Help me choose ZD9 vs ZF9 vs Q90R or wait ZG9? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DJR662
  • 1 Post By Sound & Vision
  • 1 Post By ES_Revenge

post #1 of 21 Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Help me choose ZD9 vs ZF9 vs Q90R or wait ZG9?

Okay so I have the following dilemma am finding it hard to choose due to no TV is perfect , I currently do have cable I just use Netflix / Amazon Video and HBO via streaming apps and I have Ps4 Pro to game on exclusives mostly, i would also be buying a UHD bluray player for 4K movies atleast the ones I really like. Now I have the following options:

75inch ZD9 @ 4720.8 euros or £4105.04
75inch ZF9 @ 3410.4 euros or £2965.56
75inch Q90R @ 4220.6 euro or £3670.00

If the q90r had DV and motion of the sony I would get it in a heart beat but am waiting on Vincent to publish review also to help me decided, am worried by the contrast of zf9 and blooming but it does seem the cheapest. I find it funny the old ZD9 is still priced above new models lol..

Or originally I was going to wait for the Sony 85ZG9 but not sure how expensive its going to be and is it really worth it?? + what will my content look like on a native 8K panel... help me guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-17-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I meant I dont have cable ... everything is online streaming apps , sorry guys i dont know how to edit the post
post #3 of 21 Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_xmx View Post
I find it funny the old ZD9 is still priced above new models lol..
Hardly surprising.
lucacow likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-17-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 155
To a large extent you're in the same boat I am. If the Sony 85Z9G turns out to be as great as I hope it will be, a big if, and you buy one of the others because you can get it right now, we won't be happy. I'm waiting. Regardless, no way I'm buying a ZF9.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Okay so I have the following dilemma am finding it hard to choose due to no TV is perfect , I currently do have cable I just use Netflix / Amazon Video and HBO via streaming apps and I have Ps4 Pro to game on exclusives mostly, i would also be buying a UHD bluray player for 4K movies atleast the ones I really like. Now I have the following options:

If the q90r had DV and motion of the sony I would get it in a heart beat but am waiting on Vincent to publish review also to help me decided, am worried by the contrast of zf9 and blooming but it does seem the cheapest. I find it funny the old ZD9 is still priced above new models lol..

Or originally I was going to wait for the Sony 85ZG9 but not sure how expensive its going to be and is it really worth it?? + what will my content look like on a native 8K panel... help me guys
Welp, I'm a ZF9 owner (Z9F here in the US). Here's what I can tell you. Coming from a 2016 OLED, I'm very pleased with my purchase, despite it taking some time to get used to. The blooming issues with this set are, IMO, way overblown. I also find contrast to be quite pleasing to me, and the shadow detail I now see vs. my old OLED is impressive! Yes, in HDR/Dolby Vision you can sometimes see a bit of blooming by logos or in black bars, but it's not an issue most of the time, and even when it is, as long as it's not a personal pet peeve, the rest of the picture doesn't seem to suffer for it; I find it pretty easy to ignore/not worry about personally. I recommend checking out the ZF9 thread - the trend is that most of the owners seem quite happy with their purchase and its performance, even though most of the reviewers tend to point out areas it doesn't do quite as well as the D did, probably because of the new X-Wide-Viewing layer (which is another benefit for me, and worth it in my opinion, but of course that'll depend on your usage).

I'm also a PS4 Pro owner and finished up Spider-Man and am currently finishing Detroit: Become Human in HDR. I honestly don't think HDR gaming on the PS4 Pro could look better. I've just stopped to marvel at the picture several times... (Also, my OLED used to have occasional dropouts, etc. with 4K and HDR signals, and I've had none of those issues with this TV; it also autodetects everything perfectly for the PS4).

Since you specifically mentioned Netflix, a LOT of their content features Dolby Vision support. I personally ruled out Samsung's because of their lack of Dolby Vision support; it's something I knew I definitely wanted. Otherwise, the reviews of the Q90R are pretty good, though I've seen a few more reports of DSE (Dirty Screen Effect), though that seems more common with the Q900, as well as some reports of strange local dimming performance in certain situations, though those seem uncommon (and hopefully will be patched, but exist at present).

