial for giving them a pass on this.

My first impression of the 75" Q70R the night before at Best Buy was far more tentative. The picture just looked flat to me for some reason. Typically I tend to like screens that are more matte than others, but I thought the glossier screens nearby gave a better first impression. It looked like the Planet of the Apes video loop might have been intended to show a solid white background with a Samsung logo in the middle at one point, and if that's the case their Q70R probably had below average uniformity.

The 75" Q80R at Nebraska Furniture Mart was setup by the Sonys and an X900F. With the store feed and typical torch mode, I didn't see much to either recommend or eliminate it from consideration compared to the Sonys. The Q80R looked both better and worse than the Sonys at certain points in the store feed, but it never looked "inky" like the OLEDs, so I wouldn't expect the Q80R or Q90R to have exceptional native contrast. Both the Q80R and Q70R did show less information near black in certain scenes than the nearby TVs in store mode, but it's not something I'd use for making a purchase decision, since that could be influenced by settings. On second viewing the 75" and 82" Q70R again just looked flat to me compared to most of the other TVs on display, so it's not the sort of thing that I would recommend for a blind buy for Q8FN money.
alluringreality is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
I would say the corners on the 75" X950F were dimmer than the center for the one on display at Nebraska Furniture Mart in KC, similar to the 75" Z9F that it was setup beside. It wouldn't be a deal-killer to me, because I think all large TVs have some uniformity issues, but it's probably something that should be judged for yourself. Sony is usually my go-to first choice, so I'm probably not completely impartial for giving them a pass on this.

My first impression of the 75" Q70R the night before at Best Buy was far more tentative. The picture just looked flat to me for some reason. Typically I tend to like screens that are more matte than others, but I thought the glossier screens nearby gave a better first impression. It looked like the Planet of the Apes video loop might have been intended to show a solid white background with a Samsung logo in the middle at one point, and if that's the case their Q70R probably had below average uniformity.

The 75" Q80R at Nebraska Furniture Mart was setup by the Sonys and an X900F. With the store feed and typical torch mode, I didn't see much to either recommend or eliminate it from consideration compared to the Sonys. The Q80R looked both better and worse than the Sonys at certain points in the store feed, but it never looked "inky" like the OLEDs, so I wouldn't expect the Q80R or Q90R to have exceptional native contrast. Both the Q80R and Q70R did show less information near black in certain scenes than the nearby TVs in store mode, but it's not something I'd use for making a purchase decision, since that could be influenced by settings. On second viewing the 75" and 82" Q70R again just looked flat to me compared to most of the other TVs on display, so it's not the sort of thing that I would recommend for a blind buy for Q8FN money.
Did you find the X950g to be superior to the Q70 then?
FUZCO is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alluringreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,284
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I haven't compared enough displays to say that one is necessarily better than another. If I was buying over the weekend, I likely would have chosen the 75" X950G, Q80R, or Q8FN over the Q70R. My impression of the Q70R may have been mainly related to screen finish. I didn't turn off the TVs to see how they might deal with reflections differently. I'm not exactly sure what it is about the Q70R that I described as flat and more matte, but the Q70R store mode image somehow appeared somewhat muted, washed out, or less dynamic by comparison to the others. Screen finish just seems like the most plausible explanation for what it was that caught my attention as being inherently different on the Q70R, which is the sort of thing where I tend to just go with my own opinion.
alluringreality is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I respectfully disagree. I have the 65Q70R and it has beautiful picture. It has that characteristic Samsung 'pop' and the black levels are excellent. The picture seems flat only in movie mode, but in all other modes(I like Standard the best), the picture has a nice '3d' feel to it. Of course, it is no OLED but I am happy enough to order a 82 inch version of the same in a few months.
srkmish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off