2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 431Likes

post #1141 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
Here is the difference between HDR and SDR. Doctor strange 5 min mark. Used my Galaxy 9 auto mode for both pics. you can see how over exposed is the SDR over the HDR. The HDR actually looks darker in real time. The SDR looks brighter. I did the same test on my Samsung 75NU8000 and the HDR looked so much better than the SDR version. I think I am calling Vizio tomorrow.
I think something is wrong with the TV. I'm on my 2nd set, and the HDR worked fine on the first one. Looked amazing, if it wasn't for this green cloud on the bottom and a super bright spot on the left. The one I just received, HDR is washed out and dark on both PS4 Pro and PC gaming, which I don't remember being an issue on the first set. Definitely not an issue on my previous p75-F1. It seems there may be a problem with HDR in some sets. Let me know what vizio says. My 2nd set is definitely going back to costco, not only is the HDR broken, but the jailbars are brutal and can be seen almost all the time in any kind of menu, solid background and almost all gaming that isn't dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Before I am going thru another TV with Vizio, could you please let me know if HDR10/DV looks too dim for you? In order for me to get a decent image I have to change gamma to 1.8 and back light to 100 which does not make any sense. I had the P series C1, E1 and the 2018 quantum and always kept cal or cal dark for a good HDR viewing. Somehow this TV is different and I am not sure if it is on all the PX tvs or mine is just defective.

Thank you.

Last edited by meduzadg; 10-06-2019 at 04:05 PM.
post #1143 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydg68 View Post
I think something is wrong with the TV. I'm on my 2nd set, and the HDR worked fine on the first one. Looked amazing, if it wasn't for this green cloud on the bottom and a super bright spot on the left. The one I just received, HDR is washed out and dark on both PS4 Pro and PC gaming, which I don't remember being an issue on the first set. Definitely not an issue on my previous p75-F1. It seems there may be a problem with HDR in some sets. Let me know what vizio says. My 2nd set is definitely going back to costco, not only is the HDR broken, but the jailbars are brutal and can be seen almost all the time in any kind of menu, solid background and almost all gaming that isn't dark.
Thank you. I just posted a question re the dim HDR before I read your post. I will report when and if I get a new set from Vizio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
So I REALLY want to get this set but I’m being scared off by the clouding and gradient issues. How bad are they? Does anyone have any photos they can share? I’m trying to decide between this set, the TCL 2019 6-series, and the Hisense H9F. I really like the deep blacks and bright colors from this set but I can only judge this based upon the store demo that Best Buy has up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1145 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The question I have is this: does anyone have a screen without any significant issues (specifically, vertical banding)?
post #1146 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I guess you're referring to me as one of those claiming "QC sucks" and I would absolutely love to pay for quality. I'd have no problem paying a premium for a quality TV that would last. Sadly those no longer exist.
I wasn’t specifically referring to you; I just remembered reading the comment.

If you’re willing to pay for quality, you should look at front projection. JVC’s top of the line models have handpicked parts. And they also list for around $10K or more. If you’re willing to pay, go big or go home...you won’t be disappointed because nothing beats the true cinema-sized big screen experience. FWIW I have JVC’s mid-tier eshift projector and its good enough for me...and on close out it was still $4K. Even at the $10K and up level, they’re still not perfect. Nothing made by humans ever will be. You’ll be a lot more content if you adjust your expectations accordingly.
post #1147 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
The question I have is this: does anyone have a screen without any significant issues (specifically, vertical banding)?
Mine doesn’t have significant issues. It’s not perfect, but there’s no problems when viewing real content.
post #1148 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
Mine doesn’t have significant issues. It’s not perfect, but there’s no problems when viewing real content.

What would you call an insigifnicaint issue?
post #1149 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 2155
Quote:
I wasn’t specifically referring to you; I just remembered reading the comment.

If you’re willing to pay for quality, you should look at front projection. JVC’s top of the line models have handpicked parts. And they also list for around $10K or more. If you’re willing to pay, go big or go home...you won’t be disappointed because nothing beats the true cinema-sized big screen experience. FWIW I have JVC’s mid-tier eshift projector and its good enough for me...and on close out it was still $4K. Even at the $10K and up level, they’re still not perfect. Nothing made by humans ever will be. You’ll be a lot more content if you adjust your expectations accordingly.
Absolutely. If I had the space I would have a big screen and projector.

Quote:
It’s not perfect, but there’s no problems when viewing real content.
I mentioned a while ago that if someone doesn't see jailbars or any other issue during regular content to not stress, but someone referred to that as being "ignorant".

