2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 498Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1681 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I've had my PX75 for just over a day now and I am still playing around with settings but I was underwhelmed with the picture while watching college football (OTA signal) yesterday. I've not noticed any jail bar or DSE issues but the picture seemed very soft or noisy while watching a football game on Fox (720P), something I did not notice with my P65-F1 from last year.



I'm still sitting the same 10 feet away and during long shots (showing all the players on the field) I could not make out the jersey numbers, especially with the white on red of the Badger's uniform. The numbers were all blurred. I'm guessing this is the "blooming" effect. I found that changing Active Full Array from Medium to Low helps some though I used Medium on my P65 with no ill effect. I am otherwise using the Rtings.com settings.



Are there any other settings that I should try to reduce the blooming for a less soft image ? I don't believe this is a motion problem because it was apparent during non action. I tried increasing sharpness but I did not like what I saw with anything above 5 as it added rings or halos around text. I might try increasing contrast but I suspect this will create other issues and result in a less accurate image.



This all makes me wonder if it is possible that the high number of dimming zones is too much of a good thing in some respects.
Watch a Thursday Night Football on Prime Video. The PQX may not be good at 720p OTA sports but I, personally, would look past that because in the near future sports will have better and better quality broadcasts and it's not the TV that sucks as evidenced by what the TV can do when streaming a game with high-quality signal.

I haven't even had a chance to try and watch anything OTA but I wouldn't judge the TV by a low quality broadcast. Some 720p streaming stuff looks fine other stuff looks like trash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
PlanetAVS likes this.
IngoTheBarbarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1682 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 09:16 AM
Member
 
MustangSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a new TV, I'm moving my Vizio P65-F1 to my bedroom and I'm looking at the Quantum X 75" and the LG C9 65". Obviously the Vizio is way bigger, but they are the exact same price. ($2500 CAD at Costco). Now I've had a bit of a love hate with my current Vizio, it looks good, but I had to return the first one due to issues (it would randomly turn off by itself and sometimes have these artifact lines with Dolby Vision material, and also had hard crashes like I would have to unplug it to fix it, remote would be unresponsive). I watch a lot of sports (soccer) and I have noticed sometimes in HDR material the local dimming going a little haywire, but nevertheless it offers a good image quality. I can't help but wonder if I get the Vizio PX 75 whether I'll have to deal with similar idiosyncrancies and if I should just stick to OLED, but at the same the immersion of the size is something in itself. Has anyone else here been in this position? The OLED also has HDMI 2.1 and G-Sync which are very attractive to me as I have a gaming HTPC with Nvidia video card and I will be getting PS5 next year which will presumably take advantage of HDMI 2.1 features.

Vizio P65-F1 with Denon S540BT and old Sony HTiB + Nvidia Shield
Sony KDL-70R550a with Sony HTC-CT660 Soundbar + Zidoo Z9S
MustangSVT is offline  
post #1683 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I wanted to ask you guys because I’m really torn with which TV I should keep.

Panel 1 has a neutral white but has a couple of vertical lines of brighter backlight. Panel 2 has spectacular uniformity but suffers from a purple leaning white. I pulled up Planet Earth Mountains and the intro to bears on the snow is a great section for both issues. I can choose between uneven display of snow or a purple tinged scene. I pulled up the same scene on my iPad Pro and there does seem to be bit of purple in the content but a 99% white test pattern shows a definite lean to purple in Panel 2.

Does anyone know if this purple tendency is just panel variance that should be corrected with a calibration? Or is it indicative of an issue with the unit? Colors overall seem better on Panel 1. I plan to calibrate but it may be 6 months to a year before I can afford it after buying so far outside my original budget.

I wouldn’t have opened the second box if the first one’s bright lines didn’t bug me during normal content. Heck, I normally would have just ordered one but I wanted to be sure with all of the complaints on this thread and my usual luck with electronics (my 2014 Vizio had to be replaced 3 times due to main board failures and a large swath of dead pixels). I opened Pandora’s box. My Type A personality should have just stuck with the first TV.
danni13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1684 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT View Post
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a new TV, I'm moving my Vizio P65-F1 to my bedroom and I'm looking at the Quantum X 75" and the LG C9 65". Obviously the Vizio is way bigger, but they are the exact same price. ($2500 CAD at Costco). Now I've had a bit of a love hate with my current Vizio, it looks good, but I had to return the first one due to issues (it would randomly turn off by itself and sometimes have these artifact lines with Dolby Vision material, and also had hard crashes like I would have to unplug it to fix it, remote would be unresponsive). I watch a lot of sports (soccer) and I have noticed sometimes in HDR material the local dimming going a little haywire, but nevertheless it offers a good image quality. I can't help but wonder if I get the Vizio PX 75 whether I'll have to deal with similar idiosyncrancies and if I should just stick to OLED, but at the same the immersion of the size is something in itself. Has anyone else here been in this position? The OLED also has HDMI 2.1 and G-Sync which are very attractive to me as I have a gaming HTPC with Nvidia video card and I will be getting PS5 next year which will presumably take advantage of HDMI 2.1 features.
I love the picture on the PQXs but if you're going to be an early adopter of tech that will take advantage of HDMI 2.1 then I think it's a no-brainer that you go with something that'll support that.

