Any TVs have HDMI ARC that works? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any TVs have HDMI ARC that works?

I have the Samsung MU6300 4K 55inch but the HDMI ARC doesn't work. Read other forums about other Samsung TVs where the HDMI ARC doesn't work either...yea I and everyone else tried all the work-arounds and still it doesn't work. Just wondering if there are any others like Sony, Vizio, TLC, etc. that have HDMI ARC and do work as they're supposed to. I can use Digital Optical but want to use HDMI ARC for sound which doesn't work with many Samsungs and am wondering if it does work with other TVs as I might be looking to get a new one. I bought an extended warranty and there's supposed to have someone come over Tuesday to look at it. From what's I've read in the forums it can't be fixed and won't be either so I'm on the lookout for a new TV. Good by Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 641
I have HDMI ARC working with a Samsung UN65NU6900, Samsung HW-M550 Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer, and Samsung UBD-M7500 4K DVD player.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a Sony HTST7 soundbar with ARC that works with my Q9F.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I have HDMI ARC working with a Samsung UN65NU6900, Samsung HW-M550 Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer, and Samsung UBD-M7500 4K DVD player.

Thanks Glock and Dave. I thinking yours "Dave" might be working seeing everything you have is Samsung. I was looking at the HWR550/ZA soundbar and wondered if it's similar to yours and if so how do you like it? I was thinking if I had a Samsung soundbar it might "click" with the TV and work with HDMI ARC. Having a Vizio and Polk soundbar might conflict with the TV which might be causing the problem.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
my vizio works fine i watch netflix and prime thru the smartcast with arc to my marantz avr. did have to do a reset on the tv arc stopped working after an update but all is good now.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My TVs that work with arc

Samsung mu6600 with Sony st5000

Sony w900 with yamaha ysp1600

Samsung mu8000 with Denon avr

LG c7 with LG sj9

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I'd imagine you've already done all of this as you said you've been researching on other forums.. but sometimes for ARC to work properly, you must enable or disable other settings in the TV such as CEC, etc. etc. Every brand has their own extra shiz that works/doesn't work with ARC. Also, be sure that the soundbar doesn't have some setting that needs to be changed. What's wrong with optical, anyway? Other than having the extra cable (ugly or no room), and also having to purchase the cable, which I totally get... I mean yeah it should work if it's supposed to. GL!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #8 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 105
ARC works fine on all my Sony's. 900E/940E/950G. But I no longer use it except for one of my 900E's. If I had my way all my panels would be dumb, no apps, etc. I prefer the ATV.

HT 7.1.4: Sony X940E, Marantz SR8012, LR: JBL Studio 580's, C: JBL Studio 520c, Surrounds and Rears: JBL Studio 530's, ATMOS: JBL Studio 210's, Sub: HSU VTF-3 mk5
MB 5.1: Sony 55" X950G, Denon X3500H, LR/Surrounds: JBL Studio 270’s, C: JBL Studio 235c, Sub: HSU VTF-2 mk5
Living Room/Office 5.1: Sony 49" 900E's, HTNT5's with wireless rear channels
post #9 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 122
ARC on both my Samsung KS8000 and new Q80R works great. I just chose the HDMI input that says ARC on the set and put it through my Marantz that is arc. However on the Q80r it only passes through Dolby so I'm going to have go direct to my AVR from my 4k player if I want DTS.
post #10 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 858
I have a TCL 6 series and ARC works great with my Onkyo receiver.

If you are having issues I recommend getting a streaming stick and not using the smart tv apps.
post #11 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by william273 View Post
Thanks Glock and Dave. I thinking yours "Dave" might be working seeing everything you have is Samsung. I was looking at the HWR550/ZA soundbar and wondered if it's similar to yours and if so how do you like it? I was thinking if I had a Samsung soundbar it might "click" with the TV and work with HDMI ARC. Having a Vizio and Polk soundbar might conflict with the TV which might be causing the problem.

