1Likes
  • 1 Post By gvamp

post #1 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lg 65sm8600pua

First off let me say sorry if a topic for this set exists. I tried searching but couldn't find one. So any way my cousin recently got this set, Tuesday to be exact and we think he may have an issues with it. The biggest issue I noticed is that when he has the LED dimming turned on high the whole column where a light source is coming from will turn bright, however if you turn it to off it does it slightly. I was under the impression that you'd want it set to high so that only spots on the picture where light was coming from the led would turn on or do I have my information backwards.

The other issue is that when the TV is on standby mode and playing the screen saver is going it emits a humming noise. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be doing this or not. Any help on solving this would be appreciated.
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvamp View Post
First off let me say sorry if a topic for this set exists. I tried searching but couldn't find one. So any way my cousin recently got this set, Tuesday to be exact and we think he may have an issues with it. The biggest issue I noticed is that when he has the LED dimming turned on high the whole column where a light source is coming from will turn bright, however if you turn it to off it does it slightly. I was under the impression that you'd want it set to high so that only spots on the picture where light was coming from the led would turn on or do I have my information backwards.

The other issue is that when the TV is on standby mode and playing the screen saver is going it emits a humming noise. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be doing this or not. Any help on solving this would be appreciated.
Since around 2012 LG's edge lit local dimming has been pretty awful.

They used to have the led's mounted on the sides of the display and did a farely good job mimicking FALD.

Since then they have mounted them at the bottom of the display and though I heard they have 32 zones they control badly and will leave a big column of light from bottom to top of the display.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 06-01-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As far as the humming noise goes it could be the power supply or possibly a small fan on the processor on the main board.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
As far as the humming noise goes it could be the power supply or possibly a small fan on the processor on the main board.

The humming noise was a simple fix, my cousin didn't have the HDMI cable plugged in all the way. That also seemed to have fixed the light bleed column issue a little. It still does it but not as a bad as it was for before. Do you think that getting a new panel would solve this issue or is it something that he's just going to have to live with?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-02-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The humming noise was a simple fix, my cousin didn't have the HDMI cable plugged in all the way. That also seemed to have fixed the light bleed column issue a little. It still does it but not as a bad as it was for before. Do you think that getting a new panel would solve this issue or is it something that he's just going to have to live with?
Chances are it is likely an issues with the local dimming used by LG.
They use very few zones mounted at the bottom of the TV, so it will still show a light column vertically.

Now if this happens without content or can be seen on a sky or white background it could be a panel defect.
In those cases LG will likely say it is within tolerance, so he may just exchange it for a another SM8600. If the issue persist with the replacement than he should try a different set.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-02-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
Chances are it is likely an issues with the local dimming used by LG.
They use very few zones mounted at the bottom of the TV, so it will still show a light column vertically.

Now if this happens without content or can be seen on a sky or white background it could be a panel defect.
In those cases LG will likely say it is within tolerance, so he may just exchange it for a another SM8600. If the issue persist with the replacement than he should try a different set.

Thanks I'll let my cousin know. As far as I know it only does it on pure black backgrounds from what I've seen when there's actual color it doesn't do it. I know if he shuts off LED local dimming in the settings menu it doesn't do it. Is there any benefit to having it turned on? Like will it improve picture at all?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-02-2019, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks I'll let my cousin know. As far as I know it only does it on pure black backgrounds from what I've seen when there's actual color it doesn't do it. I know if he shuts off LED local dimming in the settings menu it doesn't do it. Is there any benefit to having it turned on? Like will it improve picture at all?
Most "true" HDR usually requires local dimming of some kind to help produce the bright highlights and achieve the deep blacks.
The IPS panel on the SM8600 is only 1182:1 contrast with a peak brightness of around 430ish.

As far as shutting it off it makes little difference to contrast (1172:1 without dimming and 1182:1 with dimming)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page