2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 442Likes

post #1531 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
Also, Disney+ does do Dolby Vision, but not Atmos on the Xbox One, for some reason. Someone said they were in the beta and Atmos was working on a previous version. We don't know why this is right now.
Does it at least do DD+ 5.1?

I’m waiting for a release of the whole SW series on UHD Blu-ray with DV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by danni13 View Post
Does it at least do DD+ 5.1?

I’m waiting for a release of the whole SW series on UHD Blu-ray with DV.
Atmos isn't working on the Fire TV 4K stick either (DD+ 5.1 is working though).

Vincent Teoh just revealed that the original trilogy on Disney+ is 'fake' HDR (max luminance of 400 nits or less). I really hope they re-grade it in proper HDR for a physical release, but I doubt that'll happen.

post #1533 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider View Post
Hi, I just got the PX65-G delivered from Costco. I don't see noticeable bands when I'm directly in front of the screen running this test in the calibrated setting. If I move off to about 35% angle however, I can definitely see some lines, one in particular. The effect seems to be lessened with the off angle viewing enhancement. I would say it is nearly perfect if I'm square to the screen. No discolored blotches from any angle as far as I can tell. Also did the test with the UHD on some Arctic documentary footage...looked basically the same.

I am not as sensitive/aware as many posters, but I am coming from an LG PV400 plasma that I bought long ago (based on discussions on this site and favorable comparisons to the pioneer plasmas) and slightly modified the panel at that time. It has been years, but we all did something to make the blacks darker, if memory serves. I didn't get it calibrated but I bought some calibration disks/blu rays that I used.

I have not seen a non-plasma that I liked but my set in the bedroom finally crapped out. I basically see these bars in all of the non-plasma displays when watching football or hockey and from the side...yeesh, they struggle. I was going to get an OLED and put the plasma in the bedroom. I have a lot of sunlight in the family room during the day, however, and the OLED are still pretty shiny (the plasma glass screen was always a pain in my ass during the day).

I bought this over the Samsung q90 because I decided quantum led was good enough for my high light exposure use case and the two sets seemed to be basically a push as far as I could tell and the cost was like half. I bought from costco to somewhat mitigate the risks of vizio reputed quality control. I also looked at the TCL in store and this set smoked it (admittedly in store in not a good comparison for most people but as stated, I am interested in high ambient room light performance)

As far as initial problems: I have noticed that RDR2 on my ps4, with the HDR feature, appears pretty washed out. It is like I'm playing in a sand storm. I will try and toy around with settings to see if I can correct. I have been using the Rtings calibration/settings with some minor tweaks to those. Also, the youtube app in the smart cast goes to a dark screen. Not sure what is up with that...used my Roku streaming stick+ for the hockey/dse test. No Disney + app in smart cast, but I will probably mostly use the roku in any case.

Right now I am planning to keep it, but I am going to try and work it over for the next 90 days.
Get an Xbox One X, I have yet to see anyone have HDR issues on these TVs with it, its always a PS4 Pro for some reason, it doesn't even output proper 4k most of the time. RDR2 had notoriously awful HDR at launch but apparently they fixed it so im not sure what would be causing that. I used games like Borderlands 3 and Outer Worlds to test mine so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can anyone recommend the best way to watch network video files with this TV? I thought it was capable of viewing DLNA content natively but apparently I was wrong. Thanks.
post #1535 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdent9 View Post
I read every page of this thread and I was worried about getting some awful panel but I really think the issues are overblown since only the dissatisfied people come to post. So if you are in my position and are struggling between this, the 900f, TCL 8, OLED, or q80r, I highly recommend the Vizio for 1600$. Viewing angles and smart interfaces dont matter to me since I sit dead on with an external streaming device and only watch 1080/4k content so I think this TV was a good fit for me but the nightmare posts had me assuming I would have to settle with some jailbars and banding. Yesterday I picked up the 75" PQX from Costco and pictures are attached, apparently I won the panel lottery? To be honest this TV makes the prospect of spending twice as much on a burn in prone OLED seem like a joke. This TV is hands down the best PQ I have ever experienced when using quality source content
Just curious, when taking the pic of your scrn uniformity, have you set the enhanced viewing angle to on or you had it in off position? I noticed that most of the jail bars disappeared when it is on and posted my finding here over a month ago.
post #1536 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 01:43 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
Just curious, when taking the pic of your scrn uniformity, have you set the enhanced viewing angle to on or you had it in off position? I noticed that most of the jail bars disappeared when it is on and posted my finding here over a month ago.
That picture was with the viewing angle enhancement off, I might take some off angle pictures tonight

Last edited by Holdent9; 11-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #1537 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdent9 View Post
That picture was with the viewing angle enhancement off, I might take some off angle pictures tonight
I have gone back and forth with the wide viewing angle turned on and off...Up close you can see that it does effect what pixels are doing but I can't honestly perceive a difference when sitting back from the TV a few feet. Ultimately, I've opted to have the wide viewing angle option turned ON as it pretty much eliminates the vertical jail bars you can see on some content especially when panning. I'm curious how many people are doing the same thing or if someone can comment from a more technical perspective on what exactly users are giving up when enabling the wide viewing angle option on this PQX display.

