2019 Sony X850G (No Price Talk) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #91 of 189 Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuf View Post
Yesterday I semt a message directly to Sony via FB Messenger, as in the past they had been very helpful in solving problems I had with vqarious SOny devices/TVs in our house. Here is how the conversation went.

ME: "Hello there. I am soon to replace a near 8 year old Sony KDL60EX701 TV. My question is specifically on the new 850G series sold in warehouse stores. What type of panel are the 65" and 75" sizes of the new 850G? I need the wider viewing angles of an IPS panel due to my seating setup. Are the 65 and 75 inch models VA panels or IPS panels? Can't seem to find this info anywhere online. Thanks so much for answering my question."

SONY: "Hi! Sony does not publish panel type other than LCD or OLED. Sony leaves this and other things like luminance tests to reviewers. You may consider checking the rting website as they have this information.

Regards,

Erin
Sony Social Support"

Me: "This seems like a ridiculous policy, given that people have certain preferences for panel types given their room setup/situation. To rely on third party review sites for this most basic info is just poor customer service. Rtings.com has yet to even review the 850G series, and may not review it at all. Then what does a potential customer do?"

SONY: crickets............

Am I wrong in thinking that the panel type should not be a secret? Why is this some closely held secret of Sony's? And what kind of policy is it to direct a potential customer to a third party review site to get basic information?
I honestly doubt it is policy and agree with @Audioguy1 that it's more the person not knowing. Plus its Facebook so..... you're probably chatting with Abraham Lincoln from over seas(not trying to be an a--).

Have you tried chatting with support directly from the Sony support site? https://us.esupport.sony.com/support...guage=en_US#tv

Did you really need an IPS panel or where you just trying to get a definitive answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 189 Old 06-28-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've dealt with Erin before when I had my 850D issues around input lag. I think it is literally a bot and not a real person with preformated answers. I don't think anyone from sony, samsung, or TCL, and I have had all three do any type of quality customer service.
post #93 of 189 Old 06-28-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitoh7one View Post
I honestly doubt it is policy and agree with @Audioguy1 that it's more the person not knowing. Plus its Facebook so..... you're probably chatting with Abraham Lincoln from over seas(not trying to be an a--).

Have you tried chatting with support directly from the Sony support site? https://us.esupport.sony.com/support...guage=en_US#tv

Did you really need an IPS panel or where you just trying to get a definitive answer?
I did the screen tap at Costco. It looked like an IPS to me. I'm trying to decide if its worth 400 dollar for the VA panel on the 950g. Of couse there is FALD to consider as well. I honestly never mess with the FALD on my TCL, and realized I have been more than happy using it with the FALD off for several months now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 189 Old 06-28-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethpuck View Post
I did the screen tap at Costco. It looked like an IPS to me. I'm trying to decide if its worth 400 dollar for the VA panel on the 950g. Of couse there is FALD to consider as well. I honestly never mess with the FALD on my TCL, and realized I have been more than happy using it with the FALD off for several months now.
If I was after a 65in I would maybe do the jump. Processor is supposedly better, FALD is better and it is IMAX enhanced. You can do what I did, buy it at Costco, give yourself the 90 days to decide and in the mean time see if the prices go down to something more reasonable. The 75x950g is outrageously more than the 75x850g, so it was easier to make that decision but I still have about 70 days left to decide
post #95 of 189 Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I would try the tap if I was in the store. But either way I think the verdict is in. I believe it is IPS and have attached an image so everyone can come up with their own conclusions

It was a pain to get that image too. Again this is the 75x850G we are talking about. I can't vouch for any other model.
Seems the 85" X850G is different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85X850G.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2586384  
post #96 of 189 Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr645 View Post
Seems the 85" X850G is different.
Right, 85 inch are VA''s all other sizes are IPS(Better viewing angles). VA's have better contrast ratio's. Did you take that pic yourself of an 85 850g?

Best
post #97 of 189 Old 07-01-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
Right, 85 inch are VA''s all other sizes are IPS(Better viewing angles). VA's have better contrast ratio's. Did you take that pic yourself of an 85 850g?

Best
Yes, a macro photo I took of my 85" X850G with a white screen displayed.

