2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #811 of 838 Old 02-01-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
That info bar that displays 1080 is the input resolution. The display always outputs at 4K.

Thanks. Perfect!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 838 Old 02-05-2020, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
I tried setting it to bitstream and it didn't really help. Nor did any of the other settings for audio output. I did change lip syncing option from 0 to 1 and this seemed to help a little. I'll play around with it a bit more over the weekend.

The TV picture is just beautiful for most things, but anything less than 1080P looks just a bit soft. I'm still tweaking, but I'm VERY impressed.

Ever fix the lip sync issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #813 of 838 Old 02-06-2020, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got an M658-G1 and think it's great except for a couple of issues:

- Ethernet connection not stable. I lose connection daily with a soft reset as the only way to get it back. I've tried resetting from a network perspective and changing cables but no dice. Looks like I'm not the only one (https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Offic...ing_on_m658g1/) and wondering whether anyone has fixed.
- I can't get SmartCast iOS app to pair with this TV using Bluetooth. I can't do WiFi pairing, since my TV is connected via Ethernet it doesn't give me the option to connect to the temporary WiFi network created by the app to pair.

I strongly prefer to connect via Ethernet to my network where possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 838 Old 02-06-2020, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
Just got an M658-G1 and think it's great except for a couple of issues:

- Ethernet connection not stable. I lose connection daily with a soft reset as the only way to get it back. I've tried resetting from a network perspective and changing cables but no dice. Looks like I'm not the only one (https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Offic...ing_on_m658g1/) and wondering whether anyone has fixed.
- I can't get SmartCast iOS app to pair with this TV using Bluetooth. I can't do WiFi pairing, since my TV is connected via Ethernet it doesn't give me the option to connect to the temporary WiFi network created by the app to pair.

I strongly prefer to connect via Ethernet to my network where possible.
I'm getting ready to plug in the cat 6 cable and will post any issues.
post #815 of 838 Old 02-06-2020, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Has Vizio upgraded from 10/100 to gigabit wired ethernet ports on these anyway? In past years (eg: 2018 P-series) the wired connection was actually slower than just using wireless due to this...
post #816 of 838 Old 02-06-2020, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
Has Vizio upgraded from 10/100 to gigabit wired ethernet ports on these anyway? In past years (eg: 2018 P-series) the wired connection was actually slower than just using wireless due to this...

In most standard house hold environments 100mbps lan is still faster overall than WiFi. While WiFi may hit peak higher speeds in optimum conditions overall it won’t keep up sustained. There are so many variables that go into it that it could be slower for a specific use case. I would say that those scenarios are still outliers.

post #817 of 838 Old 02-06-2020, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Yamaha YAS-108 soundbar plugged into the HDMI-1 ARC port on an M658-G1. Would the audio from my Apple TV 4K and/or Xbox One S be better if I plugged directly into the soundbar (vs plugged into HDMI-2 on the TV)?
post #818 of 838 Old 02-08-2020, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Will I see any audio improvements using an external streaming box vs. the TV apps running audio through the ARC ? I run 5.1.TBD

I'm unclear on if one has more limitations than the other - Audio through the ARC, or streaming from a 4k meda streaming box / HDMI
post #819 of 838 Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there an easy fix for "jailbars"? I have a very faint band about 2" wide top to bottom that is slightly brighter on a vizio 2019 M658-G1. It is very slight and can only be noticed on certain letterbox movies where you can see in the top black border that this band is not as dark as the rest. It is so faint that I have debated whether or not to continue on with the warranty process. I do notice it in about 1 out of 2 movies and it bothers me especially since I have two smaller vizio panels from an older and lower series ,E, that have zero indication of this.

If I continue with the warranty process and they send a tech out is there a part swap that can be done that will eliminate this or will some form of this problem always be there?

