2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #751 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post

The TV picture is just beautiful for most things, but anything less than 1080P looks just a bit soft. I'm still tweaking, but I'm VERY impressed.

This is a common complaint of just about every review for this tv and it gave me concern but I thought I would try it anyway. After getting setup I realized that I don't have any 720p sources, and I doubt many people do either. Comcast cable has an option for 1080p out, the PS4 and standalone blu ray player output 1080p (even on normal dvds). Most broadcast tv shows are probably 720 but the cable box does the upscaleing. The blu ray player and a PS4 also do the upscaling of standard dvds before outputting the signal. About the only way I think a person could even get a 720P is if they had a dvd only player, and even then I bet it upscales over HDMI. When pressing the info button I found out everything comes out at 1080P unless I force an option on the sources.
What is left that does not output 1080 today anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianappj View Post
This is a common complaint of just about every review for this tv and it gave me concern but I thought I would try it anyway. After getting setup I realized that I don't have any 720p sources, and I doubt many people do either. Comcast cable has an option for 1080p out, the PS4 and standalone blu ray player output 1080p (even on normal dvds). Most broadcast tv shows are probably 720 but the cable box does the upscaleing. The blu ray player and a PS4 also do the upscaling of standard dvds before outputting the signal. About the only way I think a person could even get a 720P is if they had a dvd only player, and even then I bet it upscales over HDMI. When pressing the info button I found out everything comes out at 1080P unless I force an option on the sources.
What is left that does not output 1080 today anyway?
OTA. 480i on a lot of the sub-channels and 1080i or 720p on the big networks. But it doesn't look too bad. A little on the soft side and more pronounced on the 480i stuff.
post #753 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just picked up an M507-G1 from Best Buy. Using my XBOX ONE X, I'm getting an extremely dull picture. I've set the input to Full Color UHD, etc. It is replacing a TCL S-Series, and to me the TCL just had so much more punch. I don't understand what the issue can be.
hjames19 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiannight View Post
I just picked up an M507-G1 from Best Buy. Using my XBOX ONE X, I'm getting an extremely dull picture. I've set the input to Full Color UHD, etc. It is replacing a TCL S-Series, and to me the TCL just had so much more punch. I don't understand what the issue can be.

It could be your hdmi cable. I had to purchase a new one for my Xbox One X. I’m no pro so this may not even be it.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. My hdmi cable didn’t fix my issue like I thought. Disregard my comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by hjames19; 01-20-2020 at 04:28 AM.
post #755 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames19 View Post
It could be your hdmi cable. I had to purchase a new one for my Xbox One X. I’m no pro so this may not even be it.

Interesting. I'm using the one that came with it, which I assume support HDMI 2.0.

I'm finding the only way I can get a non-washed out picture is to use the black detail settings. This on BOTH XBOX ONE X and PS4.
post #756 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 07:03 PM

Also, the native apps, like VUDU and Netflix look great!
post #757 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 07:36 PM

How do you know if you have a bad HDMI port?
I was having the same issues you would have with a bad hdmi cable. I replaced it with the Monoprice premium certified cable. This seemed to fix the issue until I watched a DV show on Netflix and Disney + through my Xbox One X. Trying to decide if I should exchange my TV. Of course I’m out of Best Buy exchange period now so I’ll have to contact Vizio.

My games play in HDR10 with no issues.

post #758 of 850 Old 01-19-2020, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
sound cutting out

Just got the M658-G1 on a couple days ago. Only issue I am having is every few minutes the sound cuts out for about 1 second. Doesn't affect picture at all. I have a Samsung soundboard connected with the HDMI Arc and have the sound set to Dolby. Anyone else having similar problem or had similar problem and corrected it? Any thoughts on how to correct?
post #759 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
OTA. 480i on a lot of the sub-channels and 1080i or 720p on the big networks. But it doesn't look too bad. A little on the soft side and more pronounced on the 480i stuff.
Yeah I use the OTA all the time and noticed it really depends on the quality of the original source was recorded or remastered at it seems. At least on my 43" at normal viewing distance i.e. 4 feet some 480i OTA material can look as good as some of the 720 or even 1080i stuff broadcast. Like I mentioned before here and confirmed by closely viewing larger TV's including OLED at BB pixels easy to see on the larger screens due to DPI of screen so complains about poor upscaling is most likely by people with larger screens with lower DPI.
post #760 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Interesting. I'm using the one that came with it, which I assume support HDMI 2.0.