And I would say the viewing angle on the 85" VA panel X850G is very good. Color, contrast and brightness hold up at any reasonable viewing angle. Anyone sitting far enough from center to loose image quality is probably not someone who would notice. My wife watches from the kitchen which puts her at around 60-70° viewing angle and the color is normals, totally viewable even at that extreme viewing angle.
LondonBenji likes this.
post #98 of 189 Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I picked up a 65” model a few weeks ago from Costco. It had been working great until the other night when it suddenly would not detect any WiFi signals. The only way I could fix it was to do a hard reset. Has anyone else run into this issue with this or any other Sony models?
post #99 of 189 Old 07-05-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46&2+2=5 View Post
I picked up a 65” model a few weeks ago from Costco. It had been working great until the other night when it suddenly would not detect any WiFi signals. The only way I could fix it was to do a hard reset. Has anyone else run into this issue with this or any other Sony models?
Wifi no, but I did have an issue with the remote where it was dropping connection via bluetooth. The voice features weren't working. I had tried troubleshooting it with the steps Sony provided in their FAQ's. That helped for about 3 days. Then I contacted their Chat support. What at first I thought was a BS solution actually fixed the problem. Their solution was for me to unplug the power from TV for 1min. Haven't had an issue since. Their explanation was that bluetooth module had some static energy that was causing it to disconnect. Sounds like BS, I know, but I haven't had issues since.

On another note. Anyone with a Nvidia Shield have any issues with these two together?
post #100 of 189 Old 07-05-2019, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I'm not sure if it's related or not because I always use wired Ethernet but one thing I have noticed with the 850G is that one of its drawbacks of being SO incredibly quick is that it's SO fast at coming out of standby that if you left it in an app, the app actually resumes quicker than the TV can bring the Ethernet interface back up and so the app immediately states that it cannot connect to the internet, causing you to need to back out of the app and go back in again and in some instances, have to force stop the app before it will recognise that there is connectivity now.
post #101 of 189 Old 07-11-2019, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone with the 85 inch 850g have any reviews/opinions on it? Looking to possibly get one
post #102 of 189 Old 07-11-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Me too. I have to convince the wife that 85"s in the LR will be OK. I could use some testimony to help me out.

Jack
post #103 of 189 Old 07-11-2019, 11:50 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Quote:
Wifi no, but I did have an issue with the remote where it was dropping connection via bluetooth. The voice features weren't working. I had tried troubleshooting it with the steps Sony provided in their FAQ's. That helped for about 3 days. Then I contacted their Chat support. What at first I thought was a BS solution actually fixed the problem. Their solution was for me to unplug the power from TV for 1min. Haven't had an issue since. Their explanation was that bluetooth module had some static energy that was causing it to disconnect. Sounds like BS, I know, but I haven't had issues since.

On another note. Anyone with a Nvidia Shield have any issues with these two together?
Thanks for this. I have been having the exact same problem you describe with the remote coming unpaired. I’ll try unplugging the TV. Classic IT solution. Love it.

FWIW to anyone else, my WiFi problem hasn’t repeated itself; the only thing I can narrow down that could have been to blame is that I had recently connected a soundbar around that time, so maybe there was some sort of similar static energy interference. No clue. Might get around to switching to Ethernet like Benji suggests below. Why are these damn things so finnicky?? (lol)
post #104 of 189 Old 07-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Not sure if this was made official here yet or not, but regarding the panel type of these screens, I found out info from a Sony rep. Was live chatting the other day with a big 3-letter electronics store based in the Chicago area (not sure if I'm allowed to say per forum rules, however, they are very well known). The asked the sales rep in the chat about panel tech. He said he was fairly sure but would contact his Sony TV rep and email me within two hours. He got back to me and said his Sony rep confirmed 65" and 75" as IPS, and 85" as VA. So there it is, direct from the Sony horse's mouth. As I need wider viewing angles, and my family likes to watch TV with some light on in the family room, the 65 and 75 are on my short list.
post #105 of 189 Old 07-20-2019, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Thanks for this. I have been having the exact same problem you describe with the remote coming unpaired. I’ll try unplugging the TV. Classic IT solution. Love it.

