2019 Sony X850G (No Price Talk) - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #211 of 254 Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post
Thanks Cheddar...finally someone with some feedback. I have it set to custom picture mode and HDMI cable feed. Sharpness set to 50.
@Kolgar is correct in that 50 is a high value, put on some football that shows the haloing and try reducing the sharpness setting in increments of 10. Let us know if that helps. I have it set on 25 on the sports mode, but I have a 900E
Kolgar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 254 Old 12-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
@Kolgar is correct in that 50 is a high value, put on some football that shows the haloing and try reducing the sharpness setting in increments of 10. Let us know if that helps. I have it set on 25 on the sports mode, but I have a 900E

Thanks will do.

beau
post #213 of 254 Old 12-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolgar View Post
Isn't a sharpness setting of 50 really high? I've only just bought my first 4K set, but with the older HD panels, I'd always heard it said that sharpness should be set to zero.

My own calibrations using the S&M Blu-ray on my main 1080p display dialed me into a sharpness level of 12 (out of 100).
Kolgar, thanks. Do you have this same tv? Do you mind sharing the settings? Thanks.

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 254 Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure of I which S&M blu ray calibration disc I should get. They have two . Thinking the UHD.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition
Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark (UHD Blu-ray Disc)

beau
post #215 of 254 Old 12-06-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Not sure of I which S&M blu ray calibration disc I should get. They have two . Thinking the UHD.

Spears & Munsil HD Benchmark and Calibration Disc 2nd Edition
Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark (UHD Blu-ray Disc)
HDR Benchmark, latest and greatest.

Cheers
post #216 of 254 Old 12-07-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey folks, is anyone experiencing lip-sync problems with your 850G? I have a cable box, Roku Ultra, and BD player (all set to output Dolby Digital or higher audio) connected to my Samsung Q90R TV...and the TV is connected to a Q80R soundbar (ARC). All of these external sources (and someone else reported the same problem with their X Box) have bad lip-sync issues that can't be fixed with tv and soundbar sync adjustments.

I am trying to find out if this problem is specific to Samsung. I'm still in the return period, and the Sony 850G or 950G (65") would be my "go to" alternatives. I just want to find out if any 850G owners, who have similar connections (an external source with DD audio connected to the TV, and the TV connected to a soundbar) have any lip-sync problems.

Thanks.
post #217 of 254 Old 12-17-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Received my set last week and hope to set it up today.

Box is huge. My wife and I struggled to get the feet on our 75" set in 2015 and I am anxious about doing that with this one today.

Read somewhere to lift off the top of the box, refill it with the styrofoam packing, and lay it down in front of the TV. Then lay the TV down flat on the box to put the feet on. Lift onto the stand, and voila.

I hope!

Anyone else have tips and advice?

Will stop back later with impressions.
Phamgia likes this.
post #218 of 254 Old 12-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Received my set last week and hope to set it up today.

Box is huge. My wife and I struggled to get the feet on our 75" set in 2015 and I am anxious about doing that with this one today.

Read somewhere to lift off the top of the box, refill it with the styrofoam packing, and lay it down in front of the TV. Then lay the TV down flat on the box to put the feet on. Lift onto the stand, and voila.

I hope!

Anyone else have tips and advice?

Will stop back later with impressions.
As per instructions after initial unpackaging, lower styrofoam is removed one side at a time for leg placement.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../47484241M.pdf

I would not lay it face down on the styrofoam, as it may dislodge and become a pressure point on the screen. Careful handling it as well, as your hands can cause damage to the panel if pressed upon in a wrong fashion.

Congrats on the giant tv, Super Bowl at your place then.

Best
post #219 of 254 Old 12-26-2019, 10:53 PM

At long last, the set is up and running.

Yes, installing the legs was easier than I'd thought. (Thanks, Audioguy1--it's just like you said!) Best Buy has a video of it here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/bby...wid=1732265868

After some unexpectedly necessary tinkering, I am very happy!

And by that, I mean this 4K stuff sure as hell is not plug and play. I wish I didn't have to feel silly for not knowing that only HDMI ports 2 and 3 on Sony TVs carry 4K HDR signals, or that I had to go deep into the menus to turn on their "Enhanced" features to even see benefits like HDR.

Then there was the matter of my receiver, a Sony STR-DN850 from 2015. Apparently, it does not pass HDR. I solved this by connecting my Xbox One directly to the TV and the TV to the receiver via the HDMI ARC port. After some additional fiddling in the receiver settings, it all plays nicely together.

I sort of had to forget all I knew about calibrating an SD TV (I am coming from a 2014 Samsung H7150 in 75" size), as I was tempted to turn down the contrast straight away. Turns out (duh), that's a no-no for HDR, and the difference between a contrast of 99 or 100 and, say, 95 is very significant.

Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, I clearly noticed increased details in textures and effects such as swirling dust motes. Colors are rich and vibrant, and lighting and reflections have much more impact than I ever saw before.

Motion handling seems great, too. Smooth and clear, just as it looked in the store.

I only watched a bit of TV through a Roku plugged into the back of the Xbox, but I was surprised how good it looked. We are using PS Vue (I'm so pissed that Sony is shutting it down), and while it only broadcasts in 720p, it looked better on this set than the 1080p Samsung we are coming from.

Netflix looked terrific. Even before I had set things to display at 4K HDR, and while I was still viewing standard HD material, the picture was gorgeous. Again, a big improvement from our older screen, and that's to say nothing of the additional impact of the humongous 85" screen.

Lots more to do--streaming 4K Netflix, watching more TV and BD movies and 4K BD movies. But so far, so great!

Tomorrow is an all-day game-a-thon with my friends, so that should be interesting.

Last edited by Kolgar; 12-27-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #220 of 254 Old 12-27-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:

Yes, installing the legs was easier than I'd thought. (Thanks, Audioguy1--it's just like you said!) Best Buy has a video of it here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/bby...wid=1732265868

After some unexpectedly necessary tinkering, I am very happy!

And by that, I mean this 4K stuff is sure as hell not plug and play. I wish I didn't have to feel silly for not knowing that only HDMI ports 2 and 3 on Sony TVs carry 4K HDR signals, or that I had to go deep into the menus to turn on their "Enhanced" features and even see the benefits of the TV.

Then there was the matter of my receiver, a Sony STR-DN850 from 2015. Apparently, it does not pass HDR. I solved this by connecting my Xbox One directly to the TV and the TV to the receiver via the HDMI ARC port. After some additional fiddling in the receiver settings, it all plays nicely together.

I sort of had to forget all that I knew about calibrating an SD TV (I am coming from a 2014 Samsung H7150 in 75" size), as I was tempted to turn down the contrast straight away. Turns out (duh), that's a no-no for HDR, and the difference between a contrast of 99 or 100 and, say, 95 is very significant.

Playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, I clearly noticed increased details in textures and effects such as swirling dust motes. Colors are rich and vibrant, and lighting and reflections have much more impact than I ever saw before.

Motion handling seems great, too. Smooth and clear, just as it looked in the store.

I only watched a bit of TV through a Roku plugged into the back of the Xbox, but I was surprised how good it looked. We are using PS Vue (I'm so pissed that Sony is shutting it down), and while it only broadcasts in 720p, it looked better on this set than the 1080p Samsung we are coming from.

Netflix looked terrific. Even before I had fixed everything to display at 4K HDR, and while I was still viewing standard HD material, the picture was gorgeous. Again, a large improvement from our older screen, and that's to say nothing of the additional impact of the humongous 85" screen.

Lots more to do--streaming 4K Netflix, watching more TV and BD movies and 4K BD movies. But so far, so great!

Tomorrow is an all-day game-athon with my friends, so that should be interesting.
Well done! Thanks for the review. Now onto calibration disks and bias lighting...or not.

Best
post #221 of 254 Old 12-27-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
Well done! Thanks for the review. Now onto calibration disks and bias lighting...or not.

Best
Indeed! Eager to run through my S&M calibration disk. I also have some LED light strips I will bring over from the old TV.
post #222 of 254 Old 12-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Kolgar, thanks. Do you have this same tv? Do you mind sharing the settings? Thanks.
Horsegoer, how did your calibration go? Are you happy with the picture? Has that haloing effect gone away?

I was a little surprised to see Rtings suggest a sharpness level of 50 (they say that is "neutral") for this set. I immediately lowered my setting to 22 or 25 but I'm curious what it looks like at 50.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850g/settings
post #223 of 254 Old 12-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

And by that, I mean this 4K stuff sure as hell is not plug and play. I wish I didn't have to feel silly for not knowing that only HDMI ports 2 and 3 on Sony TVs carry 4K HDR signals, or that I had to go deep into the menus to turn on their "Enhanced" features to even see benefits like HDR.
FYI ALL ports support HDR, it's just that ports 1&4 are limited to 10.2Gbps, this is more that sufficient to support 4K HDR through your Roku or most other streaming devices/services. Reserve Port 3 for your ARC/CEC capable AVR/Soundbar and Port 2 for your Bluray player.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #224 of 254 Old 12-28-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Horsegoer, how did your calibration go? Are you happy with the picture? Has that haloing effect gone away?

