1Likes
  • 1 Post By golfster

post #1 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
PQ vs. Screen Size?

I assume budget ultimately dictates this, right? Here is my predicament.

I have a 55" Samsung KS8000. Nice tv. I want to increase size. My source is cable and I watch mainly sports.

The Sony 65" 900f looks good. It is an upgrade from what I have. The reviews are good and also good for sports and processing cable source for good pq.

The Vizio P75-F is a 75" is obviously is larger, but from what I've read, isn't as good as a tv. It doesn't upscale as well as Sony, and thus, the picture won't look as good from my cable source.

Now, my cable set top box does the conversion of output rather than the tv, if I set it to that is. So, if I set that to output in 1080p, would that in theory make up for the tv doing this on it's own and have the pq of the Vizio match that of the Sony?

Does that make sense? Or, is it essentially putting lipstick on a pig?

I am willing to spend $1600 give or take a few, and want something that won't suck with cable processing and is good for sports.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The TCL 617 75" is worth looking at considering you have no interest in top end HDR streaming or gaming. It has good blacks for a LCD and all the brightness needed and more for basic cable and will do a decent job on HDR material (compared to TVs putting out 2900 nits today). The only problem I forsee is if your basic cable enhances it's signal in the near future with 5G and offers inexpensive quality 4K HDR service by 2021, you may wished you'd have waited for a TCL 8 series micro-LED or a on sale 75" Vizio PQ X on Black Friday.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Sure, more money ultimately dictates more features and the latest technology. That said, at normal viewing distances, you may be hard pressed to see a difference in picture sharpness. A larger screen is more impressive than a marginally better TV IMO.
sk373 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Even though Sony has better processing and upscaling, if your main primary source is cable then it will still be lipstick on a pig. A heavily compressed 720p or 1080i picture will just not look very good upscaling to 4k (maybe even worse if your cable box first upscaled it to 1080p).

If you don't plan on going all in with 4k UHD and care for the absolute best and are trying to stick with budget, you're better off just going all in with SIZE. Going to 75" or even 65" is a big jump from 55".

Check out TCL 6 series for 65" budget TV, or stick with Sony for 75", like 900f if the prices dropped.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 1600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHawks View Post
I assume budget ultimately dictates this, right? Here is my predicament.

I have a 55" Samsung KS8000. Nice tv. I want to increase size. My source is cable and I watch mainly sports.

The Sony 65" 900f looks good. It is an upgrade from what I have. The reviews are good and also good for sports and processing cable source for good pq.

The Vizio P75-F is a 75" is obviously is larger, but from what I've read, isn't as good as a tv. It doesn't upscale as well as Sony, and thus, the picture won't look as good from my cable source.

Now, my cable set top box does the conversion of output rather than the tv, if I set it to that is. So, if I set that to output in 1080p, would that in theory make up for the tv doing this on it's own and have the pq of the Vizio match that of the Sony?

Does that make sense? Or, is it essentially putting lipstick on a pig?

I am willing to spend $1600 give or take a few, and want something that won't suck with cable processing and is good for sports.

Thanks for any input.
If we can extrapolate from the following link (Sony X900F vs Vizio PQ), Sony X900F would easily outperform Vizio P75-F in upscaling 480p and 720p content. Maybe to a lesser extent, 1080p. Interesting to note, Sony X900F has 60 local dimming zones, compared to Vizio P75-F's 120 and Vizio PQ's 192. Obviously, there's more going on.

Overall, the reviewer preferred the Vizio PQ, but that doesn't apply here since the PQ model is substantially above your budget. Hope this helps some. Good luck. Have fun.

https://www.tvreviewguy.com/sony-65%...vizio-pq65-f1/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page