FWIW to anyone else, my WiFi problem hasn’t repeated itself; the only thing I can narrow down that could have been to blame is that I had recently connected a soundbar around that time, so maybe there was some sort of similar static energy interference. No clue. Might get around to switching to Ethernet like Benji suggests below. Why are these damn things so finnicky?? (lol)
My 900e occasionally will say no Internet available when looking at the network status panel, all I do is tell the TV to switch from my 2.4 to the 5g network or vice versa and the problem is solved. Happens about once a month.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #106 of 189 Old 07-20-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this was made official here yet or not, but regarding the panel type of these screens, I found out info from a Sony rep. Was live chatting the other day with a big 3-letter electronics store based in the Chicago area (not sure if I'm allowed to say per forum rules, however, they are very well known). The asked the sales rep in the chat about panel tech. He said he was fairly sure but would contact his Sony TV rep and email me within two hours. He got back to me and said his Sony rep confirmed 65" and 75" as IPS, and 85" as VA. So there it is, direct from the Sony horse's mouth. As I need wider viewing angles, and my family likes to watch TV with some light on in the family room, the 65 and 75 are on my short list.
Thanks!
post #107 of 189 Old 07-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Liked: 10
Question

I've heard in the past that the warehouse models are sometimes watered down or missing features. Is that still the case in general? Or with this model?
post #108 of 189 Old 07-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Measurements needed please!

I am asking owners of the 75" 850G if they would be so kind as to take a measurement for me. It is one that is not included anywhere in any printed materials related to this TV. I would be very appreciative if someone could measure from the front of the screen straight out to the far ti of one of the stand legs. I have a unique situation where I have a custom wall unit that has a protruding shelf about 40" higher than the base are where the TV will sit. I have a few inches to play with as the upper protruding shelf does not stick out as far as the the base where my TV will sit. Hence why this measurement would be very helpful to me. I am hoping I can squeeze in a 75" TV, even if the top of the TV blocks the upper shelf by an inch or so. Otherwise, I have to go 65". I am replacing a 60" Sony KDL60-EX701, so going from 60" to 65" is only a 17% increase in screen area. I would much rather REALLY upgrade the size to a 75". I have attached a couple photos so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to get this measurement for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190720_162425.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	2593080   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190720_162513.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	523.7 KB
ID:	2593084  
post #109 of 189 Old 07-21-2019, 04:02 PM

Found a new 85" X850G unboxing & review. The unboxing is a bit(I said a bit) of a nail biter. FN big ass tv.

Cheers
post #110 of 189 Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I am asking owners of the 75" 850G if they would be so kind as to take a measurement for me. It is one that is not included anywhere in any printed materials related to this TV. I would be very appreciative if someone could measure from the front of the screen straight out to the far ti of one of the stand legs. I have a unique situation where I have a custom wall unit that has a protruding shelf about 40" higher than the base are where the TV will sit. I have a few inches to play with as the upper protruding shelf does not stick out as far as the the base where my TV will sit. Hence why this measurement would be very helpful to me. I am hoping I can squeeze in a 75" TV, even if the top of the TV blocks the upper shelf by an inch or so. Otherwise, I have to go 65". I am replacing a 60" Sony KDL60-EX701, so going from 60" to 65" is only a 17% increase in screen area. I would much rather REALLY upgrade the size to a 75". I have attached a couple photos so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to get this measurement for me.
This is for the 85" (seems like 7" in the front and 17 1/8 in total)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-22 85X850G_Cut_Sheet pdf.png
Views:	262
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	2593360  
post #111 of 189 Old 07-22-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post

Much appreciated! However, I don't think its wise to assume the 75" has the same size support feet as the 85". So anyone with the 75", if you could get the measurements like mithras1 that would be awesome!
post #112 of 189 Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:

BTW, where did you get this schematic? Did you draw this yourself?
post #113 of 189 Old 07-22-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
Found a new 85" X850G unboxing & review. The unboxing is a bit(I said a bit) of a nail biter. FN big ass tv.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zF9nmZ8dL7U

Cheers
Thanks for that link.

