2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #211 of 581 Old 09-27-2019, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly33flyers View Post
I just picked up the M557-G0 from Sam's Club as it was on sale and I wanted a couple of cheap TVs for a sports media room. Couple of issues I'm having:
  • The wifi seems to only want to connect 802.11ng (2.4ghz) and not 802.11ac (5ghz). Has anyone else had this issue?
  • I can't get airplay to work. Whenever I try to airplay to the device from my Mac, iPad or iPhone all I get is the spinning circle on the TV but never any video. Has anyone gotten airplay to work successfully?
Thanks!

Did you reboot the modem/router?

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3

LR2. Vizio M558-G1, Roku Ultra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 581 Old 09-27-2019, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCarver View Post
Quote:
I just picked up the M557-G0 from Sam's Club as it was on sale and I wanted a couple of cheap TVs for a sports media room. Couple of issues I'm having:
  • The wifi seems to only want to connect 802.11ng (2.4ghz) and not 802.11ac (5ghz). Has anyone else had this issue?
  • I can't get airplay to work. Whenever I try to airplay to the device from my Mac, iPad or iPhone all I get is the spinning circle on the TV but never any video. Has anyone gotten airplay to work successfully?
Thanks!

Did you reboot the modem/router?
Yes I rebooted my UniFi APs and still the same. Also I have no issues with any of my 50+ other devices connected. Seems more like an actual device/firmware issue and I wanted to see if anyone else had the issue or if things were working fine for others.
post #213 of 581 Old 09-28-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Yes I rebooted my UniFi APs and still the same. Also I have no issues with any of my 50+ other devices connected. Seems more like an actual device/firmware issue and I wanted to see if anyone else had the issue or if things were working fine for others.
You have over 50 devices connected to your router?!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 581 Old 09-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
You have over 50 devices connected to your router?!

Yeah. It's not that unreasonable. Pretty much every device is connected these days whether it be wifi or ethernet. With a family of 4 that adds up quickly with phones, tablets, computers, all TVs, gaming systems, smart devices, satellite receivers for on demand, etc. You'd be surprised how quickly it can get up there.

Regardless, the point being that I don't have any issues elsewhere in my network so I wanted to see if this was just a bad TV or if others were having similar experiences.
post #215 of 581 Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 2157
Quote:
Yeah. It's not that unreasonable. Pretty much every device is connected these days whether it be wifi or ethernet. With a family of 4 that adds up quickly with phones, tablets, computers, all TVs, gaming systems, smart devices, satellite receivers for on demand, etc. You'd be surprised how quickly it can get up there.

Regardless, the point being that I don't have any issues elsewhere in my network so I wanted to see if this was just a bad TV or if others were having similar experiences.
Oh I agree it's probably an issue with the TV, I was just surprised at 50 lol. I have 18 and thought that was a lot!

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #216 of 581 Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
Oh I agree it's probably an issue with the TV, I was just surprised at 50 lol. I have 18 and thought that was a lot!
Did the tv actually get the airplay firmware update, most don't have it out of the box. How far from your router is the tv, 5 gig band is a short distance band and your tv will revert to the band with the most signal strength unless you give each band a separate ssid and just connect to that ssid.
post #217 of 581 Old 09-30-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Does anyone else NOT have the Airplay update yet, who's M-series still claims to be "up-to-date" when manually asked to check for updates?

I have an M658-G1 that I've had since late July, and it still hasn't picked up the 'summer' Airplay update though it seems most owners have gotten it a month+ ago.

It's only preventing me from streaming a few movies I own only on iTunes, but I'm wondering why it's not getting the update when it's connected and all other features seem to be working fine...
post #218 of 581 Old 09-30-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
Does anyone else NOT have the Airplay update yet, who's M-series still claims to be "up-to-date" when manually asked to check for updates?

I have an M658-G1 that I've had since late July, and it still hasn't picked up the 'summer' Airplay update though it seems most owners have gotten it a month+ ago.

