2019 Sony X850G (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 103 Old 06-10-2019, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
mithras1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
It seems like the 850g is a copy paste of the 850f in the 85" size so yes, it should have full array backlighting. Only difference I can see is that they added support for DV in the newer g model. Since both TVs seem identical, maybe they'll add DV support to the older f model in a firmware update. There's tons more reviews/user input on the 85x850f if you want more details.

Edit: And to answer your original question about if the price difference; I looked at the two not too long ago (850f & 900f) and they were nearly identical. I would say that it wasn't worth the price difference. Not sure if I would even pay $200 more.
The main difference is that the G is on their new Android TV platform. It's the new SoC that supports DV natively so no the F is not backwards compatible ...
And on a set like this Dolby Vision can make quite a difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
Personally, picture quality completely aside, if the processor in the 900F is the same as the 'new' 800G, I wouldn't buy it. I have been testing a 65X850G (which has a newer processor) and a 65X800G (which has the older processor) and now I can finally see why people don't like Android TV if this has been their experience.

In short, either stick with the 850G or jump to the 950G if you can afford it is my opinion.
Is the 800G on Oreo already? (just curious) In Europe the firmware has been re-instated only recently ...
In the meanwhile Philips in Europe is ready to bring Android TV 9 (Pie) to 2019 models (that have slowly started to being released, wayyy behind but seems a newer Mediatek SoC might be the reason for the delay).

Last edited by mithras1; 06-10-2019 at 03:53 AM.
mithras1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 103 Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
LondonBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
Is the 800G on Oreo already? (just curious) In Europe the firmware has been re-instated only recently ...
In the meanwhile Philips in Europe is ready to bring Android TV 9 (Pie) to 2019 models (that have slowly started to being released, wayyy behind but seems a newer Mediatek SoC might be the reason for the delay).
No the 800G is on Nougat (version 7) with no updates available "OTA" currently to get it on Oreo here in the US. It just feels so dated now in comparison to Oreo.
LondonBenji is offline  
post #63 of 103 Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 AM
Member
 
JBran24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: McDonough, Georgia
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I keep waiting for some reviews of the 85" x850g, but given that my viewing would primarily be in a darkened room I think the FALD on the x900F may be worth the money. However, I'm replacing a Sony HW40ES projector. Compared to that, the brightness and contrast on the x850G may still be better.

Last edited by JBran24; 06-12-2019 at 06:46 AM.
JBran24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 103 Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
batlin27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just picked up the 65" at Costco on Monday. I was trying to calibrate it yesterday using DVE HD (1080p version) and I just could not get it to configure right. What settings are you all using for color? Has anyone gone though the DVE calibration?
Also, the instructions on line state that I need to put the HDMI ports into HDMI Enhanced Format mode yes I cannot seem to find this setting. Can anyone help?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my theater build thread Theater on the Fairways Build
batlin27 is offline  
post #65 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 04:53 AM
Member
 
FTJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rting Review

Background...I played the panel lottery on the Vizio P75-F1 and lost. Returning to Costco and was looking at the Samsung 65" Q7DR (Q70R) which has a 15% rebate from Samsung through Costco. Sent the wife in to check it out and she liked the Sony 75" 850G which is $700 more.

I'll take any thoughts on which seems better (is bigger really always better?) but real question is is there an RTINGS review on the 850G I can't seem to find? Is it due to only being in the warehouse stores except for the 85"?
FTJoe is offline  
post #66 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 04:58 AM
Member
 
mr645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonBenji View Post
It's never going to be good and my experience on what is 'great' is limited, keep in mind I haven't even messed with the settings much but you can clearly see the backlight a lot while watching the recent Game Of Thrones.
I have had this set for a week now. Still have not had a lot of time to calibrate. I also swapped out an older Pioneer receiver that would not pass 4k, then had to figure out which HDMI cable also choked on the 4k signal from the Sony X800 player. Got that sorted out and overall I am happy with the set. Blacks seems really good for a non OLED set. bars top and bottom do not look grey, even in a dark room.

So far, still using out of the box picture settings, the set is very bright, almost too bright for a dark room, color seems a little oversaturated, especially reds and orange and as I said above, the crop bars on UBR 4k movies seem pretty dark. I will work on calibration over this weekend
mr645 is offline  
post #67 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 AM
Senior Member
 
batlin27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr645 View Post
I have had this set for a week now. Still have not had a lot of time to calibrate. I also swapped out an older Pioneer receiver that would not pass 4k, then had to figure out which HDMI cable also choked on the 4k signal from the Sony X800 player. Got that sorted out and overall I am happy with the set. Blacks seems really good for a non OLED set. bars top and bottom do not look grey, even in a dark room.