I was a little surprised to see Rtings suggest a sharpness level of 50 (they say that is "neutral") for this set. I immediately lowered my setting to 22 or 25 but I'm curious what it looks like at 50.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850g/settings
I did not calibrate yet.lol. I have blu Ray player but need the 4k/Hd type blu Ray. the disk would not play😡.

beau
post #225 of 254 Old 12-29-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
FYI ALL ports support HDR, it's just that ports 1&4 are limited to 10.2Gbps, this is more that sufficient to support 4K HDR through your Roku or most other streaming devices/services. Reserve Port 3 for your ARC/CEC capable AVR/Soundbar and Port 2 for your Bluray player.
Great information. Thanks!

After one full day of games and another of Netflix and TV, I can safely say this is a huge improvement from my 2014 75" Samsung H7150. Netflix looks better (Dolby Vision helps). Streaming TV looks better. As PS Vue only streams at 720p, I'm impressed by the upscaling of this set. Everything looks sharp and smooth, with more detail than I am used to seeing.

The TV menus and smart features are snappy and responsive.

Really, no complaints!

I don't understand the apparent lack of interest in this set, but to each his own.
Panson likes this.

Last edited by Kolgar; 12-29-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #226 of 254 Old 12-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony X850G with Roku Ultra

I tried to configure Roku Ultra with 85" Sony X850G connected to HDMI port 2. But roku identifies only 4K 30 frames per second. When I enable enhanced mode on HDMI port2, Roku display is not visible.

Any suggestion is appreciated
post #227 of 254 Old 12-29-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsaj View Post
I tried to configure Roku Ultra with 85" Sony X850G connected to HDMI port 2. But roku identifies only 4K 30 frames per second. When I enable enhanced mode on HDMI port2, Roku display is not visible.

Any suggestion is appreciated
I will replay to myself.

It was HDMI cable. Replaced it with another one and roku works fine
post #228 of 254 Old 01-04-2020, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sony X850G Stutter

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section but i need your help...

I purchased my first 4k HDR display and Its a Sony 43X850G. I noticed a Stutter when I watch Netflix...

Something like this:

https://youtu.be/-qJdELnWWes

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by carlo010673; 01-04-2020 at 12:36 AM.
post #229 of 254 Old 01-04-2020, 04:28 AM

Forgot to mention that it does not stutter when Netflix is played via my Blu-Ray player.
post #230 of 254 Old 01-04-2020, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo010673 View Post

I purchased my first 4k HDR display and Its a Sony 43X850G. I noticed a Stutter when I watch Netflix...

Something like this:

Thanks.
Try turning Cinemotion off.
post #231 of 254 Old 01-04-2020, 08:24 PM

All motion features are set to “off”

Thanks.
post #232 of 254 Old 01-06-2020, 11:28 AM

Try rebooting the Netflix app? I sometimes get frequent sound dropouts when using the TV's built-in Netflix app. Closing out and restarting the app fixes it.

I think I've left my motion settings on or set to Auto. Netflix looks smoother than it did on my old set through a Roku Premiere.

I will double-check my setting and update this post later today.

***UPDATE***

I have Motionflow set to Auto (Smoothness 2, Clearness Min) and CineMotion Auto.

Don't know if this has any effect for Netflix, but under the Clarity menu, I also have Reality Creation set to Auto.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo010673 View Post

Something like this:

Thanks.

Last edited by Kolgar; 01-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.
post #233 of 254 Old 01-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Guys I've TV for about a month now and the blacks are very washed out and blotchy. I'm thinking something may be wrong with TV. Any suggestions? Thanks

beau
post #234 of 254 Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The 85" X850G is going on sale at Costco on the 12th for 1969 USD so I've got to ask, those of you who have already purchased it, would you buy it again? I really want a bigger TV for sports and the 75" 850 model they had at Costco looked fantastic, just smaller than what I'm looking for. Only concern is I've heard some people complain about dropped connections with wifi and others mention they can see the back lighting when watching darker films in low light. The other possible option would be a Samsung 85" Q7D series but that will be priced at 2999 USD which is more than I would like to spend. Especially if this Sony X850G is a great TV. Any thoughts?

Last edited by tarheelalum; 01-08-2020 at 10:55 PM.
post #235 of 254 Old 01-09-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelalum View Post
The 85" X850G is going on sale at Costco on the 12th for 1969 USD so I've got to ask, those of you who have already purchased it, would you buy it again? I really want a bigger TV for sports and the 75" 850 model they had at Costco looked fantastic, just smaller than what I'm looking for. Only concern is I've heard some people complain about dropped connections with wifi and others mention they can see the back lighting when watching darker films in low light. The other possible option would be a Samsung 85" Q7D series but that will be priced at 2999 USD which is more than I would like to spend. Especially if this Sony X850G is a great TV. Any thoughts?
I would buy it again at that price. But here's the thing.

There is no perfect TV, and as I looked at TVs this winter, I saw that right now, for me, there was no perfect combination of price and performance.

I wanted an 85" screen but didn't want to spend $3K on a set as I have in the past. I wanted a current model and something that didn't bork DolbyVision (sorry, 900f). I went with the 850G and it's the most bang for the buck of any set I've bought so far.

