Upscaling video? I'm asking.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upscaling video? I'm asking....

My video collection consists of video ranging from 480p-1080p.

I see many 4k with so called great A.I. upscaling and others with upscaling engines.

I want to purchase a 4k tv this year....maybe next year, so far through, which brand of tv has great exceptional upscaling in today's market?

My current tv is not so good....at anything really....LeEcco Super4 X55, even on broadcast tv I see quite a bit of mosquito noise around text and of course watching anything it just isn't that great at all.

So this year or next I will want to upgrade, I have my eye on either a Hisense H8F or H9F 55".

Anybody know any good devices to that upgrades your video collection such as the Mcable or other add-ons devices....all input welcome and I am sure many of our low quality video people out their want to know as well, we need a better way to watch what we already have in this world that keeps on striving for bigger is better....for tv it's resotution.....thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked: 2771
Honestly, a 55" tv is too small to benefit from 4K vs 1080p anyway. You'll benefit from the enhanced contrast and HDR and it may seem sharper, but 4K you just have to be about 3 feet from a 55" tv to really see it. Upscaled 4K is worse than native 4K of course, so on a tv I would say this really isn't going to matter much either way.

On a projector on a big screen you can really start to see the differences. But even the you have to sit very close.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 4K I have now just isn't good at all, it is about to clunk out too, just about every time I turn it on it comes on to a black screen with audio, then I change the channel and back and it is good to go.

I did have the chance to use a Sony 900F and it made me realize some TVs have way better upscaling, that's why I opened the thread, just wondering what other TVs have better or great upscaling or even other devices that help improve our low quality videos....which their are a few things out their, but anyone with my kind of video library needs to know our options.

Yeah, I don't think their is much you can do, but their must be something out there that can help, even knowing which tv brand does the best in upscaling low quality videos is a real help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Smith View Post
My 4K I have now just isn't good at all, it is about to clunk out too, just about every time I turn it on it comes on to a black screen with audio, then I change the channel and back and it is good to go.

I did have the chance to use a Sony 900F and it made me realize some TVs have way better upscaling, that's why I opened the thread, just wondering what other TVs have better or great upscaling or even other devices that help improve our low quality videos....which their are a few things out their, but anyone with my kind of video library needs to know our options.

Yeah, I don't think their is much you can do, but their must be something out there that can help, even knowing which tv brand does the best in upscaling low quality videos is a real help.
Sony has generally very good processing with reality creation.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
In most cases playing lower resolution movies on a 4K screen the better solution for upscaling is the source itself. Sony vs Panasonic players, its up to you.

Cheers
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I'm trying to find a TV that works for what I use. Mainly gaming and sports over cable. Had a Sony X900F that was great, but reflection handling left a lot to be desired. I have a wall of windows behind my couch and it was a bit annoying. Brought it back to Best Buy and exchanged for Samsung Q80R. Reflection handling on this is great. However, when watching the NBA playoffs, the picture just seemed soft. Peoples faces looked blurry unless there was a closeup shot.

I'm guessing this is due to the upscaling of the cable signal. Not sure what to do now. Do I bring the Q80 back and try a X950G? I'd rather deal with some reflections than a subpar picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page