Sony XBR X950G vs Next Year Models (HDMI 2.1/Games)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By geoffo11
  • 1 Post By Keithian
  • 1 Post By 8KCRT
  • 1 Post By alluringreality
  • 1 Post By alluringreality

post #1 of 26 Old 05-11-2019, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Question Sony XBR X950G vs Next Year Models (HDMI 2.1/Games)?

Well, I'm looking for a new TV unit. Last year, I tried a few TV's but a lot of them had problems with it and at the end I just gave up and wanted to wait since my 1080p TV was doing fine. My TV as of right now is still running like a champ but now recently I got back into console/pc gaming again and would love to see how these games truly look with a 4k unit and enjoy the games even further.

I was thinking of picking up a Sony XBR X950G 55 inch in a month but my gut feeling is telling me to wait for next year models and "hopefully" have HDMI 2.1 especially since PS5 might be coming out next year as well. You think HDMI 2.1 will be possible for next year or it's just a myth still. I don't want to buy a TV now and be outdated once the new tech comes along.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
Well, I'm looking for a new TV unit. Last year, I tried a few TV's but a lot of them had problems with it and at the end I just gave up and wanted to wait since my 1080p TV was doing fine. My TV as of right now is still running like a champ but now recently I got back into console/pc gaming again and would love to see how these games truly look with a 4k unit and enjoy the games even further.

I was thinking of picking up a Sony XBR X950G 55 inch in a month but my gut feeling is telling me to wait for next year models and "hopefully" have HDMI 2.1 especially since PS5 might be coming out next year as well. You think HDMI 2.1 will be possible for next year or it's just a myth still. I don't want to buy a TV now and be outdated once the new tech comes along.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
LG C9 has it now. Look there a lot things that need changing sound systems, consoles, etc. Things aren’t going to happen overnight. AV world moves slower than any other tech on the market. Anybody’s guess if it will take off next year. The thing is you could say the same thing every year.

Will Sony’s PS5 even hit 60 frames at 4K? If it’s rock solid you won’t need VRR. Speculation is Xmas 2020. Long time to hold for a tech that may help your gaming experience. Developers may need a year or 2 to hit their straps. Could be 2022 before games stress the TV.

Good friend of mine has the One X and purchased a Q7. Without a proper measuring instrument I saw little difference between that and his LG B6 except it was much brighter.
playaj likes this.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
LG C9 has it now. Look there a lot things that need changing sound systems, consoles, etc. Things aren’t going to happen overnight. AV world moves slower than any other tech on the market. Anybody’s guess if it will take off next year. The thing is you could say the same thing every year.

Will Sony’s PS5 even hit 60 frames at 4K? If it’s rock solid you won’t need VRR. Speculation is Xmas 2020. Long time to hold for a tech that may help your gaming experience. Developers may need a year or 2 to hit their straps. Could be 2022 before games stress the TV.

Good friend of mine has the One X and purchased a Q7. Without a proper measuring instrument I saw little difference between that and his LG B6 except it was much brighter.
Exactly. There's always something just around the corner. If you're in the market for a TV, get it if you find one in your budget.

