2019 Samsung RU8000 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 05-14-2019, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
2019 Samsung RU8000 Owner's Thread

Thinking about getting this as a secondary TV. Nobody made an owner's thread and the price dropped recently so here we go.


Diocletian is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 05-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Number_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I came across this review by PC Magazine. They rated it highly on color accuracy and contrast, but dinged it for mediocre brightness.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/368165/...un65ru8000fxza
Number_6 is offline  
post #3 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
I came across this review by PC Magazine. They rated it highly on color accuracy and contrast, but dinged it for mediocre brightness.
Just how big of a deal is the brightness problem you think?

I'm heavily eyeballing this model because I like Samsung sets and I need a new 75 incher.

I saw the unit in Best Buy and it looks fantastic for the price. Of course it doesn't have FALD, but with that contrast ratio the blacks looked as deep as the QLEDs on display.
Drewtato is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
I came across this review by PC Magazine. They rated it highly on color accuracy and contrast, but dinged it for mediocre brightness.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/368165/...un65ru8000fxza
So I picked up the 65 inch yesterday with a discount on top of the recent price drop as well as 60 day price protection. I thought I got a great deal but I noticed what they noticed in this article: the picture is on the dim side in movie mode. However, I noticed this snippet from that article, which I can confirm to be absolutely true.
Quote:
You can bump that contrast up to 14,687:1 in Dynamic picture mode, which pushes peak brightness up to 440.61cd/m2 and black level down to 0.03cd/m2, but this will unacceptably harm color accuracy, since the mode doesn't enable the Warm1 or Warm2 color temperature presets.
This turned out to be GREAT for me since I actually do NOT like the Warm1 or Warm2 presets. They make the picture too yellow, in my opinion. As soon as I switched to the Dynamic mode, the picture got acceptably bright and the black level indeed got even lower. This seems to be the only way to optimize this set right now. I continued by turning off all the auto picture settings, and lowering the color setting to a reasonable setting with the AV709 test patterns and TV content filmed during the daytime. The color probably isn't 100% accurate, but it's pretty accurate to my eyes, and getting a brighter panel with a lower black level is worth it.

After these tweaks, I can now comfortably say that this panel was definitely worth my money. I didn't find any panel defects with the AV709 patterns, either. However, I advise that nobody buy it until the price drops to $1000 which is what I got it for with the recent price drop and discount. I was going to get the NU8000 due to the advice here and elsewhere, but they only had open box sets since people rushed to buy it and the price difference after the salesperson discounted it further was worth getting a brand new, sealed box.
Panson likes this.
Diocletian is online now  
post #5 of 32 Old 05-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Number_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
So I picked up the 65 inch yesterday with a discount on top of the recent price drop as well as 60 day price protection.
[snipped for brevity]
After these tweaks, I can now comfortably say that this panel was definitely worth my money. I didn't find any panel defects with the AV709 patterns, either. However, I advise that nobody buy it until the price drops to $1000 which is what I got it for with the recent price drop and discount.
Congrats on being the first owner in this thread! As far as I know, this is a VA panel without any particular "wide angle" tech (like the much higher end Q80/90, or X950G) so I'm guessing it has the usual viewing angle limitations past about 20 degrees--but I'm curious if you feel like the viewing angles are reasonable with your set?
Number_6 is offline  
post #6 of 32 Old 05-17-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
but I'm curious if you feel like the viewing angles are reasonable with your set?
I wasn't going to spend more than $1000 so I knew what I was getting into. The seating area is right in front of the TV and nowhere else so the limited viewing angles aren't really an issue. Even at 30 degrees off to the side the picture is suitably viewable.
Diocletian is online now  
post #7 of 32 Old 05-25-2019, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru8000

New review but they didn't mention the brightness fix with Dynamic mode that PCMag did.
Diocletian is online now  
post #8 of 32 Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Member
 
dethpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
thinking of picking one of these up. I have a TCL p607 right now, and the 4k sub pixel issues in games are driving me nuts. I had a KS 8000 a while back that had screen blinking or HDMI issues, I;m hoping this set wouldn't have that issue. I'm a bit leery about the brightness levels in this set.
dethpuck is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 05-31-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethpuck View Post
thinking of picking one of these up. I have a TCL p607 right now, and the 4k sub pixel issues in games are driving me nuts. I had a KS 8000 a while back that had screen blinking or HDMI issues, I;m hoping this set wouldn't have that issue. I'm a bit leery about the brightness levels in this set.
I would say the only issue this set has with brightness are in regards to HDR movies. It's unacceptably dim for HDR movies. Everything else is bright enough, and this set excels at gaming.
Diocletian is online now  
post #10 of 32 Old 06-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had the 82 inch NU8000 and had it exchanged for the same size RU8000. The NU8000 had severe back light bleed and flash lighting in the corners but other than that it was OK . I am much happier with the RU8000. The black levels are better and it is more responsive (menus, connectivity, etc). Yes, it is slightly dimmer but hardly noticeable for our watching purposes and HDR is not the best but OK. I would get the 80R or 90R or LG C9 if HDR is a priority and not an edge lit TV. In general, I think it is a good value.
bac2040 is offline  
post #11 of 32 Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac2040 View Post
In general, I think it is a good value.
Only at the current price and even then I would wait for the price to drop another 100 or more. This will be a great value on Black Friday, but NOT if you want HDR.
Panson likes this.
Diocletian is online now  
post #12 of 32 Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Another price drop for this set and a new video from rtings.



Diocletian is online now  
post #13 of 32 Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
jelliott25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just ordered a 75" to be delivered tomorrow. Picture looked pretty good in the BB. I could see a difference between it and the Samsung QLEDs that were next to it but they were so close that I would never be able to justify the price difference. Granted, I'm old and my vision is garbage but I think I'm going to be very happy. Of course, the TV I'm replacing is a 720P 50" Panasonic Plasma I bought in 2007 so this is a fairly significant upgrade for me.
Panson likes this.

--Elliott--
(gamertag: hoofdpijn)

"Weck up to thees!"
jelliott25 is offline  
post #14 of 32 Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ordered 65" RU8000. Should be delivered in about one week. Had 55KU6290 & 55KU6490, and 40MU6300. Didn't really like the 60hz and its weaker motion interpolation. Really looking forward to 120hz & better motion. In dark room, I'm sure brightness will be OK watching 4K HDR movies. First time having wide color gamut too.
Been very interested to check out [email protected] with my PC (6700k / Strix GTX 1070), looks fun to play PUBG @ 65" 120hz.
Too bad that MDG Canada do not have Q70 or Q80 or last year's NU8000 though, but I know that I will be happy with RU8000 since it's much better than my previous KU6290/6490 & MU6300 for sure.
Hope many are happy with their new RU8000 too.
Justin Bond is offline  
post #15 of 32 Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bond View Post
In dark room, I'm sure brightness will be OK watching 4K HDR movies.
I have a dark room for my RU8000. It gets very little sun in the daytime, even. Even in pitch black darkness I can tell that HDR is not bright enough. You might think it's bright enough if you have low expectations but I was disappointed. You have to tweak the picture when you watch HDR content just to achieve the brightest image possible. I think this is a good enough set for the price I paid, but it is NOT worth the money for HDR content. Even slightly cheaper sets like the TCL, HiSense, and Vizio get brighter in HDR mode than this set. It's quite good for SDR content, however, and I only watch SDR on this set. Thankfully I got my RU8000 for $1000 a month ago so I don't feel like I missed out by paying $900-1000 for another budget 65' set.
Diocletian is online now  
post #16 of 32 Old 06-16-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
VA_DaveB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,353
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
I have a dark room for my RU8000. It gets very little sun in the daytime, even. Even in pitch black darkness I can tell that HDR is not bright enough. You might think it's bright enough if you have low expectations but I was disappointed. You have to tweak the picture when you watch HDR content just to achieve the brightest image possible. I think this is a good enough set for the price I paid, but it is NOT worth the money for HDR content. Even slightly cheaper sets like the TCL, HiSense, and Vizio get brighter in HDR mode than this set. It's quite good for SDR content, however, and I only watch SDR on this set. Thankfully I got my RU8000 for $1000 a month ago so I don't feel like I missed out by paying $900-1000 for another budget 65' set.
For HDR, an LCD has to have FALD to create the required deep blacks together with bright peak white highlights. The RU8000 has no local dimming and therefore cannot show HDR correctly. I didn't care about or want HDR on my basement TV, just needed an inexpensive VA panel for deep blacks in a dark room. So I spent $550 on a 65" NU6900 last year which works well. Great contrast ratio, but fairly dim with no local dimming but fine in my dark basement. Mostly I watch sports on it with all motion processing off and would never think to watch any HDR content on it.
Panson likes this.
VA_DaveB is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 06-30-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just updated to the 1303.7 update available on the website and this set is now becoming unresponsive unless you turn it off and back on. I've tried a reset and unplugging the set overnight but to no avail. Luckily this is just a secondary TV so I am not totally in trouble. External devices still work fine but even changing the volume is not possible with the remote. The only thing that works is pressing the off button on the remote, waiting 10 seconds for the TV to finally turn itself off, and turning it back on to make it responsive again but that only lasts half an hour or so.


For anybody else out there still on 1065. Stay there! I have to wait for the next firmware update.
Panson likes this.
Diocletian is online now  
post #18 of 32 Old 06-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Member
 
abuhafsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this yesterday at Fry's for $799 to replace a sony 65" that had died. I don't like the rtings calibration settings. Make's the picture look on the green/yellow side. Can anyone else post their expert picture settings?
abuhafsa is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 06-30-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Just updated to the 1303.7 update available on the website and this set is now becoming unresponsive unless you turn it off and back on. I've tried a reset and unplugging the set overnight but to no avail. Luckily this is just a secondary TV so I am not totally in trouble. External devices still work fine but even changing the volume is not possible with the remote. The only thing that works is pressing the off button on the remote, waiting 10 seconds for the TV to finally turn itself off, and turning it back on to make it responsive again but that only lasts half an hour or so.


For anybody else out there still on 1065. Stay there! I have to wait for the next firmware update.
Related:

- Model : RU8000, Q60RA, Q70RA, Q80RA, Q90RA, Q900RB

- Version : 1303.7

- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #20 of 32 Old 06-30-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post
I bought this yesterday at Fry's for $799 to replace a sony 65" that had died. I don't like the rtings calibration settings. Make's the picture look on the green/yellow side. Can anyone else post their expert picture settings?
The key is to use Standard instead of Warm2. I don't know why everybody recommends Warm2. It makes everything look yellow.

I find this set performs best in Dynamic mode instead of Movie mode. The blacks are blacker and the set is brighter. The only issue is that you get CE dimming, where the screen darkens when a mostly black image appears. CE dimming can be disabled in the service menu but I haven't bothered doing it.
Diocletian is online now  
post #21 of 32 Old 07-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Member
 
abuhafsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
The key is to use Standard instead of Warm2. I don't know why everybody recommends Warm2. It makes everything look yellow.

I find this set performs best in Dynamic mode instead of Movie mode. The blacks are blacker and the set is brighter. The only issue is that you get CE dimming, where the screen darkens when a mostly black image appears. CE dimming can be disabled in the service menu but I haven't bothered doing it.
Actually I got another $100 off on this set for Sunday promocode price match but I ended up returning the set as I did not like the picture quality at all. Everything looked washed out.
abuhafsa is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post
Actually I got another $100 off on this set for Sunday promocode price match but I ended up returning the set as I did not like the picture quality at all. Everything looked washed out.
Nice. I got this set with a similar discount but I have to say, even though the current 1303.7 firmware is making my TV unresponsive, the picture is not washed out at all. If anything, the default settings are oversaturated.
Diocletian is online now  
post #23 of 32 Old 07-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Member
 
flargosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone know the service menu code for this model?
flargosa is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lordcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Posts: 2,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I got the 65" a couple months ago for well under $1000 from Fry's. I've had no issues with HDR content, and in a slightly lit room, black levels are great.

Overall, the picture quality is really good, and my only regret is that it isn't a 75" set.

I would love to have it calibrated, as I feel as though I'm missing out on the last bit of color reproduction.

But again, overall, it's a great TV.
lordcloud is offline  
post #25 of 32 Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post
I've had no issues with HDR content
I've found the HDR content to be too dim to enjoy, but it didn't bug me because I don't really watch any HDR content to begin with. What settings did you use to get HDR the way you like it? Are you still on the 1065 firmware?
Diocletian is online now  
post #26 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys, I currently have the Samsung EU40KU6000 which I bought 3 years ago for £400 as I wanted a 4K HDR Tv for my PS4 Pro, but playing Fifa I noticed the image was darker with HDR On than Off no matter what settings I adjusted and was told this is because my Tv isn't 10bit panel for HDR its only 8bit? I thought HDR was supposed to detail more vibrant colours? So I need a tv that has a better peak brightness or something? I was told the best gaming Tv for my price range was the Samsung UE55NU8000 so I enquired at Argos for that Tv last week but its out of stock and not sure it will be coming back in due to it being last year's model, so I was sent here to enquire about the newer RU8000 instead? The Tv is currently £949 at Argos (I use Argos as their card is 0% interest) and I was just wondering if this is the best Samsung Tv (I wont buy any other make) for my needs for this price range? I will be using it to watch Sky Q, play PS4 Pro and watching movies via USB..

1. Is it worth upgrading to this Tv from my KU6000?

2. Will HDR be better on the RU8000 than my KU6000?
Lankz is offline  
post #27 of 32 Old 07-06-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankz View Post
1. Is it worth upgrading to this Tv from my KU6000?
Probably not. I haven't tried games on my RU8000 but I find this TV too dim in HDR mode. I don't care about HDR and I got this TV discounted for me so it doesn't bother me but it will probably bother you if you found your current TV too dim. You should look into a TV with a brighter panel and FALD if you want to enjoy HDR.
Diocletian is online now  
post #28 of 32 Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
reds75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 200
How is the 49 inch version of this tv for showing sports. I am concerned about trails or blurs with the 60htz refresh rate on the 49 inch version. Thanks for any info.
reds75 is online now  
post #29 of 32 Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
How is the 49 inch version of this tv for showing sports. I am concerned about trails or blurs with the 60htz refresh rate on the 49 inch version. Thanks for any info.
People love my RU8000 for sports but I have the 65 inch version. You should consider getting the 55 inch version if you want get the upgraded 120hz panel. Otherwise, go with a TV that has a 49 inch panel that is highly rated for sports, and is overall better rated than the RU8000, like the Sony X900F. If that's too expensive, you should go find a 49 inch RU8000 on display and see if the 60hz panel is good enough for sports, because I think most here got a 55 incher or bigger.
Diocletian is online now  
post #30 of 32 Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Probably not. I haven't tried games on my RU8000 but I find this TV too dim in HDR mode. I don't care about HDR and I got this TV discounted for me so it doesn't bother me but it will probably bother you if you found your current TV too dim. You should look into a TV with a brighter panel and FALD if you want to enjoy HDR.
Thank you for the reply, is it still worth upgrading from the KU6000 if I disregard HDR? As it looks like I'm not going to get good, bright HDR for under £1000 and I cant afford more than that for a Tv..

If only I had £3000 laying around for the Q90R, haha..
Lankz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off