2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 436Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
What's odd is that the reviewer doesn't see a noticeable contrast difference in real world viewing side by side. That sony wide angle screen likely has under 4k contrast while the Vizio is likely well above 10K with over twice the brightness and lots more zones. I actually don't doubt the review but it's an interesting take. I hope he's correct about the upscaling etc and vizio has upped their processing.
Agreed I hope they upgraded their ability to upscale and the video processing
boosted330 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,085
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Who in the world uses the built in apps? Seriously, get an apple tv, nvidia shield, roku, or fire tv. That's such an odd thing to be worried about.

The mobile app for Vizio is incredible as far as adjusting picture settings etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Point taken, probably why I’m waiting for the new Apple TV+ with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision it’s so fast in regards to user interface.
Haha, I used to say this same thing...Roku's have no Dolby Vision (the built in apps do) so they are out. Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K doesn't support VUDU and doesn't have frame rate matching in a lot of apps with Netflix being the big one (Vizio does). The closest is probably the Apple TV 4K and that doesn't support Hulu in 5.1 doesn't playback some shows in Dolby Vision on the Amazon Prime App and doesn't support 4K HDR YouTube (Vizio does). They do all of their built in apps at their Native framerate also which is nice. They do have iTunes movies which you can't beat, they have the greatest selection of HDR/DV movies. With AirPlay becoming available and probably likely that there will be an Apple TV app on these in the future then soon that won't matter either. The Apple TV also supports Atmos Netflix right now (I think Vizio will soon also though). Obviously all of those other devices are faster but to me the Smartcast is plenty capable, plus I love the Chromecast Screensaver. Just my opinion obviously.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
bgstewar likes this.
beardontwalk123 is online now  
post #63 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,419
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2181 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
P Quantum X detailed review from Digital Trends is up:

aaronwt, boosted330 and MashCT like this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
CaptinCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 947
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
P Quantum X detailed review from Digital Trends is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgfuIWLJP4
As much as I enjoy DT videos, and Caleb does a good job with them, I don't consider them as in depth reviews. No details on calibrated settings, no 4K video, no measurements of any kind. It's just another overview on a TV, and makes no case for buying the PQX over the Sony X950G or the Samsung Q series.

I give Vizio props on the PQX, and I like the direction they are going, but the QC has to be greatly improved for anyone to take Vizio serious as a premier tv manufacture regardless of what the PQX spec sheet reads.
Panson likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 06-05-2019 at 11:15 AM.
CaptinCrunch is online now  
post #65 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
As much as I enjoy DT videos, and Caleb does a good job with them, I don't consider them as in depth reviews. No details on calibrated settings, no 4K video, no measurements of any kind. It's just another overview on a TV, and makes no case for buying the PQX over the Sony X950G.

I give Vizio props on the PQX, and I like the direction they are going, but the QC has to be greatly improved for anyone to take Vizio serious as a premier tv manufacture regardless of what the PQX spec sheet reads.
On high end (expensive) AV gear a long term protection plan (3 plus years) is now a must. I've been lucky with my 2016 Vizio P65 and Sony 4900F. The original P series has excellent picture due to its high FALD zone count and video processor. It's weakness as a 2016 model is peak NITS for HDR, but it looks good versus the higher NITS on the 2018 Sony. I'd buy a PX Quantum in a heart beat if my P series died.
PlanetAVS likes this.
naustin is online now  
post #66 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MashCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bloomfield CT
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
@MashCT anything you watch on Netflix thats HDR is Dolby Vision. All movies you stream on Vudu will be in Dolby Vision.

Here is a little tech info, your display peak brightness of 3000 nits, will not be displayed all the time. Content graded to 1000 nits, your display will not exceed that. Content graded to 4000 nits, your displaywill tone map, but very little. The brightest films, I can remember, are Mad Max Fury Road, Pacific Rim, Lego Movie, Aquaman, Ready Player One, Rampage, most Warner Bros are graded on Dolby Pulsar 4000 nit grading monitor.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
When I clicked the "Info" button on the remote, the info that comes up on the screen shows "HDR", not Dolby Vision. Even the tile/info screen for the show does not show "Dolby Vision". Apparently, my STB can't output DV even from its Netflix app (the show tile doesn't show it as an option, only that 4K or "HDR" are available.)

