AVS Forum banner

Hisense LCD TV using a Dual-cell ULED XD panel layer

111K views 850 replies 108 participants last post by  b5fan001 
#1 · (Edited)
Folks are very excited about this stuff. There was a prototype at CES back in januari. Plenty of prototypes we never hear about again though. This TV is similar to the Panasonic Dual layer stuff which is used in very expensive pro-monitors.

* one can vote on Rtings and they might buy and review the 75'' Dual Cell LCD Hisense U9DG which will be launched in the USA in the summer 2021 (You need to registrate to vote but that is all, leave the options blank!)
Suggest a TV Review - RTINGS.com

**It has the highest native contrast ratio we've ever measured on an LED LCD TV, and it looks much better than any other IPS-type TV on the market.
Hisense U9DG Review (75U9DG ) - RTINGS.com

#2 ·

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Looka like hisense is trying to up their products

Reactions: John Hooper
#5 ·
I'm not going to lie, I am very excited about this. I was so excited about Mini-Led and those 5k+ zones of local dimming. I couldn't care less about them after this. This has the potential to give me something similar to Micro-Led right now as opposed to waiting 10 years when it will be realistically affordable to me! They claim it will be cheaper than OLED, This is seriously the most exciting thing coming that most don't even know about! Even if the price was par with oled who would buy oled to get half the brightness and the worry about burn in?

#15 ·
Folks are very excited about this stuff. There was a prototype at CES back in januari. Plenty of prototypes we never hear about again though. This TV is similar to the Panasonic Dual layer stuff which is used in very expensive pro-monitors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdZ_kiHYEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgFfqJzihA

Greetings 8mile13, thanks for sharing.

The first clip mentions 300 nits peak brightness for the ULD XD panel. Seems a bit low. Can anyone else confirm?
Many thanks and best regards,

#19 ·
At what contrast ratio do we enter the land of diminishing returns? I have been doing research and people are saying Oled has better black levels than plasma. I was always under the impression that Plasma had perfect blacks. I would assume a million to one contrast would give us pretty perfect blacks or am I mistaken?

#25 ·
CNET got a look at the prototype and got more details about the final version coming out next year:

https://www.cnet.com/news/look-out-o...t-lower-price/

This is a pretty exciting change to the final version,

At CES and the demo I saw in May, the luminance module had HD (1,920x1,080) resolution, bonded to a 4K resolution color module.
When ULED XD comes to market, both the luminance and color modules will be 4K (3,840x2,160) resolution.

#28 · (Edited)
CNET got a look at the prototype and got more details about the final version coming out next year
According to the article they're only planning on a 65" for 2020, so that definitely takes it off my list. It certainly sounds like interesting technology if they can get it done, and I get why they would release a 65", yet it's just not big enough for me to consider purchasing. Brighter OLEDs are also rumored for the next year or two, so the main advantages would seem to be a different screen finish (based on CES model), price, and no worry about burn-in.

#30 ·
According to the CNET article they claim they noticed a very minor halo effect. I wonder what the cause of this is, I came up with 3 possible reasons, feel free to chime in with any other explanation.

1. They are not getting the actual black levels as low as they are going claiming.

2. Software/Hardware issue. Meaning there is a delay between the dimming of light between the first and second panel. Some form of latency issue.

3. All the prototypes used a 1080p panel for grayscale. This would mean one 1080p pixel would control four pixels on a 4K panel. This may leak enough light to cause the halo effect until they use 2 4K panels for one to one pixel control. If this is the case this is extremely interesting as raising dimming zones on a fald display is futile. We can basically have a tv with one hundred thousand dimming zones and it will never solve the problem or get close to it.

Further I initially made a claim that I was afraid that this was vaporware because if a company like Panasonic that showcased this years ago was unsuccessful how would a company like Hisense succeed? Well after some research I stand corrected. Panasonic had the very high end segment in mind with the advent of this technology. This technology made it to about 5 reference monitors designed for editing. These are available right now and I’ve seen reviews on them and they are amazing. They use these for mastering and editing video that will be displayed on consumer televisions and all the reviews state these monitors do things OLED simply cannot. I think we are on cusp of some very amazing lcd televisions.

#31 ·
According to the CNET article they claim they noticed a very minor halo effect. I wonder what the cause of this is, I came up with 3 possible reasons, feel free to chime in with any other explanation.

1. They are not getting the actual black levels as low as they are going claiming.

2. Software/Hardware issue. Meaning there is a delay between the dimming of light between the first and second panel. Some form of latency issue.

3. All the prototypes used a 1080p panel for grayscale. This would mean one 1080p pixel would control four pixels on a 4K panel. This may leak enough light to cause the halo effect until they use 2 4K panels for one to one pixel control. If this is the case this is extremely interesting as raising dimming zones on a fald display is futile. We can basically have a tv with one hundred thousand dimming zones and it will never solve the problem or get close to it.

Further I initially made a claim that I was afraid that this was vaporware because if a company like Panasonic that showcased this years ago was unsuccessful how would a company like Hisense succeed? Well after some research I stand corrected. Panasonic had the very high end segment in mind with the advent of this technology. This technology made it to about 5 reference monitors designed for editing. These are available right now and I’ve seen reviews on them and they are amazing. They use these for mastering and editing video that will be displayed on consumer televisions and all the reviews state these monitors do things OLED simply cannot. I think we are on cusp of some very amazing lcd televisions.
I see no point in having more than one zone.

#34 ·
https://www.displaydaily.com/article/display-daily/nanosys-shows-hisense-dual-cell-qd-tv-at-display-week-coming-to-market-in-2020

I wasn’t ready or looking for a new TV yet but can’t wait until this is available. Getting more excited by the day!

Btw I apologize for the grammatical errors and bad formatting of my previous post. Posted on my phone

#36 ·
Too bad it won't be offered in a 75" version anytime soon if these recent articles are correct. In that case I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Hisense 75" U9F quantum dot tv coming out later this year with 1056 zones/2200 nits brightness. It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the Vizio Quantum X and perhaps TCL's Mini-LED models also due later this year.

#39 ·
As an oled owner I always welcome new tech that pushes the edge. I love my oled but I won't do retro gaming on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#47 · (Edited)
At SID Display Week 2019 BOE demod a dual layer LCD calling it ''BD CELL''. starts at 06:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsxpUZaggcw&feature=youtu.be&t=381

Thanks for posting! That looks phenomenal. Seems like they've solved all the problems, Viewing angle doesn't look bad either. I cant wait to get this TV.

*Edit

Re-watching the video I heard him say 2 million to one contrast!!! This seems more in line with the VA panels they are using. The Panasonic was getting a million to one contrast with the ips panels. I always thought they were being conservative and this guy just confirmed it. I would even guess higher than 2 million to one. When this comes out it will probably be the best TV on the market regardless of price.

#53 · (Edited)
#54 ·
Wow, Very informative. I hope they go with a BOE cell. In the previous video at the BOE booth the panel looked amazing. There was an article about a month ago saying the Hisense dual layer TV suffered from bad vewing angles and still had blooming. This may have been an Innolux cell because the 2 newest videos I've seen using the BOE panel show excellent viewing angles and they specifically mentioned No blooming. Person being interviewed even went as far to say that not only is this as good as OLED but it surpasses it!