2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 358Likes

post #481 of 1508 Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post
I'm awaiting my delivery on Thursday. I have two questions for you.

1) As someone who will be watching only high quality content (4k Blu Ray's, dolby vision netflix, and ps 4 pro), will I be noticing as much banding as you saw? Or is this more of a problem with the lower quality content?

2) I believe you said you ended up going with an Oled. I am coming from an lg c8, which I'll still be using in my main living space. The 75px will be for my dedicated theater space. Anyhow, will I be greatly missing the blacks on my oled or does this set compare nicely in your opinion?
1) I just received my PX65 replacing my PQ65 and we watched Half blood prince in 4k. Mostly fine but banding (worst ofenders being circles/ovals that have basically concentric rainbow rings type of gradients) does happen and and the end credits it was fairly bad. Most of the time, cant really notice banding.I did miss with contrast, settings and all that and all it does is change the look and colors of gradients but does not resolve it. It could be my LG UHD player that does that also, who knows.

2) Blacks are inky and just shy of OLED like 90% of the time at least. Add any type of bias light and blacks are good 99.9% of the time. No problem

That being said, PX65 has better blacks, more punch and better highlights, color seems to me like it pops more and to top it off, this panel has way less DSE then my PQ65 did (but that's a lottery as we all know)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1508 Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
wait til you watch 4K! I Have the Dolby 4K demo disc.. amazing! and WOW!...

Can you specify which demo disc you are referring to? What is the best place to purchase it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oxyd722 likes this.
post #483 of 1508 Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
Can you specify which demo disc you are referring to? What is the best place to purchase it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 Dolby 4K disc
Not sold to the public. But you find them on eBay. Dolby vision and atmos demos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1508 Old 07-23-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2018 Dolby 4K disc
Not sold to the public. But you find them on eBay. Dolby vision and atmos demos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did a quick check and basically impossible to find.
Which demos are on there? I bet most of them we can download from dolby and other sources
Oxyd722 likes this.
post #485 of 1508 Old 07-23-2019, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have the 2019 P (not PX) and had the same issue. I think the problem is related to CEC issues over HDMI. I set mine to ARC only (turned off the power functionality) and it’s been working since then. I think what was happening was my cable box was sending a signal that the TV would sense and then turn on since HDMI has the ability to trigger the power. At least in my novice understanding of the settings that’s what I thought might’ve been happening. Going on almost a month now without it turning on in the middle of the night.

Quote:
my set might be possessed...

after goin to bed last night...
and i'm pretty sure everything was shut down...

this morning i wake up with the TV on... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

anyone else experience this?
post #486 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Still having a weird issue with my PX75. I play discs from a Panasonic UB820 UHD player. Dolby Vision UHD blurays play perfectly, but I can't say the same for HDR10 discs and SDR 1080P blurays At times, the screen will go black for a second or two, and the Vizio status bar will appear at the top of the display, as if the content is somehow changing. Sometimes, this will occur every few minutes, and other times, every 10-15 seconds. I tried a full factory reset of the UHD disc player, and was able to watch an HDR10 disc (Star Trek, 2009) for over an hour without the problem occurring. Later that same day, I tried to watch another HDR10 disc (Star Trek, Into Darkness) and the issue was happening every few seconds.

I've also tried a full factory reset on the PX75, and took my receiver (Anthem MRX720) out of the chain to rule it out as the cause.

I was previously using a Vizio P-series (2018, P75-F1) with the exact same setup player setup, and same cables, with no issues.