So far, still using out of the box picture settings, the set is very bright, almost too bright for a dark room, color seems a little over saturated, especially reds and orange and as I said above, the crop bars on UBR 4k movies seem pretty dark. I will work on calibration over this weekend
I also am having some issues with colors, I think over saturated is a good way to describe it, I run it connected to a PC and my home security system piped through and my wood floors (which have some red in them ) look REALLY red. Blues look almost purple.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my theater build thread Theater on the Fairways Build
batlin27 is offline  
post #68 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTJoe View Post
Background...I played the panel lottery on the Vizio P75-F1 and lost. Returning to Costco and was looking at the Samsung 65" Q7DR (Q70R) which has a 15% rebate from Samsung through Costco. Sent the wife in to check it out and she liked the Sony 75" 850G which is $700 more.

I'll take any thoughts on which seems better (is bigger really always better?) but real question is is there an RTINGS review on the 850G I can't seem to find? Is it due to only being in the warehouse stores except for the 85"?
"SONY X850G 4K HDR TV REVIEW/May 26, 2019"

Quote:
Update Note: the 55″, 65″ and 75″ models are now available at select retailers (Costco, Nebraska Furniture Mart) as the XBR850G/C
https://hdtvsandmore.com/sony-x850g-4k-hdr-tv-review

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #69 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Member
 
FTJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
"SONY X850G 4K HDR TV REVIEW/May 26, 2019"
Thanks. I did browse through the thread and saw that, really hoping for the Rtings comprehensive review so I can side by side. Also, I just noticed the 75" Q70R (Costco Q7DR) is available as well. After the 15% available for that size and model, it makes it $100 more (taxes aside) than the 75" 850G at Costco. I believe the Sammy is a much better TV. If anyone has an opinion I'd be happy to hear it. I might post on the Q70R thread asking there as well.



Thanks again.
Panson likes this.
FTJoe is offline  
post #70 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTJoe View Post
Thanks. I did browse through the thread and saw that, really hoping for the Rtings comprehensive review so I can side by side. Also, I just noticed the 75" Q70R (Costco Q7DR) is available as well. After the 15% available for that size and model, it makes it $100 more (taxes aside) than the 75" 850G at Costco. I believe the Sammy is a much better TV. If anyone has an opinion I'd be happy to hear it. I might post on the Q70R thread asking there as well.
Thanks again.
Your logic is likely valid since rtings side-by-sides Q70R with X950G. FWIW I'd take the X950G in that comparison.

If you haven't, you should confirm the exactness of Q70R and Q7DR.

Good luck. Have fun.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #71 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Member
 
FTJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Your logic is likely valid since rtings side-by-sides Q70R with X950G. FWIW I'd take the X950G in that comparison.

If you haven't, you should confirm the exactness of Q70R and Q7DR.

Good luck. Have fun.
Thanks Panson. Good point on the exactness. All I could see after comparing specs was this in the RTINGS review of the Q70r this mention:

"Update 05/31/2019: There is a minor variant of the Q70, known as the Q7DR. In Canada, it is a BestBuy exclusive, and in the U.S., it is a warehouse model (Sam's Club, Costco). The only difference appears to be the speakers, which increase from 40W to 60W, but we don't know for sure, as there is some conflicting information."

I looked on Samsung's site and apparently the D has a silver bezel and it looks like the remote is slightly different. Also might come with the connect box? I heard folks bashing that. Again, thanks!!


Samsung OneRemote (TM-1950A)

One Connect Box™

One Invisible Connection™


Again, thanks!!
Panson likes this.
FTJoe is offline  
post #72 of 103 Old 06-14-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTJoe View Post
Thanks Panson. Good point on the exactness. All I could see after comparing specs was this in the RTINGS review of the Q70r this mention:

"Update 05/31/2019: There is a minor variant of the Q70, known as the Q7DR. In Canada, it is a BestBuy exclusive, and in the U.S., it is a warehouse model (Sam's Club, Costco). The only difference appears to be the speakers, which increase from 40W to 60W, but we don't know for sure, as there is some conflicting information."

I looked on Samsung's site and apparently the D has a silver bezel and it looks like the remote is slightly different. Also might come with the connect box? I heard folks bashing that. Again, thanks!!


