2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #721 of 768 Old 01-09-2020, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Every instrumented review has been pretty clear that Calibrated/Calibrated Dark is the most accurate picture mode, with color space set to 'Normal', so that's what I run.

I'm coming from a 10 year old Panasonic plasma that had much less accurate colors and white balance, so this looks very good to me.

I've been used to a D6500 white point for years now, so anything set to Vivid or Standard that uses the typically cooler white points of those modes looks terribly blue/purple to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 768 Old 01-09-2020, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I always use calibrated in the living room and calibrated dark for SDR and calibrated for HDR in the bedroom. I even tried adjusting my sets to what Ratings used for white balance which seamed to make things a little blueish to me also. I reset the white balance to factory defaults and thought the picture was much better myself.
post #723 of 768 Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzetta View Post
I've seen people criticize Vivid, but I feel it's the best setting for animation/cartoony games.

I feel Dark is a bit too dark too even for film/TV, but Vivid feels too bright for that. I might need to experiment Standard/calibrated.

What do you guys think?

I can understand why you think so. I disagree that it looks the best.

The vivid setting is overly bright and highly saturated. It’s what you think you want to see because of how everything pops. What you’re not getting is how everything is lacking contrast and subtlety. The art style will determine how different it can be. Once you’re used to seeing a calibrated display you’ll see the differences. That’s bot saying you’ll like it just that you can see it. The biggest issue right now is that Calibrating SDR, HDR and DV are all different settings and most places you go don’t do HDR or DV calibration. Finding a top end shop that will can almost set you back the price of these sets.

It has been proven that vivid on most sets will cause eye fatigue and headaches since the light changing is so dramatic. Make sure you have some light to offset dramatic light changes in your room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 768 Old 01-10-2020, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
I can understand why you think so. I disagree that it looks the best.

The vivid setting is overly bright and highly saturated. It’s what you think you want to see because of how everything pops. What you’re not getting is how everything is lacking contrast and subtlety. The art style will determine how different it can be. Once you’re used to seeing a calibrated display you’ll see the differences. That’s bot saying you’ll like it just that you can see it. The biggest issue right now is that Calibrating SDR, HDR and DV are all different settings and most places you go don’t do HDR or DV calibration. Finding a top end shop that will can almost set you back the price of these sets.

It has been proven that vivid on most sets will cause eye fatigue and headaches since the light changing is so dramatic. Make sure you have some light to offset dramatic light changes in your room.

Finally got my X-rite color calibrator and got around to calibrating both my old 43" Vizio E 2018 and 43" Vizio M and also thought Vivid was ok but looks terrible now compared to accurately calibrated TV. I know people and rtings themselves say not to use their color calibration values but actually pretty close to what my X-rite gave me for my TV. Rtings should give you bit better than default calibrated dark but still appears a bit washed out compared to calibrating TV to DPI3 or Rec2020 which really make the colors come out on the new Vizio M and make the older Vizio E look washed out.
post #725 of 768 Old 01-10-2020, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviangel View Post
Finally got my X-rite color calibrator and got around to calibrating both my old 43" Vizio E 2018 and 43" Vizio M and also thought Vivid was ok but looks terrible now compared to accurately calibrated TV. I know people and rtings themselves say not to use their color calibration values but actually pretty close to what my X-rite gave me for my TV. Rtings should give you bit better than default calibrated dark but still appears a bit washed out compared to calibrating TV to DPI3 or Rec2020 which really make the colors come out on the new Vizio M and make the older Vizio E look washed out.
I never worried about calibrating color until I bought my 2019 43" Vizio M. I think my particular TV is an anomaly, with colors being way off in any mode right out of the box. I cycled through Normal, Vivid, Calibrated, etc and tried color modes Normal, Cool, Computer on each. Everything was at factory settings but skin tones were off, especially in HDR10. Avengers Infinity War 4K had strange orange blotches that looked like badly applied makeup and it persisted through every permutation. The only way to get rid of it was to de-saturate the color until it was gone. Not what I wanted with my new qled color TV! I posted earlier in this thread how I fixed this, but I have changed my procedure somewhat.