Sony XBR-65Z9D / Oppo UDP-203 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I know there always something better coming up in the future. My main concern is, if the future is so close where HDMI 2.1 will be the norm next year since new gaming systems are right around the corner but I also don't want to wait for a whole year and a half since TV usually comes later in the middle of each year and nothing new is coming. This is my situation and don't know what to do now since I'm in standby.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I've started shopping, but right now I think the best move for me is to wait. I'd feel silly getting a model this year if next year has HDMI 2.1 features. In the 75"+ range I'm shopping the 2019 prices also dropped from 2018, so it's possible that could happen again next year. If those things don't happen, then it will still be possible to buy a 2019 model at a lower price than right now. I'm also considering OLED, and with the new OLED production coming online it also seems like a questionable time to buy. I have a perfectly fine 1080p TV, so there's not really a big reason to buy a 2019 TV.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-12-2019, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
I've started shopping, but right now I think the best move for me is to wait. I'd feel silly getting a model this year if next year has HDMI 2.1 features. In the 75"+ range I'm shopping the 2019 prices also dropped from 2018, so it's possible that could happen again next year. If those things don't happen, then it will still be possible to buy a 2019 model at a lower price than right now. I'm also considering OLED, and with the new OLED production coming online it also seems like a questionable time to buy. I have a perfectly fine 1080p TV, so there's not really a big reason to buy a 2019 TV.
Yes exactly how I feel. OLED would be a dream of mine but it's a definitely a no-no situation for me since I'll be hooking up a PC almost all of the time and that has tons of static image and could easily cause bad burn-ins. I think I could survive another year and hold out for HDMI 2.1 next year. I would feel so bad knowing I could of waited and BAM HDMI 2.1 comes out and won't be fully functional for future gaming systems aka PS4, XBOX.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Also something to keep in mind as I've discovered this sad state of affairs prior to ordering my 85" 950G from Best Buy: Sony, LG and Samsung are not improving their LCD lineup year to year. The 950G has incremental improvements (upscaling, banding, sound, remote control, wide angle viewing for larger screens, gaming latency, Netflix optimized) but essentially the display performance is indistinguishable from the 900F for most users. They have NOT increased the local dimming zones at all. Surprisingly, Samsung's 2019 lineup actually took a step back and performs WORSE than last year's lineup (just check the user reviews online). The impression among observers is that Sony and Samsung are no longer investing into improving LCD technology itself - quantum dot has pretty much reached the peak of its performance. HDMI 2.1 does nothing to improve current LCD panel performance (variable refresh is already available), and unless you have an 8K panel, the additional bandwidth offered by 2.1 is not relevant.

Only Vizio has promised better performance from its top of the line LCD Quantum X (but nothing above 75" in size) with more nits and more zones, while Hisense is introducing a new dual layered local dimming technology.

Unless you have a specific use case for 2.1 that is also supported by next year's LCD panels (planning on 8K?), you won't benefit from having 2.1 anyway.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Surprisingly, Samsung's 2019 lineup actually took a step back and performs WORSE than last year's lineup (just check the user reviews online).
While I think performance aspects like native contrast are certainly worth looking over closely, there are TV review sites giving the 2019 Q90 their highest scores for an LCD. I tend to think that accuracy should be a main consideration for a display, so I might judge Samsung more harshly than some reviewers, yet again Samsung is selling TVs with more dimming zones than Sony in 2019.

Quote:
Hisense is introducing a new dual layered local dimming technology.
ULED XD does sound very interesting, but based on what I think was their top-end 2018 TV review, I'm not sure if Hisense is necessarily running with the big boys in all performance areas like gaming lag. (The 2019 models may have improved in this area)

Quote:
Unless you have a specific use case for 2.1 that is also supported by next year's LCD panels (planning on 8K?), you won't benefit from having 2.1 anyway.
The next-generation consoles could support HDMI 2.1 features like 4K @ 120hz and automatic game mode switching, which are not offered on the X950G. Samsung has been offering some of these features in prior years and Sony has chosen not to match them, so it's entirely possible that next year could be a repeat of this year with Samsung again lacking eARC and Sony missing most of the other features that HDMI 2.1 brings to the table.

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
While I think performance aspects like native contrast are certainly worth looking over closely, there are TV review sites giving the 2019 Q90 their highest scores for an LCD. I tend to think that accuracy should be a main consideration for a display, so I might judge Samsung more harshly than some reviewers, yet again Samsung is selling TVs with more dimming zones than Sony in 2019.

ULED XD does sound very interesting, but based on what I think was their top-end 2018 TV review, I'm not sure if Hisense is necessarily running with the big boys in all performance areas like gaming lag.

