AVS Forum banner

2019 Vizio M Series Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

150K views 980 replies 200 participants last post by  ColdComfort 
#1 ·
Pre ordered the M55 G1 since the P is no longer available in 55". Just needed a replacement TV for a 2008 Sharp Aquos. I pick it up on Sunday and will have it calibrated on 6/10. Will post initial thoughts and impressions on Sunday.

#2 ·
So the tv came in early and I’ve had it up for 2 days. So far I’m very happy with it. From a regular viewing of 1080 and 4K I’m very happy with the picture. There was minimal grey banding on a couple setup screens. Nothing that made me concerned. Overall the HDR and DV content has been great. The calibrated and calibrated dark are probably close enough for the majority of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Waiting for the 43” M to be released. Wanting to compare it to the 43” V with local dimming. The only differences I can tell are a couple more dimming zones, quantum color, 360 clear action (vs. 180 on the V), and 1 more HDMI port. Curious to see if that hundred dollar difference is worth it. Anybody have any info on when the 43” will be released?

Reactions: rossi46
#5 ·
I also am waiting for the 43" M. I am considering using it for my PC monitor. I currently have a 30" 2560x1600 display that it would replace. My older computer with a Nvidia GTX 1070 is fast enough to play Overwatch on my current display, but I am wondering how it would perform on the Vizio. Most likely I would run the Overwatch game at 2560x1440 and I am wondering if that would introduce any lag during the down-res conversion. Most of the rest of the time I would run it at 4K and also try out Ultra HD blu-ray on it via my Xbox One S.

#15 ·
so i tried startign a thread but no one is talking on it... im in market for a new tv for my bedroom and i already am spoiled by my pq65 in my living room and im thinking maybe get a p55 for my room or the new version the m558 g1 but i dunno if the price diff is worth it or what and im looking for experience from ppl who have compaared and or used both or one or the other... thanks guys

#16 ·
So far the M558 is a solid TV. There’s tons of threads about 2018 models so I’d just read up on those. The 2019 are so new that you’re really taking a “gamble” right now. I say gamble because overall I think most TVs in the same range will be interchangeable in quality overall. So far the M558 has been a great bedroom tv even during the day with a window directly across.

#20 ·
so i love my pq like crazy and i posted on this last week btu no replies so id love to hear from you guys who have see n and experienced these models.....

i need a 55 inch for my bedroom and ican get 2 open box deals at a steal.. one is sk9000 and other is nu8000

i lvoe the picture onthe sm9000 lg i havent seen the nu8000 perform just bets buy lame commerical i nstore...

i can get a the sk9000 which is same pic quality as the sm9000 and i love the picture from what i have seen on the sm9000.. so im leanin toward that or p55 or m558

can anyone tell me what they think of the m558 compared to the sk or sm9000 please id really liek to hear hoenst and experienced opinions on this... i wanna go to the store today and make my final decision

#22 ·
I don't think these are widely available right now, and Vizio is clearly pushing the high-end PQX series as it's promotional focus at the moment.

I saw a pile of the lower-spec M557-G0 and V-series at Costco last weekend, but I'm a lot less interested in them than the Mxx8-G1 or P659-G1, which I've not seen anywhere yet. RTings hasn't bought one yet, though it's on their poll and CNET is radio silence, so it appears we're at least a few weeks away from serious reviews on these...

#23 ·
I saw the lower end M series at Walmart last weekend. I haven’t seen any of the higher end models on display anywhere. My brother just bought the M558-G1 and should be getting to delivered today or tomorrow. I’m waiting on reviews before I make a purchase on either of those. He was in need of a TV and couldn’t wait on reviews since his old one died.

#24 ·
I saw the lower end M series at Walmart last weekend. I haven’t seen any of the higher end models on display anywhere. My brother just bought the M558-G1 and should be getting to delivered today or tomorrow. I’m waiting on reviews before I make a purchase on either of those. He was in need of a TV and couldn’t wait on reviews since his old one died.
If you get to take a look at your brother's set, could you let us know your thoughts on it? I am pretty curious about this set.

#27 ·
Calibration done. Out of there box as I said the calibrated default isn’t that bad. The game mode was also very close. The black levels were spot on with both preset and the contrast was the largest adjustment. After all the colors were dialed in it looks great. The 558-G1 is a really great tv. I’m very impressed with it. Once the usual price drop hits its a no brained unless some other manufacturer really steps up I think this will be the best 55” for the $ in 2019.

#28 ·
New review from Tom's Guide!

Can't post links yet but it looks like it's starting to trickle in. Can maybe make a decision between the 2019 55" M-Series or 2018 55" P-Series.

Does anyone think they can help with a comparison? 2018 seems to be a bit brighter but not sure if the updates on the 2019 M-Series makes up for it.