That's the reason I got everything Samsung. ARC/CEC has issues when equipment from different manufacturers are used. And if you have issues each manufacturer will point at the other so good luck getting it resolved.
post #12 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
That's the reason I got everything Samsung. ARC/CEC has issues when equipment from different manufacturers are used. And if you have issues each manufacturer will point at the other so good luck getting it resolved.
Not a bad idea. I'm researching Blu-ray players and am learning about Sony's quirks in that department. Apparently Sony TV's DV likes Sony BDP DV.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #13 of 30 Old 05-23-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Both my LG C7 and my Samsung Q8FN introduce a massive amount of audio lag when passing Dolby audio. That especially sucks on the Q8FN because it wont pass DTS. The 950G had zero ARC issues, and even passed uncompressed 5.1 PCM to a non-eARC soundbar. No audio sync issues to speak of.
post #14 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well I bought the Samsung HWR550 2.1 sound bar and it's still doing the same thing. I bought a warranty with the TV and the service guy called yesterday. I told him about the flicker and audio/ video dropouts with HDMI ARC and he said he's never heard of that before....mmmm that kind of concerns me...not sure how I've heard of it but he hasn't. Anyway he said it sounds like a bad circuit board so he's ordering one and can install it at my place next week so that's where I'm at for now. The reason I want to use ARC is I can tell a difference in sound quality over Digital Optical....not that there's anything wrong with Digital Optical but I do notice a difference.

As for the new sound bar...I'm impressed even using Digital Optical. I didn't know a 2.1 system could sound this good. I could live with it as it is...not using ARC. As good as my Vizio 5.1 is this sounds even better....not sure how they manage that but it's true...I'm hearing things I never heard before on my other sound bars. Thanks for all the replies!
post #15 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
I'd imagine you've already done all of this as you said you've been researching on other forums.. but sometimes for ARC to work properly, you must enable or disable other settings in the TV such as CEC, etc. etc. Every brand has their own extra shiz that works/doesn't work with ARC. Also, be sure that the soundbar doesn't have some setting that needs to be changed. What's wrong with optical, anyway? Other than having the extra cable (ugly or no room), and also having to purchase the cable, which I totally get... I mean yeah it should work if it's supposed to. GL!

I can tell a difference in sound quality with HDMI ARC but with this new Samsung bar I could live with only Digital Optical but I'm still going get things checked out anyway. Thanks.
post #16 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
ARC works fine on all my Sony's. 900E/940E/950G. But I no longer use it except for one of my 900E's. If I had my way all my panels would be dumb, no apps, etc. I prefer the ATV.

I'm the same way and I don't use any apps or have an internet connection with the TV, no fire sticks or streaming...no nothing except an HD antenna and my bluray player. The more you have... the more that can go wrong. I'm going to get some pliers and a screwdriver and disconnect those apps on my TV.
post #17 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
ARC sucks. When it works, it works, and it's great. Then it decides not to work for no reason. IMO it's a cool bonus but not something I'd count on to reliably control a system.

Not a big deal if you are somewhat technically inclined and don't mind toggling CEC/ARC settings or power cycling once or thrice to regain proper sync, but I've learned my lesson in helping friends/family set up systems and leaving ARC on. It works until it doesn't. Optical works every time.

And I know I sound like a snob, but I think most using a soundbar would be hard-pressed to really discern the difference between HDMI and optical audio using tiny 2-3" drivers in a plastic housing (and I say this owning a Sony Z9F bar myself).

Don't mean to sound harsh, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a TV that does this 100% reliably.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|Peachtree DAC•iT|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2/SF Chameleon B|Marantz 1508|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #18 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
ARC sucks. When it works, it works, and it's great. Then it decides not to work for no reason. IMO it's a cool bonus but not something I'd count on to reliably control a system.

Not a big deal if you are somewhat technically inclined and don't mind toggling CEC/ARC settings or power cycling once or thrice to regain proper sync, but I've learned my lesson in helping friends/family set up systems and leaving ARC on. It works until it doesn't. Optical works every time.

And I know I sound like a snob, but I think most using a soundbar would be hard-pressed to really discern the difference between HDMI and optical audio using tiny 2-3" drivers in a plastic housing (and I say this owning a Sony Z9F bar myself).

Don't mean to sound harsh, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a TV that does this 100% reliably.

Yea...I pretty much agree but I do think I can tell a difference between ARC and Digital Optical but since I got this new Samsung soundbar and watching a few movies using Optical...I'm so impressed with the sound that ARC doesn't matter now...yea this bar is that good....to me. Most audio problems I've read about seem to be related to ARC. I've been using Optical for years and never had a problem until I tried ARC. I guess the ARC connection is bad on my TV and I just might cancel the service call and use Optical instead. I don't want to take a chance of the service tech taking the TV apart and causing more damage. Thanks.