So, I switched to using the Vizio's Netflix app & sho' 'nuff - Dolby Vision is now an option. I see it in the show's tile/info screen and when I click "Info" - now it shows "Dolby Vision".

Oddly, Stranger Things - which is in DV - does not show the option nor come up on the picture mode. Just shows 2160p & "normal".

Our Planet, though - WOW is it a stunner on this TV!

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"
MashCT is offline  
post #67 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,545
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6635 Post(s)
Liked: 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post
When I clicked the "Info" button on the remote, the info that comes up on the screen shows "HDR", not Dolby Vision. Even the tile/info screen for the show does not show "Dolby Vision". Apparently, my STB can't output DV even from its Netflix app (the show tile doesn't show it as an option, only that 4K or "HDR" are available.)



So, I switched to using the Vizio's Netflix app & sho' 'nuff - Dolby Vision is now an option. I see it in the show's tile/info screen and when I click "Info" - now it shows "Dolby Vision".



Oddly, Stranger Things - which is in DV - does not show the option nor come up on the picture mode. Just shows 2160p & "normal".



Our Planet, though - WOW is it a stunner on this TV!


ST S1 is 4K non HDR you’ll need season 2 for DV.
Ph8te is online now  
post #68 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MashCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bloomfield CT
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Gravity - pics

Pics speak for themselves. Once again - caveats: cell phone pics & blooming you see in the pics is not visible sitting directly in front of the TV. Also, Earth, the shuttle, the space suits are very, very bright. Impressively bright. As impressive are the blacks this set achieves in these kinds of scenes.

When Dr Stone broke free & was spinning against the starry background, when her suit caught the sun & brightened, the stars around her would also brighten. I found this to be quite distracting.

I am beginning to see (and understand) why people say all TVs come with compromises. And as good as the Kuro plasma is, it has its flaws, too. No one has ever lived with a perfect display. So far, I'd say about 90% of the time, this TV wins & I am truly stunned.

There is no denying the appeal of a TV that gets this bright & has such a stunning picture - and does all of this at a reasonable price...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_000907.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	2576422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_000914.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	2576424   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001020.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2576426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001024.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2576428   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001048.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2576430  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001050.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	2576432   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001325.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	2576434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001328.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	2576436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_001335.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	2576438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_002102.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	2576440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_002107.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	2576442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_002112.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	2576444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_002119.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	2576446  

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"
MashCT is offline  
post #69 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MashCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bloomfield CT
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
ST S1 is 4K non HDR you’ll need season 2 for DV.
OH! Thanks mate!!

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"
MashCT is offline  
post #70 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MashCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bloomfield CT
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
BLACK SPOT (Netflix) pics

The bright orange/red sparks/fire of the flares - can't describe how bright this really is against the greenery, it is very bright. And yet, the Vizio still renders all of the detail in the flares, smoke & debris at the bottom of the cave. Really really nice.

One of the episodes, there is a scene where a truck comes over a hill, headlights blazing, and then makes a turn. The headlights are so bright, it's like a flashlight in the room. Your eyes almost feel it & you can watch the beam cross the wall behind you. This isn't like just watching 2 bright spots on the screen. It LEAPS off the screen.

Pics also show gradient banding in the fog/smoke deep in the cave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_202448.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	2576448   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_202452.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	2576450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_202521.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	2576452   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_202847.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2576454  

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"
MashCT is offline  
post #71 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
MashCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Bloomfield CT
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 47
OBLIVION - god awful gradient banding - pics

Once again, the pics do the talkin'. These are not the only scenes where banding was this evident.

For the most part, though, Oblivion was extremely impressive on this TV.

This is what is so frustrating with my VPQX... at one moment, glorious picture that makes me say "I'd gladly keep this TV & be happy with it". The next, the viewing experience is ruined by this kind of nonsense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_231030.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2576456   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_231055.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	2576458   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_231057.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	2576460  
aaronwt likes this.

