AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Sony Z9F or Samsung Q90R? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3064412-sony-z9f-samsung-q90r.html)

hot_dots 04-26-2019 04:00 PM

Sony Z9F or Samsung Q90R?

Looking to buy one of these two. Have a large very light filled family room. Watching sport and mainly from a PVR that outputs 1080p. So upscaling and motion are important to me.

I am in Australia and so far nobody has the Q90R to see. But there is a good deal on the Z9F at the moment. Problem been I can't see the Sammy to compare. I am happy to wait for the Samsung if that is the better TV for my circumstances or should I grab the Sony?

Thanks

sgupta 04-26-2019 09:45 PM

So honestly, these look to both be great TV's. I don't think you'd necessarily go wrong with either.

That said, I'm a Z9F owner and very, very happy. Some things that swayed me were the Dolby Vision support (as I have access to a lot of DV content via Netflix and AppleTV movies), the fewer reports of DSE (the Q90R doesn't seem too bad with this either, but I've seen a few more reports of it than with the Sony, and some Samsung models are notorious for it), the excellent motion handling, and the reputation for lots of detail in dark scenes (which again, doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with the Q90R, but previous Samsung's tended to crush blacks quite a lot).

One thing to be aware of is, due to the X-Wide Angle layer on the Z9F, reflection handling can be downright WEIRD. Be aware of this in a light-filled room. That said, since the Q90R uses similar technology, it could be the same there - I unfortunately can't tell you that. Either should be plenty bright; I am in shock of how bright the Z9F can get!

Good luck with your decision!

hot_dots 04-27-2019 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupta (Post 57961246)
So honestly, these look to both be great TV's. I don't think you'd necessarily go wrong with either.

That said, I'm a Z9F owner and very, very happy. Some things that swayed me were the Dolby Vision support (as I have access to a lot of DV content via Netflix and AppleTV movies), the fewer reports of DSE (the Q90R doesn't seem too bad with this either, but I've seen a few more reports of it than with the Sony, and some Samsung models are notorious for it), the excellent motion handling, and the reputation for lots of detail in dark scenes (which again, doesn't seem to be too much of an issue with the Q90R, but previous Samsung's tended to crush blacks quite a lot).

One thing to be aware of is, due to the X-Wide Angle layer on the Z9F, reflection handling can be downright WEIRD. Be aware of this in a light-filled room. That said, since the Q90R uses similar technology, it could be the same there - I unfortunately can't tell you that. Either should be plenty bright; I am in shock of how bright the Z9F can get!

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the response, I saw some Rugby on the Z9F in the showroom, and to be honest it didn't blow me away. The sales rep said he felt that the Sammy's handled sports better.

sgupta 04-27-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot_dots (Post 57961476)
Thanks for the response, I saw some Rugby on the Z9F in the showroom, and to be honest it didn't blow me away. The sales rep said he felt that the Sammy's handled sports better.

That's possible; to be honest, I'm not a big sports watcher myself. That said, I know Vincent over at HDTVTest said in his review of the Z9F that it'd make superb Sports TV (his review is on YouTube in the channel HDTVTest). It's also going to depend a lot on the settings used as of course there are several picture modes (though not a dedicated Sports one) and several levels of Motionflow. You might see if they'll let you play with the settings. I'm sure it's not an easy choice, and I wish you luck whatever you go with!

geoffo11 04-27-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot_dots (Post 57961476)

We’ll depends on what gives him the largest commission check and his/her monthly quotas.

Buying TV is like buying a car. If you know what you want all you than need to do is get the best price. So this kind of research is cool. Asking a sales person doesn’t hurt but they are going to go off your cues and what gives them the most dollar.

When you say didn’t blow me away what do you mean? Rugby is boring as hell anyway :p. Things like motion handling, no blur effect and dse be what you should be looking for. Both are quite bright but the Samsung will have better reflections handling.

hot_dots 04-27-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoffo11 (Post 57964632)
We’ll depends on what gives him the largest commission check and his/her monthly quotas.

Buying TV is like buying a car. If you know what you want all you than need to do is get the best price. So this kind of research is cool. Asking a sales person doesn’t hurt but they are going to go off your cues and what gives them the most dollar.

