2019 Sony X850G (No Price Talk) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #241 of 250 Old 01-14-2020, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolgar View Post
Sony's tips for reducing clouding on large flat-panel TVs:

Reduce the Backlight Level in the Picture Settings Menu.
Turn the Light Sensor setting to On in the Setup Menu.
Change the Power Saving setting to Low or High in the Setup Menu.
Set the Picture Mode to Standard in the Settings Menu.

I stumbled across this on page 5 of the 2018 850F owner's thread, which is a good read for people interested in the 85" 850G as the sets are so similar:

The adjustments above made a difference for me.

Thanks for the tips, I will try these on the replacement unit. I am hopeful that I just got a lemon with both bad clouding and a dead pixel, I am a Sony believer but times have changed I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 250 Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbagump2007 View Post
Thanks for the tips, I will try these on the replacement unit. I am hopeful that I just got a lemon with both bad clouding and a dead pixel, I am a Sony believer but times have changed I guess.
Good luck with your new panel. Stop back and let us know how it goes!

Also, a little tip for if you ever want to try the massage trick to reduce clouding - I understand that you want to do that while the TV is powered off, never on.

And while I'm here, let me share a little problem I had with the built-in Netflix app on this TV.

As I'd said previously, I would occasionally experience sound dropouts while watching Netflix. Once, the app froze and crashed, forcing the TV to restart.

Well, the app froze twice more last night, crashing the TV both times.

I deleted the app and reinstalled, then checked for updates before using it again.

No sound dropouts or crashes yet.

So try that if any of the apps give you trouble.
post #243 of 250 Old 01-14-2020, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have been following the pricing for this TV for almost 6 months now and decided to pull the trigger when it dropped sub $2k. Other than rtings, has anyone posted their full settings for this TV? I usually like to start with someone's settings and tweak from there. Thanks!!

Quick hookup question. I am going to be connecting the TV to my Pioneer LX303 receiver. Is there a HDMI port that is recommended to connect to the receiver from the TV? I'm guessing 2/3 based on previous posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 250 Old 01-14-2020, 04:32 PM

Congrats on the new set! I'll update this post with my settings later.

Meantime, yes, you want to connect to your receiver via HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
Have been following the pricing for this TV for almost 6 months now and decided to pull the trigger when it dropped sub $2k. Other than rtings, has anyone posted their full settings for this TV? I usually like to start with someone's settings and tweak from there. Thanks!!

Quick hookup question. I am going to be connecting the TV to my Pioneer LX303 receiver. Is there a HDMI port that is recommended to connect to the receiver from the TV? I'm guessing 2/3 based on previous posts.
post #245 of 250 Old 01-14-2020, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 303
For the Sony XBRX85850G TV Can the motion flow (soap opera effect) be turned completely off in settings. Or is auto the only option?.

Thanks.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #246 of 250 Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Congrats on the new set! I'll update this post with my settings later.

Meantime, yes, you want to connect to your receiver via HDMI 3 (eARC/ARC).
Thanks Kolgar! TV delivery is today but I probably wont set it all up until this weekend. Looking forward to seeing your settings.
post #247 of 250 Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM

Yes, MotionFlow and CineMotion can be turned Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
For the Sony XBRX85850G TV Can the motion flow (soap opera effect) be turned completely off in settings. Or is auto the only option?.

Thanks.
post #248 of 250 Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Yes, MotionFlow and CineMotion can be turned Off.
Thank you for that.

For ME, just can’t get used to the soap opera effect. I feel like I am watching a live play.

I have a friend who enjoys that effect. Glad that Sony gives those who enjoy it and those who don’t a choice.

As of yet it doesn’t appear that Sony has not issued a firmware update for this set. Not saying it needs one.

Has anyone found a real owners manual or service manuals in pdf that has more details and explanations concerning each settings. At least the ones I have read on Sony site. Seem VERY simplistic.

Thanks.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 01-16-2020 at 02:20 PM.
post #249 of 250 Old 01-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Hey, Taktix. I still haven't calibrated my set using a disc of any sort, so I'm really in no position to share any settings.

That said...

Remember that you have to set your HDMI ports to Enhanced to take 4K HDR sources like Blu-ray players.

As I mentioned upthread, I was seeing some clouding (not terrible, but noticeable) in dark scenes. One of the things I did (and Sony recommends) to reduce the clouding was to set Power Saving (found under Device Preferences) to Low. I also set the Light Sensor to On and lowered the Black Level a few notches.

Playing with the Clearness setting (found under Motion) may help as well because it darkens the screen through Black Frame Insertion (BFI).

The rest of my settings use the Rtings settings as a base. Picture mode: Standard. I turn on Black Adjust and Advanced Contrast Enhancer out of personal preference, and I also prefer the Color Temperature set to Neutral.

I'm really winging it right now and still playing around, so take this for what it's worth.

If you come up with some winning settings to share, please do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktix1 View Post
Thanks Kolgar! TV delivery is today but I probably wont set it all up until this weekend. Looking forward to seeing your settings.

Last edited by Kolgar; 01-17-2020 at 01:51 PM.
post #250 of 250 Old 01-18-2020, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Question Sony 85 X850g screen size adjustment

Hi, Gents recently purchased The 85 850G tv. I went into settings and into the display and sound window, then went into the screen setting and it was all greyed out. When I hit enter it said this feature is currently unavailable, I wanted to see if I can change the screen size to fill in the black bars when I play my 4k Blu-ray Movies, thru the Panasonic DMP UD 200 player. I checked my player and didn't find anywhere where I could change the aspect ratio. I currently run the TV through My Yamaha 3050 Reciever in mode 1 4k. My Netflix and all others including Spectrum fill in the screen nicely....thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page