Hisense LCD TV using a Dual-cell ULED XD panel layer - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #331 of 354 Old 01-11-2020, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
8K Dual-Cell will be coming in 2021[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]

I find the excuse of waiting for competitor pricing a little troubling. I mean you could release it then lower the price like most televisions do. Not only that but properly functioning dual layer televisions could come at a premium if they desired.

Secondly I posted about the “8k fad” previously that got a lot of heat! I mean for real just leave us alone with 8k and just release the 4K. You need a lot more light to push through the panel with 8k. Now the rear lcd is still only 1080p, I can see this introducing a host of new problems between the different light transmittance values of the panels.

Unfortunately I’m starting to believe this is not ready for prime time yet. I just don’t find the excuses valid and if they are basing their delays on these reasons they really are not using sound judgement. If someone as stupid as me could figure this out heaven help them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 354 Old 01-12-2020, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Sounds to me like they finally can produce a good looking 4k demo set with a 2k back panel, but do not have volume manufacturing yet. I do not believe the line that they are waiting to see what the competitors are going to do. It is simple - if you can produce it now, sell it now for the price you think will sell. If competition comes out and under cuts you, lower your price in the future.
SiGGy likes this.
post #333 of 354 Old 01-12-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 103
@Herve @Dave in Green Its hard to say if it gets brighter then OLED but the 75" model didn't look dimmer. The blacks and colors looked great. I think it has the potential to be a true OLED competitor. It'll be really interesting to see what happens when respected reviewers get their hands on production models towards the end of this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Herve, SiGGy and Dave in Green like this.

Krister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 354 Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 1477
Hisense will not be releasing a successor to the 08B OLED that came out last year, and will instead be looking to develop its proprietary DualCell ‘ULED XD’ panels – which fuse a 2K and 4K screen together for a crisp and high-contrast picture – as a viable alternative at a much lower cost:
“We are currently focused on making ULED XD successful due to its strong PQ (picture quality) performance and value proposition vs OLED," a Hisense representative said in a statement to TechRadar.

Hisense had been expected to launch its OLED sets in the US after doing so in the UK, Australia, and parts of Europe. However, it seems that these model lines are simply to be “replaced” by DualCell sets globally, without any coming to North America at all: “OLED is not part of the US strategy at this time.”

As stated earlier, in Australia the dual cell TV will the Hisense flagship in 2020 (and probably in other countries as well). With putting the tech in the topspot and with also ditching OLED Hisense must have lots of confidence in the product.
post #335 of 354 Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
^ If Hisense intends to try to make ULED XD competitive with OLED it makes perfect sense for them not to be investing any money on promoting OLED.
post #336 of 354 Old 01-18-2020, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
^ If Hisense intends to try to make ULED XD competitive with OLED it makes perfect sense for them not to be investing any money on promoting OLED.
Ditching OLED does not look like a big deal since their OLED offering was not something to brag about. Aside from that what also would make sense is Hisense selling both till ULED XD becomes a succes financially as well as critically.

Few years back we had Sony offering OLEDs as well as the ZD9 LCD. Sony is happy with OLEDs sales right now and it looks like they lost interest in LCD development because of that.
post #337 of 354 Old 01-18-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
^ Ditching OLED immediately makes sense as a sign that Hisense has a high level of confidence in ULED XD taking off quickly. We'll look back on this in a year or two and see how smart this move was.
post #338 of 354 Old 01-18-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
^ Ditching OLED immediately makes sense as a sign that Hisense has a high level of confidence in ULED XD taking off quickly. We'll look back on this in a year or two and see how smart this move was.

I think it's the only move. Oled prices are fixed since everyone buys them from LG so the best they can do is sell an inferior Oled for about $100 cheaper. Sony buys the panels and competes in the premium high end sector so it doesn't matter to them. Until a Chinese company manufactures their own panels they simply cannot be competitive and undercut like the do with LCD.
post #339 of 354 Old 01-27-2020, 09:12 PM

post #340 of 354 Old 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD8118 View Post
This tech is exciting. Really the only big leap for LCD in 2020. They are fixing the problem; not trying to treat the symptoms as others are with 40,000 leds behind the low contrast LCD.

Fingers crossed they deliver on this; if they do I'll buy one.
post #341 of 354 Old 02-01-2020, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The fact that Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest doesn't post a covering of the dual-cell after CES 2020, FlatpanelHD straight out tweets this performs even worse than fald, and there's no sign of the big 3 (LG, Sony and Samsung) being remotely interested in this tech is a big red herring.
post #342 of 354 Old 02-02-2020, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
The fact that Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest doesn't post a covering of the dual-cell after CES 2020, FlatpanelHD straight out tweets this performs even worse than fald, and there's no sign of the big 3 (LG, Sony and Samsung) being remotely interested in this tech is a big red herring.
Vincent Teoh mentioned the dual cell TV at IFA 2019.. ''interesting'' ''certainly the blacks looks deep''. But you do not even know that ..do you? Not shure what the Flatpanelshd guy is talking about..he mixed up models...probably the 8K prototype. It is really quite simple..if that miniLED/Dual Cell LCD stuff turns out to be successful then we highly likely will see non-chinese manufacturers launch similar products...