Samsung OneRemote (TM-1950A)

One Connect Box™

One Invisible Connection™


Again, thanks!!
rtings - "Unlike last year's Q7FN, the Q70R does not come with the One Connect Box."

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #73 of 103 Old 06-15-2019, 04:50 AM
Member
 
mr645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last night watch my first 4k UBR movie, Captain Marvell. Nothing bad about the picture was revealed. Tone and brightness was very uniform across the entire screen, contrast and brightness are excellent. No, it does not have the deep blacks like OLED but I would say there are no regular LED TVs that are markedly better. The crop bars top and bottom were not perfect black but never grey enough to be distracting. In a dark room they simply blended away. I never noticed any blooming, edge glow or lack of contrast. Overall I am very happy with my choice for a large TV. I have still not been able to view the new LG 86" 8070 set which was my other choice but two retailers I visited both seemed less than thrilled with LED LG sets and suggested Sony to Samsung instead.

I am still running out of the box TV setting, still working on audio set up. I upgraded from a Pioneer VSX-32 to the LX-503 at the same time and for some reason I am having a little trouble getting the subs to blend properly with the system. Hopefully I'll get that sorted out and have time to calibrate the screen this weekend.

Pioneer VSX-LX503
Parasound External amplification
Sony UBR-X800
Sony 85" X850G
Vandersteen 2Ce Signature for L&R
M&K LCR 750 Center and rear
2 SVS SB2000 subs

Last edited by mr645; 06-28-2019 at 04:13 AM.
mr645 is offline  
post #74 of 103 Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 AM
Member
 
FTJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
rtings - "Unlike last year's Q7FN, the Q70R does not come with the One Connect Box."

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled
Thanks again. Apologies for getting off topic on the subject TV. I'll bring this over to the Q70R thread. The spec sheet for the Q70R confirms that but my problem is the 2019 spec sheet for Q7DR shows the One Connect Box as an included accessory on page 3. It does not for each of the individual models.

https://image-us.samsung.com/Samsung...Spec_Sheet.pdf
FTJoe is offline  
post #75 of 103 Old 06-15-2019, 06:00 AM
Member
 
mr645's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also as I saw a few people asking about the X850G in other sizes. The cover of the manual clearly states that it is for the
XBR-85X850G / 75X850G / 65X850G and 55X850G models.
mr645 is offline  
post #76 of 103 Old 06-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
LondonBenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr645 View Post
Also as I saw a few people asking about the X850G in other sizes. The cover of the manual clearly states that it is for the
XBR-85X850G / 75X850G / 65X850G and 55X850G models.
Yes, the 55/65/75 are only sold in Costco/Sam's Club, the 85 is sold everywhere else.
LondonBenji is offline  
post #77 of 103 Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by batlin27 View Post
I also am having some issues with colors, I think over saturated is a good way to describe it, I run it connected to a PC and my home security system piped through and my wood floors (which have some red in them ) look REALLY red. Blues look almost purple.
I have the 75x850g. I love the TV so far. But it is a pain to calibrate it. Sony did not make it easy. Some tv's still have the RGB filters that allow you get the color to a more accurate state, this unit does not have that(as far as I know same goes for all new Sony Units). 4K HDR is more of a pain to calibrate though. This unit like other Sony units has the 10 point Color Gamma adjustments. In order to calibrate 4K tv's you really need a colorimeter(someone can correct me if I am wrong). There are are various patterns you can get from here on avsforums, like these www[dot]avsforum[dot]com/forum/139-display-calibration/2943380-hdr10-test-patterns-set.html

Now, some opinion

While I was deciding which 4k TV to buy I had looked at the following; x850G x900F, x950G, Q6DR, Q7DR and even the RU8000. The list eventually dwindled down to the the x850G and x950G. I ended up buying the x850G from Costco because it looked fantastic compared to the Q6DR and RU8000. Of course this is in store, where it's hard to tell. Another reason I went with the x850G was Costco's return policy, 90 Days! Plus if it goes down in price within that 90 days you get the difference. Most places are 30 days.

The picture quality is superb. The blacks are pretty damn good too. Are they at x950G or OLED levels, no of course not. Are they good enough to save 1500 bucks? Yes, absolutely. I read a lot of comments that take on these aspects while watching movies and other content. I was making what I would consider the same mistake. I ended up getting some 4k HDR video files from 4Kmedia.org and all I can really say is that I was blown away. You can use the Media Player that is found in the Input section. It will even play the Dolby Vision files and switch to DV automatically. I honestly think some negative comments stem from the content that we are watching. Even movies that are 4k HDR are sometimes Fake 4k. 4kmedia[dot]org has a list of them as well.

