2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 358Likes

post #571 of 1508 Old 08-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Nobody buys this TV for viewing angles. Almost every review for this TV explains it thoroughly. It is like you didn't look at a single review before buying or posting here. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but the viewing angles can't be improved as it is inherent with the panel technology.

I read and watched plenty of reviews. I didn't buy this TV for the viewing angles. I sit straight on when watching it and am not concerned with them. I was simplying stating something that I noticed and was curious if others saw the same thing. I am not "trying to accomplish" anything other than an intelligent response to my proposed question. It's like you didn't even read my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1508 Old 08-04-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
I read and watched plenty of reviews. I didn't buy this TV for the viewing angles. I sit straight on when watching it and am not concerned with them. I was simplying stating something that I noticed and was curious if others saw the same thing. I am not "trying to accomplish" anything other than an intelligent response to my proposed question. It's like you didn't even read my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well thank you for the redundant information. I'd say it was useful, but that would be a lie.

Demo mode has nothing to do with viewing angles. The viewing angle properties are related to the components. Demo mode is not a valid scientific way to test the viewing angles. Reviewers use scientific measuring tools to calculate the deviation from accuracy when viewing at increasing angles.

Last edited by skschatzman; 08-04-2019 at 01:23 PM.
post #573 of 1508 Old 08-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I went and saw both the 75 and 65 and the one thing that nobody mentioned was that both these sets seem to have a staggered subpixel structure. It made the picture look more grainy than the c9 or the 850g. Can anyone who has one of these at home comment? I was looking to try one out but was turned off by that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1508 Old 08-05-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry michii View Post
I went and saw both the 75 and 65 and the one thing that nobody mentioned was that both these sets seem to have a staggered subpixel structure. It made the picture look more grainy than the c9 or the 850g. Can anyone who has one of these at home comment? I was looking to try one out but was turned off by that.
Doesn't appear to be the case in the Ratings review:

https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/...xels-large.jpg
post #575 of 1508 Old 08-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I picked up a PX75-G1 from the local Costco this weekend to replace an old 60" 1080p Sharp LED.

So far I'm very pleased with the picture quality, the brightness and pop is just unreal! As others have mentioned, the SmartCast interface is a little bit slow, but I don't think I'll be using it very much.

Out of the box, the TV was running v2.1.9.1
post #576 of 1508 Old 08-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
Could you PM me your serial number and I can look into this for you.
Are you planning to respond back via PM or this thread with why we are stuck on 2.1.6.3, i pmd you 5 days ago and have heard nothing from you.

On another note, does anyone know if they have released smartcast 3.0 with their most current software release?
toonj64 likes this.
post #577 of 1508 Old 08-05-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey everyone, new owner of a 65 PQX and I gotta say, this thing blows me away! Not sure if I got lucky with my panel or I’m just not as picky as other but I spent about 5 hours with it yesterday throwing all sorts of demo material at it and tinkering with factory presets and it is amazing! I got it from Costco, who doesn’t even have it on their site but they had a batch in store (not even sure if the price was right...) I had ordered the 75 the day before from sams club’s one day sale but decided to suck it up and take the hit on size for now and save myself over half from the price on the 75. I haven’t done any sort of calibration yet and all my demo material was 4k/HDR. To me, blacks are on par with what I’ve seen on OLED demos at the store but the color and brightness on this set take it to a whole different level! I tried several Xbox One X and PS4 Pro games and was pretty stunned with the picture. Playing God Of War, my friend said “I’ve never seen the metal on his weapons look so real and shiny and fire and sparks and transitioning from inside to outside can make you squint. I told him about peoples complaints of color banding, halos and flickering and neither of us couldn’t spot anything worth complaining about, especially at this price point. Out of about 8 five to six minute YouTube videos we caught about 15 seconds total or light color banding and he said he would never have noticed it unless I pointed it out. Halos are there but far from a deal breaker for me, the only times I really saw it was on loading screens and subtitles, aside from that, never saw it with any real movie or gaming shots. Zero flickering for me between YouTube, Xbox, PlayStation games and 4k blu rays off the One X. Just wanted to drop my first night experience for you guys
smarthur likes this.
post #578 of 1508 Old 08-05-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Lol. Common response. This couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not praising Vizio, but they are one of the top selling TV manufacturers in the US when comparing total units sold. Also when supply does not keep up with demand, businesses lose money. Why would they intentionally limit stock and force thousands of people to wait weeks or months before filling stock? They wouldn't because people are impatient and will choose a different model. I can't wait to see what you will make up next.
Both Costco and Sams Club were selling the TV at huge discounts this past weekend. 2 Costco's I went to had decent stock.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65C8
Vizio P65
LG 55EA9800
post #579 of 1508 Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclfoxtrot View Post
Both Costco and Sams Club were selling the TV at huge discounts this past weekend. 2 Costco's I went to had decent stock.
Discounts are quite normal with all TV brands and models. Especially this time of year. This is quite normal with all tech, not just TVs. Stock can vary depending on when the store receives them and when they stock shelves. It doesn't negate the fact this TV is a hot seller. Circumstantial at best.
post #580 of 1508 Old 08-06-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Are you planning to respond back via PM or this thread with why we are stuck on 2.1.6.3, i pmd you 5 days ago and have heard nothing from you.