When you say didn’t blow me away what do you mean? Rugby is boring as hell anyway :p. Things like motion handling, no blur effect and dse be what you should be looking for. Both are quite bright but the Samsung will have better reflections handling.

Thanks for the response. I agree about the rugby, it was just what they had on. In the replays especially, it was slightly more blurry, especially the ball. I can get a good price on the Sony, so really am just trying to weigh up if the Sammy is a much better TV or rather, just slightly better?

sgupta 04-28-2019 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot_dots (Post 57965508)
Thanks for the response. I agree about the rugby, it was just what they had on. In the replays especially, it was slightly more blurry, especially the ball. I can get a good price on the Sony, so really am just trying to weigh up if the Sammy is a much better TV or rather, just slightly better?

Could be there were different motion settings. For example, if the Samsung had the black frame insertion on but the Sony didn't (it's the Clearness Motionflow setting on Sony), you'd get a clearer picture. Unfortunately, without knowing how each TV is set up and if the settings are comparable, even a side-by-side comparison isn't always that useful.

New_to_4K 04-28-2019 06:39 AM

Both are great TVs. I prefer the colours on the Z9F but the reflection handling is terrible. The Samsung is much superior on the reflection handling - only seen the Q80 and Q900. Q90 will have similar reflection handling.

hot_dots 04-28-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 57966340)
Both are great TVs. I prefer the colours on the Z9F but the reflection handling is terrible. The Samsung is much superior on the reflection handling - only seen the Q80 and Q900. Q90 will have similar reflection handling.

Thanks for the reply, I think I am leaning more towards the Q90. The other thing that bugs me is that Sony release a "Master" TV that less than one year later ceases production, makes me ask myself, what is wrong with it that it does not even last a year?

sgupta 04-28-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hot_dots (Post 57968926)
Thanks for the reply, I think I am leaning more towards the Q90. The other thing that bugs me is that Sony release a "Master" TV that less than one year later ceases production, makes me ask myself, what is wrong with it that it does not even last a year?

I agree this is disappointing. I think the reasons are twofold:
- There were perception problems surrounding the Z9F and black levels because of various contrast tests not playing well with the new wide-angle-viewing layer. Actual owners (including myself) tend to be more favorable; even coming from an OLED, I have not had any issues with the contrast of this TV. The Q90R uses a similar technology; it seems contrast reports are a bit better; I don't know whether that's truly the case or whether measuring methods have improved with this type of tech so it just seems that way. Black bar performance is supposed to be a bit better on the Samsung as well (but again, hasn't bothered me on the Z9F personally).
- According to Vincent Theo over at HDTVTest, Sony is moving more towards OLED for the bigger sizes of the Master series and only allows one Master class panel per size category (in this case the new 77" OLED replacing the 75" LCD). I've seen some predictions that premium LCD's may be an endangered species.

At the end of the day, it makes sense to go with the panel that *you* feel better about. The Q90 looks fantastic as well, so if that's your choice at the end of the day, I hope you enjoy it. It's a choice between two great televisions.

BRAC 04-29-2019 07:11 AM

I will have both of these sets in my house next week. If you can wait a little longer, I will try my best to post some thoughts around the middle of May. Nothing measured or anything like that, just some good old fashioned by eye testing. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNMNL52 06-14-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 57970568)
I will have both of these sets in my house next week. If you can wait a little longer, I will try my best to post some thoughts around the middle of May. Nothing measured or anything like that, just some good old fashioned by eye testing. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the market for either and curious to know if you were able to compare both side by side?

BRAC 06-15-2019 06:56 AM

Sony Z9F or Samsung Q90R?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JNMNL52 (Post 58183590)
I am in the market for either and curious to know if you were able to compare both side by side?

Yes, I had them both in house for a short time and ended up keeping the Q90. Both are great sets, but the much better blooming control on the Samsung and vastly superior anti-reflection filter pushed it over the top for me.

JNMNL52 06-15-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAC (Post 58185110)
Yes, I had them both in house for a short time and ended up keeping the Q90. Both are great sets, but the much better blooming control on the Samsung and vastly superior anti-reflection filter pushed it over the top for me.

Thanks-good info.