2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #511 of 555 Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
My Apple TV works fine on input 1. I’d make sure you have a compliant hdmi cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I thought for about a second...but according the the Vizio rep, the problem on HDMI1 ARC was the fact that TOO MUCH data was coming thru from my AppleTV, which was sending 4k DolbyVision to it.

If it were a cable compliance issue, seems to me that NOT ENOUGH data would be getting through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 555 Old 12-02-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What is the current consensus regarding the use of the M437-G0 as a computer monitor? I'll also be using this screen for bedside movies, about 6-8 feet away, so it'll be used in a dark environment.

I purchased a Vizio V436-G1 on Black Friday and lost chroma 4:4:4 subsampling after the first firmware update. I'm concerned I'll run into the same issue with the M-series. I found a workaround for this on the V436-G1 by creating a custom resolution on my PC, but it's fairly frustrating as it doesn't stick when you change video modes (like for games and such), so I'm constantly toggling the correct settings back on in order to maintain crisp, legible text. The V-series screen also has a terrible screen-door like effect anytime I enter HDR mode on the PC. From everything I can gather, this is because the panel is 8-bit and uses dithering of some sort to create additional colors, essentially mimicking a 10-bit display. Does this sound right? If everything else about the M-series was dynamite I could probably live with the chroma issue until Vizio fixes it, if ever.

I'm told the panel on this (43" M-series) is VA (according to displayspecifications.com) and native 10-bit, so there's no dithering or subpixel funkiness going on when displaying HDR (I hope!)

Can anyone confirm whether this is a good candidate for my uses described above? Curious how ya'll's experience with this screen has been and if there were any glaring problems or issues with it. It sure seems like a lot of TV for the price, given that the closest in terms of quality that I can tell, is Samsung's Q60R, which AFAICT is about two bills more expensive. Any help/input/suggestions (even on other brands/models) would be GREATLY appreciated!
post #513 of 555 Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bluetooth music to speakers and sound bar simultaneously through TV?

Hi there. Newbie here.

I just got a Vizio M558-G1 which I have connected to a Vizio sb3621n sound bar via optical cable and to an old preamp/amp/speaker system via RCA jack outputs from the TV to the preamp.

When I play Amazon Prime videos the sound gets played simultaneously through my stereo system and my soundbar and sounds great.

But when I cast content from my Samsung S7 phone, such as HBO GO, or when I play music saved on my phone, and use a bluetooth connection to the TV, the sound only plays through the sound bar.

Is there a setting I can change to get the music or the movies sent from my phone to play through BOTH the sound bar and stereo system simultaneously, as it does when I play content directly from the TV?

Thanks in advance.

anitje
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This is for fun. I took a close up picture of my fractal (same as my avatar) on my m558 and 2012 Panasonic Plasma tc-p50u50

Click image for larger version

Name:	1202192351_HDR_1575358342724.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	2648686Click image for larger version

Name:	1202192346a_HDR_1575358357254.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2648688
post #515 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Recon View Post
Everything I have streamed looks good, I have been using the tv apps or 2016 roku premier plus.

Lmk how streaming on YT looks.
Thanks man. Was going to wait to switch to YouTube TV since our VUE subscription doesn't run out until Dec 23 but Youtube had a 3 week free trial so figured why not give it a whirl.(Only Kept VUE for this month to catch the Saturday games that are exclusive to NFL network) It seems like my TV didn't like VUE especially with Dolby Vision enabled as suggested by the Apple TV. YouTube TV however looks phenomenal both with Dolby Vision enabled and disabled, last nights MNF game was clear and crisp could read jersey names etc, checked a few other channels and they all looked fantastic too. YTV is the first service I've used (have had DTV now, and Vue) where I could check what the show was streaming in and football was only 720p according to YTV but it was way, way better then what I was getting on the VUE. There was no artifacts, graininess, motion issues or anything.

I do think I'm still going to switch my HDMI on my Apple TV still,we signed up for the cyber Monday deal of Disney + $60 for a year and whenever we go from watching a show back to the menu to choose another one the screen blinks black for a second or worst case scenario it goes black for about 15 seconds or so. It could also be though from switching between the 90's Hulk cartoon my son was watching to higher res dash of Disney +
post #516 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saludgrind View Post
option 1
Thank-U...I thought it was the way to go.
post #517 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwheels13 View Post
Quote:
Everything I have streamed looks good, I have been using the tv apps or 2016 roku premier plus.