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"
MashCT is offline  
post #72 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 474
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post
Once again, the pics do the talkin'. These are not the only scenes where banding was this evident.

For the most part, though, Oblivion was extremely impressive on this TV.

This is what is so frustrating with my VPQX... at one moment, glorious picture that makes me say "I'd gladly keep this TV & be happy with it". The next, the viewing experience is ruined by this kind of nonsense.
Hopefully they can fix that in an update.
boosted330 is offline  
post #73 of 1939 Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bethel Vermont
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Point taken, probably why I’m waiting for the new Apple TV+ with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision it’s so fast in regards to user interface.
Here's what I'm waiting for. A 12 bit panel so I see Dolby Vision. Are people even aware DV is 12 bit technology. So how do people figure they are seeing DV on a 10 bit panel. The short answer ,your not its a marketing gimmick at this point. And all the favorite websites you go to ,to get honest information push this Dolby vision narrative how wonderful it is and you should buy that tv and 4k blu-ray player that has it. Honest reviewers should call it out if it's a gimmick or not and why.
But were not getting that ,these days. Were just taking what they say as it must be true. Marketing is what get us to buy things , anything. Samsung has Qled, Sony has TRILUMINOS. Guess what they are the same thing! Just 3 years ago Samsung called Qled Suhd tvs,but nobody knew what that mean't, so marketing steps in and calls it Qled.In fact any manufacturer that uses quantum dots has Qled. The processing is better now ,and the usual picture options in each set, but my point is marketing comes up with buzz words for a TV like Qled, triluminos ,UltraBright 400,Wide Color Gamut with NBP Photon technology,HDR Pro Gamma etc. Back to HDR , give me a 12 bit panel which i've heard nothing about happening anytime soon. Until then how am I or anybody seeing Dolby Vision and I have seen some horrible HDR 10 .There is no standard and nobody talking about making standards, but hey let go with 8K. How about giving us the best 4K we can get then move on to 8K.
tomvinelli is offline  
post #74 of 1939 Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
OP, thanks for starting the thread - I am looking for a new TV to replace a 2015 Vizio P70 and your observations are helpful.
Color banding can be 'built in' to the video source that is difficult to remove with TV processing. And as you observe, the banding can be none, or quite evident.



If you have the opportunity with another TV, perhaps a comparison with the same source setup would be of great value to me and others here. There are VERY FEW PX75's out in the wild and they are unavailable for sale from all the usual suspects, including Vizio. Sometimes I think they might be counted using your fingers so far.


Again, thanks for your comments, and sorting out banding caused by the source or TV scaling issues is helpful to all future purchasers.
MashCT likes this.
KenUHD is offline  
post #75 of 1939 Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 AM
Member
 
g0ndor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post
Once again, the pics do the talkin'. These are not the only scenes where banding was this evident.

For the most part, though, Oblivion was extremely impressive on this TV.

This is what is so frustrating with my VPQX... at one moment, glorious picture that makes me say "I'd gladly keep this TV & be happy with it". The next, the viewing experience is ruined by this kind of nonsense.
Thanks for all the updates and pics!

Would you mind listing your source/"processing chain" when u post pics. Ex: "4k from the built in Netflix app", "Netflix hd, upscaled by appletv 4k", "uhd bluray, xyz bluray player" etc...

In essence, just like @KenUHD suggested, it is possible the source material could be contributing to the banding...
MashCT likes this.
g0ndor is offline  
post #76 of 1939 Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Member
 
g0ndor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenUHD View Post
OP, thanks for starting the thread - I am looking for a new TV to replace a 2015 Vizio P70 and your observations are helpful.
Color banding can be 'built in' to the video source that is difficult to remove with TV processing. And as you observe, the banding can be none, or quite evident.



If you have the opportunity with another TV, perhaps a comparison with the same source setup would be of great value to me and others here. There are VERY FEW PX75's out in the wild and they are unavailable for sale from all the usual suspects, including Vizio. Sometimes I think they might be counted using your fingers so far.


