2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 363Likes

post #751 of 1571 Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I am returning my 75 inch. I only had it up for 3 or 4 days and now it is boxed up waiting for pick-up. Great looking unit except for a few issues. I can see the lighting system big time on certain scenes ....... a real good demo is to start looking at the Aquaman 4k disc starting at 37:40 into the movie.......so obvious as the camera pans around the characters standing on the cliff. When I first saw this I went and tried the same scene on my P65-C1 and could not see the lighting system/jail bars at all.

I was also getting lots of dropouts where the picture would just go black for a second or two with my Oppo 203 (tried different cables etc). Then tried the Oppo with my other TV's.........and it worked perfectly just like it always has.

These jail bars are far too obvious for me and my P65-C1 is far superior in this area (can just see the slightest hint on a hockey game with the contrast and brightness turned too high). I may check out the TCL 75" 8 series, hopefully it is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
You can cast media on local network storage to the TV from a mobile device.
Does that use an app on the TV, or does it use something like Kodi?
post #753 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
you can wirelessly stream to the TV via Apple Airplay or Google.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
I am returning my 75 inch. I only had it up for 3 or 4 days and now it is boxed up waiting for pick-up. Great looking unit except for a few issues. I can see the lighting system big time on certain scenes ....... a real good demo is to start looking at the Aquaman 4k disc starting at 37:40 into the movie.......so obvious as the camera pans around the characters standing on the cliff. When I first saw this I went and tried the same scene on my P65-C1 and could not see the lighting system/jail bars at all.

I was also getting lots of dropouts where the picture would just go black for a second or two with my Oppo 203 (tried different cables etc). Then tried the Oppo with my other TV's.........and it worked perfectly just like it always has.

These jail bars are far too obvious for me and my P65-C1 is far superior in this area (can just see the slightest hint on a hockey game with the contrast and brightness turned too high). I may check out the TCL 75" 8 series, hopefully it is better.
Yeah, as I mentioned, I can see the vertical bands during panning shots as well.
Based on my sample size of 1 (i.e. my tv) I am hoping that this can be fixed/improved with software.
Last year on the p75-f1 I could easily see the "jailbars" in some static content as well as the built-in uniformity screens.
On the px75 the uniformity screens look great and i can only see the bands in panning shots, so I am hoping it can be fixed with software, but of course that is just a guess.

For that much money, if you aren't happy with the tv, u should definitely return it - the TVs should be better to begin with...
post #755 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2839 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
There are many apps in the Google Play / Apple store that can stream media from local network storage. Do some research.
post #756 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
There are many apps in the Google Play / Apple store that can stream media from local network storage. Do some research.
I realize that. Does the TV have Google play?
post #757 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I realize that. Does the TV have Google play?
No. You need to use your mobile device and cast to the TV.
post #758 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just picked up a PX75 from the local Costco, after my nephew put a nice crack in the screen of my 75" X850E. Tough to stomach, but the current Costco deal is very appealing. BTW, it expires on the 22nd, if anyone else is on the fence.

So far, I have been very impressed. The X850E struggled with "The Long Night" episode of the last season of GoT. Shadows were very washed out, and blacks were not uniform. I rewatched it again last night, and this TV is a significant improvement. Granted, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Is there a calibration thread anywhere? If not, does anyone mind sharing their settings? I am watching TV in a extremely dark room, it is a finished area of my basement with minimal light sources, unless I have the overhead lights on. With the TV going, and the Medialights bias lighting installed, I don't plan to ever have the lights on if I am watching the TV.

I have a PS4 Pro running through HDMI 1, since I use that primarily for Playstation Vue, Netflix, and Blu-Ray. My Xbox One X is running through HDMI 5, with Low Latency mode turned on. I use the Xbox almost entirely for gaming. Is this the set up you guys would recommend? I have Full UHD enabled on both inputs.

Is the picture quality going to be better if I use the onboard apps, rather than streaming through the PS4 or Xbox? I think that is some of the points made in this thread, but I am too much of a newbie to really understand. Unfortunately, Vue is my main TV service, and Vizio doesn't have an onboard app for it.
post #759 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
No. You need to use your mobile device and cast to the TV.
That is true, but you can also cast using your voice, if you have a Google Home or other enabled device. Just need to set the screen up in the Google Home App. Of course, you have to also get lucky enough for the Google Home to understand what you meant.

Also, I know there was some talk of version numbers. My TV downloaded an update last night, it is on 3.0.8.2-1.
post #760 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
That is true, but you can also cast using your voice, if you have a Google Home or other enabled device. Just need to set the screen up in the Google Home App. Of course, you have to also get lucky enough for the Google Home to understand what you meant.