On another note, does anyone know if they have released smartcast 3.0 with their most current software release?
Im assuming that is why we cant cast Prime video to these Vizios right?
post #581 of 1508 Old 08-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post

Im assuming that is why we cant cast Prime video to these Vizios right?
I can't be sure, but imo that would be my assumption as well 😞
post #582 of 1508 Old 08-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 107
anyone receive the new Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit update?

I read Vizio has started to roll the new firmware out...
post #583 of 1508 Old 08-06-2019, 03:46 PM

I finally received a response from Vizio in regards to my firmware version 2.1.6.3 and the inability of the TV to update to 2.1.71...here is Vizio rep response...

"This serial number will not receive the 2.1.7.1 firmware. The current version of firmware you have was cut in during production and the improvements made in 2.1.7.1 were not significant enough to update these models. One the Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit firmware is released your television will then have the same firmware version as all other PX models."

I gotta be honest, that kinda sucks...it seems other people can cast Amazon app and I cannot due to my firmware and that's just one feature I'm missing that is semi-important to me

Still, I am enjoying the TV and have no real complaints...other TV manufacturers should take a page from Vizio in regards to their Android app, the ability to change all the picture settings in real time is simply amazing and its quite addicting for better or worse
toonj64 likes this.
post #584 of 1508 Old 08-06-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
I finally received a response from Vizio in regards to my firmware version 2.1.6.3 and the inability of the TV to update to 2.1.71...here is Vizio rep response...

"This serial number will not receive the 2.1.7.1 firmware. The current version of firmware you have was cut in during production and the improvements made in 2.1.7.1 were not significant enough to update these models. One the Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit firmware is released your television will then have the same firmware version as all other PX models."

I gotta be honest, that kinda sucks...it seems other people can cast Amazon app and I cannot due to my firmware and that's just one feature I'm missing that is semi-important to me

Still, I am enjoying the TV and have no real complaints...other TV manufacturers should take a page from Vizio in regards to their Android app, the ability to change all the picture settings in real time is simply amazing and its quite addicting for better or worse
Well, that answers it!

Im seeing more and more horrible gradient banding, mostly in oval shapes in darkish gray backgrounds / skies but I am sure most of that is due to streaming. Problem is, I also see some of it on UHD discs and according to Vizio, there is no banding issue on their TVs (so no changes to firmware). There are some reports that my LG UHD player also causes banding.

Has anyone been using an Xbox or oppo or sony or any UHD player and NOT experience banding at all? Seems like a compounding issue
post #585 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
anyone receive the new Apple Airplay 2 and Homekit update?

I read Vizio has started to roll the new firmware out...
My PX65 just got the update on Monday. Airplay 2 and Homekit work flawlessly! It's awesome in fact, as an Apple ecosystem user with many Homekit accessories. It asks if you want to setup Homekit and then displays a QR code right on the screen to scan.

Unfortunately, Smartcast 3.0 doesn't really seem all that much faster. I haven't spent much time with it though since I use Apple TV 99% of the time. Youtube HDR being the exception mainly.