Last edited by bman2084; 07-24-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #487 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched Alita last night and it was pretty awesome!
Still not sure if it's the movie or it tends to be all disc based dolby vision but even in a dark room, most scenes were just too dark.
So im still debating which is best: increasing gamma to 2.1 instead of 2.2, crank up backlight to 75 or so, or maybe a bit of both? Which is best at making the overall picture brighter in DV (not sure if HDR is also too dark at 50 and 2.2) but without negative impacts elsewhere
post #488 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2084 View Post
Still having a weird issue with my PX75. I play discs from a Panasonic UB820 UHD player. Dolby Vision UHD blurays play perfectly, but I can't say the same for HDR10 discs and SDR 1080P blurays At times, the screen will go black for a second or two, and the Vizio status bar will appear at the top of the display, as if the content is somehow changing. Sometimes, this will occur every few minutes, and other times, every 10-15 seconds. I tried a full factory reset of the UHD disc player, and was able to watch an HDR10 disc (Star Trek, 2009) for over an hour without the problem occurring. Later that same day, I tried to watch another HDR10 disc (Star Trek, Into Darkness) and the issue was happening every few seconds.

I've also tried a full factory reset on the PX75, and took my receiver (Anthem MRX720) out of the chain to rule it out as the cause.

I was previously using a Vizio P-series (2018, P75-F1) with the exact same setup player setup, and same cables, with no issues.

I have the same UB820 connected..but I use the dual output..video connected directly to the PX75 and audio HDMI to Marantz SR8012.. and so far no issues with any disc I put in. I did have issues with video dropout when I had my P75-F1... but that was resolved by changing all my HDMI cables to MonoPrice Premium Certified cables.... since they are relatively cheap.. you may want to give Monoprice a try...
post #489 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that color banding can be caused by a few things other than the TV.
It seems pretty much confirmed that some UHD players actually cause banding. The TV possibly does it too but maybe not as much as we think, that makes it pretty hard to trouble shoot!

And I also just learned about those "secret" test patterns on Sony discs if you punch in 7669 on the movie menu. No idea if those patterns are HDR or Dolby vision though but could be useful to see if you have any clipping.
post #490 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2084 View Post
Still having a weird issue with my PX75. I play discs from a Panasonic UB820 UHD player. Dolby Vision UHD blurays play perfectly, but I can't say the same for HDR10 discs and SDR 1080P blurays At times, the screen will go black for a second or two, and the Vizio status bar will appear at the top of the display, as if the content is somehow changing. Sometimes, this will occur every few minutes, and other times, every 10-15 seconds. I zip tried a full factory reset of the UHD disc player, and was able to watch an HDR10 disc (Star Trek, 2009) for over an hour without the problem occurring. Later that same day, I tried to watch another HDR10 disc (Star Trek, Into Darkness) and the issue was happening every few seconds.

I experienced the same thing on my Samsung 4k player watching a 1080 p movie. The sound plays but the screen goes black for a second intermittently. It seems to have started happening after I turned on the deep color setting in my player but that could also be a coincidence but it never happened before that and all discs played fine before I turned that on even 4k. I've only had the TV since Sunday and watched plenty of movies through my player with no issues. It just did it yesterday.
post #491 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I have the same UB820 connected..but I use the dual output..video connected directly to the PX75 and audio HDMI to Marantz SR8012.. and so far no issues with any disc I put in. I did have issues with video dropout when I had my P75-F1... but that was resolved by changing all my HDMI cables to MonoPrice Premium Certified cables.... since they are relatively cheap.. you may want to give Monoprice a try...
Good to know, thanks! I've tried dual output with no success. I'll have to play with cables to see what happens. Currently, I have my UB820 about 30 feet away from the PX75, in a media closet. I'm using an active fiber optic HDMI cable, which worked just fine with my P75-F1. Very strange that Dolby Vision works without a hitch, as I would expect a DV signal to be higher bandwidth than SDR/HDR10, and therefor less tolerant of HDMI quality/bandwidth issues.
post #492 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1119
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that color banding can be caused by a few things other than the TV.

It seems pretty much confirmed that some UHD players actually cause banding. The TV possibly does it too but maybe not as much as we think, that makes it pretty hard to trouble shoot!

And I also just learned about those "secret" test patterns on Sony discs if you punch in 7669 on the movie menu. No idea if those patterns are HDR or Dolby vision though but could be useful to see if you have any clipping.
They are HDR10 patterns, but as you can see they are pretty limited to color saturation(709, 2020) and tone mapping patterns going up to 10,000 nits.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #493 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
First, I apologize for the long-winded post that follows.