Again, thanks for your comments, and sorting out banding caused by the source or TV scaling issues is helpful to all future purchasers.
When the PX75 was initially listed on Costco's website for preorder(I don't think it is still listed), the release date was 6/7 - likely it has not been released yet.
g0ndor is offline  
post #77 of 1939 Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
gOndor,


Good point. Agreed there is a distinction between 'release', 'availability', and TV's actually for sale.
A Vizio, Inc press release on 5/21/19 8:00am ET announced availability of all the 2019 line up and was picked up by sites such as prnewswire.


Looking at the Vizio site today, they imply PX75's have an actual delivery to customers around early August. (ie 7-8 week delivery on the Vizio web page). (Which may explain why these TV's appear and disappear from various retail web sites.)



Nonetheless, feedback from the early adopters of the PX's is valuable stuff.
KenUHD is offline  
post #78 of 1939 Old 06-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
WRXpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
As much as I enjoy DT videos, and Caleb does a good job with them, I don't consider them as in depth reviews. No details on calibrated settings, no 4K video, no measurements of any kind. It's just another overview on a TV, and makes no case for buying the PQX over the Sony X950G or the Samsung Q series.
OTOH, his split screen shots showing the FALD performance in SDR/HDR and blooming are some of the best illustrations of the effect I've seen, and give a lot of real-world indication of whether one can live with it or not with this set. What is "completely unwatchable!" to one person might be no big deal to another, and I really appreciate being able to just see it, rather than being forced to read someone's impressions of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
Would you mind listing your source/"processing chain" when u post pics. Ex: "4k from the built in Netflix app", "Netflix hd, upscaled by appletv 4k", "uhd bluray, xyz bluray player" etc...

In essence, just like @KenUHD suggested, it is possible the source material could be contributing to the banding...
This is immediately what jumps to my mind. If there's no banding and a beautiful picture with some content, and "horrible" banding in other, similar, content, the banding is probably in the content. Especially if that content is 8-bit SDR being scaled up to brightness levels and color spaces it was never intended for, or is highly compressed streaming content.

I think it's been established for at least a couple years that Sony sets with their X1 processing intentionally remove banding, even when it's in the content, and whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate. A debate that's been ragin in the OLED world, as LG TVs often show banding the Sony's don't. Some people want their TV to accurately display the signal it's getting, warts and all. Some people want the fewest visible defects in the picture, even if that means the image is being 'processed'.
Schwa and naustin like this.
WRXpilot is online now  
post #79 of 1939 Old 06-06-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
RTings has just purchased the 2019 P Quantum X. They should have a review up with the next few weeks.
aaronwt, Ph8te, MashCT and 1 others like this.
skschatzman is offline  
post #80 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
RTings has just purchased the 2019 P Quantum X. They should have a review up with the next few weeks.

That's great news! I've been checking their website every few days to see if the review would popup. I am definitely interested to complement my P65-E1 with the PX75-G1. How do you like your PQ65? Do you have it in a bright room?
ToxiCRabbit is offline  
post #81 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiCRabbit View Post
That's great news! I've been checking their website every few days to see if the review would popup. I am definitely interested to complement my P65-E1 with the PX75-G1. How do you like your PQ65? Do you have it in a bright room?
It is in my living room with 20ft wide 7ft high patio windows on the north side. The sun does not directly shine through, even during summer solstice. If I have my blinds open during the day I will use medium AFA with backlight set to 80 and gamma 2.1. With the blinds closed I use backlight 50. At night AFA set to low and backlight set to 0 for no lights, 10 with low ambient lighting and gamma 2.2.

I really enjoy the set, but wish the zones we're individual instead of pairs. We will see how the PQX stands out. If it is significantly better, I may upgrade.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-07-2019 at 09:23 AM.
skschatzman is offline  
post #82 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
It is in my living room with 20ft wide 7ft high patio windows on the north side. The sun does not directly shine through, even during summer solstice. If I have my blinds open during the day I will use medium AFA with backlight set to 80 and gamma 2.1. With the blinds closed I use backlight 50. At night AFA set to low and backlight set to 0 for no lights, 10 with low ambient lighting and gamma 2.2.

