Samsung JS8500 65" replacement. You guys are the experts I trust! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grimbor

post #1 of 7 Old 05-24-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Samsung JS8500 65" replacement. You guys are the experts I trust!

I got this TV about three years ago and was very happy with it, but during a move I accidentally put a tiny chip in the screen. Now it's all I can see.

Is there a 75" that can beat that TV now for under $2000? Or is there a 65" for under $2000 that can blow it out of the water? And if so what would you do? (its a small room dedicated to a 5.2 theater system. 65" is enough but can easily accommodate 75". It's about 6.5 feet from the TV when I'm watching a movie by myself. About 9.5 feet when for usual causal viewing.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Decide between size or PQ since you are limited to a 2K budget. Size wise, the SAMSUNG nu8000 82 inch is in your budget with recent box store sales. However, for pure picture quality, I'd hold off another few months until top new models from Vizio, TCL, and Hisense are competing at the 75" range. While I do not forsee the upcoming Vizio Quantum X 75" to drop within your budget, it will be a good yardstick for the others which will get close to your price range soon. My only recommendation is don't let a few hundred dollars limit your range of choices because just shy of top end today tends to be around $2300ish and would blow away that JS8500 as well as put to shame a JS9500. Even the current Vizio PQ 65" going to as low as around a grand blows away the JS9500 from 2015- destroys it PQ wise.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbor View Post
Decide between size or PQ since you are limited to a 2K budget. Size wise, the SAMSUNG nu8000 82 inch is in your budget with recent box store sales. However, for pure picture quality, I'd hold off another few months until top new models from Vizio, TCL, and Hisense are competing at the 75" range. While I do not forsee the upcoming Vizio Quantum X 75" to drop within your budget, it will be a good yardstick for the others which will get close to your price range soon. My only recommendation is don't let a few hundred dollars limit your range of choices because just shy of top end today tends to be around $2300ish and would blow away that JS8500 as well as put to shame a JS9500. Even the current Vizio PQ 65" going to as low as around a grand blows away the JS9500 from 2015- destroys it PQ wise.
Great insight, thanks! The Vizio P75 can be had for $1400 at Costco. Is that a worse picture then the JS8500? Also the TCL 6 series 65 in is only $800 right now and gets rave reviews from Cnet. If the picture on the TCL is even just a little bit better then the JS8500 then I might just go that route and save a lot of money. This is a dedicated room for movies and music. It's very small and mostly viewed when dark, so things like viewing angles and reflections don't matter at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
One other thing. You are viewing in a mostly dark room, therefore, look at OLED great found deals section because a 65" OLED from last year is well within your budget. Really, the only way you can decide is to get to a brick and mortar with a dark room and compare with your own eyes because this whole field is purely subjective. To many casual viewers, a perfectly calibrated reference screen will look dull and won't 'pop'. I personally prefer a bright screen and slightly unnaturally bright colors in a HDR movie and tend to still lean towards 3000 nit LCDs with lots of zones. If I was a sports fanatic or had only basic cable and was in a darker room, I would go with an OLED, they are superior to the best LCD on some fronts including blacks and motion.

I personally would go with the TCL over the Vizio P but I'd also either go with the smaller Vizio PQ 65" just for the vastly improved picture quality or wait a few months for a comparable quantum 75" to drop into your price range (which may well happen with a price war).
dapala likes this.

Last edited by Grimbor; 05-26-2019 at 06:01 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
You can also get a 65" OLED for under 2K. I'm also looking to replace my 65" js8500 but I'm holding out for 75". I'm leaning towards the 75" x900f which can be had for roughly 2300

Norm
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbor View Post
One other thing. You are viewing in a mostly dark room, therefore, look at OLED great found deals section because a 65" OLED from last year is well within your budget. Really, the only way you can decide is to get to a brick and mortar with a dark room and compare with your own eyes because this whole field is purely subjective. To many casual viewers, a perfectly calibrated reference screen will look dull and won't 'pop'. I personally prefer a bright screen and slightly unnaturally bright colors in a HDR movie and tend to still lean towards 3000 nit LCDs with lots of zones. If I was a sports fanatic or had only basic cable and was in a darker room, I would go with an OLED, they are superior to the best LCD on some fronts including blacks and motion.

I personally would go with the TCL over the Vizio P but I'd also either go with the smaller Vizio PQ 65" just for the vastly improved picture quality or wait a few months for a comparable quantum 75" to drop into your price range (which may well happen with a price war).
I'm looking for the Vizio PQ 65. I missed the Costco deal when it was $1200

I was doing some measuring, and in my small room a 75" would work but it would be pushing it. Bigger is always better but maybe in this case I should save money and go with picture quality. Like I said I was very very happy with my Samsung 65 and was not planing on upgrading, but that damn chip in the screen is infuriating.

I really want an OLED. Looks like a couple of the LG's can be had for as little as $1700, but I think they're too thin to support my center channel speaker. I have a nifty stand that sits atop a flat screen tv, but I think the OLED is so thin it won't work. I value the sound of my setup maybe a little more then the picture and I don't want to compromise the speaker placement.

And thank you guys for your suggestions. It makes my decision easier.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHowdy000 View Post
You can also get a 65" OLED for under 2K. I'm also looking to replace my 65" js8500 but I'm holding out for 75". I'm leaning towards the 75" x900f which can be had for roughly 2300

Norm
I have a 16lbs center speaker on a stand made to sit on top of flat screen tvs. I think the OLED would be too thin for that. I think I value the home theater sound just a bit more then the picture and I love the speaker placement as it is. But for sure I'd love one of those LG OLED sets for around $1700 right now. I'll see what my soulutions are, but I'm leaning to saving money and getting a Vizio PQ 65. Then I can upgrade when OLED tech gets super cheap in the next few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page