Well, I bought the 65" from Costco on Saturday after reading the rtings review and figured that it was a pretty good gamble at that price.

I have a few questions though, and I am hoping someone that is familiar with this TV can help me.

A little background first. This is the first living room TV I have purchased in 11 years. My Samsung HL67A750 (LED DLP)'s DMD chip was going out and I figured it was time to replace rather than repair (I bought it in July, 2008). So far, I am not really missing the 2". My receiver is a Denon 4311CI hooked up for ARC to the TV's HDMI-1. I have an Xbox One (among other things) hooked up directly to the AVR. The last LCD TV I bought was a small 23" 720p Insignia that I had in my home gym at my old house. Prior to buying the Samsung, I had tried and returned a couple of 720P Vizio LCDs (a 37" and a 46?") that had build quality issues.

The TV is hooked up through both ethernet and WiFI (I had originally only set it up through a wired connection, but you cannot do smartcast from a mobile without WiFi). I tested the wired connection and it was at 74.56 Mbps. After hooking it up to both WiFi and ethernet, I still get 74.56 Mbps (so no change). My home has gigabit fiber. My home network uses an enterprise-grade router/firewall with POE access points. One of my office computers will get 890+ Mbps when doing speed tests, so I know my network is capable of near line speed. It's disappointing that the NIC is so slow in this.

So, right now, if I want to see anything 4k, it has to be either USB demos or through one of the apps.

Netflix dolby vision is cool, haven't streamed anything from Amazon in HDR, yet, and youtube HDR is pretty cool too.

What this television does well, it does really well. The colors, contrast, detail, and brightness are phenomenal, especially coming from an old set. However, the color banding is really distracting now that I have seen it. It's similar to when I bought my first DLP with a color wheel. It took a few days to see my first rainbow, but once I was susceptible to the RBE, I couldn't stop seeing it and the set had to go back (only extremely rarely was I able to see RBE on the LED DLP). I'm afraid that I'll end up focusing on the color banding on this set.

I have run into a couple of issues already with the set and I also have a couple of questions.

1. When watching youtube, the video "Bulgaria 8K HDR" will have lots of audio dropouts. Other videos from that youtube channel do not have this issue (there are some great 8K, 4K, and HDR videos on that channel). It happens every time I watch that video, but I do not have that issue with other videos or Netflix. I have only seen one other youtube video that has had dropout issues, but I cannot remember the name. Could anyone else try that video through the app and through an external 4k HDR streamer and let me know if they have issues? I don't have anything else that can play the 4K stream to test.

2. Plex has major stutters when watching a blu-ray. I have been working on ripping my media library to an old computer now relegated to a plex media server (nothing is downloaded from the internet and blu-rays are ripped with all English audio tracks and subtitles). When I use my xbox one to play a blu-ray tv show or movie, I do not have any issues. If I try to use the Vizio Plex App to play a blu-ray video, it will play for about 5 seconds then pause for a few milliseconds, then play, then pause. It shouldn't be buffering (I've seen that before if I was trying to use GDDU to help create an iso of an old DVD while trying to play a video on the xbox one). SD content will play fine through the Vizio Plex app. Has anyone else run into this?
2 a. The videos are ripped to MKV and then re-encoded to H.264 MKV in order to keep the lossless audio streams and subtitles, but at a significantly reduced size without sacrificing quality. I do not have any UHD discs to rip.

3. Because I have been out of the LCD television market so long, I'm not familiar with what is acceptable for DSE, vertical banding, or color banding. What is a good test for DSE? What about vertical banding (I see a little bit of it I think)? What degree of color banding is acceptable (and how do I test)?

4. Has anyone tried an Xbox One X with this? If so, is the lack of DV for the blu-ray player a noticeable issue?

Thanks again for the help.

Xbox Live: Nt1chr1st
PS3: Nt1chr1st
post #494 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf56 View Post
First, I apologize for the long-winded post that follows.

Well, I bought the 65" from Costco on Saturday after reading the rtings review and figured that it was a pretty good gamble at that price.