Also, I know there was some talk of version numbers. My TV downloaded an update last night, it is on 3.0.8.2-1.
Speaking of version updates, has anyone updated their firmware and seen an improvement on the gradient banding?
post #761 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't believe there is a capability to cast with voice for local network stored media.
post #762 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
Yeah, as I mentioned, I can see the vertical bands during panning shots as well.
Based on my sample size of 1 (i.e. my tv) I am hoping that this can be fixed/improved with software.
Last year on the p75-f1 I could easily see the "jailbars" in some static content as well as the built-in uniformity screens.
On the px75 the uniformity screens look great and i can only see the bands in panning shots, so I am hoping it can be fixed with software, but of course that is just a guess.

For that much money, if you aren't happy with the tv, u should definitely return it - the TVs should be better to begin with...
jailbars are a physical thing and part of the panel lottery, so software can't fixed that ever
post #763 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Speaking of version updates, has anyone updated their firmware and seen an improvement on the gradient banding?
Vizio apparently has no acknowledgment of banding/gradient issues.
So it is hard to say since a fair bit of gradient banding is the source, especially streaming (ive seen the same gradients on my phone)
But what I think I see (could be placebo), is that the banding gradients are still there but they are blended a bit more, the lines are not as clear and "pixely".
Im not too bothered by it in general.
post #764 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Vizio apparently has no acknowledgment of banding/gradient issues.
So it is hard to say since a fair bit of gradient banding is the source, especially streaming (ive seen the same gradients on my phone)
But what I think I see (could be placebo), is that the banding gradients are still there but they are blended a bit more, the lines are not as clear and "pixely".
Im not too bothered by it in general.

Good to hear. The mfg is never going to admit to weaknesses, unless they are outright bugs. I believe that the 2018 Quantum had a firmware update that improved (but not eliminated) banding, so what you're reporting would be consistent with what could be expected.
post #765 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

Very disheartening. My 75 arrives Friday.
post #766 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
jailbars are a physical thing and part of the panel lottery, so software can't fixed that ever
I didn't say I have "jailbars".
I don't think I have "jailbars".
Why do you think I have "jailbars"?
post #767 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Do you have any examples ( 4k bluray timestamps) that I can check for gradient banding?
Better give me a few, since my collection is wip....
post #768 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post

I've had the TV for a week now & have watched a mix of content - standard def DVDs, blu-rays and 4K/HDR. I am going to update some of the pros & cons as I have found settings that appear to have improved some of the issues.

However, gradient banding still shows to be a weakness, albeit I now think it is highly dependent on the quality of the content.

For example - Snoke's Room scene in The Last Jedi has absolutely horrible gradient issues. But I've yet to see any other content display the same degree of banding that this scene/movie does. It could be that I watched it on Netflix, as I know this movie is considered reference quality - but I doubt that as I have seen internet commentary about that particular scene showing gradients.

Cons:
[LIST]
[*]Update to gradients/banding/posterization - I have watched a LOT of content at this point & so far, Snoke's Room & some scenes in Bladerunner: 2049 had gradient issues. Cable content has gradient issues, even on newer content (Killing Eve has lots of this, but when I watched Silver Bullet - a 1985 film - there was none. What We Do in the Shadows looks great.) Could be highly dependent on quality of content & broadcast signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
Do you have any examples ( 4k bluray timestamps) that I can check for gradient banding?
Better give me a few, since my collection is wip....
I'll defer to the OP, who mentioned in his first post above gradient issues. He mentions Blade Runner 2049 but no specific time in the movie

Coincidentally, Rtngs just updated their review yesterday and they're reporting that the new firmware improves banding but not significantly. Which answers my question but YMMV.
post #769 of 1571 Old 08-20-2019, 09:03 PM

I also noticed rtings shows a different remote. Mine from Costco cam with a very heavy nice metal remote, not the black plastic one in their review.
post #770 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I also noticed rtings shows a different remote. Mine from Costco cam with a very heavy nice metal remote, not the black plastic one in their review.

I got mine from Costco through online and delivery and it has the black plastic remote. Can we get a picture of your remote? Model # on the remote?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
toonj64 likes this.
post #771 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The one I got from Costco in-store about a week ago came with a black plastic remote. I'd like to see your remote please, thank you.
post #772 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'll defer to the OP, who mentioned in his first post above gradient issues. He mentions Blade Runner 2049 but no specific time in the movie

Coincidentally, Rtngs just updated their review yesterday and they're reporting that the new firmware improves banding but not significantly. Which answers my question but YMMV.
What im seeing from banding is that it is still very much there but the edges are smoothed out. Much less of an eyesore for sure.
You dont see such a clear cut line between gradients anymore, it is somewhat blended.
PlanetAVS likes this.
post #773 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
I got mine from Costco through online and delivery and it has the black plastic remote. Can we get a picture of your remote? Model # on the remote?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thang View Post
The one I got from Costco in-store about a week ago came with a black plastic remote. I'd like to see your remote please, thank you.
I purchased mine on 8/19, from the Des Moines, IA Costco. Remote was printed on the exterior box as well. It's very heavy for a remote, the silver is a nice brushed metal, and the plastic is a thin black membrane over a clickable button.