Vizio PX65 - Sonos 5.1 - ATV 4K
Samsung Q8FN - Sonos 5.1 - ATV 4K
post #586 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 909
2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk

When using AirPlay to play my iTunes movies it will playback Dolby Vision just fine but will not give me ATMOS or even DD+. I only get standard DD with everything. Is this a limitation of AirPlay or is it something on Vizio’s end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #587 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Patiently waiting for my 75". Hopefully should get it by Friday. Costco.ca reduced the price today....and I had to file a price adjustment even before getting the tv. I see the US Costco price is the lowest US price I have seen online. I am hoping I win the lottery with no uniformity deal breaking issues.
post #588 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hey everyone! I’m trying to decide between this tv, the X950G, or going with the Q80R. I REALLY want a bigger tv than the 55” I have now and I especially wanted one that had Dolby Vision. I know that normally would get rid of the Q80R right off the bat, but it’s gotten such good reviews and rating on rtings.com. The next best, to me, looks to be this Vizio Quantum X. Sams Club and Costco both have it on a major discount right now too.

So I guess my real question here, is if this tv is worth it? Is the banding that horrific on them? And is the backlighting not as good as I’ve seen people here complain of? Because rtings gave this tv pretty high marks
post #589 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
FYI:

It appears that SMARTCAST on two different models of Vizio appear to not like my wifi signal, or there is some other sort of service issue impacting video quality when streaming using the television's native apps for Amazon Prime and VUDU.

I am having SMARTCAST issues with both a 2018 Vizio PQ65-G1 and the 2019 Vizio PX75-G1 quantum tv where they rarely stream in 4K, but rather 480p to 720p to 1080p in a gradual step-up fashion when watching Amazon Prime or VUDU through it. The Fire Tv 4K and Roku Ultra 4K's I have stream 4k HDR content just fine.

The feature gap that I have right now is seeing purchased VUDU content in 4k with Dolby Vision since neither the Roku Ultra or the Fire Stick 4k support Vudu with Dolby Vision.
post #590 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Patiently waiting for my 75". Hopefully should get it by Friday. Costco.ca reduced the price today....and I had to file a price adjustment even before getting the tv. I see the US Costco price is the lowest US price I have seen online. I am hoping I win the lottery with no uniformity deal breaking issues.

Thanks for posting this. I just checked Costco.com and put in for a price adjustment as well. I have had my 75” for a week and am loving it. Good luck with your delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #591 of 1508 Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpyak View Post
FYI:

It appears that SMARTCAST on two different models of Vizio appear to not like my wifi signal, or there is some other sort of service issue impacting video quality when streaming using the television's native apps for Amazon Prime and VUDU.

I am having SMARTCAST issues with both a 2018 Vizio PQ65-G1 and the 2019 Vizio PX75-G1 quantum tv where they rarely stream in 4K, but rather 480p to 720p to 1080p in a gradual step-up fashion when watching Amazon Prime or VUDU through it. The Fire Tv 4K and Roku Ultra 4K's I have stream 4k HDR content just fine.

The feature gap that I have right now is seeing purchased VUDU content in 4k with Dolby Vision since neither the Roku Ultra or the Fire Stick 4k support Vudu with Dolby Vision.
FYI:

Smartcast is a web OS and does not effect streaming quality. Service providers create and update the web API for their own services. If there are issues with their platform then it is on them to fix it.

With that said I own the 2018 PQ and have zero issues streaming content at native resolution. If the content is 4k then the TV will stream at 4k. Odds are your issue is local and you will have to troubleshoot it.

VUDU on smartcast has a settings menu and resolution option. Make sure you check that. A majority of the time there is one or more misconfigured network setting with the TV or modem/router. Some Vizio models are preconfigured with Google DNS. If the DNS is not set to your router IP, then that might cause issues.

Was there a firmware update recently with your modem/router? If so then try rebooting your network. In some situations an updated network device can have conflicting stored data. In that case a factory reset of the TV and/or network device is the only remedy.

