Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 41 Old 08-28-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Viewing Angle

How is the viewing angle on the TV. We're thinking about installing this TV in a fast-casual restaurant that is long and narrow, so lots of off-axis viewing. OLED's look the best but the 77" is too much and this 86" is reasonably priced.

Alfred--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
82" Feedback

So, I took the plunge on the 82" given the combination of VA panel feedback and price. It is replacing a LG 70" IPS panel 6350 series set that developed a line in the screen, which Citi extended warranty thankfully took care of.

My other most commonly viewed set is an older 60" V series Panasonic plasma and a newer 55" Vizio P series in the bedroom. This set is in a brightly lit but no direct sunlight room.

Regarding the 70" 6350, that was a Costco deal from a few years back and that set was "just" good enough for me. It had definite screen uniformity issues and some banding that were obvious on gray screens, but not very bothersome to me in day to day viewing. Contrast and black levels on it were just good enough. I wasn't happy with them overall but for the price the set was a good value. So those sets are my frames of reference. Most of my use is 1080p cable and PS4, no real true 4k input.

First off, same as the rtings feedback it performs like a VA panel. I don't think the viewing angle is terrible, I'd say somewhere around 30 degrees off axis is about the limit I'd want to subject picky friends to. Could be an issue for many but this is an inherent weakness.

Big things for me, color accuracy appears to be very good, and the black levels/contrast are also quite acceptable to me. I've spent quite a bit of time with the set viewing various source materials and games, and I haven't touched the color settings after the 2nd day or so. On the old LG, I had a heck of a time getting that set dialed into one set of settings that I liked across various source material, and to be honest the final setting always felt like a bit of a compromise across various movies and TV. This LG seems to have very good color accuracy to my eyes, on par with the old plasma and giving me none of the same struggle. The only issue I had was that the set has two separate sets of settings for HDR and non-HDR, and it took quite a bit more work to get the HDR settings where I liked them. But the majority of my viewing is regular output from the cable box and I am very happy with the color being true.

In terms of contrast and black levels, again, this set is a big step up from the old LG, and in the same ballpark as the Vizio and my plasma. Not inky black like OLED by any means, but definitely good enough for what I consider to be my fairly picky eyes. Non-critical users will definitely be satisfied, and hobbyists that can appreciate value placement of the set should be satisfied as well.

I do have two areas where the price of the set shows through. First one is uniformity/banding, on a gray screen you can definitely see uniformity issues and some banding, but to be honest I have not personally seen an LCD/LED set where I didn't notice this to some extent on a solid color screen, and it is definitely better than the old LG. On the good side I can say that I have not noticed this in regular viewing material, but I could see it being noticeable on something like hockey or outdoor snow sports watching. I don't find it objectionable compared to other sets I've seen, but it is there.

Second area is in the judder / motion interpolation, where I am going back and forth between using the motion features at zero for smoothing and 1 for dejudder vs. not using them at all. Using the low setting smooths things out but has just a tiny touch of looking unnatural, whereas if I fully disable them I can pick up a little bit of judder on some of the cable movies, slow moving panning scenes seem to be the most obvious and it can be pretty jarring. This is hard for me to evaluate fairly because part of it could be due to the sheer size of the set... the bigger screen definitely makes this more noticeable so I can't really say for sure if this set is any better or worse as I don't have seat time in front of a bunch of other 80+ inch sets in my room to compare it to. But the judder is pretty irritating and obvious when it shows up, so I am leaning towards using the lowest tick on the dejudder as the artifacts from it are also rare and not as obvious when they do show up. This has not been a problem for me on smaller sets before, typically I leave all those smoothing features completely off.

I'm also not qualified to evaluate HDR properly as I have neither the source materials or enough experience to say if it is good or not, but I don't think this set is particularly eyeball burning bright like some of the Samsungs I have seen. I do consider the picture to be very accurate with great color and don't find it to have any trouble being properly bright to give an accurate film picture. I know it can be bright enough to be inaccurate and annoying to my eyes, so that's bright enough in my book. But according to the specs it can't get nearly as bright as many newer sets for HDR, so if HDR eyeball burning is your thing, this is probably not a good choice.

After that all the other little things seem to be typical LG, the menus and smart features seem at least competitive, everything is snappy and responsive. Only other thing I really noticed is the set is a pig, easily twice as heavy as the 70" it replaced. I could handle that 70" in short spurts by myself, absolutely no chance of that at all with this 82", and if you are upgrading you may well need a beefier wall mount.