Last edited by william273; 05-24-2019 at 04:32 AM.
post #19 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3170 Post(s)
Liked: 2205
Quote:
Yea...I pretty much agree but I do think I can tell a difference between ARC and Digital Optical but since I got this new Samsung soundbar and watching a few movies using Optical...I'm so impressed with the sound that ARC doesn't matter now...yea this bar is that good....to me. Most audio problems I've read about seem to be related to ARC. I've been using Optical for years and never had a problem until I tried ARC. I guess the ARC connection is bad on my TV and I just might cancel the service call and use Optical instead. I don't want to take a chance of the service tech taking the TV apart and causing more damage. Thanks.

There is no real difference in audio fidelity between ARC and Optical. Some ARC systems will allow for DD+ and lossy Atmos but that's about it. The main issue is not so much ARC it's the CEC component if your devices do not have separate control for each and ARC/CEC is on the same controller HDMI chipset. Some newer systems separate the options but ALL of your HDMI connected devices have to support that, and most still do not. The problem with CEC is the fact that it is not standardized so the device mfrs are free to implement that however they choose, and that can change even within the same mfr so using devices from the same mfr is not a guarantee that ARC/CEC will continue to work, especially if one of your devices receives an update. There are no firmware updates that can correct issues if they arise.

I don't bother with ARC/CEC so I have it disabled on all of my devices. I use an optical connection between my tv and receiver for discrete 5.1 audio from cable tv (local HDTV stations only) instead of ARC and don't bother with the SmartApps. All of my other devices go thru the receiver first so I am able to play any audio format presented regardless of source, like HD audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, lossless Atmos, etc). Streaming is accomplished via the ATV4k and a UHD/BD player is used for physical media.

For CEC I just use a programmable Harmony remote for single remote control of my HTS.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #20 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
Both my LG C7 and my Samsung Q8FN introduce a massive amount of audio lag when passing Dolby audio. That especially sucks on the Q8FN because it wont pass DTS. The 950G had zero ARC issues, and even passed uncompressed 5.1 PCM to a non-eARC soundbar. No audio sync issues to speak of.
Wait, you have an ARC device (not eARC) that is successfully receiving uncompressed 5.1 PCM via HDMI? How is that so? I thought ARC was limited to 5.1 DD/DTS or 2.0 PCM.

post #21 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well I bought the Samsung HWR550 2.1 sound bar and it's still doing the same thing. I bought a warranty with the TV and the service guy called yesterday. I told him about the flicker and audio/ video dropouts with HDMI ARC and he said he's never heard of that before....mmmm that kind of concerns me...not sure how I've heard of it but he hasn't. Anyway he said it sounds like a bad circuit board so he's ordering one and can install it at my place next week so that's where I'm at for now. The reason I want to use ARC is I can tell a difference in sound quality over Digital Optical....not that there's anything wrong with Digital Optical but I do notice a difference.

As for the new sound bar...I'm impressed even using Digital Optical. I didn't know a 2.1 system could sound this good. I could live with it as it is...not using ARC. As good as my Vizio 5.1 is this sounds even better....not sure how they manage that but it's true...I'm hearing things I never heard before on my other sound bars. Thanks for all the replies!
ARC vs. Optical should be the same. Any difference in sound quality must be due to the particular equipment being used.. I wonder if the DAC works differently with the HDMI controller vs. the optical controller, etc.

post #22 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I find if you buy a higher end tv AND a higher end receiver from the same manufacturer ARC works fine as they are designed to work together. (thinking Sony xbr900f and strdn1080).

mixing and matching manufacturers and issues appear because of the proprietary way they enable CEC and mix in the functionality of other features such as ARC.

just my enthusiast level observations,......

My ONLY gripe with ARC in my setup mentioned above is whenever using ARC (at least for built in apps) the receiver CANNOT display volume levels on the TV. This was confirmed by Sony.

Last edited by Michael Carton; 05-24-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Wait, you have an ARC device (not eARC) that is successfully receiving uncompressed 5.1 PCM via HDMI? How is that so? I thought ARC was limited to 5.1 DD/DTS or 2.0 PCM.

You are correct. Traditional ARC can not pass uncompressed audio (HD audio), that's why the only real difference between ARC and optical is the elimination of the optical cable, with the exception of lossy Atmos and possibly DD+ in some cases. eARC (part of the HDMI 2.1 hardware specifications) will allow for uncompressed audio (HDAudio, lossless Atmos, etc). It will be interesting to see how devices that have the HDMI hardware option sets for eARC will play with another device that does not have the eARC HDMI hardware option sets. eARC is not defined by HDMI 2.1 to be backwards compatible with ARC. Some device mfrs may produce products that are compatible with both but only time will tell which ones they are and if the device mfrs specifically list which HDMI 2.1 hardware options are available.

post #24 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carton View Post

My ONLY gripe with ARC in my setup mentioned above is whenever using ARC (at least for built in apps) the receiver CANNOT display volume levels on the TV. This was confirmed by Sony.