A family member has the ZD9, and it's a great TV as well, but do realize you WILL notice a difference with menu performance and built-in apps if you're planning to use those. It is not nearly as snappy as the ZF9, and noticeably so IMO. It's also a 3 year-old TV, won't have quite the brightness of the F for HDR/DV, etc. I love that it had 3D, and if you don't need the wide viewing angles, it's a great set, but personally, I couldn't justify it.

Finally, if you're still concerned about the ZF9, don't mind waiting, and have space for the 85" (I didn't, which made my choice much easier =oP), I don't think waiting for the G is a mistake. It should have everything the F has plus probably more zones and a few things to improve contrast further, plus the extra size, etc. Like you said, though, it'll be expensive, and that'll mean more of a wait for you, plus I suppose you never KNOW until something's out, but on paper, it looks like it'll be fantastic.

Whatever you decide, I think all 4 sets are really good candidates, and I hope you end up happy with your choice regardless!

Last edited by sgupta; 04-17-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-17-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

The ZD9 is a raraity if you can find one..... Last and only "3D", 4K, HDR TV made by Sony... If you don't care about 3D then it doesn't matter... Anyone will do as there all good.. Just note the Samsung Q90 has "NO" Composite or Component Video Jack's at all.. The Q90 Only has four HDMI and 3 USB jacks. 🙂

Last edited by Sound & Vision; 04-17-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post
The ZD9 is a raraity if you can find one..... Last and only "3D", 4K, HDR TV made by Sony... If you don't care about 3D then it doesn't matter... Anyone will do as there all good.. Just note the Samsung Q90 has "NO" Composite or Component Video Jack's at all.. The Q90 Only has four HDMI and 3 USB jacks. 🙂
I only use HDMI , I will have an apple 4K TV and Ps4 Pro / PS5 incoming 2020 I dont need 3D. Does DV make a great difference ?
post #8 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Welp, I'm a ZF9 owner (Z9F here in the US).

A family member has the ZD9, and it's a great TV as well, but do realize you WILL notice a difference with menu performance and built-in apps if you're planning to use those. It is not nearly as snappy as the ZF9, and noticeably so IMO. It's also a 3 year-old TV, won't have quite the brightness of the F for HDR/DV, etc. I love that it had 3D, and if you don't need the wide viewing angles, it's a great set, but personally, I couldn't justify it.
So how does it compare between the two since you've seen them both, I've only seen the zf9 but in a brightroom running 4K Sony reel. I would have thought the ZD9 is brighter or the same with BMD?
post #9 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
To a large extent you're in the same boat I am. If the Sony 85Z9G turns out to be as great as I hope it will be, a big if, and you buy one of the others because you can get it right now, we won't be happy. I'm waiting. Regardless, no way I'm buying a ZF9.
Problem is by the time it arrives if its not that great will the other sets be around specifically ZD9 / ZF9, and do you think Ps4 PRO and gaming in general will look okay on 8k screen? am just worried the 4K moving images won't look as good as 8K or mostly static 4K content usually shown on demo floors.. the wait is killing me.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Problem is by the time it arrives if its not that great will the other sets be around specifically ZD9 / ZF9, and do you think Ps4 PRO and gaming in general will look okay on 8k screen? am just worried the 4K moving images won't look as good as 8K or mostly static 4K content usually shown on demo floors.. the wait is killing me.
The ZF9 will still be available, the ZD9 is already in very short supply and would be the one that could disappear. Only you can decide if the risk of waiting for the ZG9 is worth it.

The upscaler of the ZG9 isn't what I'm worried about. Zone count and the adverse impact on black level/blooming because of the wider viewing angle is. In short, the step backward Sony took when they went from the ZD9 to the ZF9.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

Wow! That is crazy cheap compared to the US market.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #12 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
So how does it compare between the two since you've seen them both, I've only seen the zf9 but in a brightroom running 4K Sony reel. I would have thought the ZD9 is brighter or the same with BMD?
Unfortunately, it's a difficult comparison to make as these are in different homes. The Z9D tends to be in a room that's always lit whereas with the F I tend to watch in a dark room albeit with a 10% bias light. They've sadly never been (and never will be) side by side.