I have commented previously on the color gradient banding issues that I have seen while playing some games being rather bad and distracting at times. As part of that thought - I have discovered that this not the case with all games. Death Stranding for example and Seiko Shadows Die Twice both exhibit a lot of color banding in the sky and in darker scenes. However, when playing Star Wars Fallen Order I can't really see much if any color banding. So, I do have to wonder if the color banding is an error with the display as much as it may be a process by which the game has been created/developed. Thoughts anyone?
post #1538 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 03:28 PM

Liked: 10
I went to pick this thing up at costco and had an interesting time of it. Anyone know if laying the box flat or upside down or slight fall might mess up the internals? Or do I just have to worry about a cracked screen? I read about the panel lottery so now Im doing research on what tests and what settings I need to do to determine if I got a bad panel. Although I am dreading having to bring this back to costco. If I got a bad panel do I have to bring it back or will vizio send me a new and haul away old one?
post #1539 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyscherb View Post
I have gone back and forth with the wide viewing angle turned on and off...Up close you can see that it does effect what pixels are doing but I can't honestly perceive a difference when sitting back from the TV a few feet. Ultimately, I've opted to have the wide viewing angle option turned ON as it pretty much eliminates the vertical jail bars you can see on some content especially when panning. I'm curious how many people are doing the same thing or if someone can comment from a more technical perspective on what exactly users are giving up when enabling the wide viewing angle option on this PQX display.

I have commented previously on the color gradient banding issues that I have seen while playing some games being rather bad and distracting at times. As part of that thought - I have discovered that this not the case with all games. Death Stranding for example and Seiko Shadows Die Twice both exhibit a lot of color banding in the sky and in darker scenes. However, when playing Star Wars Fallen Order I can't really see much if any color banding. So, I do have to wonder if the color banding is an error with the display as much as it may be a process by which the game has been created/developed. Thoughts anyone?

This is interesting because when I first got my Hisense H9F, there was HORRENDOUS banding on the night sky when playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint...it was UGLY...I still had my Sony X900E though and decided to just try it on that for the heck of it and....it was exactly the same on there. It was just the game. The game was rendered bad in terms of gradient. I think when playing games, most of it will be about the content and the tv can MAYBE affect it by like 10% or so. But I have to believe now that it’s mostly content based. I too had banding in Seiko for what it’s worth. Haven’t had a chance to play Death Stranding yet. And I’ve had zero problems with Jedi Fallen Order as well.

All of that said, I still pulled the trigger on a 65” Vizio PQX to compare with my H9F. I’m excited about the deeper blacks (although I have NO problems with them on the H9F) and the brighter nits. We’ll see how it all shakes up I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1540 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavs View Post
I went to pick this thing up at costco and had an interesting time of it. Anyone know if laying the box flat or upside down or slight fall might mess up the internals? Or do I just have to worry about a cracked screen? I read about the panel lottery so now Im doing research on what tests and what settings I need to do to determine if I got a bad panel. Although I am dreading having to bring this back to costco. If I got a bad panel do I have to bring it back or will vizio send me a new and haul away old one?
It's specified that LCD TVs be shipped and transported standing upright, so this may factor into it. I've taken my chances and brought home a 55" laying flat in the trunk of my car, but that was for an OLED. For my 65" or higher LCDs, I figure the bigger and taller they get, the more fragile they become based on sheer weight and size. I did not want to risk it, so i've just had them delivered.

LG OLED55C7P | Sony 75X950G | LG UP970 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #1541 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The PQXs are packed very, very well. I can guarantee 99.99% of TVs ride home laying flat.

With that said my boss bought a PQX 65" a few days before me and the panel was smashed in on one of the corners when he got it out of the box. Things happen.

Physical damage to the TV isn't covered by Vizio so you would indeed have to bring it back to the retailer if that were the case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #1542 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
Can anyone recommend the best way to watch network video files with this TV? I thought it was capable of viewing DLNA content natively but apparently I was wrong. Thanks.
Plex media server.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
post #1543 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
Same with me. I get jail bars I would rate at 6/10 with it off, and 9/10 with it on.

post #1544 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I had to transport mine flat. If you do, it has to be glass side up. You will have to lay it flat also to get the feet on.