The next-generation consoles could support HDMI 2.1 features like 4K @ 120hz and automatic game mode switching, which are not offered on the X950G.
Samsung 2019 Q80R and Q90R lineup is interesting in that they have compromised their deep colors and best in class (for LCD) blacks for the wider viewing angle. Their brightness has also dropped below last year. Critics apparently love the wider viewing angles, but users who spend most of the time directly in front of the TV aren't as thrilled with the lessened brightness and lighter blacks. When I originally ordered the Q80R, my BB rep asked me to come in so I could compare it against the Q8FN side by side (he set it up so that the same source was playing on both), and yep, the Q8FN was definitely brighter with colors that popped just a bit more. Unfortunately, no Dolby Vision on either, and I appreciated the 900F/950G's more accurate color presentation.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Samsung 2019 Q80R and Q90R lineup is interesting in that they have compromised their deep colors and best in class (for LCD) blacks for the wider viewing angle. Their brightness has also dropped below last year. Critics apparently love the wider viewing angles, but users who spend most of the time directly in front of the TV aren't as thrilled with the lessened brightness and lighter blacks. When I originally ordered the Q80R, my BB rep asked me to come in so I could compare it against the Q8FN side by side (he set it up so that the same source was playing on both), and yep, the Q8FN was definitely brighter with colors that popped just a bit more. Unfortunately, no Dolby Vision on either, and I appreciated the 900F/950G's more accurate color presentation.
Stop generalizing, as that is not true. Yes pure numbers on certain things are a bit lower like contrast ratio and color volume, but having both the Q9fn and the Q90 75 and 82" respectively I did not feel like I was making any sacrifice at all at any angle. If anything, yes, straight on, I felt the Q90 had more detail in the blacks and they were more than black enough on the bars. Colors felt much more natural out of the box and motion improved a bit. The angles werent that critical to me, but were icing on the cake but most of the time I sit center.

Most of the Q90 owners are thrilled with their purchase regardless of where they sit so your comments are ridiculous. The Q90r is definitely a case where some minor sacrifices were for the greater good and the one or two numbers one might see a difference do not tell the entire story.
Mikejl likes this.
post #11 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
Stop generalizing, as that is not true. Yes pure numbers on certain things are a bit lower like contrast ratio and color volume, but having both the Q9fn and the Q90 75 and 82" respectively I did not feel like I was making any sacrifice at all at any angle. If anything, yes, straight on, I felt the Q90 had more detail in the blacks and they were more than black enough on the bars. Colors felt much more natural out of the box and motion improved a bit. The angles werent that critical to me, but were icing on the cake but most of the time I sit center.

Most of the Q90 owners are thrilled with their purchase regardless of where they sit so your comments are ridiculous. The Q90r is definitely a case where some minor sacrifices were for the greater good and the one or two numbers one might see a difference do not tell the entire story.
That's awesome that you've had personal experience with both the Q9FN and Q90 in the 75/82" sizes - I have been unable to find any reviews for the bigger sizes. I apologize for the generalizations as I only have hyperbolic internet reviews and Best Buy demos for guidance! But as I am technically uncommitted to the 950G (delivery is still about 2 weeks out), I would love to hear your real world assessment of how the picture quality of the 82" Q90 compares to the 75' or 82" Q9FN?
Were the improvements noticeable during your various usages (cinema, gaming, sports, etc.)?
How do you like the One Connect box?
post #12 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you don't really care about the OS and most of your media will come from external devices, the X900F is a better buy than the X950G.

The TCL Mini LED is the most immediately exciting LCD television available later this year. Might be worth waiting for.

post #13 of 26 Old 05-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
If you don't really care about the OS and most of your media will come from external devices, the X900F is a better buy than the X950G.

The TCL Mini LED is the most immediately exciting LCD television available later this year. Might be worth waiting for.
Correct - all my sources will not be from the TV but connected to my AVR. However, the 85" size is only $500 more than the 900F, and will have better latency, X-Wide viewing plus better upscaling which would be quite noticeable on the 85" size. If it was a smaller size like 65", no doubt the 900F is a significantly better deal.