That said, I set them both up, and performance seems pretty similar to me. Settings are almost exactly the same (I want to say IIRC the F brightness goes slightly higher number-wise, but I don't know if that's just a UI change). I can't really say how much Backlight Master Drive comes into play either. I did reference RTINGS and it seems like brightness between the two sets is somewhat similar, with peaks on the F "real scene" a bit brighter, but this inverts for 100% windows where the D is slightly brighter. I don't think either TV is a slouch in that department, and honestly just from the viewing I've done, I couldn't call a big difference. I can tell you the F is way too bright at max brightness to even entertain watching at in a dark room. =oP The D I'm sure is as well.

Mostly on the D I've seen SDR content as that's what she mostly watches, but it was of course pleasant. I did demo Dolby Vision on the D before buying the F to see if I liked it. (My OLED's Dolby Vision was wayyy too dark to the point of misery in things like VUDU's version of Black Panther, and I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be an issue with a new TV). Suffice it to say, it convinced me the F would fix my problem, and it certainly did. =)

Otherwise, I can't say much as far as differences. The biggest is definitely the sluggishness of the D's interface. Also, I kind of like the F's bezel design better, but that's purely subjective (and they both look nice). Honestly, I've never really looked at the D from enough of an angle to judge off-angle viewing as that's not much of an issue with her seating.

Sorry I can't be more help in a direct comparison. Both TV's are extremely impressive; at the end of the day it's going to be what matters to you, based on availability, features such as 3D vs X-Wide Viewing Angles, how much you're going to use internal apps and the speed you expect, etc.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I only use HDMI , I will have an apple 4K TV and Ps4 Pro / PS5 incoming 2020 I dont need 3D. Does DV make a great difference ?
Thats entirely up to you to decide if Dolby Vision makes a difference and how you would feel not having it... There is a ton of Dolby Vision content right now and new 4K releases are coming out weekly that have it.. It really shouldn't be this hard to pick out a TV.... But Samsung is being very stubborn and refuses to pay Dolby any royalties to include Dolby Vision on their TVs.. The real question here is how bad do you really want a Samsung TV without DV vs a Sony that has DV.. 🙂
post #14 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thats entirely up to you to decide if Dolby Vision makes a difference and how you would feel not having it... There is a ton of Dolby Vision content right now and new 4K releases are coming out weekly that have it.. It really shouldn't be this hard to pick out a TV.... But Samsung is being very stubborn and refuses to pay Dolby any royalties to include Dolby Vision on their TVs.. The real question here is how bad do you really want a Samsung TV without DV vs a Sony that has DV.. 🙂
This is what I hate about samsung, if they would have had DV and they would follow EOTF curve and not overshoot it or atleast allow user to have a picture mode where its defeatable id get it in a heart beat, Ive just watched vincent review of Q90R and it gets highly awarded but mentions the same points as above. Also note I have never seen DV before (on TV) the most HDR i get to see i currently on my iphone xs xD lol The best thing about if I get zf9 is i can get a very slight discount but am not 100% I could live with its cons. I think I will slightly wait abit longer.. hopefully sony release more about the ZG9 which would then narrrow my choices.. or .. nah samsung will never get DV lol.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is what I hate about samsung, if they would have had DV and they would follow EOTF curve and not overshoot it or atleast allow user to have a picture mode where its defeatable id get it in a heart beat, Ive just watched vincent review of Q90R and it gets highly awarded but mentions the same points as above. Also note I have never seen DV before (on TV) the most HDR i get to see i currently on my iphone xs xD lol The best thing about if I get zf9 is i can get a very slight discount but am not 100% I could live with its cons. I think I will slightly wait abit longer.. hopefully sony release more about the ZG9 which would then narrrow my choices.. or .. nah samsung will never get DV lol.

