Originally Posted by Schwa
That's the thing -- my comments aren't personal...well, I guess they're necessarily, but not intentionally, personal. But they're definitely not "attacks" -- they're just pointing out facts that should be obvious.
Anyway, you continually posting about all of your returns creates a false impression that the Vizio PX is somehow more flawed than its competitors. In addition, the ongoing return drama sets unrealistically high expectations for other potential/new owners and clutters up the thread with nonsense. Instead of discussing features, true bugs and fixes, and performance maximization of our TVs, the thread veers toward new owners asking "is this normal?"-type questions. And finally, ad infinitum exchanges drives up prices for everyone.
So, let's just get the predominant Q&A out of the way once and for all:
1. Some level of "jail bars" is normal.
2. Minor non-uniformity is normal.
3. Jail bar intensity varies from set to set.
4. Non-uniformity varies from set to set.
5. Returning multiple sets with the expectation of getting a set free from jail bars and/or with perfect uniformity is an exercise in futility.
6. If you cannot tolerate seeing jail bars pop up in certain challenging scenes, the the PX series is not for you.
7. If your non-unformity issue is visible in day-to-day viewing (as opposed to test patterns), you should exchange the set.
Thank you for your post. I just want to show a summary of the Vizio TVs I had since August.
- LEDs pattern should be hidden but is very noticeable in the left portion of the screen. Occasionally the whole picture turns yellow. No HDMI issue as I use smartcast. No other colors present.
– Occasionally the TV will not turn on. Have to unplug power and plug it back. Yellow splotched mostly in center and some other areas of the panel and pink splatches in both sides of the panel. occasional static noise (white and purple lines/speckles) running thru-out the screen. Resembles the infamous white dashed line in the 2017 P series. Using smartcast. Some vertical banding (acceptable). Also, HDR image is MUCH darker than same content in SDR. SDR is brighter and colors are more vivid. I had to increase back light to 100 and decrease gamma to 1.8 in order to get some pop in the image.
– Major vertical banding very noticeable in real content. This is when I found out that the enhanced viewing angle switched on mask these. I was the first to post this finding on this thread and on Reddit. I also reported this to Vizio as well. Also, occasionally the TV will not turn off unless I unplug the power cable and plug it back.
USB port does not work. Well it worked occasionally but when I turn the tv on while the external drive is plugged in, it takes few minutes for the Vizio logo to appear and then the tv locks up. Frequent audio dropouts watching direct tv. Changed inputs/HDMI cables to no avail. Dropouts are present also using the TV speakers.
– Unfortunately screen uniformity is not acceptable as there are yellow and purple splotches thru out and too many vertical banding. Very noticeable in real content.
– My current set, about 4 vertical banding about 3 – 4 inches wide. Other that that, the TV is GREAT. No DSE and pretty good white uniformity. I was not sure what to do with these and posted a pic in this thread and contacted Vizio to ask for their opinion. They asked me to send them pics of the issue and the following day I received and email from Vizio stating that they shipped me a new set. I was very surprised and still not sure if I should accept delivery as with my luck, I will probably receive a worse one.
2 out of my first 5 tvs had the blackouts using full HDMI color; issue that has been fixed in the last update.
I believe I just have a bad luck. As you can see, not all the tvs I had exhibited unacceptable vertical banding. The reason I keep coming back to Vizio is that when the TV is working there is nothing in the world that is comparable to it for this price point. I also like Vizio support. I tried other manufacturers but found vertical banding, DSE, color uniformity as bad if not worse and for much more money so I am going to stick with Vizio as I rather have issues with a TV that does not cost that much.