I'm finding the only way I can get a non-washed out picture is to use the black detail settings. This on BOTH XBOX ONE X and PS4.
A different HDMI cable won't change the picture, that's not possible. If you're getting dropouts then a higher bandwidth cable will fix that, but the picture will be the same.

Might be that the black level settings aren't matched up between your TV and console, that would do it. What picture mode is the TV on and what is the black level of TV and console set to?

TV: 65" LG E6 OLED
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H
Speakers: Polk RTiA5 fronts, CSiA6 centre, RTiA1 surrounds
Sub: SVS PB-3000
Sony UBP-X800, Xbox One X
post #761 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCanesFan View Post
Quote:

A different HDMI cable won't change the picture, that's not possible. If you're getting dropouts then a higher bandwidth cable will fix that, but the picture will be the same.

Might be that the black level settings aren't matched up between your TV and console, that would do it. What picture mode is the TV on and what is the black level of TV and console set to?
Is there settings for black levels in XBX and PS4 when outputting 4K? I didnt think so.
post #762 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Is there settings for black levels in XBX and PS4 when outputting 4K? I didnt think so.
I would think there still is for SDR, but I could be wrong on that. I'll have to double check mine when I get home.

TV: 65" LG E6 OLED
Receiver: Denon AVR-X3600H
Speakers: Polk RTiA5 fronts, CSiA6 centre, RTiA1 surrounds
Sub: SVS PB-3000
Sony UBP-X800, Xbox One X
post #763 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabt View Post
Which is why I wrote "One less company to spy on me." I also use a VPN. You don't?
I hope you don't think a VPN keeps you safe. And I hope it's not NordVPN.
Safe? What are you talking about?
post #764 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 PM

I am having three concerns with a new, one month old, 2019 vizio tv model M658-G1. I would like to know, how common these problems are, what is the cause, and if there is an easy fix such as reseating an internal connector.

The problems are --

#1- The TV has power cycled, turned off and right back on, itself 4 times.

This has happened at totally random times when I was no where near the remote. It would just power off and come right back on like someone has pressed the power button two times.

#2 - There is a vertical band about 4 inches wide from the top all the way to the bottom that is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.

You can't see it when there is a full screen picture. During letterbox movies in the black borders you can just barely see it about %20 of the time. You can also see it on a primarily black screen with some letters on the screen, like in credits. It is not noticeable all of the time but depending on the content on the rest of the screen you can notice it on the black parts about %20 of the time.

#3 - Once I saw a horizontal line of static about the width of a piece of string from about the middle of the screen to the right edge about half way down from the top. After about 30 seconds it started to move slowly down and when it went off the bottom it has not come back. Of the three this one is unacceptable and if it comes back will require fixing.

Talking to tech support they gave me the first round troubleshooting answer of, do a hard power cycle. He also said to put a menu up on the screen if the horizontal line of static comes back to determine if it is the tv or source. The problem with that is the line did not go far enough to the left, it stopped about at the middle, to see if it would be over the menu. I have never seen this with cable tv or the dvr so I doubt it was from the source. There is a first time for everything but 10+ years of cable service never seeing it and three weeks after a new tv it shows up makes me think it is the tv.

If you have had or heard about these problems and know the cause and corrective action I would appreciate it. If the power cycle doesn't clear these problems I will be very annoyed they appeared on a three week old tv. I can say right now that the slightly brighter vertical band didn't go away. I guess I can live with it but I am not happy to have it there at all on a new tv.
post #765 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 2301
Quote:
I am having three concerns with a new, one month old, 2019 vizio tv model M658-G1.

*SNIPPED*

Where did you buy it? I'd take it back and just replace it.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #766 of 850 Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
I am having three concerns with a new, one month old, 2019 vizio tv model M658-G1. I would like to know, how common these problems are, what is the cause, and if there is an easy fix such as reseating an internal connector.

The problems are --

#1- The TV has power cycled, turned off and right back on, itself 4 times.

This has happened at totally random times when I was no where near the remote. It would just power off and come right back on like someone has pressed the power button two times.