I have a few questions though, and I am hoping someone that is familiar with this TV can help me.

A little background first. This is the first living room TV I have purchased in 11 years. My Samsung HL67A750 (LED DLP)'s DMD chip was going out and I figured it was time to replace rather than repair (I bought it in July, 2008). So far, I am not really missing the 2". My receiver is a Denon 4311CI hooked up for ARC to the TV's HDMI-1. I have an Xbox One (among other things) hooked up directly to the AVR. The last LCD TV I bought was a small 23" 720p Insignia that I had in my home gym at my old house. Prior to buying the Samsung, I had tried and returned a couple of 720P Vizio LCDs (a 37" and a 46?") that had build quality issues.

The TV is hooked up through both ethernet and WiFI (I had originally only set it up through a wired connection, but you cannot do smartcast from a mobile without WiFi). I tested the wired connection and it was at 74.56 Mbps. After hooking it up to both WiFi and ethernet, I still get 74.56 Mbps (so no change). My home has gigabit fiber. My home network uses an enterprise-grade router/firewall with POE access points. One of my office computers will get 890+ Mbps when doing speed tests, so I know my network is capable of near line speed. It's disappointing that the NIC is so slow in this.

So, right now, if I want to see anything 4k, it has to be either USB demos or through one of the apps.

Netflix dolby vision is cool, haven't streamed anything from Amazon in HDR, yet, and youtube HDR is pretty cool too.

What this television does well, it does really well. The colors, contrast, detail, and brightness are phenomenal, especially coming from an old set. However, the color banding is really distracting now that I have seen it. It's similar to when I bought my first DLP with a color wheel. It took a few days to see my first rainbow, but once I was susceptible to the RBE, I couldn't stop seeing it and the set had to go back (only extremely rarely was I able to see RBE on the LED DLP). I'm afraid that I'll end up focusing on the color banding on this set.

I have run into a couple of issues already with the set and I also have a couple of questions.

1. When watching youtube, the video "Bulgaria 8K HDR" will have lots of audio dropouts. Other videos from that youtube channel do not have this issue (there are some great 8K, 4K, and HDR videos on that channel). It happens every time I watch that video, but I do not have that issue with other videos or Netflix. I have only seen one other youtube video that has had dropout issues, but I cannot remember the name. Could anyone else try that video through the app and through an external 4k HDR streamer and let me know if they have issues? I don't have anything else that can play the 4K stream to test.

2. Plex has major stutters when watching a blu-ray. I have been working on ripping my media library to an old computer now relegated to a plex media server (nothing is downloaded from the internet and blu-rays are ripped with all English audio tracks and subtitles). When I use my xbox one to play a blu-ray tv show or movie, I do not have any issues. If I try to use the Vizio Plex App to play a blu-ray video, it will play for about 5 seconds then pause for a few milliseconds, then play, then pause. It shouldn't be buffering (I've seen that before if I was trying to use GDDU to help create an iso of an old DVD while trying to play a video on the xbox one). SD content will play fine through the Vizio Plex app. Has anyone else run into this?
2 a. The videos are ripped to MKV and then re-encoded to H.264 MKV in order to keep the lossless audio streams and subtitles, but at a significantly reduced size without sacrificing quality. I do not have any UHD discs to rip.

3. Because I have been out of the LCD television market so long, I'm not familiar with what is acceptable for DSE, vertical banding, or color banding. What is a good test for DSE? What about vertical banding (I see a little bit of it I think)? What degree of color banding is acceptable (and how do I test)?

4. Has anyone tried an Xbox One X with this? If so, is the lack of DV for the blu-ray player a noticeable issue?

Thanks again for the help.
I can answer some of this:

Forget about the speed tests on the Vizios, they literally NEVER ever worked, always gives very low numbers. Try the speed test in the netflix app instead. For me, netflix gives speeds at least 3x faster.

You need a Plex guru to answer this but I know plex is a real PITA to setup properly.