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #1150 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just picked one up today. Amazing picture. I've been playing with the set all day, and I've had no issues with any content that I've thrown at it.
post #1151 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeosu02 View Post
I just picked one up today. Amazing picture. I've been playing with the set all day, and I've had no issues with any content that I've thrown at it.
I'm glad you are happy. I recommend checking your set for flaws. Some flaws may warrant a replacement. Knowing is better than living in blissful ignorance only to find an issue after the warranty claim window has expired.
I always recommend people to thoroughly test the TV they buy. Too many people just say, "I don't notice any glaring issues and I'm not going to go looking for them". This is a bad way of thinking if an issue does arise later. Better to be safe than sorry.
post #1152 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 07:59 PM

So, my #1 thing I watch is hockey. That seems to be the absolute worst for jailbars. My set has some. Otherwise it is perfect. I am starting the replacement process, unfortunately.
post #1153 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
I'm glad you are happy. I recommend checking your set for flaws. Some flaws may warrant a replacement. Knowing is better than living in blissful ignorance only to find an issue after the warranty claim window has expired.
I always recommend people to thoroughly test the TV they buy. Too many people just say, "I don't notice any glaring issues and I'm not going to go looking for them". This is a bad way of thinking if an issue does arise later. Better to be safe than sorry.
Maybe it didn't come across that way, but that's exactly what I have been doing. I have run through the calibration patterns, and actual content. So far, so good.
post #1154 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeosu02 View Post
Maybe it didn't come across that way, but that's exactly what I have been doing. I have run through the calibration patterns, and actual content. So far, so good.
post #1155 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
If you get it replaced through VIZIO do they set it up for you when delivering?
post #1156 of 1899 Old 10-06-2019, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stinson View Post
If you get it replaced through VIZIO do they set it up for you when delivering?
Yes as long as it is 5' above ground. They will unpack, plug in to make sure it is working.
post #1157 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Just noticed that after I turn the TV off there is light glowing from the screen very noticeable from the sides. Power and factory reset did not fix the issue so it seems that the TV is on 24/7.....What next
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV has light glowing after it has been turned off. 20191007_002608.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	2624682  
post #1158 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I purchased this set a week a go and have been surprised by the performance of this TV. I have had no major issues with this TV. Picture quality is absolutely fantastic. Watch several of the Baseball games over this weekend as well as the Lakers first preseason game and the picture quality looks great from Direct TV. It is a definite step up from the Samsung Plasma I am coming from. Also played with Netflix and very impressed with the HDR performance. I also played several HDR demos from YouTube and I am stunned with the black levels.

I guess I am lucky that I got a decent panel based on all the issues people are posting here. But as I have found in the past, most people with positive experiences seldom take the time to share their thoughts. I work in the film/tv industry so I can easily pick up picture issues, and I don't find anything wrong with my display. I was considering a OLED, but I don't think the increase in performance is worth another $600-$1000.
post #1159 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What would you call an insigifnicaint issue?
Jailbars and/or grayscale uniformity issues barely visible on test patterns.
post #1160 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
So I REALLY want to get this set but I’m being scared off by the clouding and gradient issues. How bad are they? Does anyone have any photos they can share? I’m trying to decide between this set, the TCL 2019 6-series, and the Hisense H9F. I really like the deep blacks and bright colors from this set but I can only judge this based upon the store demo that Best Buy has up.

Sorry guys, I’m going to bump this because I want to try and get it while Costco has a good price on it if it’s worth it. Just looking for some opinions from those that have it?

post #1161 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLaLakers View Post
I purchased this set a week a go and have been surprised by the performance of this TV. I have had no major issues with this TV. Picture quality is absolutely fantastic. Watch several of the Baseball games over this weekend as well as the Lakers first preseason game and the picture quality looks great from Direct TV. It is a definite step up from the Samsung Plasma I am coming from. Also played with Netflix and very impressed with the HDR performance. I also played several HDR demos from YouTube and I am stunned with the black levels.

I guess I am lucky that I got a decent panel based on all the issues people are posting here. But as I have found in the past, most people with positive experiences seldom take the time to share their thoughts. I work in the film/tv industry so I can easily pick up picture issues, and I don't find anything wrong with my display. I was considering a OLED, but I don't think the increase in performance is worth another $600-$1000.
From one Lakers fan to another, I am jealous lucky you. I am on my third going fourth..... Enjoy your TV!
post #1162 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So Vizio has offered me a refund. I'm a little disappointed but I get it - chasing after a largely subjective metric like uniformity or DSE does not make sense (especially when there appears to be such wide variation).