I started with factory settings, then adjusted the backlight to 100 (my room is bright) and made sure color was at 50 (even for Vivid). Then using color calibration videos I compared how it looked on my TV to how it looked on my phone. My phone is a galaxy s9 plus with the screen set to basic, which is supposedly almost perfectly color accurate. I went though each combination (SDR and HDR) and tried to adjust the colors to match the phone. I would actually hold the phone directly up to the screen for each color. Surprisingly, the combo that was closest and required the least adjusting was Vivid (with color at 50) using the Cool color mode. Eye-balling the colors this way has its drawbacks. It's easy to match the hue and brightness, but not necessarily the saturation. So, after putting the colors where I thought they should be, I went to the smpte color bars for red, green and blue and adjusted the saturation to make sure all the vertical bars were distinct. Finally, I tweaked the colors by watching the same content on the phone and TV and making some minute adjustments. Doing that, the biggest change I had to make was to the red.

I guess I also went in to the 11-point white calibration and turned the blue down a bit to try to bring the cool color mode closer to neutral. It was a lot of effort to tweak this TV, but I didn't do everything at once. I took my time, did it over a few days. The end result is fantastic and exactly what I expected from a qled TV. If there is a moral to this story, it's that every TV is different and what works for someone else may not work for you. I could have used Calibrated or Calibrated Dark and Normal color and adjusted things from there, but I would have missed out on the spectacular picture I have now. Maybe an actual color calibrator would have completely different settings, but I bet I'm pretty close.
daviangel likes this.
post #726 of 768 Old 01-11-2020, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabt View Post
I don't know about everyone else here, but I've never connected my TV to the internet. One less company to spy on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunderedShirt View Post
I only set it up so that I can use chromecast, I opted out of the data collection settings and I'll never use smartcast.
Does opting out really mean opting out? They got hit with a fine for spying. This article says that in 2017, Vizio was spying on people who opted out.
Vizio recently got in trouble for collecting data on TV customers who opted out
post #727 of 768 Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
Quote:
Does opting out really mean opting out? They got hit with a fine for spying. This article says that in 2017, Vizio was spying on people who opted out.
Do you use the internet for anything? On any device? If yes, sorry to tell you but you're being spied on.
SaskCanesFan likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #728 of 768 Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Quote:
Do you use the internet for anything? On any device? If yes, sorry to tell you but you're being spied on.
Which is why I wrote "One less company to spy on me." I also use a VPN. You don't?
post #729 of 768 Old 01-11-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked: 2220
Quote:
Which is why I wrote "One less company to spy on me." I also use a VPN. You don't?
I hope you don't think a VPN keeps you safe. And I hope it's not NordVPN.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #730 of 768 Old 01-12-2020, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just picked up an M437 and I'm looking at bias lighting LED strips. The USB port on the M437 is USB 2.0, but all the LED strips I can find draw power at the USB 3.0 spec. Can anyone suggest a budget USB bias lighting setup that won't overload the USB port on the M437? Thanks!

PS - I've attached an image of the backlight bleed / uniformity on my M437. I'm assuming this is acceptable / within spec, but I just wanted to get opinions on the matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	2669018  
post #731 of 768 Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nversed View Post
Just picked up an M437 and I'm looking at bias lighting LED strips. The USB port on the M437 is USB 2.0, but all the LED strips I can find draw power at the USB 3.0 spec. Can anyone suggest a budget USB bias lighting setup that won't overload the USB port on the M437? Thanks!

PS - I've attached an image of the backlight bleed / uniformity on my M437. I'm assuming this is acceptable / within spec, but I just wanted to get opinions on the matter.

You won’t overload the USB port. It may just not power on or may act differently than designed. USB 2.0 can do .5v so just look at the power draw. With that said I just ordered some govee light strips to compare to my hue strips. They’re half the cost so we’ll see how good they compare.

post #732 of 768 Old 01-13-2020, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
You won’t overload the USB port. It may just not power on or may act differently than designed. USB 2.0 can do .5v so just look at the power draw. With that said I just ordered some govee light strips to compare to my hue strips. They’re half the cost so we’ll see how good they compare.