No issues I am aware of yet.
post #1545 of 1979 Old 11-18-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorTheater View Post
Plex media server.

I dont have a plex server and I would like to stick to something free since my NAS does DLNA serving on its own. I don't think Plex client can see my DLNA server. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
post #1546 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I was looking at both of these in Costco today. Problem is I really want 75" but that's not happening in OLED (budget). I kept walking back to the LG C9 because it looked so good. My only concern is brightness. I have a fairly open concept den with some high windows that are uncovered. It could be a problem during daytime viewing but we do much more evening viewing since we both work so...
The struggle is real my friend. Lol!

I totally understand where you're coming from. You know, av enthusiasts (aka tv snobs) such as ourselves, we end up having certain factors that have more importance than others. Sometimes we know what those are without any questioning, and sometimes we have some testing and returning to do before we can get there. I tend to be on the testing and returning most of the time. It comes down to some specific bullet points that most of us struggle with. In no particular order.....

Price - Best possible deal you can find
Size - Biggest screen for immersive experience
PQ - Best possible picture quality
Features - Streaming apps, TV processor, etc..
Future Proof - How long will this TV hold up with new and upcoming technology

All of these are important and some of them are more important than others depending on the person. Through many years and many many many TV's, I've come to realize within the last 4-5 years which is most important to me. That would 100% be Picture Quality. At the end of the day, I want the best or damn near close to the best picture I can get. Now, here's the problem with that. There are soooooo many subcategories within PQ that you can drive yourself crazy. Do I want the brightest picture, do I want the most accurate colors, do I want the deepest blacks and so on and so forth. I wish I fell more into the other categories because then my tv journey would be much simpler. But, I am who I am and I just have to accept that for what I look for in overall picture quality, nothing beats an OLED.

At the end of the day, we all check our boxes and whatever tv we ultimately end up with, we figure out a way to justify why that was the right choice. So, in saying all of that, figure out what is most important for what you look for in a tv and freaking go for it! With a little searching and research, you can always find a pretty good deal for whatever tv you want. May not be as cheap as some other options but at least you know you'll be happy in the long run and there will be less buyers remorse and justifying as you watch your tv years down the road. Good luck!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
dropzone7 likes this.

post #1547 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I can tell you right now my friend that HDR in RDR 2 is not good. I've played it in HDR on my Epson 5050 projector, Samsung Q80 LED and LG C9 OLED and it looks washed out no matter what. Some games just don't benefit from HDR and this is one of them. For whatever reason it may be. I just turn HDR off for red dead and it looks much better.

post #1548 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtlc View Post
I dont have a plex server and I would like to stick to something free since my NAS does DLNA serving on its own. I don't think Plex client can see my DLNA server. Am I missing something?

Thanks.
I can't recommend plex enough. server software is free though you will need a modest pc/Nas to host it. I use an old laptop. client apps for various devices are cheap, or even free.

post #1549 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach9 View Post
I have a 900F right now. After getting used to the brightness of the PX75, I just find the X900F too dull. :S Let me know your thoughts on your X900.
I can test it on Nov 28, I am in my new house then.

But, it would make sense that it's a bit dull, the PX75 is a brighter TV.
post #1550 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
I can tell you right now my friend that HDR in RDR 2 is not good. I've played it in HDR on my Epson 5050 projector, Samsung Q80 LED and LG C9 OLED and it looks washed out no matter what. Some games just don't benefit from HDR and this is one of them. For whatever reason it may be. I just turn HDR off for red dead and it looks much better.

RDR2 had fake HDR at first and updated later.

It was entirely washed out on PC on my PX65 at first buy I changed my Windows settings and in game HDR settings and now its pretty good although black levels tend to be a bit too high. I use gamma 2.4 and its quite good.
post #1551 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

PSA for Disney +:

Vizio got humiliated enough with this situation of being the only place you can't cast Disney app so they will fix it in early December rather than fix it in 2020 as they said initially.

I mean, FFS, they JUST rolled out an update so WHY didnt they think to update chromecast for Disney + to work!
post #1552 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
PSA for Disney +:

Vizio got humiliated enough with this situation of being the only place you can't cast Disney app so they will fix it in early December rather than fix it in 2020 as they said initially.

I mean, FFS, they JUST rolled out an update so WHY didnt they think to update chromecast for Disney + to work!
They clearly didn't have access to test Disney+ to test it before it was launched. Or they did and didn't test it.

Neither answer speaks very well of the software developers at Vizio. Lord I miss Matt Mcrae.
Brandon B likes this.
post #1553 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
They clearly didn't have access to test Disney+ to test it before it was launched. Or they did and didn't test it.