Last edited by 8KCRT; 05-14-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: more information
post #14 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know there always something better coming up in the future. My main concern is, if the future is so close where HDMI 2.1 will be the norm next year since new gaming systems are right around the corner but I also don't want to wait for a whole year and a half since TV usually comes later in the middle of each year and nothing new is coming. This is my situation and don't know what to do now since I'm in standby.
What specifically about HDMI 2.1 that beckons you to wait? TLDR: Sony has not shown a history of supporting gaming technologies on its LCD displays when they were available with HDMI 2.0, so why would HDMI 2.1 make Sony do anything different? Here's a quick summary of HDMI 2.1 specs and what I think will happen:
1. Auto Low Latency Mode: no big deal, you just manually set your TV to "Game Mode" rather than have the TV automatically detect and switch to game mode. Not worth waiting for IMO, and not going to affect your gaming experience. You're also assuming that Sony will support this feature.
2. eARC: already implemented in the 950G, so a moot point, no need to wait for this.
3. Quick Frame Transport: "QFT operates on the transport portion of this equation by reducing the time it takes to send only the active video across the cable." It reduces latency, but if the latency is a big issue for you, you'll probably be disappointed with whatever Sony puts out (HDMI 2.1 or not) as they have never been known to support gaming like Samsung. HDMI 2.1 will not make a big difference if Sony doesn't optimize the TV for low latency gaming - even without 2.1, Samsung QLED already has low latency. Compared to the Samsung Q90R ([email protected] Hz =15.0 ms, 1080p @ 60 Hz =15 ms, [email protected] Hz =10.6 ms, [email protected] =10.7 ms) the 950G averages close to 20 ms across the board, and does NOT support [email protected] Hz (even the lesser Q70R supports [email protected] Hz =15.5 ms). Dollar for Dollar, the 950G is an OK casual gaming TV but not close to what Samsung QLED offers.
4. Variable Refresh Rate: IMO the best gaming feature of 2.1 - "A variable refresh rate (VRR) is the general term for a dynamic display refresh rate that can continuously and seamlessly vary on the fly, on displays that support variable refresh rate technologies. A major purpose of variable refresh rates is the elimination of stutters and tearing by keeping refresh rates in sync with a varying frame rate from a video game." AGAIN, Sony has shown ZERO interest in supporting this higher level gaming feature. Samsung ALREADY supports VRR without HDMI 2.1; so if Sony doesn't support it now, why would it support VRR later with HDMI 2.1?
4. Quick Media Switching: for movies and video that eliminates delays and blank screens when switching between content sources. Not a big deal, and won't improve image/gaming quality.

In short, Sony TVs are GREAT for movies and acceptable for "casual" gaming, but if you're serious about the bleeding edge gaming features? Get a Samsung QLED, period. Their sets are calibrated for gaming: bright, saturated colors popping off the screen; however, the Sony has more accurate coloration out of the box, and more subtle gradations in darker scenes, albeit without the deeper blacks. Most importantly, it's significantly cheaper than the Samsung Q90R - which is why I bought the 950G 85" (Q90R is $1,000 more for 82").
playaj likes this.