USB 2.0 can do 5v at 0.5a. Looks like only the P series has USB 3.0 (0.9a). I guess I'll have to use a power brick. I can't believe anything still comes with USB 2.0 in 2019, yikes.
post #733 of 768 Old 01-13-2020, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone know what the recent 91/12/220) vizio tv firmware and smartcast did? When I saw the tv do a three part system update and a smartcast update I was sure they had finally got around to adding Disney+, but they didn't. If they didn't add Disney+, which is probably the most asked about update feature, what did all this updating do? I am looking for a change log but can't find one on the company site.
post #734 of 768 Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 PM

The firmware update date is supposed to read (1/12/2020).
post #735 of 768 Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianappj View Post
The firmware update date is supposed to read (1/12/2020).
What tv, what firmware version are you talking about? You can look under system - system information for the firmware version and to see if it has the updated chromecast firmware . Vizio is notorious for not posting release notes on its firmware.
post #736 of 768 Old 01-15-2020, 11:28 AM

The TV is the M658-G1. I can look up the exact firmware version later but it was just pushed to the tv within a 3 day window about a week ago. As I said it had three parts for the tv and an additional smartcast update. My annoyance is why isn't Disney+ in this update and what else did they waste their time on if not this? I know there are other ways to get disney to stream to the tv but I don't know of any that can do it in 4K HDR without using the built in app. I don't have other boxes that can send out 4K.
post #737 of 768 Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The TV is the M658-G1. I can look up the exact firmware version later but it was just pushed to the tv within a 3 day window about a week ago. As I said it had three parts for the tv and an additional smartcast update. My annoyance is why isn't Disney+ in this update and what else did they waste their time on if not this? I know there are other ways to get disney to stream to the tv but I don't know of any that can do it in 4K HDR without using the built in app. I don't have other boxes that can send out 4K.

You can Airplay Disney+ from an Apple device (I used an iPhone) and it’s in 4K DV. I have the same TV and successfully did this.

post #738 of 768 Old 01-15-2020, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I am pretty sure u can get a 4k firestick for 30$. It will def be a improvement over smartcast and will stream Dolby Vision, HDR 10+, and HLG
post #739 of 768 Old 01-15-2020, 06:24 PM

Liked: 13
I recently got an M658, 65", and a Denon AVR S750 and I'm driving myself crazy with them. I cannot get the audio to sync at all. I thought it was the receiver and I spent so long with the delay settings on the different inputs, but could never get it to line up. I turned off the ARC channel, because that seems to send audio to the TV and then back to the receiver even though I have stuff plugged directly into the receiver. I've messed with the delay settings on the TV itself and done a couple of factory resets.

Other troubleshooting steps included playing the TV apps without the receiver, turning off any video processing, and plugging the PS3 and blu-ray player directly in to the TV. Nothing has helped.

I also had the power issue of it randomly turning on, but changing the eco-quickstart setting, as someone else suggested, fixed that. On the upside, the picture looks great.

Has anyone else had audio sync issues like this?
post #740 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehane View Post
I recently got an M658, 65", and a Denon AVR S750 and I'm driving myself crazy with them. I cannot get the audio to sync at all. I thought it was the receiver and I spent so long with the delay settings on the different inputs, but could never get it to line up. I turned off the ARC channel, because that seems to send audio to the TV and then back to the receiver even though I have stuff plugged directly into the receiver. I've messed with the delay settings on the TV itself and done a couple of factory resets.

Other troubleshooting steps included playing the TV apps without the receiver, turning off any video processing, and plugging the PS3 and blu-ray player directly in to the TV. Nothing has helped.

I also had the power issue of it randomly turning on, but changing the eco-quickstart setting, as someone else suggested, fixed that. On the upside, the picture looks great.

I just got the same TV yesterday and am also using a Denon AVR (S920W) and I noticed some lip syncing issues as well. It's not so bad that it's really annoying, but it's noticeable enough that you can see it. I haven't tried going through everything you have yet, but am anxious to see if anyone else had the issue and figured out how to address it.

Steve
post #741 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I'd suggest at least trying to plug the sources into the TV, and use ARC to the receiver for your sound. I have no lip sync issues with mine and have it set up that way. Without the audio going through the TV, it's unlikely the delay settings in the TV are going to have any effect whatsoever, since your audio signal is literally bypassing the TV right now. If the AVR delay settings aren't cutting it, you're going to have to try something else.

One of the factors that tipped me over to this Vizio M over the TCL 6 were reports of audio delay on the TCL when using surround sound, so I definitely would not have been a happy camper if I couldn't get the Vizio to work right on this.
post #742 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
I'd suggest at least trying to plug the sources into the TV, and use ARC to the receiver for your sound. I have no lip sync issues with mine and have it set up that way. Without the audio going through the TV, it's unlikely the delay settings in the TV are going to have any effect whatsoever, since your audio signal is literally bypassing the TV right now. If the AVR delay settings aren't cutting it, you're going to have to try something else.