#2 - There is a vertical band about 4 inches wide from the top all the way to the bottom that is slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.

You can't see it when there is a full screen picture. During letterbox movies in the black borders you can just barely see it about %20 of the time. You can also see it on a primarily black screen with some letters on the screen, like in credits. It is not noticeable all of the time but depending on the content on the rest of the screen you can notice it on the black parts about %20 of the time.

#3 - Once I saw a horizontal line of static about the width of a piece of string from about the middle of the screen to the right edge about half way down from the top. After about 30 seconds it started to move slowly down and when it went off the bottom it has not come back. Of the three this one is unacceptable and if it comes back will require fixing.

Talking to tech support they gave me the first round troubleshooting answer of, do a hard power cycle. He also said to put a menu up on the screen if the horizontal line of static comes back to determine if it is the tv or source. The problem with that is the line did not go far enough to the left, it stopped about at the middle, to see if it would be over the menu. I have never seen this with cable tv or the dvr so I doubt it was from the source. There is a first time for everything but 10+ years of cable service never seeing it and three weeks after a new tv it shows up makes me think it is the tv.

If you have had or heard about these problems and know the cause and corrective action I would appreciate it. If the power cycle doesn't clear these problems I will be very annoyed they appeared on a three week old tv. I can say right now that the slightly brighter vertical band didn't go away. I guess I can live with it but I am not happy to have it there at all on a new tv.

Don’t open the machine just exchange it for another one or have a tech come out if it comes back with the line.

Given the popularity of the TVs it’s not normal or acceptable. Sounds like you just received a defective unit if it persists.

post #767 of 850 Old 01-21-2020, 12:29 AM

My first call when I saw the line of static was to Best Buy. I was 6 days past their return window. I asked if they would just take it back anyway and they said they had to be strict with the return policy because a lot of people were using it and they wouldn't give a few extra days anymore. I was told to work with vizio and if I was nice and persistent I could ask their customer service for a refund. The uncommanded reboots and slight off color vertical band are one thing but if the static line comes back something will have to be done. The first step in the warranty process was the hard power cycle so now I will have to see what else comes back.
post #768 of 850 Old 01-21-2020, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My first call when I saw the line of static was to Best Buy. I was 6 days past their return window. I asked if they would just take it back anyway and they said they had to be strict with the return policy because a lot of people were using it and they wouldn't give a few extra days anymore. I was told to work with vizio and if I was nice and persistent I could ask their customer service for a refund. The uncommanded reboots and slight off color vertical band are one thing but if the static line comes back something will have to be done. The first step in the warranty process was the hard power cycle so now I will have to see what else comes back.
Did you buy with a credit card? You could contact the card provider, most offer additional purchase protection and warranty, so if Best Buy is refusing a return, they might help.

From what I've read on these forums, Vizio does offer replacements if they find it to be defective but it might take multiple tech visits.

You do have options, and don't have to be stuck with a defective panel.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #769 of 850 Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM

I for the life of me cannot get a good pic out of the XBOX ONE X or PS4. It's detecting HDR10 but the picture looks sooo flat. Like literally NO dynamic range.
post #770 of 850 Old 01-21-2020, 07:11 PM

I’m still having issues with my HDMI port 2. Can’t seem to figure it out. But my HD FireStick and Xbox One X can’t play Dolby Vision without it cutting in and out. Anyone else experience this? I have Game Mode turned on. Not sure if that matters.

I also bought the recommended Premium Certified Monoprice cable and that didn’t fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just outside my Best Buy return period.

post #771 of 850 Old 01-22-2020, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
So does this TV have a burn in period or something? I've finished tweaking and even after tweaking "satellite" content at 720P (apparently upscaled to 1080i) still looked kind of flat and soft, but last night, it really started to pop for me, and I didn't tweak a thing. It all just started looking great, no matter what I watched. I'm more than satisfied now. I never realized how bad the blacks were on my LG 55" LED 4k until now. So hopefully, I won't have to touch anything any longer. I can't really find anything to complain about now

Steve

Last edited by steveknj; 01-22-2020 at 08:58 AM.
post #772 of 850 Old 01-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sound quality