I truly dont think there is a such a thing as a large LCD with no DSE at all. You always have some and the point is to have it be tolerable. Vertical bands are probably the worst and you want a panel that doesnt have that at least or very very subtle bars that are not clear cut.
Watch hockey, anything with snow, sand, blue sky and lots of panning from left to right. You will notice some sort of unevenness but as long as it is tolerable and unnoticeable 80% of the time or something like that. You will go nuts trying to find a panel without DSE. What you want is DSE to show up only occasionally.

Last edited by toonj64; 07-24-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #495 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I can answer some of this:

Forget about the speed tests on the Vizios, they literally NEVER ever worked, always gives very low numbers. Try the speed test in the netflix app instead. For me, netflix gives speeds at least 3x faster.
With my TV, Netflix only improved to 93.89 Mbps through the Netflix app (wired internet).

My computer on the same network reached 900 Mbps around the same time on the Netflix speed test site.

I know networks can change at a moment's notice, but the slow connection speed of the Vizio is consistent.

Quote:
You need a Plex guru to answer this but I know plex is a real PITA to setup properly.
I'm definitely not a Plex guru, but it took me a while before I could get my library to consistently load well without buffering on my Xbox One. I may just need to upgrade my media server's hardware. It may be that the mkvs are giving it trouble. I wish I knew so that I could eliminate TV hardware issues.

Quote:
I truly dont think there is a such a thing as a large LCD with no DSE at all. You always have some and the point is to have it be tolerable. Vertical bands are probably the worst and you want a panel that doesnt have that at least or very very subtle bars that are not clear cut.
Watch hockey, anything with snow, sand, blue sky and lots of panning from left to right. You will notice some sort of unevenness but as long as it is tolerable and unnoticeable 80% of the time or something like that. You will go nuts trying to find a panel without DSE. What you want is DSE to show up only occasionally.
The DSE didn't seem too bad when watching Our Planet on Netflix when there were sand or snow scenes. I did run some gradient test patterns (Mehanik's HDR10 test patterns) through the USB input though, and those looked awful. I'm not sure if those were color banding issues or DSE, or both. I really hope Vizio can reduce the color banding.

I hope someone else can test this video
on the Vizio app for audio dropouts. After watching it on the Vizio, it loses all of it's luster on the computer monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio TV Netflix test results.png
Views:	36
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2594256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Computer Netflix Speed results.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	2594258  

post #496 of 1508 Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With my TV, Netflix only improved to 93.89 Mbps through the Netflix app (wired internet).

My computer on the same network reached 900 Mbps around the same time on the Netflix speed test site.

I know networks can change at a moment's notice, but the slow connection speed of the Vizio is consistent.

Well even if it truly is 90, that's about 3x more than you need for 4K HDR on Netflix so you are perfectly good. Non issue.

I'm definitely not a Plex guru, but it took me a while before I could get my library to consistently load well without buffering on my Xbox One. I may just need to upgrade my media server's hardware. It may be that the mkvs are giving it trouble. I wish I knew so that I could eliminate TV hardware issues.

The DSE didn't seem too bad when watching Our Planet on Netflix when there were sand or snow scenes. I did run some gradient test patterns (Mehanik's HDR10 test patterns) through the USB input though, and those looked awful. I'm not sure if those were color banding issues or DSE, or both. I really hope Vizio can reduce the color banding.

Color banding is real but since it can come from content, from UHD player AND from TV, it's a bit of a hard nut to crack. No real fix on the Vizio end using settings but firmware should technically be able to fix most of it. Not sure what the real problem is but it seems to have to do with 8/10/12 bits between panel,firmware, external device and content.

I hope someone else can test this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-Jmq7BLFE on the Vizio app for audio dropouts. After watching it on the Vizio, it loses all of it's luster on the computer monitor.
I did watch that video and no audio issues but it barely ramps up to 4K on my network but it is in true HDR. Maybe you have enough speed for 8K and that causes a glitch??
post #497 of 1508 Old 07-25-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Received the TV. First thing I noticed was that unlike what rtings said, it DOES accept 1440p/60hz. I run my PC on HDMI 4, btw.

Also doing sharpness test patterns, I don't notice edge enhancement. Sharpness looks normal to me.