One of the factors that tipped me over to this Vizio M over the TCL 6 were reports of audio delay on the TCL when using surround sound, so I definitely would not have been a happy camper if I couldn't get the Vizio to work right on this.

The limitation to using your method (sound via ARC) is that ARC is limited to Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital + (and I think DTS), but there's no way to do any kind of advanced digitial sound (like Dolby Atmos), so if your device supports that, it won't pass it. eARC, which is the new version of ARC, does support that, but the TV doesn't have eARC. Those of us with and AVR who want to use advanced sound would want to run everything through the AVR first.

Steve
post #743 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 09:37 AM

It is correct that you're limited to DD(+)/DTS, and lose the lossless formats through ARC. Luckily, the 'best' format you'll get through any streaming service is DD+, and it's version of (lossy) Atmos, which the TV will pass. How many sources capable of lossless audio above that do you have? I do have my disc player running directly into my AVR for the lossless audio, and haven't noticed a dramatically different audio delay.

In any case, it might be worth sacrificing the lossless formats, at least temporarily, just to troubleshoot your issue.
post #744 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I also had the power issue of it randomly turning on, but changing the eco-quickstart setting, as someone else suggested, fixed that. On the upside, the picture looks great. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Yes, I have a lip sync issue that I haven't solved yet. I'm using a Yamaha AVR and the issue shows up with both optical and HDMI ARC. Verified it's there with CATV, but still need to try streaming. LMK if you solve it. I think the audio has to much delay (and I have not increased the setting from 0 in the settings). Sync is way better than the HF8 that I just returned, but I expect better than this too.

Even worse, the audio has"glitches" where the sounds cute out for less than a second every so often. Don't think this is the antenna signal, but will verify that too. I can see on my AVR display that the audio signal is lost momentarily. Picture is completely unaffected. Anyone seen this problem?
post #745 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenEye View Post
Yes, I have a lip sync issue that I haven't solved yet. I'm using a Yamaha AVR and the issue shows up with both optical and HDMI ARC. Verified it's there with CATV, but still need to try streaming. LMK if you solve it. I think the audio has to much delay (and I have not increased the setting from 0 in the settings). Sync is way better than the HF8 that I just returned, but I expect better than this too.

Even worse, the audio has"glitches" where the sounds cute out for less than a second every so often. Don't think this is the antenna signal, but will verify that too. I can see on my AVR display that the audio signal is lost momentarily. Picture is completely unaffected. Anyone seen this problem?
I had a lip sync issue a while back that I fixed by setting the audio output to bitstream, for whatever reason left on auto gave me the problem.
post #746 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hwell View Post
I had a lip sync issue a while back that I fixed by setting the audio output to bitstream, for whatever reason left on auto gave me the problem.

Any downside to setting the output to bitstream rather than auto?

Steve
post #747 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
Any downside to setting the output to bitstream rather than auto?
None that I have seen yet. Mines been set to bitstream for quite a while now .
post #748 of 768 Old 01-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
I just got the same TV yesterday and am also using a Denon AVR (S920W) and I noticed some lip syncing issues as well. It's not so bad that it's really annoying, but it's noticeable enough that you can see it. I haven't tried going through everything you have yet, but am anxious to see if anyone else had the issue and figured out how to address it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenEye View Post

Quote:

I haven't had any other issues with the TV other than the sync. I've got everything run to the TV and completely left the receiver out, tried different inputs, different HDMI cables, changing the sound outputs, etc. It's weird, I got the TV near the end of December, and it just recently started doing this. I went to the store to talk to them about it and they are going to exchange it this weekend. I hope the new one is better and still has a good picture!
BrokenEye likes this.
post #749 of 768 Old 01-17-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:

I tried setting it to bitstream and it didn't really help. Nor did any of the other settings for audio output. I did change lip syncing option from 0 to 1 and this seemed to help a little. I'll play around with it a bit more over the weekend.

The TV picture is just beautiful for most things, but anything less than 1080P looks just a bit soft. I'm still tweaking, but I'm VERY impressed.

Steve
post #750 of 768 Old 01-18-2020, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I’m kinda bummed that this TV doesn’t have eARC. I didn’t even think about that when looking at TV’s. I didn’t expect audio sync issues either. Picture is great though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page