It's only preventing me from streaming a few movies I own only on iTunes, but I'm wondering why it's not getting the update when it's connected and all other features seem to be working fine...
It seems Vizio decided to update the older models first and the 2019's are the last to be updated.
post #219 of 581 Old 09-30-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking at a VIZIO M-Series Quantum 558. Was also looking at an LG 49SM8600PUA, but all the reviews suggested that the Vizio was not only better, but larger and cheaper.

Went to a Best Buy to compare with my own eyes. Was more than a little annoyed when I was told that they could not put the same content on both TVs--it seems that their deals with the various manufacturers stipulate that only their supplied demo reels may be viewed. Still leaning towards the Vizio, but wish I could get a decent comparison.
post #220 of 581 Old 10-01-2019, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Why is my 4:4:4 chroma grayed out on the HDMI list. Full color is on and my 4k Apple TV is on

Also Apple TV won’t let me select 60hz Dolby vision, only 30hz and lower is available.... is this tv not able to do 60hz Dolby vision? I have the 50in
post #221 of 581 Old 10-01-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
Looking at a VIZIO M-Series Quantum 558. Was also looking at an LG 49SM8600PUA, but all the reviews suggested that the Vizio was not only better, but larger and cheaper.

Went to a Best Buy to compare with my own eyes. Was more than a little annoyed when I was told that they could not put the same content on both TVs--it seems that their deals with the various manufacturers stipulate that only their supplied demo reels may be viewed. Still leaning towards the Vizio, but wish I could get a decent comparison.
If you have more than one local BB, you could try another. The only real shot you have at a comparison is to bring your own video on a USB stick, they may let you play it on both sets. But it's still going to be set to store video settings, and in a bright showroom.

That LG is an IPS panel, and isn't going to have anything even close to the contrast or black performance of the M series. Unless you really need wide viewing angles, it's not even really close, TBH... The M is better in pretty much every other way TVs are measured.
post #222 of 581 Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
If you have more than one local BB, you could try another. The only real shot you have at a comparison is to bring your own video on a USB stick, they may let you play it on both sets. But it's still going to be set to store video settings, and in a bright showroom.

That LG is an IPS panel, and isn't going to have anything even close to the contrast or black performance of the M series. Unless you really need wide viewing angles, it's not even really close, TBH... The M is better in pretty much every other way TVs are measured.
Yeah, after doing some additional research, I've come to the same conclusion. And, bizarrely, the Vizio is cheaper. Will need to buy a stand--The "feet" just make me nervous, and a stand will give me room for my cable box and BR player. Will probably order it tonight.

When I started looking, I was only looking for a 43" display. Fortunately, the 55" will fit where I need it to go without having to move anything.
post #223 of 581 Old 10-01-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Frustrated with best buy as well @jthomas666. I was trying to get them to demo between the Vizio M558 and the TCL 55R17(?).
Sure all demo stuff was cool, but then I asked them to hook up a 4K player, or if I could bring something in, and was told no. I have a Costco, have the M557, which is cheaper still. Still looking for that 55 for the bedroom.
post #224 of 581 Old 10-01-2019, 11:51 AM

Better upscaling possible?

Need some advice from the AV gurus here. Just bought my first 4K TV -- 2019 Vizio M Series Quantum M558-G1. 55-inch.

The picture is gorgeous at 4K and with native 1080p content. But I have two quibbles, one I can work around and one for which I need your advice. The quibble I can work around is the Smartcast software -- it's terrible. But I can stream through the built-in Chromecast for all sources or use my OG Xbox One for YouTube TV and non-4K sources.

Still, I'm not wild about the upscaling with this TV. 720p and 1080p sources don't look that much clearer or sharper than my 2009 Panasonic Plasma that I just sold, other than much richer colors. I know plasma always handles motion better than LED -- that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make, and the motion isn't that bad on the Vizio. But I want the graphics and picture to POP, and this just looks a little soft when upscaled.