I am unable to post image via links, so they are attached. Model number seems to be XRT150. It is referenced in the User Guide for the TV, alongside the black plastic remote. Not sure why I ended up with this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190821_134309.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2605544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190821_134637.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2605548   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190821_134720.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	2605550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190821_134716.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2605552  
toonj64 likes this.
post #774 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the same issue, Airplay is not always available and the phone app only connects every now and then. I do not have a connectivity issue, my Home Assistant installation controls the TV just fine. I also noticed that the latest update does not perform HDMI CEC power off. I have five other Airplay devices that work just fine. Anyone else seeing issues like this? I thought about renaming my tv, currently it is "Family Room TV", I also have "Family Room" and "Family Room Speakers", I wonder if something is not parsing correctly, someplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheno69 View Post
Is anyone else having issues connecting their TV to the Smartcast app? My phone and TV are connected to the same wifi network. The app doesn't display that wifi network.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #775 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
I purchased mine on 8/19, from the Des Moines, IA Costco. Remote was printed on the exterior box as well. It's very heavy for a remote, the silver is a nice brushed metal, and the plastic is a thin black membrane over a clickable button.

I am unable to post image via links, so they are attached. Model number seems to be XRT150. It is referenced in the User Guide for the TV, alongside the black plastic remote. Not sure why I ended up with this one.

Oh wow, that’s new. I go to the Des Moines Costco as well...haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #776 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cweakland View Post
I have the same issue, Airplay is not always available and the phone app only connects every now and then. I do not have a connectivity issue, my Home Assistant installation controls the TV just fine. I also noticed that the latest update does not perform HDMI CEC power off. I have five other Airplay devices that work just fine. Anyone else seeing issues like this? I thought about renaming my tv, currently it is "Family Room TV", I also have "Family Room" and "Family Room Speakers", I wonder if something is not parsing correctly, someplace.
My coworker had this issue, didnt show up/couldnt use it. He had to factory reset his TV and reset it up. Showed up fine afterwards. May need to give that a try!
post #777 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cweakland View Post

I noticed the same thing with the HDMI CEC not powering off after the latest update. Hopefully Vizio notices and fixes it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #778 of 1571 Old 08-21-2019, 06:55 PM

2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk

Quote:

Thanks for the pictures. Definitely a different remote. I bought a Vizio a couple years ago and the model came originally with a basic remote then they started shipping it with the nicer one with more buttons/functionality. Vizio offered the remote upgrade free if you paid the shipping. Maybe they will do the same with this model.

post #779 of 1571 Old 08-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just wanted to follow up with some observations. I played with this a bit last night. It turns out the smartcast app on the phone(ios) can be used to turn on the tv by selecting anything on the “discover” screen, once this happens airplay is available and the “control” features of the app work properly.

Now lets say the tv is off, if you look for the airplay device it is not there. If you try and use the “control “ feature of the app, I am unable to "find" the device.

I'm accustomed to airplay devices that are always available (e.g. Apple TV), this does not seem to be the case for this device (Px65-g1)

Lastly, Im not having a connectivity issue, the device remains associated to the wlan, never drops. My Home Assistant instance never fails to operate the device using the Vizio integration.

My work around for the CEC-OFF being broken is to have Home Assistant monitor my Yamaha receiver that is connected to this display. When I turn off the receiver (via HDMI CEC on the Apple TV), I have Home Assistant turn off the TV, It works really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoses View Post
I noticed the same thing with the HDMI CEC not powering off after the latest update. Hopefully Vizio notices and fixes it.

post #780 of 1571 Old 08-22-2019, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A couple of things. I recently went from a 65 inch PQX to the 75 PQX, and so far I have been very happy with my purchase! Maybe I’m not as susceptible to jail bars and issues people are mentioning or maybe I just don’t look for them but I have been very pleased so far! One thing I will note, I do feel like the 65 had an edge in black level performance. The 75 isn’t bad at all but the 65 I truly felt was on par with what I’ve seen on OLED and the 75 just doesn’t seem to that level, but still good. I know the 65 is rated with higher nits and I do feel like I could tell that, especially as far as specular highlights, they seemed to pop a little more on the 65. Again I don’t feel the 75 is a bust, but I do feel the 65 has the edge in performance. Also, I’m having an issue with my tv turning on by itself, like all the time. Wake up in the morning and it’s on, come home from work and it’s on. I’ve disabled CEC and know it’s not related to the other Vizio I have in the house because it turned on twice in the middle of the night the other night, once at 12:15 when I was still awake and again at about 3 after I had shut it off the first time, not really hours I can see picking up a neighbors signal or anything. Also, I want that new remote! Maybe Vizio will offer upgrades to those who already own the set, like they did with the 2017 tablet remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page