2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #61 of 849 Old 07-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The reviews are really starting to roll out now for both the M7 and M8. And they are stellar so far. I have yet to find a negative review on either model. But no one has done a direct comparison review of the m7 and m8 side by side. My m8 should be here next Tuesday. I will post more thoughts then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 849 Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Last edited by ETERNIA FOREVER; 07-03-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #63 of 849 Old 07-03-2019, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by clskinsfan View Post
The reviews are really starting to roll out now for both the M7 and M8. And they are stellar so far. I have yet to find a negative review on either model. But no one has done a direct comparison review of the m7 and m8 side by side. My m8 should be here next Tuesday. I will post more thoughts then.

I think it’s fair to say that comparing them won’t be much help. More zones will help with overall quality of black levels. I don’t know what other variances would be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 849 Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siladitya Ray View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. That makes me lean towards the M-series 55 inch G1.
Me, too. I felt this might be the answer to my identical question. I've upgraded through the last few significant tech changes with the P-series as my standard. 65" TV is more than we need in our living room. Our current 55" set almost never needs more than 70 backlight setting on a summer day with nothing more than lace curtains over lower 2/3's of living room windows.

Thanks, much. Trying to hold out till Black Friday. :-]
Shades228 likes this.
post #65 of 849 Old 07-05-2019, 12:57 PM

I picked my M8 up this morning. It is simply stunning. I am still playing with the settings but the calibrated setting seems to be the best starting point for tinkering. I will run it through Digital video essentials later tonight and get it really dialed in. But watching 1080 and 4K content it is absolutely fantastic so far. The colors just pop and the contrast and black levels are outstanding. I saw the review above of the blooming issues with the m7. None of that exists on the M8. If there is a better picture in this price range I dont know what it would be. Also was thinking of adding a roku to this TV because of complaints about navigating the system. I have no issues whatsoever. The menu navigation is crisp and Smartcast works perfectly to cast Sling TV to the set. Very early in my usage obviously. But so far this is a fantastic TV for the price.
Shades228 and ETERNIA FOREVER like this.
post #66 of 849 Old 07-05-2019, 09:56 PM

14 hours straight of usage and the M8 keeps ticking along. I have run it through DVE and surprisingly the Calibrated setting is pretty damn close to perfect. I had to drop the brightness just a tick and bump the contrast a little as well. One huge change coming from an older plasma is the brightness of this TV. It is BRIGHT! Dolby and HDR are ridiculously good. I did find some banding at 5%. I had to REALLY look for it and it is not visible under normal watching. We all know once you see banding it is something that doesnt go away. Well I am happy to say that I do not see any banding at all while watching the set. Only when running test panels. I am actually shocked just how good the image is from this TV. It completely wrecks the 106" screen I have been been watching for the past 5 years. I will continue to post updates over the next couple of days. But so far I am floored watching this TV. When crappy b films on Netflix dont get turned off because you are just intrigued with the picture, that is a win for the M8. Stunning. Period.
SpHeRe31459 likes this.

Last edited by clskinsfan; 07-05-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #67 of 849 Old 07-06-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I’ve been watching content on televisions that have been able to produce a thousand nits or more since September, but I often found that excessive brightness to be too much since I always watch in a dark room. Vizios tend to be pretty accurate and they’re typically improved in that respect via firmware over the course of time.

The M8 is definitely a solid set for the price... I have no real complaints about it whatsoever.
clskinsfan likes this.
post #68 of 849 Old 07-08-2019, 06:20 PM

Tonight I have started having some issues with my M8. It has frozen at least 5 times and I have had to do a soft reset to get it back on. I will keep an eye on it for the rest of the week and return it next week if it doesnt stop. I am not going to deal with a TV that crashes 5 times a night.
post #69 of 849 Old 07-08-2019, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Tonight I have started having some issues with my M8. It has frozen at least 5 times and I have had to do a soft reset to get it back on. I will keep an eye on it for the rest of the week and return it next week if it doesnt stop. I am not going to deal with a TV that crashes 5 times a night.

Assuming it’s an app that’s crashing?

post #70 of 849 Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades228 View Post
Assuming it’s an app that’s crashing?

It is smartcast that keeps crashing. I can watch my over the air channels but Smartcast just doesnt work until I reset the TV. I am not gonna be dealing with that all of the time. I am a cord cutter and stream damn near everything I watch.
post #71 of 849 Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is smartcast that keeps crashing. I can watch my over the air channels but Smartcast just doesnt work until I reset the TV. I am not gonna be dealing with that all of the time. I am a cord cutter and stream damn near everything I watch.