My budget remains $600 or less, so I know I get what I pay for. So, please don't recommend that I buy a $1,000 or $1,200 Sony or Samsung or to fulfill the post-college tuitions dream of an OLED set. That day will come, but it's not now.

Should I consider another set-top box/stick for better upscaling, such as a Roku Premiere, Ultra or Streaming Stick+ or an Apple TV?

I have about a week left in my Best Buy return window, so I'm going to take a peek at the Hisense H9F and get control of one at Best Buy so I can stream from my phone to it to check upscaling from 720p (ESPN's resolution) and 1080p. The comparison photos at Rtings.com show considerably better upscaling at 720p and 1080p on the Hisense than my Vizio.

But I'm leery of Hisense's quality control and reports of bad screen uniformity amid the otherwise glowing reviews. I'm also not interested in the TCL 2018 6 Series, as that set has not impressed me any time I've seen it. Looks washed out, with considerably grayer blacks than my new Vizio M Series Quantum. Plus I don't want to play the TCL panel lottery, even with the new 625 sets.

Appreciate any and all advice. Native 1080p and 4K content looks fantastic on this Vizio. Would just like to get streamed and upscaled 720p and 1080p content looking as good as possible, whether through a different set-top box/stick or switching to the Hisense.
post #225 of 581 Old 10-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the M558-G1. I connected the TV to the router via ethernet and speed test results from Vizio tells me I am getting 20+ to 30+ Mb/s. I also tested on the Netflix app and results aren't that different either but they use Mbps instead of Mb/s. OK, the weird thing is that when I switched ethernet ports, the initial Netflix test showed 100+ Mbps. Subsequent tests speeds are down to the 30s Mbps. I have 100 Mbps cable internet from Spectrum.

However, on wifi 5 Ghz I am able to get much higher throughput ... 80+ Mbps .... on Netflix'x test.

Can someone help enlighten?
post #226 of 581 Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith6 View Post
Has anyone used 43inch M Quantum series as a monitor?
I've had mine up and working as a monitor for a few days. It was a bit of a dance to get it working well with my PC/gfx card. It's a big upgrade from two ~10 yr old 24" Dell TN panels with mediocre gamut. However, because it's just an HDMI 2.0(b) input on the Vizio, you can't get 10-bit 2160p/60Hz 4:4:4. I couldn't get 10-bit 2160p/60Hz 4:4:2 either with my GTX 1050 Ti card (both with HDMI output and later with Displayport and the Club 3D active Displayport to HDMI adapter. I could get 30Hz, but not 60Hz. Don't know if this is a limitation of my gen gfx card..

So, I fell back to having Nvidia stfu, set it to 2160p/60Hz using Windows 10 default settings, and the TV set as follows:

Picture: Computer mode, black detail low, Active Full Array medium, Game latency low, Gamma 2.1
Input: Full UHD color off

With this, the Vizio comes up as "HDR10" when connected to the PC.

tl:dr: Text is clear to me without apparent compression artifacts (with the caveat my eyes are heading toward decrepitude and I tend to zoom browser windows a bit). I've been gaming in WoW and haven't noticed any user side latency issues. One downside of using this TV as a monitor is no instant "no signal therefore I shall go to sleep" mode - you can set it for wait 10 minutes or always on.

Where I keep all of my other posts:
Silent PC Review

Last edited by ca_steve; 10-04-2019 at 11:56 AM. Reason: more info
post #227 of 581 Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendragon29 View Post
I have the M558-G1. I connected the TV to the router via ethernet and speed test results from Vizio tells me I am getting 20+ to 30+ Mb/s. I also tested on the Netflix app and results aren't that different either but they use Mbps instead of Mb/s. OK, the weird thing is that when I switched ethernet ports, the initial Netflix test showed 100+ Mbps. Subsequent tests speeds are down to the 30s Mbps. I have 100 Mbps cable internet from Spectrum.

However, on wifi 5 Ghz I am able to get much higher throughput ... 80+ Mbps .... on Netflix'x test.