#29 ·
Can't post links yet but it looks like it's starting to trickle in. Can maybe make a decision between the 2019 55" M-Series or 2018 55" P-Series.

Does anyone think they can help with a comparison? 2018 seems to be a bit brighter but not sure if the updates on the 2019 M-Series makes up for it.

I think the 2018 models were almost a step back. I think they thought they could get the software to compensate for less zones and it didn’t work out.

I’m also beginning to look at brightness as a contrast number for marketing terms. None of my TVs have the backlit at full even for day watching. Everyone has different preferences and scenarios.

For an 18 model I think TCL 6 series still wins and with sales to move old stock you may jump up in brands to get something even better.

#30 ·
Thanks for starting this thread. Was at my local Costco in Santa Clara today. Saw the 55" M series G0 model for the 1st time. Took some pictures.

Attachments

#34 · (Edited)
CNET Review is up; M658-G1 reviewed:

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/vizio-m658-g1-review/

Think this will answer a lot of our questions for those waiting to see this vs. 2018 models that might be discounted now... Picture quality is at Q70R/X950G levels according to summary, but it's a tradeoff of superior color and FALD performance (Vizio) for ultimate brightness, which is less than last year's M-series (and therefore 2018 P-series too).

DCI/P3 coverage has gone from 82%(2018) to 98% (2019), but peak HDR brightness has dropped from 790 nits (2018) to 531 nits (2019) in accurate modes.

Vizio is still getting ripped for SmartCast, compared to pretty much everyone else's smart features, but especially Roku.

#35 ·
decent prices on the m558 right now... im still crossed between that and the p55. and ive been shopping other units liek the nu8000 is super cheap at some places but edge lit and equal to q6fn pretty much. also was curious botu lg sk9000 but reading lots of bloom and grey complaints.... really to me it looks liek son yand vizio are the best two options for tvs right now... the samsungs are good but they are the very expensive models... q8 and up...

the vizio p series is so bright my quantum 65 is unbelievably bright a darker picture to me seems liek it wouldnt be a bad thing really... so im wondering if ishoyuld try the m558 for my bedroom can always return it if i dont like it. my room is made for day sleeping causei work nights so.... i dunno im gonan read this cnet review.

#37 ·
Well it’s looking good. The uniformity is pretty darn good. There are some very very minor vertical lines at full white due to the fald zones but I had to look for it. There isn’t any splotches on gray patterns or anything either. There may be some minor clouding going on during a completely black screen but Im also watching in a pitch black room and am sitting fairly close to my 65”, so may be a ‘just slightly off center’ thing Im seeing. Not noticeable the moment anything comes on screen though.

Very happy with my purchase. Colors are good, brightness is definitely adequate for dark room viewing too.

#39 ·
Just purchased a M558-G1 this evening at Best Buy. 1st 4K tv and am super excited about it.

As an absolute novice in this realm, is this a good place to look for calibration settings as more folks buy their set?

Thanks! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Yeah, I’m sure someone will post some actual calibration stuff eventually. I’d give it time though, considering these sets are just trickling out now.

So I popped in various discs last night and fired up a couple of games and honestly, I can’t really say there’s much negative to say about the 65”. The 90 zones do seem to help mitigate any major blooming problems, and again, uniformity is quite good. As mentioned before, there is definitely some minor clouding with the screen is pitch black but anything else on the screen seems to make it disappear. I wouldn’t notice this if I had even a little ambient light in the man cave though so I find it completely acceptable. I have seen much, much worse.

It’s funny. I went through to Sony Z9F’s and two Sony 900F’s and they all had some issue I couldn’t live with. Light bleed, gray spots, spots that were too bright, etc. I decided to go for Vizio again since my 2016 M was quite nice, and was tempted because the 65” for $899 seemed like a steal, especially with the improvements. I can’t believe how much better this TV is in the quality control department compared to those higher priced Sony sets. I think I’ll stick with them for now on.

I do have an LG C8 OLED as well but Im probably just going to hang it in the living room now. Im just and LCD kind of guy, what can I say?

#43 ·
Greetings all! I'm having 2 issues with my recently acquired Vizio 55" M557-g0

1. Connected to this TV, I have a 3ish year old 29" Vizio soundbar. This soundbar is connected via an optical/TOSLINK cable. The soundbar does not have HDMI so using the TV's HDMI1 (ARC) connection is not an option. In the TV's audio settings under Digital Audio, I have it set to "PCM" to get audio pushed to the soundbar. Going into different apps on the TV such as Netflix and Hulu will change the TV's audio setting from "PCM" to "Auto" and will stop sending sound to the soundbar. The soundbar recognizes this and goes into a "searching" mode. When I go in to the settings and change the audio back to "PCM" all is well, until the TV gets power cycled then it's the same thing all over again. Also, if my wife is watching America's Got Talent on Hulu, the audio will play through the soundbar until ads play. After the ads end and the show begins again, the TV will switch back to "Auto". Is there any way to hard save my audio settings?