Lmk how streaming on YT looks.
Thanks man. Was going to wait to switch to YouTube TV since our VUE subscription doesn't run out until Dec 23 but Youtube had a 3 week free trial so figured why not give it a whirl.(Only Kept VUE for this month to catch the Saturday games that are exclusive to NFL network) It seems like my TV didn't like VUE especially with Dolby Vision enabled as suggested by the Apple TV. YouTube TV however looks phenomenal both with Dolby Vision enabled and disabled, last nights MNF game was clear and crisp could read jersey names etc, checked a few other channels and they all looked fantastic too. YTV is the first service I've used (have had DTV now, and Vue) where I could check what the show was streaming in and football was only 720p according to YTV but it was way, way better then what I was getting on the VUE. There was no artifacts, graininess, motion issues or anything.

I do think I'm still going to switch my HDMI on my Apple TV still,we signed up for the cyber Monday deal of Disney + $60 for a year and whenever we go from watching a show back to the menu to choose another one the screen blinks black for a second or worst case scenario it goes black for about 15 seconds or so. It could also be though from switching between the 90's Hulk cartoon my son was watching to higher res dash of Disney +
I don't have any of those black screen delays, other than panel to panel inconsistency (maybe) I wonder if it has anything to do with extras enabled. I don't have any voice control, or feedback or any other thinga enabled that pop up in the initial setup process. I wonder if those running in the background are causing any lag for you.

Check out the LG chess demo on YT, that looks amazing. I dont have a 4k player so I haven't even seen the absolute best this display can do.
post #518 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I don't have any of those black screen delays, other than panel to panel inconsistency (maybe) I wonder if it has anything to do with extras enabled. I don't have any voice control, or feedback or any other thinga enabled that pop up in the initial setup process. I wonder if those running in the background are causing any lag for you.

Check out the LG chess demo on YT, that looks amazing. I dont have a 4k player so I haven't even seen the absolute best this display can do.
I will definitely have to look into that and see if anything is running in the background, thanks for the suggestions! Cool I will check out the chess demo. Wow wait until you get a 4k player you will be super pleased then!
post #519 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 AM

Quick question, are the test patterns greyed out/unavailable for you all as well?

This is annoying to me, I dont want to calibrate to YT videos nor through my mac which has color profiles that cannot be turned off.

Whoa I just looked and they are available now for once. That is so odd.

Last edited by Ghost Recon; 12-03-2019 at 08:59 AM.
post #520 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Whoa I dont know if we got an update but full uhd color is back up too! I'll be curious how the old regular bluray player looks now that it can run 4:4:4
post #521 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can't cast from Windows 10 computer

Hi.

I just received an M558-G1. Almost everything works well, including playing HBO-GO content through my Android phone.

But when I try the "cast" link in Google Chrome on my Windows 10 computer it does not recognize the TV and nothing happens.

Is there a setting I need to adjust, or is there any other fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

-Anitje
post #522 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerj View Post
What is the current consensus regarding the use of the M437-G0 as a computer monitor? I'll also be using this screen for bedside movies, about 6-8 feet away, so it'll be used in a dark environment.

I purchased a Vizio V436-G1 on Black Friday and lost chroma 4:4:4 subsampling after the first firmware update. I'm concerned I'll run into the same issue with the M-series. I found a workaround for this on the V436-G1 by creating a custom resolution on my PC, but it's fairly frustrating as it doesn't stick when you change video modes (like for games and such), so I'm constantly toggling the correct settings back on in order to maintain crisp, legible text. The V-series screen also has a terrible screen-door like effect anytime I enter HDR mode on the PC. From everything I can gather, this is because the panel is 8-bit and uses dithering of some sort to create additional colors, essentially mimicking a 10-bit display. Does this sound right? If everything else about the M-series was dynamite I could probably live with the chroma issue until Vizio fixes it, if ever.

I'm told the panel on this (43" M-series) is VA (according to displayspecifications.com) and native 10-bit, so there's no dithering or subpixel funkiness going on when displaying HDR (I hope!)