Last edited by 8KCRT; 05-14-2019 at 12:16 PM. Reason: clarity
post #15 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What specifically about HDMI 2.1 that beckons you to wait? TLDR: Sony has not shown a history of supporting gaming technologies on its LCD displays when they were available with HDMI 2.0, so why would HDMI 2.1 make Sony do anything different? Here's a quick summary of HDMI 2.1 specs and what I think will happen:
1. Auto Low Latency Mode: no big deal, you just manually set your TV to "Game Mode" rather than have the TV automatically detect and switch to game mode. Not worth waiting for IMO, and not going to affect your gaming experience. You're also assuming that Sony will support this feature.
2. eARC: already implemented in the 950G, so a moot point, no need to wait for this.
3. Quick Frame Transport: "QFT operates on the transport portion of this equation by reducing the time it takes to send only the active video across the cable." It reduces latency, but if the latency is a big issue for you, you'll probably be disappointed with whatever Sony puts out (HDMI 2.1 or not) as they have never been known to support gaming like Samsung. HDMI 2.1 will not make a big difference if Sony doesn't optimize the TV for low latency gaming - even without 2.1, Samsung QLED already has low latency. Compared to the Samsung Q90R ([email protected] Hz =15.0 ms, 1080p @ 60 Hz =15 ms, [email protected] Hz =10.6 ms, [email protected] =10.7 ms) the 950G averages close to 20 ms across the board, and does NOT support [email protected] Hz (even the lesser Q70R supports [email protected] Hz =15.5 ms). Dollar for Dollar, the 950G is an OK casual gaming TV but not close to what Samsung QLED offers.
4. Variable Refresh Rate: IMO the best gaming feature of 2.1 - "A variable refresh rate (VRR) is the general term for a dynamic display refresh rate that can continuously and seamlessly vary on the fly, on displays that support variable refresh rate technologies. A major purpose of variable refresh rates is the elimination of stutters and tearing by keeping refresh rates in sync with a varying frame rate from a video game." AGAIN, Sony has shown ZERO interest in supporting this higher level gaming feature. Samsung ALREADY supports VRR without HDMI 2.1; so if Sony doesn't support it now, why would it support VRR later with HDMI 2.1?
4. Quick Media Switching: for movies and video that eliminates delays and blank screens when switching between content sources. Not a big deal, and won't improve image/gaming quality.

In short, Sony TVs are GREAT for movies and acceptable for "casual" gaming, but if you're serious about the bleeding edge gaming features? Get a Samsung QLED, period. Their sets are calibrated for gaming: bright, saturated colors popping off the screen; however, the Sony has more accurate coloration out of the box, and more subtle gradations in darker scenes, albeit without the deeper blacks. Most importantly, it's significantly cheaper than the Samsung Q90R - which is why I bought the 950G 85" (Q90R is $1,000 more for 82").
Thanks so much for taking your time and typing all of that for me. I didn't even know Sony couldn't do [email protected] Hz.... that's something I need to think about now. You think getting a Samsung Q8FN (last year model) instead of me picking up the 950G or even the Samsung RU8000? BTW I'm looking at 55 inches unless a super good deal comes along for a 65 but 65inch is out of my budget.

PS

Wouldn't I be missing Dolby Vision when going with Samsung? Isn't Dolby Vision the king format for 4k from what I've been reading online?

Last edited by squad22345; 05-14-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. Auto Low Latency Mode: no big deal, you just manually set your TV to "Game Mode" rather than have the TV automatically detect and switch to game mode. Not worth waiting for IMO, and not going to affect your gaming experience.
The reason someone might want this feature is if they also plan to use the gaming device for other content, so that they don't have a reason to manually turn game mode on and off depending on use.

Quote:
if Sony doesn't support it now, why would it support VRR later with HDMI 2.1?
The main reason would be if they were going to be at a feature deficit compared to other brands. With just Samsung providing the features it's not really a big deal, but as LG and others jump on board there's more pressure for Sony to also adopt the standards. It's pretty clear from reading these boards that people often buy based on features, so Sony will not want to fall too far behind however other manufactures decide to go in offering HDMI 2.1 features on 4k TVs.

Another possibility would be feature compatibility with their other products. With Sony presumably selling a new console next year, it might make sense for them to also sell feature compatible TVs. I would expect the next consoles could offer HDMI 2.1 features, so the main question is if Sony TVs also offer those features or not. Of course this isn't a given, since Samsung has decided to not offer eARC on their 2019 TVs, while they reportedly have other products supporting eARC (PS4 also reportedly supports ALLM).