So now I can either keep the set or enter the TV market again. The current TV has no visible jail bars with viewing angle enhancement on, and some faint pink and yellow discoloration you can notice on solid color scenes.. not terrible but.. meh.

So - question for the group - is there ANY other LED - quantum or not TV that can match the Quantum X performance (black levels, HDR performance..) at the $2K price point (I'm not interested in OLED)? I'm kind of dreading shopping around again. #2 on my list before I pulled the trigger on the Vizio was a Sony X900 75".

All said I'll probably keep this TV ...but thought I'd ask.
post #1163 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorTheater View Post
So Vizio has offered me a refund. I'm a little disappointed but I get it - chasing after a largely subjective metric like uniformity or DSE does not make sense (especially when there appears to be such wide variation).

So now I can either keep the set or enter the TV market again. The current TV has no visible jail bars with viewing angle enhancement on, and some faint pink and yellow discoloration you can notice on solid color scenes.. not terrible but.. meh.

So - question for the group - is there ANY other LED - quantum or not TV that can match the Quantum X performance (black levels, HDR performance..) at the $2K price point (I'm not interested in OLED)? I'm kind of dreading shopping around again. #2 on my list before I pulled the trigger on the Vizio was a Sony X900 75".

They offered you a refund, but you are keeping the TV?
post #1164 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
They offered you a refund, but you are keeping the TV?
Thinking about it. I read it is they don't think I'll ever be happy as a customer, so just give me my money back and avoid additional costs of exchanges. From my perspective, after 3 different sets, and reading that "all TV's have DSE and uniformity issues"... perhaps I should just relinquish and save the hassle of shopping for another TV that may have the same DSE , uniformity issues and maybe NOT have the nice black levels and HDR that the Vizio has. Maybe flawed logic of a fatigued electronics buyer..... I don't remember this being so difficult back in 2009 when I bought my last TV.
post #1165 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thinking about it. I read it is they don't think I'll ever be happy as a customer, so just give me my money back and avoid additional costs of exchanges.
You could have the set professionally calibrated or buy a colorimeter and learn a new skill. Calibrating the set can improve a lot of the issues you are experiencing. It may also identify an issue that requires a replacement. I have attempted to calibrate a few sets and found some issues that calibration can't fix, but most of the time improvements reduce or make them imperceivable.
post #1166 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

To answer your question, you could look at the Samsung Q80/90 if you do decide to take the refund.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #1167 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
You could have the set professionally calibrated or buy a colorimeter and learn a new skill. Calibrating the set can improve a lot of the issues you are experiencing. It may also identify an issue that requires a replacement. I have attempted to calibrate a few sets and found some issues that calibration can't fix, but most of the time improvements reduce or make them imperceivable.
That sounds like a good suggestion.

Is xrite colormunkie smile something you would recommend to start with? It's in my price range and seems to get decent reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/X-Rite-CMUNSML...66676999&psc=1

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
post #1168 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is xrite colormunkie smile something you would recommend to start with? It's in my price range and seems to get decent reviews.

The Xrite Colormunkie Smile won't be adequate enough for today's TVs.

When it comes to accuracy and peak Luminance readings the Xrite i1Display Pro is the best budget option for beginners.

X-Rite i1Display Pro (EODIS3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055MBQOW..._nY7MDb95TK6QS

$250 may seem expensive, but consider the professionals use meters that cost $5,000-$10,000.

Last edited by skschatzman; 10-07-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #1169 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You'd be better off hiring a professional calibrator.

Quote:
The Xrite Colormunkie Smile won't be adequate enough for today's TVs.

When it comes to accuracy and peak Luminance readings the Xrite i1Display Pro is the best budget option for beginners.

X-Rite i1Display Pro (EODIS3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055MBQOW..._nY7MDb95TK6QS

$250 may seem expensive, but consider the professionals use meters that cost $5,000-$10,000.
If the OP decides to go DIY, he'd want the Plus model for HDR...

https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_ov...2640&catid=156

And of course professionals use much more expensive ones, they do it for a living.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #1170 of 1899 Old 10-07-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
You'd be better off hiring a professional calibrator.

If the OP decides to go DIY, he'd want the Plus model for HDR...

https://xritephoto.com/ph_product_ov...2640&catid=156

And of course professionals use much more expensive ones, they do it for a living.
Although the plus version only costs $50 more, the non-plus version can still be used for HDR calibration and can accurately read up to 2000nits just like the plus version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page