Important is performance - price - and consumer adaptation. If they succeed in that we got a winner.
SiGGy likes this.
post #343 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Where is the tweet where they said Hisense dual panel performs worse than FALD? Which is an odd statment since the dual panel also has FALD. What was "worse"?

Were you focused on TV's when LG launched OLED? Even samsung tried and then gave up, didn't look good. And here we are today These companies only change when the industry forces them too... Hisense is trying to get ahead.

Last edited by SiGGy; 02-03-2020 at 07:12 AM.
post #344 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Sony, Dolby and other reference monitor brands switched from OLED to this technology last year. I don't know where exactly Hisense are cutting corners to achieve much lower price, but it's not entirely unlikely that at least Sony will start using dual-layer LCD in their Master Series instead of OLED. But since the main advantages over OLED is near-black uniformity, no burn-in and better color at full brightness, it'll require Sony to admit the shortcomings of the OLED in order to market the new technology to masses. This isn't an issue with expensive reference monitors because you don't have to come up with marketing BS in order to convince the eye-impaired technically oblivious customers and can rely on performance alone.
post #345 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by monopodman View Post
Sony, Dolby and other reference monitor brands switched from OLED to this technology last year. I don't know where exactly Hisense are cutting corners to achieve much lower price, but it's not entirely unlikely that at least Sony will start using dual-layer LCD in their Master Series instead of OLED. But since the main advantages over OLED is near-black uniformity, no burn-in and better color at full brightness, it'll require Sony to admit the shortcomings of the OLED in order to market the new technology to masses. This isn't an issue with expensive reference monitors because you don't have to come up with marketing BS in order to convince the eye-impaired technically oblivious customers and can rely on performance alone.
The offer LCDs now as well as OLEDs. The reasons to buy current FALD LCD over OLED would be mostly along the lines of the reasons that you mentioned for buying Dual LCD. They really only need to market Dual LCD as being better (more premium) than FALD.

post #346 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
The offer LCDs now as well as OLEDs. The reasons to buy current FALD LCD over OLED would be mostly along the lines of the reasons that you mentioned for buying Dual LCD. They really only need to market Dual LCD as being better (more premium) than FALD.
But not if their dual-layer LCD implementation is double the cost of A9G.
post #347 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by monopodman View Post
But not if their dual-layer LCD implementation is double the cost of A9G.
If their Dual LCD was going to cost twice as much as OLED to make for the same size, they would most likely not ever even make it. That's kind of a moot point.

From what the Dual LCD panel manufacturers have said, it isn't a significant increase in cost to manufacture as compared to Single LCD TVs, in any event. Sony would just need to buy panels and put their sauce on it. Much like they do with OLED.

post #348 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 03:30 PM

Just watched Fomo’s latest video and there could be massive delays on this television. BOE who makes the dual layer panels is located in the city where the corona virus has spread. Judging from the news everything is on lockdown over there.
post #349 of 354 Old 02-03-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 1529
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD8118 View Post
Just watched Fomo’s latest video and there could be massive delays on this television. BOE who makes the dual layer panels is located in the city where the corona virus has spread. Judging from the news everything is on lockdown over there.
I don't think it's going to be just this one. The virus is now in every province in China and in many other countries in East Asia. A lot of items - and people - are going to be affected.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931

Last edited by Rolls-Royce; 02-03-2020 at 05:03 PM.
post #350 of 354 Old 05-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 185

2020?
8mile13 likes this.

Z9D Settings Dolby Vision, Gaming etc
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56126450
post #351 of 354 Old 05-23-2020, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Is just a small scale launch i think so sticking with launch date should not be a problem..
Hisense Dual Cell/ Dual Layer LCD 2020? launch:
XD9G North America
SX Australia
ReSultZ likes this.
post #352 of 354 Old 05-23-2020, 12:59 PM

Liked: 6
I would feel a lot sadder about the exclusion of Europe if I didn't already know Dual Cell has horrible input lag. Oh well.
post #353 of 354 Old 05-26-2020, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In that press release they say "2 million plus zones"
A 1080p panel has 2,073,600 pixels.

Finally we know they're using a 1080p filter, not 1440p.

Where was dual cell tested with this horrible input lag? Are there links to these reviews (some exist in China, but can't find reviews other than some people stating "reviews exist" without actually linking them).
post #354 of 354 Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPotatoNacho View Post
In that press release they say "2 million plus zones"
A 1080p panel has 2,073,600 pixels.

Finally we know they're using a 1080p filter, not 1440p.
I've never seen it stated as anything other than 1080p for the second panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page