Last edited by Brianappj; 02-09-2020 at 11:49 AM.
post #820 of 838 Old 02-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianappj View Post
Is there an easy fix for "jailbars"? I have a very faint band about 2" wide top to bottom that is slightly brighter on a vizio 2019 M658-G1. It is very slight and can only be noticed on certain letterbox movies where you can see in the top black border that this band is not as dark as the rest. It is so faint that I have debated whether or not to continue on with the warranty process. I do notice it in about 1 out of 2 movies and it bothers me especially since I have two smaller vizio panels from an older and lower series ,E, that have zero indication of this.

If I continue with the warranty process and they send a tech out is there a part swap that can be done that will eliminate this or will some form of this problem always be there?

I had a tech come out and try to fix my Vizio M658-G1 and it made the issue worse.

Waiting on the replacement now.

post #821 of 838 Old 02-09-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames19 View Post
I had a tech come out and try to fix my Vizio M658-G1 and it made the issue worse.

This is what I am worried about. Makes me wonder why Plasma tech was dropped. Unlimited viewing angle, pure clean grey screen, no burn in. My 15yr old 720P plasma can't compete with resolution, HDR, or color depth but if development had kept going it would probably blow ever other tech today away. It is heavy and 4" deep but come on, is that any reason to discard a superior tech?
Anyway still debating if I should have a tech tinker on this LCDs faint vertical bar.
post #822 of 838 Old 02-09-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
Quote:
This is what I am worried about. Makes me wonder why Plasma tech was dropped. Unlimited viewing angle, pure clean grey screen, no burn in.
Actually plasmas could suffer burn in if not properly cared for. And not all of them had perfect uniformity. We had to play the panel lottery back then too.

There were a number of reasons why plasma tech ended but I won't get into them here as its not the correct place.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #823 of 838 Old 02-10-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Actually plasmas could suffer burn in if not properly cared for. And not all of them had perfect uniformity. We had to play the panel lottery back then too.

There were a number of reasons why plasma tech ended but I won't get into them here as its not the correct place.

I may be missing some of their faults but the panasonic th42px75U that I have did not get burn in. They did something they called "pixel shift" and it must have worked because there were several times I feel asleep during a dvd and the menu was left playing for several hours. Several text elements were left static the entire time. The text did have image retention and I was worried I had ruined it but after several minutes of normal viewing it would be entirely erased. I also routinely would watch news stations with static logos and the static images would always go away. Maybe if you left it static for days it would stick but not after several hours.
post #824 of 838 Old 02-10-2020, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I may be missing some of their faults but the panasonic th42px75U that I have did not get burn in. They did something they called "pixel shift" and it must have worked because there were several times I feel asleep during a dvd and the menu was left playing for several hours. Several text elements were left static the entire time. The text did have image retention and I was worried I had ruined it but after several minutes of normal viewing it would be entirely erased. I also routinely would watch news stations with static logos and the static images would always go away. Maybe if you left it static for days it would stick but not after several hours.
You should try OLED then. I've had an OLED for several years as my main TV and it is wonderful, but as stated above, that is a discussion for another forum.
post #825 of 838 Old 02-10-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
This is what I am worried about. Makes me wonder why Plasma tech was dropped. Unlimited viewing angle, pure clean grey screen, no burn in. My 15yr old 720P plasma can't compete with resolution, HDR, or color depth but if development had kept going it would probably blow ever other tech today away. It is heavy and 4" deep but come on, is that any reason to discard a superior tech?
Anyway still debating if I should have a tech tinker on this LCDs faint vertical bar.

Just got my replacement M658-G1 delivered by Pilot. I only had time to turn it on and do a DSE check and it may actually be better than the original. I will have more time tonight to mess around with it.

post #826 of 838 Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What do people use for Audio settings on the M-558 G1? I'm finding I like a ton about this TV but the audio (compared to my plasma downstairs) sounds so tinny and bad.

I know soundbar is the way to go but I'm a little limited by trying to stay wire free. I'm trying to avoid adding new wires, putting them in the wall, etc.