We should start a poll..... How many would be willing to pay the royalty fee to Samsung for a Dolby Vision update... I think the DV fee Samsung would have to pay is about $3.00 per TV for the rights.... Heck, I would gladly double that and pay Samsung $6.00 for a DV update... lol 😎
egrady likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We should start a poll..... How many would be willing to pay the royalty fee to Samsung for a Dolby Vision update... I think the DV fee Samsung would have to pay is about $3.00 per TV for the rights.... Heck, I would gladly double that and pay Samsung $6.00 for a DV update... lol 😎
Id pay $60 for it definitely we need a poll and get Samsung to finally give in!! pretty sure HDR 10+ will go the way of the dodo at this rate lol
post #17 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Might want to wait til the P Quantum X comes out?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
post #18 of 21 Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodysj View Post
Might want to wait til the P Quantum X comes out?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
From what I know I havent seen these offered around. I did look at them but then realized i couldn't buy them over here. Maybe its for the best , this way one less option to choose lol
post #19 of 21 Old 04-20-2019, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know or has heard that the ZF9 will support homekit and airplay 2? like the 950? just find it wierd that the 950 with smiliar chipset will support these features but I havent been able to find out anything regarding the ZF9 and this is something that would make my decision easier. I believe the Samsung will support itunes and airplay 2 but not homekit.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Weird the Z9D (ZD9--why did Sony bother switching the characters around in other parts of the world?) is more expensive than the others. Do TVs not go on clearance in Europe after being discontinued? Z9Ds were recently cleared out in retail in the US and Canada for example, at prices below what they'd ever sold for (with US being cheaper of course). $2k USD was the 65" typical clearance price in the US and I can't remember what the 75" went for but again way below the original prices.

They're pretty much all sold out of retail channels now, given the clearance pricing, but it's strange to think in UK (or wherever it is you are) they actually increase the asking price in retail channels once something is discontinued???

Anyway that weirdness aside, I would vote for the Z9D not only because I own one haha, but just reading how poor the contrast is on the Z9F in comparison, it seems it's mostly a downgrade. There's some things that are better like better input lag in 1080p, better panel response times, less DSE (better grey uniformity), and better viewing angle, but some of these are tradeoffs from the Z9Ds weaknesses.

Tradeoffs:
-Z9D has much better contrast; Z9F has better viewing angle
-Z9D has better black uniformity and local dimming; Z9F has better grey uniformity

Definite advantages/disadvantages:
-Z9F better panel response and better 1080p input lag (better lag all around but 1080p is significantly better on the Z9F)
-Z9F has newer HDMI features--eARC, full-bandwidth on all inputs instead of just two; 1440p input; 1080p/120 native instead of forced.
-Z9F has a better processor for the Android section.

-Z9D has 3D
-Z9D is less reflective with its semi-gloss screen. The glossy screen on the Z9F is likely to increase contrast (?) since its CR is quite miserable.
-Z9D was much cheaper in US/Can market due to recent clearance pricing but now it's not really purchasable outside of OB units, kijiji/craigslist sales, used, etc.

If motion, input lag, and viewing angle, and [less] DSE are of high importance to you, the Z9F is the better set; for all other needs or if those things aren't priorities? The Z9D is def. the better TV IMO. If you need 3D there is no other choice as well (actually maybe in UK there are others as I think Panasonic still has some 3D models there?). The only thing that bothers me about my Z9D is the DSE--but finding a perfect TV is really not going to happen so I can live with it, esp. when I paid only $1600 CAD (65").

Keep in mind also that contrast is often the thing that people find most affect what they perceive as good PQ, and while the Z9D is really good for an LCD here, the Z9F is quite the opposite which is why you see so many negative comments about it in general. For a TV this pricey, I would not buy a Z9F, but that's just me.
egrady likes this.

Last edited by ES_Revenge; 04-20-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Keep one thing in mind since you game on the Sony platform. They did just announce 8K support and because 8K is being heavily pushed in Japan, there will be big name 8K native titles out, probably by late 2020. This could be huge because quality 8K can give a natural 3D effect. Since you can wait, you may also want to keep an eye on the TCL 8K coming soon as it may be priced to flood the market as China is known to do. If I could wait and had a working TV now, I'd wait for the ZG9 to also see what Vizio and the rest have to offer as well. Also, by then we may have a batter idea of what exactly PS5 and the new Xbox will take advantage of technology wise or what may be missing until 2020. The way 8K is being funded in both Japan and China may mean cheap hardware could be on market sooner than people think. It may even make sense for Comcast, Dish and other players to go straight from 1080P to true 8K, possibly using cheap 5G transmissions to help carry the signal load, we could see a clear, quality transmission from mainstream cable. We should know more within weeks because all of this is slated for 2020.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page