Can someone help enlighten?
The Vizio speed tests are notoriously unreliable. Avoid. Go with Netflix's test before Vizio's, every time.
post #228 of 581 Old 10-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
The Vizio speed tests are notoriously unreliable. Avoid. Go with Netflix's test before Vizio's, every time.
Ya, I read about that. I tested the speeds on Netflix and I am getting 100+ Mbps on wifi but still getting 20-30+ Mbps on ethernet. However, whenever I switch ethernet ports (just for testing purposes) on the router, the initial test runs at 80-100+. Subsequent tests goes back down to the 20-30 range. This is certainly puzzling. Does this mean that the NIC on the Vizio does not provide that high a throughput?

Anyone with the 2019 M series tested this?
post #229 of 581 Old 10-04-2019, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendragon29 View Post
Ya, I read about that. I tested the speeds on Netflix and I am getting 100+ Mbps on wifi but still getting 20-30+ Mbps on ethernet. However, whenever I switch ethernet ports (just for testing purposes) on the router, the initial test runs at 80-100+. Subsequent tests goes back down to the 20-30 range. This is certainly puzzling. Does this mean that the NIC on the Vizio does not provide that high a throughput?

Anyone with the 2019 M series tested this?

It more than likely means Vizio is capping the max speed to meet their needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #230 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Anyone demo the M558 with the TCL 55R17, or have had both TV's? They are both pretty close in picture and price.
post #231 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Anyone demo the M558 with the TCL 55R17, or have had both TV's? They are both pretty close in picture and price.
I strongly considered both of these in 65". Wound up with the Vizio a couple months ago and I've been happy with it.

If you get a good panel, I think either of these is tough to beat.
post #232 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_steve View Post
I've had mine up and working as a monitor for a few days. It was a bit of a dance to get it working well with my PC/gfx card. It's a big upgrade from two ~10 yr old 24" Dell TN panels with mediocre gamut. However, because it's just an HDMI 2.0(b) input on the Vizio, you can't get 10-bit 2160p/60Hz 4:4:4. I couldn't get 10-bit 2160p/60Hz 4:4:2 either with my GTX 1050 Ti card (both with HDMI output and later with Displayport and the Club 3D active Displayport to HDMI adapter. I could get 30Hz, but not 60Hz. Don't know if this is a limitation of my gen gfx card..

So, I fell back to having Nvidia stfu, set it to 2160p/60Hz using Windows 10 default settings, and the TV set as follows:

Picture: Computer mode, black detail low, Active Full Array medium, Game latency low, Gamma 2.1
Input: Full UHD color off

With this, the Vizio comes up as "HDR10" when connected to the PC.

tl:dr: Text is clear to me without apparent compression artifacts (with the caveat my eyes are heading toward decrepitude and I tend to zoom browser windows a bit). I've been gaming in WoW and haven't noticed any user side latency issues. One downside of using this TV as a monitor is no instant "no signal therefore I shall go to sleep" mode - you can set it for wait 10 minutes or always on.
I believe your dealing with standard HDMI limitations.
post #233 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
The M558 is QLED, while the 2018 TCL 6 Series is not. The difference is noticeable, at least to me, with deeper blacks and richer colors on the Vizio. The 2019 TCL 6 Series, available now on Amazon, is QLED.

Besides the better picture, Vizio seems to have better reliability, with fewer reports of the "panel lottery" that you see with TCL. So I went with the Vizio M558-G1 and am happy, especially since it's down to $499 at Best Buy!
post #234 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kelly View Post
The M558 is QLED, while the 2018 TCL 6 Series is not. The difference is noticeable, at least to me, with deeper blacks and richer colors on the Vizio. The 2019 TCL 6 Series, available now on Amazon, is QLED.