I have one outlet right behind the TV (hides the wires) but it's currently being occupied by the TV power cord and Firestick power cord. So no room to plug a soundbar in there.

What audio settings do you use for this and/or any ideas to amend my audio woes?

thanks!
post #827 of 838 Old 02-14-2020, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree86 View Post
What do people use for Audio settings on the M-558 G1? I'm finding I like a ton about this TV but the audio (compared to my plasma downstairs) sounds so tinny and bad.

I know soundbar is the way to go but I'm a little limited by trying to stay wire free. I'm trying to avoid adding new wires, putting them in the wall, etc.

I have one outlet right behind the TV (hides the wires) but it's currently being occupied by the TV power cord and Firestick power cord. So no room to plug a soundbar in there.

What audio settings do you use for this and/or any ideas to amend my audio woes?

thanks!
Why not use a plug expander so you have enough electrical?
post #828 of 838 Old 02-14-2020, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Why not use a plug expander so you have enough electrical?
I don't have a pic right now but space is tight back there and not sure it'll fit.
post #829 of 838 Old 02-14-2020, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I don't have a pic right now but space is tight back there and not sure it'll fit.
How about something like this? I use something similar but without USB ports.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GXFYS..._g.ZrEbJ5V36QW
post #830 of 838 Old 02-15-2020, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

thanks!
I was in the same boat with my setup. I just picked up a surge protector/power strip. I went with the short 4’ cord and plugged it into the wall, then plugged everything into that. I’m just resting the power strip on top of my tv wall mount. Also switching to a fire stick 4K to replace my gen 1 fire cube so everything will be hidden behind the tv.

Next step is to wall mount the sound bar as close to flush as possible with the bottom of the tv for a clean, wireless look and it came out quite well. The only issue is if you go with an Atmos soundbar with upfiring speakers, you won’t want those firing up into the tv.

Side note, I purchased the Yamaha YAS-209 2.1 system first and it was ok. Well balanced, weak on the low end as sort of expected with a basic 2.1 system. I chose this for the built in Alexa hoping to integrate the soundbar into my whole home audio. Well, even though this bar has Alexa, whole home isn’t supported. I was able to connect the bar to WiFi which enabled me to add to my whole home through my fire cube, and that worked for about a week. Then the bar lost its connection to WiFi and would not re pair to it. So I returned it. I chose that bar for wireless capabilities and it just didn’t work, so back it went. Many reviews complained about the same issues so I was worried about that from the jump.

My next choice was going with the Bose Soundtouch 300 which is currently on sale, but my budget required me to wait to add a sub later which was gonna run me another $500-700 to add one of the Bose subs. I decided to give the JBL Bar 3.1 a shot at its current sale price and I do not regret that decision at all.

Mids are the only weak point of the JBL, but the sub is phenomenal. Highs are bright and clear and the lows really let you feel what you’re watching. For TV’s and movies, I don’t notice the weaker mid performance as much as I do listening to music. And this is mainly for movies and TV. So the JBL is here to stay. I’ve given up on using the soundbar for whole home audio and I just added an Echo downstairs for that functionality. I highly recommend trying out the JBL Bar 3.1 at the current price at BB. You can set everything up just like I did and meet all of your goals.

I’ll try and add a picture of my setup once I get the JBL wall mounted. I had the Yamaha up there so I have to move the mounting screws over.
post #831 of 838 Old 02-15-2020, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Multiple models of Tripp Lite surge suppressors (the best brand, imho), on amaz, have 'right angle plugs', for as little as $18.
A few years ago we installed the TLP810NET model on one of our Sony X950s, and the AV88SATG model on another X950 (along with the Edifier S200Pro bookshelf speakers, from amaz), and both Tripp Lite surge suppressors have been working super - even during several power outages. Although I still think it's always best/safest to unplug your tech...before the power surges back on.
post #832 of 838 Old 02-15-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames19 View Post