Can anyone confirm whether this is a good candidate for my uses described above? Curious how ya'll's experience with this screen has been and if there were any glaring problems or issues with it. It sure seems like a lot of TV for the price, given that the closest in terms of quality that I can tell, is Samsung's Q60R, which AFAICT is about two bills more expensive. Any help/input/suggestions (even on other brands/models) would be GREATLY appreciated!

Computer monitor is the use case for my M437. Under Windows 10 and using an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti card, the best I've been able to get is 4:2:2 using an active displayport to HDMI adapter. Most of the time, websites and docs look fine. Occasionally, a website's smaller black text will have chroma errors (red shadow on one side of letters). Seems to be website specific, sadly Google's suite shows it. <shrug> Not sure any other TV would be better unless it has Displayport or HDMI 2.1.

Where I keep all of my other posts:
Silent PC Review
post #523 of 555 Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 PM

I went ahead and purchased the M437 in order to take advantage of the holiday sale which expired today.

So far, I love it! Picture quality is outstanding, nice and bright, so far so good for computer use. Has a native 10-bit panel so there's no dithering when enabling HDR. The V-series I bought before this (that I'm now returning) had terrible screen-door/crosshatch effect when HDR was enabled.

I did go ahead and update the firmware on the M437 and lost the 4:4:4 menu option in the process. I used the workaround I described above (creating custom resolution) which worked great and displays fine at RGB 4:4:4 @ 4k 60hz. Text is crisp, overall the display is better than any computer monitor I've ever used. The custom resolution seems to be holding even when changing back and forth between resolutions, seems the AMD control panel memorizes it for the 4k 60hz setting.

FWIW, I'm using high speed HDMI cable between my AMD Vega 64 GPU and the M437. That card has HDMI 2.0b support, that's definitely the way to go rather than a DP to HDMI adapter-- I think the GTX 1050Ti is HDMI 2.0 compatible? Also, I'm fairly certain NVidia also has an option for custom resolution [CVT-reduced blanking], which should enable RGB 4:4:4 if you so choose.

I'll report back if I encounter any trouble, but so far this display is a dream and a HUGE improvement over the V436-G1's picture quality. Colors are nice and vivid, which were quite subdued and underwhelming on the V-series.
post #524 of 555 Old 12-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Can someone with a 65" M measure something for me? I need to know the distance from the upper VESA hole to the bottom of the bezel.

I have a 55" panel mounted above a mantel now and need to see if I have room for this set (being delivered Friday) or if I need to have the mount moved up. I currently have 5-6" of space below the 55" before I hit the mantel.

Thanks!!
post #525 of 555 Old 12-04-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Bowe View Post
Can someone with a 65" M measure something for me? I need to know the distance from the upper VESA hole to the bottom of the bezel.

I have a 55" panel mounted above a mantel now and need to see if I have room for this set (being delivered Friday) or if I need to have the mount moved up. I currently have 5-6" of space below the 55" before I hit the mantel.

Thanks!!
I reached behind, looks like 19".

I have a 2 yr old 65" M as well and it's 24" so they have different sizes for diff years!
post #526 of 555 Old 12-04-2019, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by msloane View Post
That's what I thought for about a second...but according the the Vizio rep, the problem on HDMI1 ARC was the fact that TOO MUCH data was coming thru from my AppleTV, which was sending 4k DolbyVision to it.

If it were a cable compliance issue, seems to me that NOT ENOUGH data would be getting through.

I would be under the impression that too much data is going to the cable and it can’t handle it so it’s losing data in the transfer. It’s just a guess but as I stated mine works fine on that input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #527 of 555 Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Having a very annoying issue with my M558-G1. While watching Hulu Live or PS Vue the TV keeps blacking out and then the video will pop back up but will be frozen. I have to hit the play button to get the live stream playing again. I am using new Amazon Basic HDMI cables. Very annoying. Anyone having a similar issue?
post #528 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
I reached behind, looks like 19".

I have a 2 yr old 65" M as well and it's 24" so they have different sizes for diff years!
Thanks. I'm assuming 19" is a 2019 model(?). My M will be here tomorrow so I'll know soon enough if it will need adjusted but I can at least measure the existing mount height tonight.

Thanks again!
post #529 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Bowe View Post
Thanks. I'm assuming 19" is a 2019 model(?). My M will be here tomorrow so I'll know soon enough if it will need adjusted but I can at least measure the existing mount height tonight.