Overall I'm quite pleased with this set considering the price and what I saw performance wise from other current >80" offerings I was looking at. I think it will serve me well for a few years until big size OLED or all these new quantum leap developments on LCD sets prove out and drop to reasonable prices. I can fully recommend it if you are in the market for a "budget" set over 75".
Phamgia likes this.

Last edited by Slarez; 09-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #33 of 41 Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
LG 86 in. TV - Sound/Audio

I bought the Costco LG 86 inch TV (Model 86UM8070AUB)and have a question regarding the sound output. When connected to a soundbar through an optical cord, it doesn't allow you to select Dolby Atmos - the sound is labeled "standard". It says that you have to use the built-in speakers for that; which of course are not good! I also tried another soundbar with an HDMI ARC connection; same results. So my question is: what does "standard" mean? The outputted sound doesn't sound like 5.1 and doesn't have the range of sound that I had on my other TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 Old 12-11-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkeller View Post
I bought the Costco LG 86 inch TV (Model 86UM8070AUB)and have a question regarding the sound output. When connected to a soundbar through an optical cord, it doesn't allow you to select Dolby Atmos - the sound is labeled "standard". It says that you have to use the built-in speakers for that; which of course are not good! I also tried another soundbar with an HDMI ARC connection; same results. So my question is: what does "standard" mean? The outputted sound doesn't sound like 5.1 and doesn't have the range of sound that I had on my other TV.
Neither ARC nor optical will carry ATMOS. ARC is the HDMI version of optical and has the same format and bandwidth limitations.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #35 of 41 Old 12-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
Neither ARC nor optical will carry ATMOS. ARC is the HDMI version of optical and has the same format and bandwidth limitations.
Yes, thank you for that, but do you think that "standard" is 5.1 audio? Lack of any decent manuals or writings with LG, so can't really feel or hear that in the soundbar.
post #36 of 41 Old 12-11-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
Quote:
Originally Posted by timkeller View Post
Yes, thank you for that, but do you think that "standard" is 5.1 audio? Lack of any decent manuals or writings with LG, so can't really feel or hear that in the soundbar.
Honestly, it's hard to say. No better than 5.1, possibly even 2-channel PCM.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #37 of 41 Old 12-23-2019, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Owners of the LG 86SM9070PUA might want to check out some configuration recommendations I found on rtings.com in a comment to the review of this LG line:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...eview-settings

The author of this comment, Draconius, really has some good suggestions to get the most out of this TV. I recently purchased this set and the default settings gave me a bit of buyer's remorse, but after implementing Draconius' suggestions I have no regrets at all about this purchase.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #38 of 41 Old 01-02-2020, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraub View Post
Owners of the LG 86SM9070PUA might want to check out some configuration recommendations I found on rtings.com in a comment to the review of this LG line:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/discussion...eview-settings

The author of this comment, Draconius, really has some good suggestions to get the most out of this TV. I recently purchased this set and the default settings gave me a bit of buyer's remorse, but after implementing Draconius' suggestions I have no regrets at all about this purchase.
Are there similarly comprehensive settings out there for the 86UM8070AUB (Costco 86" version)?

The only settings I'm able to find are on rtings but those apply to the VA panel ( < 86")
post #39 of 41 Old 01-02-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The actual review refers to a TV with an IPA panel and the note I referred to was in response to that review. Here's a link to the actual review:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sm9000

I think all current LG's 86" models use a IPA panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromplasmato View Post
Are there similarly comprehensive settings out there for the 86UM8070AUB (Costco 86" version)?

The only settings I'm able to find are on rtings but those apply to the VA panel ( < 86")

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #40 of 41 Old 01-14-2020, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lg 86" tv

I would like anyone's input on the LG 86" 8070 TV vs the Sony x850G tv. Since both have low super bowl pricing right now, what are the pro's and cons on this. I have read through the threads on these two tv's but still wonder which is best.

The TV will be used in our great room, and will be used in daylight and also in darker situations, although I usually leave a light on in the kitchen (behind the great room) as I watch tv.
post #41 of 41 Old 01-14-2020, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannongjr View Post
I would like anyone's input on the LG 86" 8070 TV vs the Sony x850G tv. Since both have low super bowl pricing right now, what are the pro's and cons on this. I have read through the threads on these two tv's but still wonder which is best.

The TV will be used in our great room, and will be used in daylight and also in darker situations, although I usually leave a light on in the kitchen (behind the great room) as I watch tv.
I can't provide a comprehensive answer, but I've been looking at these two TVs and a few others. I think the biggest difference between them, among the factors high on my list, is that the LG uses an IPS panel which will provide a wider viewing angle. OTOH, the Sony should look better in a dark room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page