Quote:
In short, Sony TVs are GREAT for movies and acceptable for "casual" gaming, but if you're serious about the bleeding edge gaming features? Get a Samsung QLED, period.
Another take is that, if someone wants eARC and other HDMI 2.1 features, LG might be about as good as it gets for 2019 4K TVs.
JediMindTrick likes this.

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #17 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The reason someone might want this feature is if they also plan to use the gaming device for other content, so that they don't have a reason to manually turn game mode on and off depending on use.

The main reason would be if they were going to be at a feature deficit compared to other brands. With just Samsung providing the features it's not really a big deal, but as LG and others jump on board there's more pressure for Sony to also adopt the standards. It's pretty clear from reading these boards that people often buy based on features, so Sony will not want to fall too far behind however manufactures decide to go in offering HDMI 2.1 features on 4k TVs.

Another possibility would be feature compatibility with their other products. With Sony presumably selling a new console next year, it might make sense for them to also sell feature compatible TVs. I would expect the next consoles could offer HDMI 2.1 features, so the main question is if Sony TVs also offer those features or not. Of course this isn't a given, since Samsung has decided to not offer eARC on their 2019 TVs, while they reportedly have other products supporting eARC.

Another take is that, if someone wants eARC and other HDMI 2.1 features, LG might be about as good as it gets for 2019 4K TVs.
Which LG model are we talking about? I like to do some research for that TV as well. Right now I'm looking at Samsung RU8000, Samsung Q6FN or Q8FN(if I could find them), Sony 950G or that LG tv you were talking about. If its an oled then I can't afford it and don't want burn-ins. I want my TV to last for awhile... I know technology today aren't meant to last unlike the good old days but at least it will last little bit lol.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Which LG model are we talking about? I like to do some research for that TV as well.
Mainly I was referring to the LG C9, which is OLED. They have other 2019 4K LCDs with similar features, yet I think they're all IPS and would have considerably lighter black levels than the models you're shopping.

Quote:
I want my TV to last for awhile.
I noticed the 2019 QLEDs at Sam's Club and Costco have 5 year manufacturer warranties, rather than the typical 1 year warranty. Of course the current 2019 prices will fall during the year. Since the Q6FN is on your list, the Q7DR or Q70 might be worth considering.

Last edited by alluringreality; 05-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #19 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for taking your time and typing all of that for me. I didn't even know Sony couldn't do [email protected] Hz.... that's something I need to think about now. You think getting a Samsung Q8FN (last year model) instead of me picking up the 950G or even the Samsung RU8000? BTW I'm looking at 55 inches unless a super good deal comes along for a 65 but 65inch is out of my budget.

PS

Wouldn't I be missing Dolby Vision when going with Samsung? Isn't Dolby Vision the king format for 4k from what I've been reading online?
Q8FN does NOT support [email protected], only Q90R supports 4K HDR gaming, but the Q8FN does support [email protected] (Xbox One X and PC gaming). Here's a link to that discussion: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...e-talk-71.html

Dolby Vision: Nope. DV makes a bigger difference for the less bright displays but doesn't make a huge difference for either Q8FN or Q90R; because they're both soooooo bright (over 1500 nits), Dolby Vision's adjustments wouldn't do much - this is why arguably Samsung is pushing HDR10+ as it is supposed to take better advantage of its super bright displays.

Q8FN: personally, I'm a big fan of the Q8FN and would have bought it in a heartbeat over the 950G (especially as it's about $500 cheaper being last year's model), but unfortunately I need the X-Wide viewing angle for our large couch HT setup and the Q8FN is only awesome when sitting directly in front. Otherwise, it's a no-brainer for gamers who don't need wide viewing angles. Aside from gaming, the Q8FN is simply an awesome set and arguably better than the Q9FN because it doesn't have that dodgy One Connect Box. Short of the Q90R, the Q8FN is probably the best 55"/65" gaming TV you can buy right now (assuming you're not considering OLED).