Thanks again!
Yes, 19" is the 2019 Model.
post #530 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dolby Vision over HDMI not working on Vizio M558-G1?

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and I can only get HDR10 to work when connecting via HDMI to the TV. I’ve tried connecting directly to all the HDMI ports and multiple new high speed 18 Gpbs HDMI cables. I still cannot get Dolby Vision to work over HDMI. It does not show as a supported picture output to the TV within the Shield settings. Dolby Vision does work casting Netflix to the TV from my phone. Is this a limitation of the TV’s HDMI ports or do I need to try one of the 8K 48 Gpbs cables to get it to work? RTINGs does say it supports Dolby Vision on all HDMI inputs but I'm having no luck.

Has anyone been able to get DV to work on the M series over HDMI? I just want verification before I buy yet another HDMI cable.
post #531 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a new Nvidia Shield TV Pro and I can only get HDR10 to work when connecting via HDMI to the TV. I’ve tried connecting directly to all the HDMI ports and multiple new high speed 18 Gpbs HDMI cables. I still cannot get Dolby Vision to work over HDMI. It does not show as a supported picture output to the TV within the Shield settings. Dolby Vision does work casting Netflix to the TV from my phone. Is this a limitation of the TV’s HDMI ports or do I need to try one of the 8K 48 Gpbs cables to get it to work? RTINGs does say it supports Dolby Vision on all HDMI inputs but I'm having no luck.

Has anyone been able to get DV to work on the M series over HDMI? I just want verification before I buy yet another HDMI cable.
Make sure you enable high-bandwidth in your tv's hdmi ports.
post #532 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
Make sure you enable high-bandwidth in your tv's hdmi ports.
Where is that setting? I'm not in front of my TV, but I think I remember only seeing enable UHD color for the inputs in the input settings.
post #533 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Where is that setting? I'm not in front of my TV, but I think I remember only seeing enable UHD color for the inputs in the input settings.
That's the setting. It's called something different on almost every brand, and I couldn't remember what Vizio calls it. Make sure UHD color is enabled.
post #534 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
That's the setting. It's called something different on almost every brand, and I couldn't remember what Vizio calls it. Make sure UHD color is enabled.
It is already enabled. =/ I get HDR10 but not DV. Are others getting Dolby Vision over HDMI? Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by BaeckerX1; 12-05-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #535 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It is already enabled. =/ I get HDR10 but not DV. Are others getting Dolby Vision over HDMI? Can anyone confirm?
You might get more traction if you also ask this over in the Shield owners thread.
post #536 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You might get more traction if you also ask this over in the Shield owners thread.
I might try that. I'm more just trying to get confirmation that others have indeed gotten Dolby Vision over HDMI on the Vizio M series regardless of the input device. I've tried several HDMI cables and want to make sure the ports are even supporting it correctly before I try to buy another one.
post #537 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I might try that. I'm more just trying to get confirmation that others have indeed gotten Dolby Vision over HDMI on the Vizio M series regardless of the input device. I've tried several HDMI cables and want to make sure the ports are even supporting it correctly before I try to buy another one.
I've gotten DV to work in my V-series over HDMI with no problems, so I imagine the much better M series should have no real problems, either.
post #538 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Quote:
pretty sure it's a vizio thing. I have the same issue with a fire tv cube 2nd gen. I did try a 48 GB cable and it didn't fix it.
post #539 of 555 Old 12-05-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Rtings released there review of the M7. Looks like it's only marginally dimmer. Really the only difference is the dimming zones. Which are set up apparently in two rows of vertical and 8 rows of horizontal. That explains the clouding I saw across the entire screen on my M7 when there was a bright object in the middle of the screen.

The gray uniformity is much better with the 7. Rtings proves this and my experience with a 7 and 8 prove this as well. Must be the dimming zones or something.

Honestly, with the native contrast being so pretty darn good at 6,000 to one I probably should have just turned local dimming off and kept the M7 since the gray uniformity is such a nagging thing in my brain.

I don't mind if something doesn't work as good as long as it works correctly. I'd almost rather have that than something that works a little better but with a flaw.

Last edited by mike171979; 12-05-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #540 of 555 Old 12-06-2019, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Well I own Vizio E and new Vizio M series and Dolby Vision works fine on both using Apple TV or Firestick 4K so must be a shield thing.
BaeckerX1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays