Extended Warranties - Costco SquareTrade vs. Best Buy Geek Squad - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Which warranty would you choose?
SquareTrade via Costco - 4 Years @ $99 8 80.00%
Geek Squad via Best Buy - 5 Years @ $275 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Drewtato
  • 3 Post By dan webster
  • 1 Post By pilotart
  • 1 Post By thunderbird1100
  • 1 Post By Audioguy1

post #1 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Extended Warranties - Costco SquareTrade vs. Best Buy Geek Squad

Hi,

I purchased an open-box display model TV from Best Buy, and would like to purchase an extended warranty for the set. It currently has the one year manufacturer's warranty. Which option would you choose, and why?

Best Buy Geek Squad - 5 Total Years @ $275
SquareTrade via Costco - 4 Total Years @ $99

Seems like a no-brainer, but apparently the Geek Squad protection is better as it has less stringent requirements regarding dead pixels, and also covers more issues. From what I've found, the SquareTrade is pretty much just like a factory warranty.. but shouldn't that be sufficient?

I read conflicting information regarding SquareTrade covering open-box items, but I chatted with SquareTrade and they told me that they would cover it.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 05-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
If it's an OLED TV I would definitely get the GeekSquad warranty as they're the only ones that cover issues like burn-in. They'd also be the go-to for open box items considering they cover practically everything, which is why there is a premium. If you want to save money and it isn't an OLED, I'd maybe contact ST to get the specifics on what is covered on used products.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

It's an LCD, a Sony to be more specific.

SquareTrade treats it as new. It's the same warranty that anyone else would get if they purchased a SquareTrade warranty for their new TV.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Not even a contest imo costco.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 502
I suppose if you wanted to deal exclusively with BB that their warranty would be in order.

I purchased my 2014 TV (see sig below) through Amazon in late August 2014. In December, I bought the Square Trade 5 year from Costco online. After submitting the invoice, Square Trade eMailed that I was over their 90 day limit for purchase of their warranty. I printed this and went into Costco and got a refund.

Next TV (JS9000) also Amazon, I added Square Trade through Amazon (more costly than Costco). Also did same on Sine-Wave UPS and a garden tool.

Recently visited Square Trade online to check status and saw they still had that 2014 warranty in effect through August 2019 (along with the other warranties to their correct dates). Glad everything functions perfectly as I'm sure a claim would bring up their error.

You are no-doubt far better off in the long run just 'self-insuring' for any loss you can cover.
Art
Lp85253 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Costco, but it's only 3 years, not 4.

I just got a P Quantum from Costco and decided not to do it, just extended from 2 to 4 years using costco VISA instead. With ST it would have been 7 years.
pilotart likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked: 1649
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post

I just got a P Quantum from Costco and decided not to do it, just extended from 2 to 4 years using costco VISA instead. With ST it would have been 7 years.
7 yrs is basically "over insured" these days.. tech is outdated and needs replacing at least more often than 7 yrs...good call

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I voted Square, but, considering the environment of punishment(Dual subs that can rattle your teeth); may be wiser to go with the longer BB. BB Sounds expensive until you rattle a board loose or crack a solder joint with bass and your off to buy a new tv. Don't usually play too loud but once in a great while...you know.

Cheers
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Costco for sure, 100% flipping my 2015 LG 55” OLED for a 2019 C9 LG OLED. Would have replaced it a few months ago been holding out til the 2019 C9 with HDMI 2.1 were in stock.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate your thoughts. I still haven't pulled the trigger but have been considering another point lately that is pushing me even more toward the Best Buy option - the Best Buy warranty is transferable, anyone know about SquareTrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
You are no-doubt far better off in the long run just 'self-insuring' for any loss you can cover.
Do you really think so? I dunno, man. I haven't priced it out but I imagine the main board or panel of this Master Series set are pretty pricey, especially because there aren't as many used options since they don't sell nearly as many of these as the more common TV's such as X900, Q6/7/8, etc. $275 is a lot for a warranty, but I bet one repair would cost that much at least. And from what I see on this forum, these new sets seem to have issues fairly often. Maybe that's just the forum. If it wasn't a display model, or open box, I honestly doubt I'd even consider an extended warranty. But, I don't know whether or not someone may have bumped this set up against a wall, or the floor, a little harder than I'd like to imagine when they were setting it up or taking it down, etc. See what I'm getting at? The set looks great today, but I got a killer deal and feel that I should pad the life of the set with a bit of those increble savings. Even with the warranty's added cost, I'll still be out the door at a very low total price for the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
From what I read, the 3 years of SquareTrade coverage begin after the manufacturer's warranty ends, which is 1 year... so that's 4 years total. The Geek Squad warranty, however, runs concurrently with the manufacturer's warranty.

post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post

From what I read, the 3 years of SquareTrade coverage begin after the manufacturer's warranty ends, which is 1 year... so that's 4 years total. The Geek Squad warranty, however, runs concurrently with the manufacturer's warranty.
Everything I've always read was ST kicks in after whatever manufacturer/costco/costco cc warranty period ends.

So manufacturer = 1 year
Costco extends another year buying through them
Costco C.C. covers 2 more years on top of those 2 for 4 total
Then ST would kick in on 5th-7th years if you got all of the above, but I've never made a claim, so dont really know, just read what others have said.

You may be right, but wouldn't get why anyone would get the ST warranty if they have costco C.C. if they overlapped. At that point you'd be paying for 1 additional year through ST for $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page