Neither answer speaks very well of the software developers at Vizio. Lord I miss Matt Mcrae.
You got that right! Matt was awesome
post #1554 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some here are adamant that we should use some external device for any streaming on these vizios but I for one have had very good results with the native apps.
BUT... Even though the TV apps can do HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision AND Atmos (works with my AVR over ARC), it all depends on which app you are using.

Netflix doesnt do Atmos on the tv app even though netflix does offer atmos. You can get Atmos on netflix using the windows 10 app but you only get hdr10 and no Dolby vision.

I've looked at CC Ultra, Fire stick, roku and all of them can do some things and not others.

Is there any freakin way, using one single device (or native apps) to get Atmos AND DV or hdr10+. So far we always have to make a choice between best audio and best PQ. Why can't we have both?? It does work on Vudu and Movies Anywhere on the TV apps but not netflix or amazon nor Disney

So annoying!
post #1555 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Some here are adamant that we should use some external device for any streaming on these vizios but I for one have had very good results with the native apps.

BUT... Even though the TV apps can do HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision AND Atmos (works with my AVR over ARC), it all depends on which app you are using.

Netflix doesnt do Atmos on the tv app even though netflix does offer atmos. You can get Atmos on netflix using the windows 10 app but you only get hdr10 and no Dolby vision.

I've looked at CC Ultra, Fire stick, roku and all of them can do some things and not others.

Is there any freakin way, using one single device (or native apps) to get Atmos AND DV or hdr10+. So far we always have to make a choice between best audio and best PQ. Why can't we have both?? It does work on Vudu and Movies Anywhere on the TV apps but not netflix or amazon nor Disney

So annoying!

I personally use the Fire TV Stick 4K and think that it pairs with this TV well! Still no Atmos on Netflix but it's on Movies Anywhere. It does Atmos and HDR10+ on Prime also. The biggest bummer is that it doesn't have the native Vudu app. When I want to watch movies though I just cast a Movie to the Smartcast and when the movie is done I just press the Home button on the Amazon Fire TV remote and it brings me back to the home screen of the Fire TV. It also does 4K Hulu (Smartcast doesn't, unless you cast) and has apps for Apple TV+ and Disney+.

post #1556 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
I personally use the Fire TV Stick 4K and think that it pairs with this TV well! Still no Atmos on Netflix but it's on Movies Anywhere. It does Atmos and HDR10+ on Prime also. The biggest bummer is that it doesn't have the native Vudu app. When I want to watch movies though I just cast a Movie to the Smartcast and when the movie is done I just press the Home button on the Amazon Fire TV remote and it brings me back to the home screen of the Fire TV. It also does 4K Hulu (Smartcast doesn't, unless you cast) and has apps for Apple TV+ and Disney+.

I agree fire stick is good but no atmos on netlifx nor Disney means it doesn't cut it. If I want to use the TV apps and no more than one external device, im still missing out on atmos for my two main streaming services.
post #1557 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree fire stick is good but no atmos on netlifx nor Disney means it doesn't cut it. If I want to use the TV apps and no more than one external device, im still missing out on atmos for my two main streaming services.

True but there is no Atmos on the Smartcast either. At least it has a Disney+ App as well. I can see Atmos getting added soon also. I guess it's to each their own. I used to use just the Smartcast and did like it but it's much nicer having the Fire Stick and a lot more app options. The biggest thing I miss with the Smartcast is the Chromecast screensaver honestly.

post #1558 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
True but there is no Atmos on the Smartcast either. At least it has a Disney+ App as well. I can see Atmos getting added soon also. I guess it's to each their own. I used to use just the Smartcast and did like it but it's much nicer having the Fire Stick and a lot more app options. The biggest thing I miss with the Smartcast is the Chromecast screensaver honestly.

You mean the google curated photos screensaver? I definitely get that on my Vizio!

And I do get Atmos from the TV over ARC. I tested Vudu, movies anywhere and Amazon video and all 3 switch my AVR to Atmos if the movie/show is labeled as having atmos.
post #1559 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mean the google curated photos screensaver? I definitely get that on my Vizio!

And I do get Atmos from the TV over ARC. I tested Vudu, movies anywhere and Amazon video and all 3 switch my AVR to Atmos if the movie/show is labeled as having atmos.

I may have been misunderstood, I apologise. I meant the only thing I miss going to the Fire TV Stick from the Smartcast is the Screensaver. I do get that as well and it's one of my favorite backdrops. I was also saying that the Vizio gets you Atmos on the same apps as the Fire TV besides Vudu because the Fire Stick doesn't have that app.

toonj64 likes this.
post #1560 of 1979 Old 11-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Xbox has the most of all the features that I have found so far. It does Atmos/DV on Netflix and DV on Amazon prime (not sure about atmos). It does DV on Disney+ but not atmos (although apparently it did in beta)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page