I'll be damned, I have the exact same Panasonic 720P projector but still on the original bulb and over 6K hours with a 96 inch Vutec SilverStar screen. I don't want to give up the 11 inch diagonal difference , but could live with it. This fall I want to check out what is out there in 1280P or 4K projectors near the $2,000 area and what the difference is after 10 years of projector evolution. My one issue is that the PJ is about 16 1/2 feet from lens to screen and that limits what PJs will work.

I have a 50 inch 4K Samsung LED tv on the side wall for nightly viewing for short moments and save the PJ for Fri to Sunday use. At 16 or so feet away from the screen I think I will see the difference between 720 P and 1280P but not with 4K and I don't plan on getting an UHD player or signing up for 4K via Netflix .

The infrastructure is in place for a PJ swap and I am perfectly happy with my Pioneer Elite receiver with the Digital amps from several years ago and matching blue ray player . Maybe new speaker cables and HDMI cables to upgrade but biggest decision is betwen 85 inch screen vs 96 inch screen. If there was an announcement of a 90 inch TV that was not in the stratosphere, that would really by a choice.

I'm a very patient guy.
post #114 of 189 Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
BTW, where did you get this schematic? Did you draw this yourself?
Just google for 'X850G cutsheet' or 'X850G cutsheet pdf' , normally they are there for mulitple sizes but so far not for the X850G; just the 85" one ...

Quote:
Much appreciated! However, I don't think its wise to assume the 75" has the same size support feet as the 85". So anyone with the 75", if you could get the measurements like mithras1 that would be awesome!
Quite right but I wouldn't think it would be more for the 75 than the 85". Although we do have a more unique situation here in that the 85" is direct lit and the 75" edge so possibly slimmer.

For the X950G at least the distance is smaller for the 75" than the 85" (the actual stand also seems to be a smaller version).

Last edited by mithras1; 07-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.
post #115 of 189 Old 07-22-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Just google for 'X850G cutsheet' or 'X850G cutsheet pdf' , normally they are there for mulitple sizes but so far not for the X850G; just the 85" one ...

Quite right but I wouldn't think it would be more for the 75 than the 85". Although we do have a more unique situation here in that the 85" is direct lit and the 75" edge so possibly slimmer.

For the X950G at least the distance is smaller for the 75" than the 85" (the actual stand also seems to be a smaller version).
Just found the SOny website with this info. Of course, they do not have what I need. Murphy's Law! Anyway, for anyone interested, here is the link: http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/documentation.php
post #116 of 189 Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlesh04 View Post
Anyone with the 85 inch 850g have any reviews/opinions on it? Looking to possibly get one
I have had mine for a little over a month. Happy with the set. No issues with it working. Excellent color, very good contrast. Blacks are dark enough so the 2.35:1 bars are not distracting even in darkened rooms. Some movies have less than ideal blacks it seems but some movies display very dark blacks on this set so I can't really blame the set I don't think. Very uniform brightness corner to corner. The X850G also does a really good job upscaling 1080p content.
post #117 of 189 Old 07-24-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr645 View Post
I have had mine for a little over a month. Happy with the set. No issues with it working. Excellent color, very good contrast. Blacks are dark enough so the 2.35:1 bars are not distracting even in darkened rooms. Some movies have less than ideal blacks it seems but some movies display very dark blacks on this set so I can't really blame the set I don't think. Very uniform brightness corner to corner. The X850G also does a really good job upscaling 1080p content.
That's good to hear. Really wish rtings would do a review
post #118 of 189 Old 07-24-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
That's good to hear. Really wish rtings would do a review
They just announced on their FB page that they have purchased a 65" X850G so we will know soon enough!

Spoiler!
post #119 of 189 Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomyte View Post
They just announced on their FB page that they have purchased a 65" X850G so we will know soon enough!
That's good to see. Only thing is that will be a IPS panel vs a VA panel for the 75 and 85
rynomyte likes this.
post #120 of 189 Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
That's good to see. Only thing is that will be a IPS panel vs a VA panel for the 75 and 85

Agreed but I'm pretty sure the 75" is IPS as well and only the 85" is VA. Check out posts 84 and 95 in this thread...

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page