Well I sent this pic into support and they are sending out a replacement. They said the vertical band shouldn't be there, it was a defect, and their sets should have none of this. I guess I will see if another set can have a totally clean and uniform screen, which is what they should be the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvBars.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	759.7 KB
ID:	2685416  
post #833 of 838 Old 02-15-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Well I sent this pic into support and they are sending out a replacement. They said the vertical band shouldn't be there, it was a defect, and their sets should have none of this. I guess I will see if another set can have a totally clean and uniform screen, which is what they should be the case.

My replacement works better than my original TV.
The replacement does have the same HDMI issues as the original. And the DSE is better one the replacement. The only downside is the shipping takes a while. They used Pilot for my replacement.

post #834 of 838 Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM

Thinking about a 50" for a bedroom. Any opinions here on how the M507-G1 stacks-up against the TCL 50S525, and the LG (VA panel) 50UM7300 ??
If so, I'd like to read what anyone has to say about these three choices:
M507-G1 vs TCL 50S525 vs LG (VA panel) 50UM7300 ???

I oughtn'ta been reading/seeing so many rtings specs this weekend....as my brains' gone numb.

Understand worst app interface, and no Bluetooth, etc, on Vizio. But is the Vizios' generally poorer (according to rtings .com reviews) 480p & 720p up-scaling really noticeable-- e.g. via the cable/satellite feeds? We have DTV.
Mostly concerned about overall PQ, good reflection handling for semi bright room w/two 3' x 5' westerly facing windows w/louvered blinds
Thanks for any & all opinions.

Last edited by teachsac; 02-16-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Deal’s talk removed
post #835 of 838 Old 02-16-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilga View Post
Thinking about a 50" for a bedroom. Was noticing that the M507-G1 was on sale/available at BB. Any opinions here on how the M507-G1 stacks-up against the TCL 50S525, and the LG (VA panel) 50UM7300 ??
If so, I'd like to read what anyone has to say about these three choices:
M507-G1 vs TCL 50S525 vs LG (VA panel) 50UM7300 ???

I oughtn'ta been reading/seeing so many rtings specs this weekend....as my brains' gone numb.

Understand worst app interface, and no Bluetooth, etc, on Vizio. But is the Vizios' generally poorer (according to rtings .com reviews) 480p & 720p up-scaling really noticeable-- e.g. via the cable/satellite feeds? We have DTV.
Mostly concerned about overall PQ, good reflection handling for semi bright room w/two 3' x 5' westerly facing windows w/louvered blinds
Thanks for any & all opinions.
LG50UM7300, better 480p and 720p up-scaling. Less chance of DSE. Patience calibrating can yield an impressive PQ. Good luck, have fun.
Ilga likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #836 of 838 Old 02-16-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
LG50UM7300, better 480p and 720p up-scaling. Less chance of DSE. Patience calibrating can yield an impressive PQ. Good luck, have fun.
What is DSE ?
post #837 of 838 Old 02-16-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
What is DSE ?
Dirty Screen Effect

"I said I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in." ~ The Dude
post #838 of 838 Old 02-16-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Thanks Panson ! I guess what it comes down to is a question of what can or do you expect from a budget, basic 4K? Although from what I've read the LG's also seem to be more reliable. And the UM7300's appear to be rated as good 'alternatives' to the 'best' in the best 48"~50" & best budget tv's by rtings.

Notwithstanding their worse reflection handling (which is pretty important to us), worst app platform, and no bluetooth etc... I keep gettin' drawn back to the Vizio M Series', specifically the M507-G1, like a moth to a bug-light down in the Louisiana bayou deltas due to all the Vizios' PQ & color gamut & HDR10+ & DV, etc etc, bells and whistles.

"I said I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in." ~ The Dude

Last edited by teachsac; 02-16-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Price talk removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page