I really enjoy the set, but wish the zones we're individual instead of pairs. We will see how the PQX stands out. If it is significantly better, I may upgrade.
I am in a very similar situation where the sun will not shine directly through the windows but still want to have a TV that has a better reflection handling and is brighter than the P65-E1 which I love in my basement but would not if it was in a bright room.
As far as the zones, are they supposed to be paired as well in the PQX or do we not know yet? Not a deal breaker for me but you just raised my curiosity now.
ToxiCRabbit is offline  
post #83 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiCRabbit View Post
I am in a very similar situation where the sun will not shine directly through the windows but still want to have a TV that has a better reflection handling and is brighter than the P65-E1 which I love in my basement but would not if it was in a bright room.

As far as the zones, are they supposed to be paired as well in the PQX or do we not know yet? Not a deal breaker for me but you just raised my curiosity now.
The 2019 PQX 65" version has the exact same amount of backlight LED's as the 2018 PQ, but the 2018 zones are in vertical pairs, while the 2019 models are individual.

This means that horizontal blooming should be similar between 2018 and 2019 models, but vertical should be improved, especially in black bars. With the improved nits output though may amplify this effect. We will see once RTings posts their findings.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-07-2019 at 10:04 AM.
skschatzman is offline  
post #84 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
kensingtonwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
The 2019 PQX 65" version has the exact same amount of backlight LED's as the 2018 PQ, but the 2018 zones are in vertical pairs, while the 2019 models are individual.

This means that horizontal blooming should be similar between 2018 and 2019 models, but vertical should be improved, especially in black bars.


No kidding. Same amount of LED’s but multiplied by two because they are split in half. That’s some marketing genius right there lol. Although vertical blooming will be improved so that’s good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kensingtonwick is offline  
post #85 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
kensingtonwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
No kidding. Same amount of LED’s but multiplied by two because they are split in half. That’s some marketing genius right there lol. Although vertical blooming will be improved so that’s good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Was it the four per zone in 2018 or two per zone? Or am I way off?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kensingtonwick is offline  
post #86 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Was it the four per zone in 2018 or two per zone? Or am I way off?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
No kidding. Same amount of LED’s but multiplied by two because they are split in half. That’s some marketing genius right there lol. Although vertical blooming will be improved so that’s good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was 2 per zone vertically in the 2018 PQ. 1 per zone in the 2019 PQX.

Last edited by skschatzman; 06-07-2019 at 10:25 AM.
skschatzman is offline  
post #87 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
naustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Deep in the Heart of TX
Posts: 3,140
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
It was 2 per zone vertically in the 2018 PQ. 1 per zone in the 2019 PQX.
Are LED zones paired on your P65-E1? First I've heard about "paired" zones. Thanks for the info.
naustin is online now  
post #88 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skschatzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
Are LED zones paired on your P65-E1? First I've heard about "paired" zones. Thanks for the info.
No
naustin likes this.
skschatzman is offline  
post #89 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Member
 
g0ndor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenUHD View Post
gOndor,


Good point. Agreed there is a distinction between 'release', 'availability', and TV's actually for sale.
A Vizio, Inc press release on 5/21/19 8:00am ET announced availability of all the 2019 line up and was picked up by sites such as prnewswire.


Looking at the Vizio site today, they imply PX75's have an actual delivery to customers around early August. (ie 7-8 week delivery on the Vizio web page). (Which may explain why these TV's appear and disappear from various retail web sites.)



Nonetheless, feedback from the early adopters of the PX's is valuable stuff.
PX75 seems to be listed on Costco's website again, with 7-10 business days delivery - u have to filter by brand for it show up.
g0ndor is offline  
post #90 of 1939 Old 06-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
kensingtonwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
It was 2 per zone vertically in the 2018 PQ. 1 per zone in the 2019 PQX.


I guess we’re likely to see black letterbox bars then.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kensingtonwick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off