I know it’s something that reviews always seem to state is that their software isn’t the best. I use other devices so I don’t have that experience. I have cast YouTube to the tv and it worked well. Hopefully they can get it fixed. Have you called tech support?

post #72 of 849 Old 07-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I know it’s something that reviews always seem to state is that their software isn’t the best. I use other devices so I don’t have that experience. I have cast YouTube to the tv and it worked well. Hopefully they can get it fixed. Have you called tech support?

Yes. I spoke with them last night. They had me do a hard reset. Which is obviously a PIA because I have to redo all of my settings and passwords. It seems to be working fine this morning. I think I might go pick up a Roku today. I have been using them for a decade and they work great. Just bypass the vizio software altogether. Thing is I can get a TCL 6 series with Roku built in for less than this TV cost. I did a side by side comparison and the picture is better on the M8. No doubt about that.
post #73 of 849 Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Added a Roku Streaming stick plus to the Vizio today. Man I realize why I love Roku so much. TV is like a dream now. Running perfectly.
post #74 of 849 Old 07-14-2019, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For those that have this screen: how well is 24p content handled? I know the screen isn't true 120 hz, but am considering buying one after reading early reviews and this thread.
post #75 of 849 Old 07-15-2019, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haughg View Post
For those that have this screen: how well is 24p content handled? I know the screen isn't true 120 hz, but am considering buying one after reading early reviews and this thread.

I haven’t had any issues so far.

post #76 of 849 Old 07-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, hoping someone can help me. I’m looking to purchase the M558-G1 for my parents. They have a 40” wide stand and I’m wondering if this tv will fit. The specs state the tv is 48” width but I can’t find anything stating what the stand width is. Can anyone measure the width of the stand? Thank you for the help!
post #77 of 849 Old 07-15-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaners View Post
Hello, hoping someone can help me. I’m looking to purchase the M558-G1 for my parents. They have a 40” wide stand and I’m wondering if this tv will fit. The specs state the tv is 48” width but I can’t find anything stating what the stand width is. Can anyone measure the width of the stand? Thank you for the help!
From: https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US in the M558-G1 Technical Specifications section.

Distance Between Outer Stand Legs: 41.42"
Jezz likes this.
post #78 of 849 Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by haughg View Post
If you’ve seen motion on other Vizio panels that are natively 60hz you can expect about the same... which is to say it’s fine, in my opinion.
post #79 of 849 Old 07-16-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is a stumper. Playing around with my Vizio M-558 G1. When I stream Netflix from my FireTV I get HDR quality. When I stream Netflix from the native Vizio Netflix app I get Dolbyvision for the same content. Fair enough.

BUT. With the exact same picture settings (all motion smoothing off), the DV content is still blatantly, unequivocally being motion corrected somehow. The picture is also darker which, whatever, but the soap opera/motion effect is egregious.

Is this just a thing with DV? I watched Netflix in DV on my TCL 6 Series (before I returned it) and it definitely did not look like this. Is there a setting I'm missing? I'm so confused.
post #80 of 849 Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree86 View Post
This is a stumper. Playing around with my Vizio M-558 G1. When I stream Netflix from my FireTV I get HDR quality. When I stream Netflix from the native Vizio Netflix app I get Dolbyvision for the same content. Fair enough.

BUT. With the exact same picture settings (all motion smoothing off), the DV content is still blatantly, unequivocally being motion corrected somehow. The picture is also darker which, whatever, but the soap opera/motion effect is egregious.

Is this just a thing with DV? I watched Netflix in DV on my TCL 6 Series (before I returned it) and it definitely did not look like this. Is there a setting I'm missing? I'm so confused.

IIRC there’s a specific setting for chrome cast and that has to be changed. Not at home right now but I know my other Vizio is like that also.

post #81 of 849 Old 07-16-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
IIRC there’s a specific setting for chrome cast and that has to be changed. Not at home right now but I know my other Vizio is like that also.

Thanks a lot! I would love to hear more about this when you get a chance. This is my first Vizio and I'm eager to get that DV looking right!

Also - do you know why it switches between HDR and DV? It's just that Vizio "deals" with DV and FireTV "deals" in HDR? I don't know enough about them to know what the protocol is. This is my first 4K TV (Panasonic plasma ST60 still going strong!)
post #82 of 849 Old 07-16-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfree86 View Post
Thanks a lot! I would love to hear more about this when you get a chance. This is my first Vizio and I'm eager to get that DV looking right!