Anyone else have issues with sound quality? When I first set up TV, sound seemed really low. I have it connected through ARC to my Samsung soundboard. I had set it to Dolby, but every so often sound would cut off for a second. I changed back to auto and that seems to have corrected that issue, but sound in general seems really low and sounds like it is echoing sometimes.
post #773 of 850 Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviangel View Post
Yeah I use the OTA all the time and noticed it really depends on the quality of the original source was recorded or remastered at it seems. At least on my 43" at normal viewing distance i.e. 4 feet some 480i OTA material can look as good as some of the 720 or even 1080i stuff broadcast. Like I mentioned before here and confirmed by closely viewing larger TV's including OLED at BB pixels easy to see on the larger screens due to DPI of screen so complains about poor upscaling is most likely by people with larger screens with lower DPI.
I've compared my E43-F1 from last year to my M437-G0 from this year and I do think the scaler in the new tv does a better job than last years model.
post #774 of 850 Old 01-23-2020, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hwell View Post
I've compared my E43-F1 from last year to my M437-G0 from this year and I do think the scaler in the new tv does a better job than last years model.
Well to be fair, comparing the scaler on the E series to the M, that's not a very informative comparison.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #775 of 850 Old 01-24-2020, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Well to be fair, comparing the scaler on the E series to the M, that's not a very informative comparison.
I wouldn't think so either but Rtings scores them the same at 7.0 for 480 and 720 . Even the P series I checked was rated the same for upscaling, I simply don't agree with their ratings on the upscaler .
post #776 of 850 Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
m558 red looks orange?

Hello!

I purchased an m558-G1 over the weekend and got it all setup using the calibrated dark settings as I have always done on past Vizios. Mostly the colors looks great, but when watching something yesterday in which I knew the person was wearing a bright red suit (Kate McKinnon on SNL), it seemed to look quite orange instead. I tried playing with some of the settings within calibrated dark but couldn't seem to figure out the problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there something I can do with more detailed calibration settings?
post #777 of 850 Old 01-27-2020, 12:20 PM

I doubt anyone cares about the HDMI issues I was having as I had no replies to my post concerning them. But wanted to post this in case someone else is having a similar issue.

The issue I was having was my HDMI port 2 could not process DV. Tried HD FireStick and Xbox One X and a Monoprice Certified HDMI Cable. The issues it was having were the same as a bad HDMI cable.

Called Vizio and they are sending a tech out to replace the motherboard.

post #778 of 850 Old 01-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A question for owners of the M7 series - does it have auto-power off if no signal is present? I plan on using it as PC monitor via HDMI out of Nvidia 1070 and would like it to turn off or go to sleep when no signal.

Anyone using as PC monitor care to provide some feedback? Thinking about 43 or 50" models only.
post #779 of 850 Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just picked up an M8 65” on Sunday to replace my failed 65” LG SK9500. I am blown away by this set at the $649 price. HDR and DV look excellent. Some regular HD shows look ok, but Guardians of the Galaxy and Pirates of the Caribbean looked excellent over YouTube TV. I did tweak some settings today based on the advice of others in this thread and it definitely helped.

Only complaint I have is that I wish it would remember specific settings for native apps. Like if I’m in YouTube tv and switch over to Netflix, it stays on that profile. So I have to toggle it over to my Dolby Setting. But that’s not a big deal to me. The OS isn’t perfect, but it’s not as bad as folks make it out to be. It’s just fine to use, roku beats it, but at least I keep DV with native. Anyway, if the OS starts to get to me, that’s an easy fix.

I ended up taking the rtings settings and bumped up color and contrast to 55 and 65 respectively, and bumped up the backlight to suit my room. It’s a living room tv so it’s typically not dark room viewing which I believe rtings seems to set up towards, so some backlight helps. I’m playing around with the gamma setting a little as well when watching Dolby Vision. I have two similar setups saved with one at 2.2 and the other at 2.1.
post #780 of 850 Old 01-27-2020, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames19 View Post
I doubt anyone cares about the HDMI issues I was having as I had no replies to my post concerning them. But wanted to post this in case someone else is having a similar issue.

The issue I was having was my HDMI port 2 could not process DV. Tried HD FireStick and Xbox One X and a Monoprice Certified HDMI Cable. The issues it was having were the same as a bad HDMI cable.

Called Vizio and they are sending a tech out to replace the motherboard.

Have you used anything else besides an Xbox to get DV?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page