Besides the better picture, Vizio seems to have better reliability, with fewer reports of the "panel lottery" that you see with TCL. So I went with the Vizio M558-G1 and am happy, especially since it's down to $499 at Best Buy!
Make sure you get the M558-G1 if you're interested in the Vizio family, as it has many more local dimming zones than the M558's that end with G0 or other numbers. Makes a big difference in picture quality.
post #235 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Thumb Drive picture viewing issue

Hi Everyone-
Just got my M558 Monday and wanted to check out some of our digital photos on the 4K display last night. So I grabbed a random USB thumb drive I had put pictures on of a trip to show my parents on their TV. TV recognized the drive right away and brought up the folders. I can go to the folders and TV builds the thumbnails (or starts to) and I can see the properties of the image displayed. But sometimes when the thumbnails are being built the process stops and VIZIOCAST home screen comes up and sometimes all the thumbnails are displayed OK. But in this case when I select a picture and hit the OK button in the middle of the arrow buttons the VIZIOCAST home screen comes up. When I hit slide show nothing happens. I never get any error messages. There were also some folders with music on this thumb drive and they play fine. Has anyone tried this? Could it be a resolution issue? These pictures happened to be 4032X3024 and worked fine on my parents old Samsung plasma.

Anyone else try this and know if it's a bug or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
post #236 of 581 Old 10-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlover122 View Post
Why is my 4:4:4 chroma grayed out on the HDMI list. Full color is on and my 4k Apple TV is on

Also Apple TV won’t let me select 60hz Dolby vision, only 30hz and lower is available.... is this tv not able to do 60hz Dolby vision? I have the 50in
Since the Full Color is set to on, have you tried a different HDMI cable? I purchased a new cable awhile back and it was defective.
post #237 of 581 Old 10-06-2019, 05:36 AM

I received the M658-G1 for my birthday a week ago. Love it so far. Upgraded from a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma that I purchased back in 2007 (it is still going strong, hung in the bedroom now). I used my setup DVD to adjust color on the Vizio and to my amazement the color was accurate to DVD settings. I do have it set to Calibration Mode and Standard for the color temperature. I also went to Youtube to check out some 4K HRD10 videos. They look awesome on the set. I do see that my settings do change when viewing normal videos to HDR10. I guess the set automatically adjust to the viewing content.
post #238 of 581 Old 10-06-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Flashlighting on 43" M-Series?

So, I dunno how to explain it but I just picked up a 2019 43" M-Series with Quantum Dot yesterday at Best Buy and it has significant flash lighting around ALL the edges of the screen. This doesn't make sense to me though because I thought the TV has local dimming? I understand that it's only 12 zones on this size, but none the less they should be behind the screen and not on the edges right? I've tried turning the local dimming on High, Medium, Low, and even off and the flash lighting is still there at all times and doesn't get dimmer or brighter at all when I change the local dimming level. My guess is a defective panel right? Unless this is normal for the 43"? I mean, it's only our bedroom tv and I can honestly just live with it IF that's how its suppose to behave. But if this isn't normal, then I'd like to go exchange it for another one today. Has anyone had similar experiences?
post #239 of 581 Old 10-06-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
So, I dunno how to explain it but I just picked up a 2019 43" M-Series with Quantum Dot yesterday at Best Buy and it has significant flash lighting around ALL the edges of the screen. This doesn't make sense to me though because I thought the TV has local dimming? I understand that it's only 12 zones on this size, but none the less they should be behind the screen and not on the edges right? I've tried turning the local dimming on High, Medium, Low, and even off and the flash lighting is still there at all times and doesn't get dimmer or brighter at all when I change the local dimming level. My guess is a defective panel right? Unless this is normal for the 43"? I mean, it's only our bedroom tv and I can honestly just live with it IF that's how its suppose to behave. But if this isn't normal, then I'd like to go exchange it for another one today. Has anyone had similar experiences?

I'm not seeing that on mine.

Where I keep all of my other posts:
Silent PC Review
post #240 of 581 Old 10-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_steve View Post
I'm not seeing that on mine.

Yeah, considering it’s a FALD (even though it’s 12 zones) it seems odd that there’s significant flash lighting. I just got done making a run to a different Best Buy to exchange it. I can only assume it was a defective panel as there’s no way that’s normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page