Last thing. As for the which type of panel the 75in uses, I have only found info on this site that says it's a VA www[dot]displayspecifications[dot]com/en/model/d2d11878

ps sorry about the links(second post)
Elitoh7one is offline  
post #78 of 103 Old 06-24-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitoh7one View Post
Last thing. As for the which type of panel the 75in uses
I thought it had been established that, Sony X850G 85" VA, Direct-lit. The rest of Sony X850G series, IPS, Edge-lit.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #79 of 103 Old 06-24-2019, 04:53 PM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I thought it had been established that, Sony X850G 85" VA, Direct-lit. The rest of Sony X850G series, IPS, Edge-lit.

I was under the same impression.

Cheers
Panson likes this.
Audioguy1 is offline  
post #80 of 103 Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I thought it had been established that, Sony X850G 85" VA, Direct-lit. The rest of Sony X850G series, IPS, Edge-lit.
The only info that I had before coming across displayspecifications.com, was here and no one said with 100% certainty that the models below 85 are IPS. Seemed like assumptions. This was the only site that gave specs for the 75(and below). I am not saying the site is 100% but it's the only solid info I have found.
Elitoh7one is offline  
post #81 of 103 Old 06-25-2019, 05:27 AM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitoh7one View Post
The only info that I had before coming across displayspecifications.com, was here and no one said with 100% certainty that the models below 85 are IPS. Seemed like assumptions. This was the only site that gave specs for the 75(and below). I am not saying the site is 100% but it's the only solid info I have found.
Thanks for the review.

This site calls the 85 inch a va panel.
https://hdtvsandmore.com/sony-x850g-4k-hdr-tv-review

This site lists the 85 va, all others IPS. Also lists all edge lit vs the 85 which is direct. Expand the "display tech" under the features heading.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/article...&id=1556694840

Best
Audioguy1 is offline  
post #82 of 103 Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I do think that as time goes by we'll get a more definitive answer. In my quest to try to find that answer I have looked for ways to tell if it is VA or IPS. I know the basics of how to tell a VA vs IPS, but can't seem to figure this one out. It does fade at an angle but not that much. The Blacks are pretty deep, but I have "calibrated" my x850G so I attribute some of the black to my settings. It does have the characteristics of being Edge-lit, but the colors and contrast push me toward VA vs IPS. Can anyone point to a definitive way to figure out if its VA or IPS?

Thank you for the two sites you pointed out. Between the two sites, flatpanelhd and displayspecifications, there is conflicting info about various models. Even within the flatpanelhd forums they are complaining about conflicting info.
Elitoh7one is offline  
post #83 of 103 Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 AM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitoh7one View Post
Can anyone point to a definitive way to figure out if its VA or IPS
Look closely with a magnifying glass, chevrons IPS, rectangles VA. Also if you press gently(I said gently)on the screen VA's will bloom, IPS does not.

Wouldn't try the screen press if I was you, you can cause permanent damage if not done right.

Best
Audioguy1 is offline  
post #84 of 103 Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
Look closely with a magnifying glass, chevrons IPS, rectangles VA. Also if you press gently(I said gently)on the screen VA's will bloom, IPS does not.

Wouldn't try the screen press if I was you, you can cause permanent damage if not done right.

Best
I would try the tap if I was in the store. But either way I think the verdict is in. I believe it is IPS and have attached an image so everyone can come up with their own conclusions

It was a pain to get that image too. Again this is the 75x850G we are talking about. I can't vouch for any other model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75x850G.png
Views:	44
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2584700  
Elitoh7one is offline  
post #85 of 103 Old 06-26-2019, 04:32 PM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitoh7one View Post
I would try the tap if I was in the store. But either way I think the verdict is in. I believe it is IPS and have attached an image so everyone can come up with their own conclusions

It was a pain to get that image too. Again this is the 75x850G we are talking about. I can't vouch for any other model.
Chevrons, IPS, now you know. 85's are supposed to be VA's, from what I've read it's the norm for 85" screens. IPS's have the advantage in wider viewing angles, VA's have better contrast.

Cheers
Audioguy1 is offline  
post #86 of 103 Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Agreed about IPS vs VA. Maybe it's based on what's acceptable and what isn't. Maybe 85in is pushing different boundaries as to how far the light will travel which is why it needs to be direct lit. I can tell you with the 75 it is very well lit and gets super bright. As stated before, where it does suffer is extreme dark scenes. Though the blacks it does produce are pretty good I think. This is where the x950G should excel or any FALD for that matter.