Next, Clear Action does works perfectly AS LONG long as you set it and don't adjust Active Full Array to Medium or High AFTERWARDS (Low AFA has proper CA/BFI no matter what). If you mess with AFA to Med or High, it will disengage Clear Action/BFI until you toggle CA back off and then back on. So if you're like me and use the BFI/Clear Action mode, always make sure to turn it off and back on if you mess with AFA.

Doing a side by side with the P65-C1, what a noticeable upgrade in contrast and black levels. It is REALLY impressive how dark the blacks get and how punchy it is. I was aiming for an LG C9, but I'm glad I got to experience the QX first, as I'm perfectly happy with this level of PQ for almost half the price.

Also noticed that clear action/BFI in HDR is still VERY bright, which wasn't the case with the P65-C1 back when the BFI worked properly.

So first impressions are very good. Things can change, but so far so good.

I do wish that HDR picture settings were separate from the SDR settings, though.

@DisplayCalNoob

Running test patterns, changing brightness to +1 immediately raises the black level to grey. It goes to perfect black as soon as I hit 50.
About "hdr picture settings separate from sdr picture settings" - can you not solve that by using and HDMI splitter(mirror)?
Especially if you have a compliant avr, can you not use a splitter from the avr output and mirror it into two different HDMI ports on the TV - thus separate settings for each port (hdr/sdr), then all u have to do, is switch the TV input to the desired HDMI port based on the material, hopefully a single button click if you are using a universal remote...
post #498 of 1508 Old 07-25-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 2179
Quote:
I hope someone else can test this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-Jmq7BLFE on the Vizio app for audio dropouts. After watching it on the Vizio, it loses all of it's luster on the computer monitor.
I looked at it on a 2018 PQ.

Using the Youtube app on the Display, I got dropouts towards the end (incredible visually). I did other 8K videos, and had no problem with them.

I switched to my Roku Ultra which is piped through my OPPO 203. I watched the video and there were no dropouts.

Both were HDR-10, 4K at 60 FPS. On the OPPO information display, it saw 4:2:2, 2 channel 48K audio and 12 bits.

My internet access is 1GBit / Comcast, wired connection to the display.

A couple of possibilities - the display may have a Youtube app that is not as good as the Roku's. The OPPO does process the stream before handing it to the display, so that may have played a role. The path through the Roku to the OPPO and then HDMI to the display may be more reliable than through the display's nic card.

Good luck, hope that helps. Have you tried just wireless? That may perform better.
post #499 of 1508 Old 07-25-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
About "hdr picture settings separate from sdr picture settings" - can you not solve that by using and HDMI splitter(mirror)?
Especially if you have a compliant avr, can you not use a splitter from the avr output and mirror it into two different HDMI ports on the TV - thus separate settings for each port (hdr/sdr), then all u have to do, is switch the TV input to the desired HDMI port based on the material, hopefully a single button click if you are using a universal remote...
I always get confused which settings are linked and which are not but backlight is separate for HDR and SDR even if you leave it at Calibrated at all times. If you switch gamma in SDR, it also switches in HDR which is a PITA. I think color is also independant between HDR and SDR.

Im sure someone here has the full list of what is separated in the settings and what isnt between SDR and HDR
post #500 of 1508 Old 07-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
@DanielOKeeffe

https://i.imgur.com/egywLKX.jpg

All you have to go is through the Nvidia control panel, and set the resolution there. If you do it under display settings, it may default to 30hz.

And yes, it will scale up to 4k, and the TV will see it as a 4k signal, though that shouldn't matter, considering it just means 1440p is being scaled by the gpu rather than by the TV itself which doesn't have a very good scaler to begin with. I don't see the merit of NEEDING the TV to read the 1440p signal itself.

But yeah, if you wanna be specific, the TV isn't picking up the 1440p signal, so perhaps that is what Rtings, meant. I hadn't considered that. Though what besides PCs need a 1440p signal? As long as the PC can send it in some form and the gpu scales it, I don't see the problem. I think the XBox One X has a 1440p option for people with 1440p monitors, though there's no benefit to be gained by choosing 1440p otherwise.
You're right that in your case it doesn't matter if the TV or the GPU scales, and you don't need to worry about the lack of 1440p support on the TV. There are other situations that this is important though (and we get questions about) - for example with an Xbox One X/S. When outputting 1440p you can often get a higher frame rate (eg. 60fps) than 4k which can be limited to 30fps for many games. Some graphics cards also won't perform the scaling (but this is getting less common).

Would it help if we added a note to the tooltip ( (?) icon) to make it more clear when people should care about it?
post #501 of 1508 Old 07-26-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I did watch that video and no audio issues but it barely ramps up to 4K on my network but it is in true HDR. Maybe you have enough speed for 8K and that causes a glitch??
Thanks for trying. It is the only one that does it for me. I could try to limit the bandwidth through the firewall, but I don't see any benefit to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I looked at it on a 2018 PQ.

Using the Youtube app on the Display, I got dropouts towards the end (incredible visually). I did other 8K videos, and had no problem with them.

I switched to my Roku Ultra which is piped through my OPPO 203. I watched the video and there were no dropouts.

Both were HDR-10, 4K at 60 FPS. On the OPPO information display, it saw 4:2:2, 2 channel 48K audio and 12 bits.

My internet access is 1GBit / Comcast, wired connection to the display.

A couple of possibilities - the display may have a Youtube app that is not as good as the Roku's. The OPPO does process the stream before handing it to the display, so that may have played a role. The path through the Roku to the OPPO and then HDMI to the display may be more reliable than through the display's nic card.

Good luck, hope that helps. Have you tried just wireless? That may perform better.
I'm glad to see it is not just my TV, even if we have different models, as it may be due to the app not being able to handle the high bandwidth available on the 8K streams. I think if that clip didn't have the audio dropouts, it would be a perfect demo for this set as the colors (and glimmer of the gold-colored buildings) are simply phenomenal and doesn't really show off any banding and the FALD lag is minimal. The other 8K videos just don't show off the pros of the set as well as that one.

I did try wireless only and still got the audio dropouts.

On the Plex side of things, I did figure some things out. Direct Play doesn't do me any good as the TV apparently does not handle MKVs. I can utilize the Direct Stream option (as I rip with both the lossless and any lossy audio, including any bonus commentary), but that did not stop the stuttering. However, when I deselected the subtitle stream from the MKV (I have the Plex server setup to automatically load the subtitles, if available), the HD video would play without issue. In Plex, if the subtitles are not burned in to the video, the Plex server has transcode the subtitles in. So, the stuttering was telling me this was my Plex server not keeping up with the transcoding. The weird thing is, I never had this issue with my Xbox One. So, I can play 1080p BluRay MKVs through the Vizio Plex app as long as I do not have the subtitles enabled. There was absolutely no issue with the SD MKVs even with subtitles enabled.

One last final thought. This TV off-gasses horribly. How long does it take before I can turn this on for a little while without smelling the TV?

post #502 of 1508 Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOKeeffe View Post
You're right that in your case it doesn't matter if the TV or the GPU scales, and you don't need to worry about the lack of 1440p support on the TV. There are other situations that this is important though (and we get questions about) - for example with an Xbox One X/S. When outputting 1440p you can often get a higher frame rate (eg. 60fps) than 4k which can be limited to 30fps for many games. Some graphics cards also won't perform the scaling (but this is getting less common).

Would it help if we added a note to the tooltip ( (?) icon) to make it more clear when people should care about it?
Nah, I think I pretty much got the reason after having made that post. There's gpu scaling and display scaling. It's not up to rtings or anyone else to let people know when the gpu can scale 1440p to 4k. But I guess all that is required is for it to say something like:

Native 1440p support: No, (Gpu scaling 1440p to 2160p signal required for 1440p content)