Yes, you will find better blacks on more expensive sets. I've noticed some clouding on a blank (black) screen at times, but it's usually not noticeable when viewing content. I've also not played much with the picture settings. (To my wife's aggravation, I was forever trying to dial in a picture I liked on my 2014 75" Samsung--the TV this set has replaced. The fact that I'm not bothered to do so now is a sign that I like what I'm seeing now.)

It's hard to judge a TV in the store but if you liked what you saw at Costco, just know that the 85" version of this set uses a VA panel which should help improve dark-room performance at the cost of viewing angle. (Always with the compromises!)

Maybe go see one for yourself at Best Buy and then ask yourself if a better picture is worth the extra money. If you are willing to sacrifice screen size, you could get the 75" 900f for about the same price. I wound up choosing the larger screen for the greater immersion and smaller cash outlay, and I'm content with my call.

Good luck! And let us know what you decide.

Last edited by Kolgar; 01-09-2020 at 05:29 PM.
post #236 of 254 Old 01-10-2020, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New 75X850G owner here, purchased from Costco.

TV is great so far but I have a question on the edge blooming/light bleed for this TV. I understand that this is never going to get perfect blacks but I wanted to make sure that I didn't get a defective unit that I need to replace. The pictures attached are from a 4K youtube dimming test video and you can see the light bleeding in the corners of the TV. I tried different picture settings custom(rtings calibration, cinema, standard) with different pictures attached and I also tried brightness down to 30 and I still get the light bleed.

Is this just the way it is or do I potentially have an issue?

Edit note: yes, I joined the forums in 2007 and this is my first post!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 75X850G 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	832.8 KB
ID:	2667562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 75X850G 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	2667564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 75X850G 3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	744.1 KB
ID:	2667566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 75X850G 4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	869.0 KB
ID:	2667568  
post #237 of 254 Old 01-10-2020, 10:22 PM

Congrats on your first post!

And I'm glad you're doing it here. It's quiet in here.

Your photos look... bad.

I just finished watching several episodes of Sabrina on Netflix. Man, that show is dark. And to my horror, even my *wife* noticed some very distracting clouding at the top and across the middle of the 85" screen.

After re-reading the calibration recommendations at Rtings and making some adjustments of my own, we went back and rewatched those scenes and it looks better.

Not perfect, mind you, but well within what I would consider acceptable limits for a screen of this type and size.

I think the setting that made the biggest difference was the light sensor, which I set to ON. I also turned down the black level to 45. I understand the limitations of this type of LCD at this size, so if I have to compromise a bit with some black crush, I'm willing to do it within reason.

Play around a bit and see what you can do. Short of that, maybe try the microfiber-cloth-pressure trick (link below).

https://www.avforums.com/threads/clouding-fix.2009097/

If your problem doesn't improve, consider an exchange. As I say, my 85" panel doesn't look like that.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump2007 View Post

TV is great so far but I have a question on the edge blooming/light bleed for this TV. I understand that this is never going to get perfect blacks but I wanted to make sure that I didn't get a defective unit that I need to replace. The pictures attached are from a 4K youtube dimming test video and you can see the light bleeding in the corners of the TV. I tried different picture settings custom(rtings calibration, cinema, standard) with different pictures attached and I also tried brightness down to 30 and I still get the light bleed.

Last edited by Kolgar; 01-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.
post #238 of 254 Old 01-11-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump2007 View Post

As Kolgar said and just to add ambient lighting would help on regular programming. Bias lighting a consideration if you view in dark room. Ahh the panel lottery, winner winner chicken dinner...you feelin lucky???

Best
post #239 of 254 Old 01-11-2020, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, it looks like my decision to return my unit just got easier. While I was trying to do the cloth massage trick to try and fix the clouding I discovered something else... see the pictures.

Oh yes, it is what you think it is...

Thanks Kolgar, if it wasn't for your suggestion of the trick, I wouldn't have seen the dead pixel. Going to call Costco to get it returned, now I have to decide whether to get the same model or get the 900F instead. I really like the 850G viewing angles, it is awesome and daylight performance is great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090589.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	987.2 KB
ID:	2668508   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090583.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2668510  
post #240 of 254 Old 01-12-2020, 05:25 PM

Sony's tips for reducing clouding on large flat-panel TVs:

Reduce the Backlight Level in the Picture Settings Menu.
Turn the Light Sensor setting to On in the Setup Menu.
Change the Power Saving setting to Low or High in the Setup Menu.
Set the Picture Mode to Standard in the Settings Menu.

I stumbled across this on page 5 of the 2018 850F owner's thread, which is a good read for people interested in the 85" 850G as the sets are so similar:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html

The adjustments above made a difference for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page