That's the CEC incompatibility issue. Happens even within the same mfr. Using the same mfr for your devices doesn't guarantee compatibility because even though it may be the same company (Sony for example), the tv's and receiver's are different divisions with their own R&D, goals, etc. You could try a Lindy CECless adapter to block the CEC commands and use a programmable remote like a Harmony for single remote control of your system. That seems to work for some so you can still use ARC.

post #25 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Unless the Sony display is capable of receiving a multi-channel PCM signal and sending it as Dolby (is this possible?), yes. That's what I'm saying.

Both my Xbox One and PS4 would recognize the display as able to receive uncompressed 5.1 when connected directly to the 950g via HDMI. Assuming my understanding of Windows 10 audio is correct, that platform would also allow me to toggle 5.1 and send to the display over HDMI. All of these would send 5.1 audio to my Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1 sound bar system via ARC HDMI.

eARC was toggled "off" on the Sony.

I don't know the magic behind it, but it was awesome, and practically lag free. I'm hating the audio lag coming through my Samsung.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
Unless the Sony display is capable of receiving a multi-channel PCM signal and sending it as Dolby (is this possible?), yes. That's what I'm saying.

Both my Xbox One and PS4 would recognize the display as able to receive uncompressed 5.1 when connected directly to the 950g via HDMI. Assuming my understanding of Windows 10 audio is correct, that platform would also allow me to toggle 5.1 and send to the display over HDMI. All of these would send 5.1 audio to my Vizio SB3651-E6 5.1 sound bar system via ARC HDMI.

eARC was toggled "off" on the Sony.

I don't know the magic behind it, but it was awesome, and practically lag free. I'm hating the audio lag coming through my Samsung.
My guess and assumption is that the Sony display device was taking the PCM 5.1 but then encoding it as DD/DTS 5.1 and then sending it via ARC to the soundbar. That's good to hear that the Sony not only could do that, but do it fast enough to not introduce any audio lag. Honestly, I'm surprised it worked at all. Lots of TV's are known for being lame about passing through audio. All that said, if it was me, I would go ahead and tell your source devices to just send DD/DTS instead of PCM, since you expect the ARC connection to be a bottleneck. That way, the TV doesn't have to do anything other than pass it through. Perhaps that would help with your lag issue on the Samsung?

post #27 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 104
My Sony 930e does ARC nicely with my Yamaha receiver, although my Yamaha does not support HDR so i route the audio to the reciever and video to the TV seperately. The side effect is every time i pause a movie the ARC on the TV somehow overrides the UHD player. But my yamaha is not as new as my TV so I will blame it over my beautiful TV.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #28 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
My guess and assumption is that the Sony display device was taking the PCM 5.1 but then encoding it as DD/DTS 5.1 and then sending it via ARC to the soundbar. That's good to hear that the Sony not only could do that, but do it fast enough to not introduce any audio lag. Honestly, I'm surprised it worked at all. Lots of TV's are known for being lame about passing through audio. All that said, if it was me, I would go ahead and tell your source devices to just send DD/DTS instead of PCM, since you expect the ARC connection to be a bottleneck. That way, the TV doesn't have to do anything other than pass it through. Perhaps that would help with your lag issue on the Samsung?
Sadly, no. It's Dolby, specifically, that lags when being passed through. The Sammy won't pass DTS at all for some (I'm sure, very stupid) reason.
post #29 of 30 Old 05-24-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Loving ARC here.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #30 of 30 Old 05-25-2019, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

There's something wrong with the ARC itself in my TV and didn't want to take any chances of screwing something else up when taking it apart so I cancelled the service call and will stick with the trusted Digital Optical. It's possible using different equipment could be making the difference I'm hearing...different sound bars. I got the Samsung HRW550 2.1 and am hearing things I never heard before on my Vizio 5.1 soundbar....it's really amazing and I'm not just saying that because it's a new setup...it really is amazing all the different subtle sounds and effects I never got with the Vizio. To be honest it could be the soundbar itself instead of ARC that's making the difference I hear but either way this Samsung bar is truly amazing...a whole new level of sound I haven't heard before...like moving from a 2.1 system to a real 5.1...yes it's that much of a difference and that Vizio was no slouch either...a very good 5.1 setup but this is even better and a 2.1 at that. I'm a happy camper now. Now I'm going to re watch all my blurays and 4Ks again for the first time. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page