Also - do you know why it switches between HDR and DV? It's just that Vizio "deals" with DV and FireTV "deals" in HDR? I don't know enough about them to know what the protocol is. This is my first 4K TV (Panasonic plasma ST60 still going strong!)

You can check by going into chrome cast and seeing what video mode it’s on.

The FireTV may not support DV so it uses its best picture mode which is HDR. If it does support DV then check your settings and make sure it’s enabled.

post #83 of 849 Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
You can check by going into chrome cast and seeing what video mode it’s on.

The FireTV may not support DV so it uses its best picture mode which is HDR. If it does support DV then check your settings and make sure it’s enabled.

I'm getting a little turned around by terminology I think here. "SmartCast" is Vizio's SmartTV software, yes? From which the Netflix app can be chosen and plays in DV. When I'm playing Netflix from that app is when I get weird soap opera/motion smooth (and it doesn't seem to just be Netflix - Amazon too). Presumably if I adjust picture settings while playing in say "Dolbyvision Calibrated*" that should apply to the content being played through the Smartcast Netflix app. I turn off all the motion smoothing stuff while watching in a given picture mode and still get the soap opera.
post #84 of 849 Old 07-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do we have any indication when the 43 inch variant (M437-G1) will be released?
post #85 of 849 Old 07-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Anyone else get the M8 recently? I've been waiting on the Rtings review, but nothing just yet.

I'm so curious how it compared to the P series and TCL 6 series.
post #86 of 849 Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario64 View Post
Do we have any indication when the 43 inch variant (M437-G1) will be released?
No info. Checked this week and nada. My guess is maybe black friday time frame if at all. This should be lowest margin and volume seller item for Vizio so not very attractive from profitability perspective. I might go for a Samsung 43" instead since the vizio apps havent been updated and pq / brightness / local dimming questionable on 2019 vizios. Might try to fit a 55" tcl 6 or hisense h9f if I can get it cheap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #87 of 849 Old 07-20-2019, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
No info. Checked this week and nada. My guess is maybe black friday time frame if at all. This should be lowest margin and volume seller item for Vizio so not very attractive from profitability perspective. I might go for a Samsung 43" instead since the vizio apps havent been updated and pq / brightness / local dimming questionable on 2019 vizios. Might try to fit a 55" tcl 6 or hisense h9f if I can get it cheap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you’re going to get a 55 just get the G1. They’ve already had deals on them so just keep an eye out.

post #88 of 849 Old 07-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Anyone else get the M8 recently? I've been waiting on the Rtings review, but nothing just yet.

I'm so curious how it compared to the P series and TCL 6 series.
Me too. Word from RTings is their review is coming in the next week or so. They're testing it now, and insiders will get access to some of their measurements a couple days before the full review goes live.

My guess is that it's going to come in with similar contrast/local dimming, better color, and less brightness than the TCL. The wildcard is going to be uniformity and DSE, something that both brands have been criticized for but that Vizio usually measures better for in RTings' tests.
post #89 of 849 Old 07-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Overall I like the m558, but I have two issues I need some advice on, especially to decide if I return the tv, which I have 2 more days of best buys 15 day policy...

1. Has anyone else seen any glitch lines in their screens? I see them occasionally on hdmi feeds, and even on the native smart cast apps (netflix) the glitch is over the menu, so I know its no the feed. The glitch lines are red-ish in tint, horizontal, and don't extend over the whole screen.

2. I have a Yamaha RX-373, trying to do ARC, I don't get surround sound w/ netflix. Netflix now wants to do DD+, which isn't technically supported until eARC. Anyways, anyone get DD+ (netflix, etc) to a sound system via ARC? I am thinking I may buy a new receiver, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Thanks
post #90 of 849 Old 07-21-2019, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbletravis View Post
Overall I like the m558, but I have two issues I need some advice on, especially to decide if I return the tv, which I have 2 more days of best buys 15 day policy...

1. Has anyone else seen any glitch lines in their screens? I see them occasionally on hdmi feeds, and even on the native smart cast apps (netflix) the glitch is over the menu, so I know its no the feed. The glitch lines are red-ish in tint, horizontal, and don't extend over the whole screen.

2. I have a Yamaha RX-373, trying to do ARC, I don't get surround sound w/ netflix. Netflix now wants to do DD+, which isn't technically supported until eARC. Anyways, anyone get DD+ (netflix, etc) to a sound system via ARC? I am thinking I may buy a new receiver, but wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Thanks

Red line is bad and I’d guess a main board replacement is needed.

I don’t use ARC or the SmartCast apps so I can’t help you on that one. Overall I’ve found arc to be inconsistent and not implemented well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page