For people who care and are trying to make decisions, this has been my experience so far. When a movie has crop bars you may see a bit of light bleed but that can kind of be dealt with by adjusting the Gamma and contrast settings. I found that with HDR content I had to bump up the gamma. A good movie to test is "Interstellar". It has many scenes that were shot in 70mm so the crop bars come and go. When the crop bars appear you can see some of the light bleed, but at these points you are paying attention and looking for the imperfections.

How much better is direct lit vs edge? Direct lit doesn't give local dimming, correct? IPS also is know to have better refresh rates compared to VA.
Elitoh7one is offline  
post #87 of 103 Old 06-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Have you tried the calibration disks(Disney WOW or Spears and Munsil)? There's also apps out now. Be wary, you need a 4K calibration.

Cheers
Audioguy1 is offline  
post #88 of 103 Old 06-27-2019, 12:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I ended up using HCFR, the UHD calibration files found here and a ColorMunki Display colorimeter. The results were very good I think. I did originally start with Spears and Munsil but realized very quickly that it wasn't doing much. I did have to read a good amount of posts about UHD calibration to get where I finally came to. If it there was anything that made me frustrated with this TV it was calibration for sure. Sony uses a different method of calibrating UHD/HDR/SDR/etc(which I'm sure a lot of Sony users know now).
Elitoh7one is offline  
post #89 of 103 Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 AM
Member
 
gusbuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I asked Sony directly about IPS or VA for 850G

Yesterday I semt a message directly to Sony via FB Messenger, as in the past they had been very helpful in solving problems I had with vqarious SOny devices/TVs in our house. Here is how the conversation went.

ME: "Hello there. I am soon to replace a near 8 year old Sony KDL60EX701 TV. My question is specifically on the new 850G series sold in warehouse stores. What type of panel are the 65" and 75" sizes of the new 850G? I need the wider viewing angles of an IPS panel due to my seating setup. Are the 65 and 75 inch models VA panels or IPS panels? Can't seem to find this info anywhere online. Thanks so much for answering my question."

SONY: "Hi! Sony does not publish panel type other than LCD or OLED. Sony leaves this and other things like luminance tests to reviewers. You may consider checking the rting website as they have this information.

Regards,

Erin
Sony Social Support"

Me: "This seems like a ridiculous policy, given that people have certain preferences for panel types given their room setup/situation. To rely on third party review sites for this most basic info is just poor customer service. Rtings.com has yet to even review the 850G series, and may not review it at all. Then what does a potential customer do?"

SONY: crickets............

Am I wrong in thinking that the panel type should not be a secret? Why is this some closely held secret of Sony's? And what kind of policy is it to direct a potential customer to a third party review site to get basic information?
gusbuf is offline  
post #90 of 103 Old 06-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuf View Post
Yesterday I semt a message directly to Sony via FB Messenger, as in the past they had been very helpful in solving problems I had with vqarious SOny devices/TVs in our house. Here is how the conversation went.

ME: "Hello there. I am soon to replace a near 8 year old Sony KDL60EX701 TV. My question is specifically on the new 850G series sold in warehouse stores. What type of panel are the 65" and 75" sizes of the new 850G? I need the wider viewing angles of an IPS panel due to my seating setup. Are the 65 and 75 inch models VA panels or IPS panels? Can't seem to find this info anywhere online. Thanks so much for answering my question."

SONY: "Hi! Sony does not publish panel type other than LCD or OLED. Sony leaves this and other things like luminance tests to reviewers. You may consider checking the rting website as they have this information.

Regards,

Erin
Sony Social Support"

Me: "This seems like a ridiculous policy, given that people have certain preferences for panel types given their room setup/situation. To rely on third party review sites for this most basic info is just poor customer service. Rtings.com has yet to even review the 850G series, and may not review it at all. Then what does a potential customer do?"

SONY: crickets............

Am I wrong in thinking that the panel type should not be a secret? Why is this some closely held secret of Sony's? And what kind of policy is it to direct a potential customer to a third party review site to get basic information?
Strange policy. Sometimes it's the customer service rep that's not in the know.

My cousin bought a Samsung plasma way back. Had issues with screen burn in, called Samsung, rep never even heard of it. Seems customer service is a thing of the past.

Best
Audioguy1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off