Mad Lust Envy
post #503 of 1508 Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Received my px65 today. Colors, contrast, and brightness are noticeably dull when Dolby Vision is enabled on my 4K Apple TV. UHD is enabled on HDMI 1. Anyone experiencing the same?
post #504 of 1508 Old 07-26-2019, 11:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal525 View Post
Received my px65 today. Colors, contrast, and brightness are noticeably dull when Dolby Vision is enabled on my 4K Apple TV. UHD is enabled on HDMI 1. Anyone experiencing the same?
I've had my PX65 for a couple of weeks and experienced the same thing. I change the gamma to 1.8 on Dolby Vision content that shows too dark and revert back to the "calibrated" setting on other content. Netflix's Stranger Things was very dark but Our Planet was incredible.
post #505 of 1508 Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal525 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarthur View Post
I've had my PX65 for a couple of weeks and experienced the same thing. I change the gamma to 1.8 on Dolby Vision content that shows too dark and revert back to the "calibrated" setting on other content. Netflix's Stranger Things was very dark but Our Planet was incredible.
Do you have Dolby Vision enabled at all times or are you using the matching dynamic range setting on the ATV4K. Its a common mistake that ATV4K owners make and then they blame the TV.

Also Stranger Things Season 1 is not in DV, in case you were evaluating that for DV darkness.
Oxyd722 likes this.
post #506 of 1508 Old 07-27-2019, 12:03 AM

Liked: 1
Woooow this TV is complete absolute garbage. I have had 3 this month alone. It flickers the screen on and off. I have it hooked up to my AV receiver. My cable box doesnt produce audio. When I finally do get it to work. If Full UHD Color is enabled, and I want to watch a 4k movie via my xbox, it flickers between whatever picture mode its on and its HDR10 counterpart. Nonstop, so I dont get an image on display.

If I turn off that particular feature then it goes back to normal, but it doesnt allow me to use HDR gaming. Its so god damn frusterating. My P65-C1 worked perfectly. I gave that Tv to my parents and I cant take it back. Woow, this is absolutel garbage. I want to kill myself from frustration. Why doesn't this POS just ****ing work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #507 of 1508 Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Do you have Dolby Vision enabled at all times or are you using the matching dynamic range setting on the ATV4K. Its a common mistake that ATV4K owners make and then they blame the TV.

Also Stranger Things Season 1 is not in DV, in case you were evaluating that for DV darkness.
You’re right my mistake ST it not a DV title. I do run the ATV4K with DV and match dynamic range and frame rate on. What settings do you recommend?
post #508 of 1508 Old 07-27-2019, 12:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Martinez View Post
Woooow this TV is complete absolute garbage. I have had 3 this month alone. It flickers the screen on and off. I have it hooked up to my AV receiver. My cable box doesnt produce audio. When I finally do get it to work. If Full UHD Color is enabled, and I want to watch a 4k movie via my xbox, it flickers between whatever picture mode its on and its HDR10 counterpart. Nonstop, so I dont get an image on display.

If I turn off that particular feature then it goes back to normal, but it doesnt allow me to use HDR gaming. Its so god damn frusterating. My P65-C1 worked perfectly. I gave that Tv to my parents and I cant take it back. Woow, this is absolutel garbage. I want to kill myself from frustration. Why doesn't this POS just ****ing work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) reseat HDMI cables 2) hard power reset of both the TV and any other item acting up ...boot them at the same time 3) factory reset the Vizio 4) call Vizio support
Ken McPherson likes this.
post #509 of 1508 Old 07-27-2019, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarthur View Post
You’re right my mistake ST it not a DV title. I do run the ATV4K with DV and match dynamic range and frame rate on. What settings do you recommend?
DV should be turned off. That is what the matching dynamic range setting is for.

The settings should be 4K SDR with both matching dynamic range and matching frame rate enabled. Give it a try and see if it eliminates your problem.
post #510 of 1508 Old 07-27-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
DV should be turned off. That is what the matching dynamic range setting is for.

The settings should be 4K SDR with both matching dynamic range and matching frame rate enabled. Give it a try and see if it eliminates your problem.
Wow you’re right. The content switches automatically. So the way I had it set I was forcing those settings on none DV content? I obviously had not known how these settings worked. Thanks!
PlanetAVS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page