Last edited by 8KCRT; 05-14-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammar
post #20 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The only reason I am considering waiting out another year is for a larger size TV. Really want something 90+ in the 7k range.
post #21 of 26 Old 05-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Short of the Q90R, the Q8FN is probably the best 55"/65" gaming TV you can buy right now (assuming you're not considering OLED).
Ugh. I had narrowed it down between the open box 55Q8FN my local retailer had, and the 55X950G. After playing around with both, I preferred the image quality of the Sony and the retailer offered it to me for $100 less than what they were asking for their last Q8, and tossed in a 3 year warranty. I pulled the trigger on the Sony. Everything I'm reading now seems to tell me I chose...poorly.

Live and learn, I guess. The Q6 I had and returned just soured me on the Samsungs. Probably clouded my judgement. Wish I would have grabbed that Q8.
post #22 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
AV world moves slower than any other tech on the market.
AV markets are moving the bar faster than PCs right now. Most significant PC changes are even in the AV domain. The reason we're always behind in purchases is because the bar is moving faster than other markets, not slower. Been that way for over 2 decades. Whatever receiver you buy is obsolete in 3 years or less. Other markets up the bar with speed and refinement. No other consumer market continually changes the game and obsoletes old tech like AV.
post #23 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
I pulled the trigger on the Sony. Everything I'm reading now seems to tell me I chose...poorly.
I think the Samsung "Ultra Black" screen finish on their high-end models is probably the best in the business. Otherwise it's still the Sony X1 Ultimate models and OLEDs that are my frontrunners. The X950G seems like a good choice to me for anyone that isn't interested in waiting to see if any changes happen next year.
Reflex-Arc likes this.
post #24 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
I think the Samsung "Ultra Black" screen finish on their high-end models is probably the best in the business. Otherwise it's still the Sony X1 Ultimate models and OLEDs that are my frontrunners. The X950G seems like a good choice to me for anyone that isn't interested in waiting to see if any changes happen next year.
Yeah. My 950G is a fine display, and I should be happy with it. The screen is practically perfect as far as uniformity is concerned. It does pretty much everything I need it to, and I selected it based on my preference in it's picture quality over the Samsung. Plus it was cheaper, so that's a bonus. I guess the only reason I'm hemming and hawing is because I purchased it as a dedicated gaming screen to take a bit of burden off the OLED in the living room, and I feel I'm missing out on the gaming features on the Samsung. Well...and the superior contrast ratio wouldn't hurt.

I've got a 30 return window. If I can't seem to get my brain to be happy with it.
post #25 of 26 Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:

The main reason would be if they were going to be at a feature deficit compared to other brands. With just Samsung providing the features it's not really a big deal, but as LG and others jump on board there's more pressure for Sony to also adopt the standards. It's pretty clear from reading these boards that people often buy based on features, so Sony will not want to fall too far behind however other manufactures decide to go in offering HDMI 2.1 features on 4k TVs.

Another possibility would be feature compatibility with their other products. With Sony presumably selling a new console next year, it might make sense for them to also sell feature compatible TVs. I would expect the next consoles could offer HDMI 2.1 features, so the main question is if Sony TVs also offer those features or not. Of course this isn't a given, since Samsung has decided to not offer eARC on their 2019 TVs, while they reportedly have other products supporting eARC (PS4 also reportedly supports ALLM).

Great takes, and I do agree with you that Sony will need to "keep up with the pack" so will likely be at least HDMI 2.1 compliant for their 2021 mainstream TVs, but my belief is that Sony has little interest in "future proofing" their models in the same way that LG and Samsung seems to be doing by incorporating the latest and greatest standards before anybody else (for gaming at least) - Sony sadly appears to be following the market when it comes to these features. I honestly am skeptical about whether next year's 2020 model X950/900 will yet have HDMI 2.1; I'm more certain that their Master series will have it, but I'm having doubts about the lineup just below the Master series.
post #26 of 26 Old 05-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftonite View Post
The only reason I am considering waiting out another year is for a larger size TV. Really want something 90+ in the 7k range.
Same boat here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page