Last edited by skschatzman; 08-07-2019 at 11:23 PM.
post #592 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
Thanks for posting this. I just checked Costco.com and put in for a price adjustment as well. I have had my 75” for a week and am loving it. Good luck with your delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, I hope I get a good one. If there is an issue, I may try a second unit.....the price is too good to resist.
post #593 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
got mine from Costco 3 weeks ago...
no issues.. incredible picture..
now just waiting for my price adjustment..
post #594 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I was ready to upgrade my Samsung 75NU8000 to the 75 PQX but decided to run a test first comparing my current Vizio 65 PQ to my Samsung. Since the first P series C I had, I read issues with The FALD algorithm actually dims specular highlight such as star field. Using the following Youtube video time mark at 59 seconds I noticed how dim was the star field on my Vizio PQ while the Samsung without a FALD dimming retained the brightness of the stars on top of the black space background. I turned off the PQ dimming and that made the stars brighter but the space background was gray at best. That made me think maybe I should NOT upgrade to the PQX. Now, it is possible that the PQX algorithm is different. Can any of you good people try this and let me know before I make the jump?
I am also attaching the slides showing the issue.
Thank you in advanced.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio PQ FALD dimming set to med.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	902.0 KB
ID:	2600594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio PQ FALD Dimming off space looks gray in real time.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2600596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung 75NU8000 edgelit .jpg
Views:	60
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	2600598  

Last edited by meduzadg; 08-08-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #595 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
I was ready to upgrade my Samsung 75NU8000 to the 75 PQX but decided to run a test first comparing my current Vizio 65 PQ to my Samsung. Since the first P series C I had, I read issues with The FALD algorithm actually dims specular highlight such as star field. Using the following Youtube video time mark at 59 seconds I noticed how dim was the star field on my Vizio PQ while the Samsung without a FALD dimming retained the brightness of the stars on top of the black space background. I turned off the PQ dimming and that made the stars brighter but the space background was gray at best. That made me think maybe I should NOT upgrade to the PQX. Now, it is possible that the PQX algorithm is different. Can any of you good people try this and let me know before I make the jump?

Thank you in advanced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOdEkRDJ_EA
Something doesn't make sense here.

There is no way a non-OLED/Plasma TV with local dimming off can maintain star brightness and black background simultaneously. Last time I checked Samsung doesn't make consumer OLED TVs. You may want to recheck your test method.

Some calibration tweaking may be needed to improve star brightness performance.
Schwa likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 08-08-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #596 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1119
Quote:

Thank you in advanced.

You could adjust the backlight up, keep in mind, that doing so lifts the entire EOTF. That would affect the tone mapping, of 4000 nit content, which is mostly WB and Sony content.

You can try saving a picture mode just for other non 4000 nit content, (Fox, Disney, Paramount, Universal, Lionsgate, and Netflix) with stock backlight settings.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
post #597 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Something doesn't make sense here.

There is no way a non-OLED/Plasma TV with local dimming off can maintain star brightness and black background simultaneously. Last time I checked Samsung doesn't make consumer OLED TVs. You may want to recheck your test method.

Some calibration tweaking may be needed to improve star brightness performance.
Not much of test method.....All I did was to find the spot on the video that shows the star field, set the tvs to dimming on, off and take some photos to show it. The Samsung was a winner in my opinion although not as bright as the PQ but the star field was much brighter while maintaining a black background. The Samsung actually looked better in real time while at the same time the PQ with its local dimming off the background looked grayer. Strange. The photos I attached show this issue without using alternations to the images. I can try different settings on the PQ but this video from You tube is HDR and I did not want to alter the settings too much. Let me know if you have any suggestion to get the highlight brighter on the PQ. Thank you skschatzman!
post #598 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not much of test method.....All I did was to find the spot on the video that shows the star field, set the tvs to dimming on, off and take some photos to show it. The Samsung was a winner in my opinion although not as bright as the PQ but the star field was much brighter while maintaining a black background. The Samsung actually looked better in real time while at the same time the PQ with its local dimming off the background looked grayer. Strange. The photos I attached show this issue without using alternations to the images. I can try different settings on the PQ but this video from You tube is HDR and I did not want to alter the settings too much. Let me know if you have any suggestion to get the highlight brighter on the PQ. Thank you skschatzman!
Even if I were to agree that the samsung looks better, that would be in this very specific situation. So what's the point? Are you going to watch star fields 80% of the time?
And HDR can be very weird some times. It's not because it looks like this in THIS video that the TV can't look better. Im convinced I could find you an HDR star field with way brighter stars.

Anyway, what im saying is that this assessment of yours is moot and pointless.
post #599 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
What did you use to take the pictures? They seem to be of different resolutions...
post #600 of 1508 Old 08-08-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:

Thank you in advanced.

Did you try Local Dimming On High? I don’t recommend normally but in your case it seems that the stars being bright is the biggest priority, LD on High should give you that but it will raise the black levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page