2. While watching Netflix or casting Youtube from my phone, the TV will randomly glitch out and give me a blue screen that says "Oops. Our attention lapsed for a second. Please re-try what you were doing.". Then it kicks me back to the main app screen. This isn't a connection issue. The TV is hardwired into the router. Is this just a software problem? Should I go exchange this TV for a new one of the same model?

#50 ·
Looks like the M Series Quantum surged late and won the rtings.com poll for their next purchase. That's great! I just ordered a P65-F1 earlier this week for $999 because it seemed like stock was running out around me quickly. Wondering if I should keep it in box until the M Series gets reviewed or not. I ordered it from Target so i have 30 days to return it opened and 90 days unopened. But I am currently TV-less after moving so that might be tough. I mostly just play video games and watch TV/Netflix.

#53 ·
I’m going nuts over here.

Player is a Panasonic UB820. Receiver is a Sony DN1070. This receiver does not recognize Dolby Vision HDR so I prefer to connect the player to my TV directly, and then run another HDMI to the receiver for sound. This has worked all along, but then I replace the old TV with this, and I don’t get sound and video at the same time.

The HDMI out from my receiver to the TV is meant to display video from all my game consoles. I use HDMI 2 for gaming. HDMI 1 for the UHD player.

CEC functionality is disabled on everything.

Everything works fine if I just use one HDMI cable to the receiver, and then another from the receiver to the TV. However, that means I can only use the general HDR10 data from my UHD discs.

For some reason the audio will only come through the receiver if the TV is set to the input that has the hdmi from the receiver plugged into it (HDMI 2). So Im getting sound at that point and no video. If I switch to Video 1, which is the cable direct from the player, I get video, but no sound. The only way to get both things working together from the player is if I change the HDMI Out setting on my Sony to ‘B’... which is weird because I didn’t need to do that before. And this means Id have to change that setting back every time I want to play games, because HDMI Out 2 doesn’t work for that.

I feel like the Vizio is screwing something up in the chain since there was no issue with my other TV that was previously connected, which was an LG C8.

Any knowledge on issues via firmware that could be causing this anomaly? I can’t for the life of me figure this out.

#55 ·
So I'm trying to decide between a 65" M Series and the TCL 6 series. I've been waiting until the local Best Buy actually had the M series on display (a few days ago they finally did it). I'm a bit of a dinosaur. Living out in the woods my internet is through my cell phone so I don't stream. My current TV is an old Sony rear projection HDTV from 2003. It's finally starting to have color issues so it's time to update. I do occasionally use chrome cast but that's it. I doubt I'll ever use any of the other "smart" features.

The 6 series at one of the local Best Buys looked terrible. The TCL feed loop was jerky to the point where it would stop for almost a full second. It was so bad that it was painful to watch. I doubt it was the TV's fault, probably the store. The M series had darker blacks and the colors looked more vibrant while the 6 series looked noticeably brighter. As of now I would say that I'm leaning towards the M series. I'm thinking of going to a different BB to see if their display is any better.

How many of you compared these two TVs? I've read the reviews that Vizio's remote isn't all that great (fine with me as I've probably picked up the Sony remote 10 times in the last 15 years) and the software for the apps is slow. Is this going to be even an issue if I never use the smart TV functions or will I have to navigate through it each time I turn the set on? I don't mind a delay for the software to load (I'm waiting for a bulb to turn on and get bright right now).

#59 ·
Quote from the same article I posted above. Take it with whatever kind of value you want.

"The M-Series Quantum is good enough that it unseats our previous favorite in this price range, the TCL 6-Series Roku TV. While the TCL's Roku platform and overall performance are both excellent, the Vizio M-Series Quantum 65-inch (M658-G1) edges it out with the vibrant quantum-dot display and ever-improving smart-TV functionality."

#56 ·
I’ve heard good things about the TCL 6 series. You have to be careful though looking up comments online with comparisons because every television out there is going to have the ‘panel lottery’ to take into consideration. Some people get bad ‘jail bars’ or DSE on Vizios, some get it in TCL. Many others have sets that are perfectly fine from both manufacturers as well.

All I can say is we have three Vizios in our house. There’s a really really old 30” inch one that has always looked fine and still works to this day. There’s a 55” 2016 M series model that I had used as my primary television in the home theater, but now it’s hanging in my bedroom on the wall and the wife and I love having it there. That television, too, has been great.

This new M Series Quantum also looks great to me. I’ve had very good luck with Vizio, moreso than even Sony and LG. But that was my experience and mine alone.

To answer your question, the TV will turn on to your previously used input, so you really don’t have to worry about navigating anything in regards to online apps. The actual tv menu where you change picture settings is snappy as it should be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.