I think the Vizio makes the most sense for a non-hard-to-please person that is going to watch a lot of 4K movies/streaming. For A/V nerds I think there's too many things to pick apart: too many missing features and too much clunk.



Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IngoTheBarbarian is offline  
post #1685 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoTheBarbarian View Post
I love the picture on the PQXs but if you're going to be an early adopter of tech that will take advantage of HDMI 2.1 then I think it's a no-brainer that you go with something that'll support that.

I think the Vizio makes the most sense for a non-hard-to-please person that is going to watch a lot of 4K movies/streaming. For A/V nerds I think there's too many things to pick apart: too many missing features and too much clunk.



Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If you’re using it simply as a movie TV with external source components and care solely about picture quality there are few missing features. If you are a gamer, watch a lot of 720p TV, or want good integrated streaming apps, I agree the PQX lacks.

Overall, OLED is the ultimate picture available for dark rooms and those models have great features. If I was picking between 65 OLED and 75 LCD I would go OLED every day, especially for the same price but my only priority is picture quality for movies.

Edit - something to consider with OLED is burn in for those who game.
danni13 is offline  
post #1686 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
He’s not getting bad panels; he’s refusing to accept the limitations of the technology used in the TV. There is no possible way that a single person can get nine “broken” TVs in a row (I’m including the Samsungs). The probability of that is probably lower than the likelihood of an asteroid hitting the planet in the next 10 minutes and killing all life on Earth. I’m not kidding at all when I say it’s textbook obsessive/compulsive behavior.

@meduzadg , if you haven’t realized it by now, ALL of these sets have one problem or another. You will not find a perfect one so stop trying to do so. Seriously, it’s a waste of time and it’s unhealthy. Stop looking at the TV and start watching it. I can’t believe that Vizio hasn’t told you to kick rocks yet...you’re going to permanently burn your bridge with them very soon.

Honestly, at the price these sets are selling for right now, a Vizio employee could come over to my house and punch me in the face every 15 minutes and the sets would still be a superb bargain. The jail bars are part of the deal and are being blown way out of proportion...even on the worst of the three sets I had they were very rarely visible.
I disagree with you! Accepting sub-par quality will only make manufacturers to continue with their poor-quality assurance process. It is not the consumer that is in fault. You should not spend your hard-earned money on a sub-par quality. If you find an issue, you should complain to the manufacturer. The more complaints the more they will listen as after all; they are losing money and reputation. Not all the tv’s that I returned had issues with unacceptable bars. Some had major DSE, whites that look yellow and purple, tv is not turning on, tv is not turning off, whole image turns yellow and tv locks up, picture goes dark and only audio and subtitles present, USB port is dead, Audio dropouts, and the list goes on. I DID NOT REQUEST VIZIO TO REPLACE MY CURRENT TV. They made the decision because they thought that my panel is defective! Now, do I have obsessive/compulsive behavior? Yes, but it is all about quality. I have been working in the entertainment industry for over 30 years and I know all about quality. Something that manufacturers today forgot about. I would not give them a pass!
meduzadg is offline  
post #1687 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,347
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
I disagree with you! Accepting sub-par quality will only make manufacturers to continue with their poor-quality assurance process. It is not the consumer that is in fault. You should not spend your hard-earned money on a sub-par quality. If you find an issue, you should complain to the manufacturer. The more complaints the more they will listen as after all; they are losing money and reputation. Not all the tv’s that I returned had issues with unacceptable bars. Some had major DSE, whites that look yellow and purple, tv is not turning on, tv is not turning off, whole image turns yellow and tv locks up, picture goes dark and only audio and subtitles present, USB port is dead, Audio dropouts, and the list goes on. I DID NOT REQUEST VIZIO TO REPLACE MY CURRENT TV. They made the decision because they thought that my panel is defective! Now, do I have obsessive/compulsive behavior? Yes, but it is all about quality. I have been working in the entertainment industry for over 30 years and I know all about quality. Something that manufacturers today forgot about. I would not give them a pass!
If your desire is to get a perfect TV then you should also expect to pay waaaaay more than $1600 (or the $3500 MSRP for that matter) for it. Just look how much a professional HDR grading monitor costs -- it's at least an order of magnitude greater than what the consumer is paying. If you can't afford to cough up the big bucks, you'll just have to accept something that's less than perfect.

In order for manufacturers to hit consumer-level price points compromises have to be made. Compromises are not defects. Look at reviews - they all say there is panel-to-panel variance. That said, I actually believe that you got a few bad TVs. But it is literally impossible for you to have gotten NINE bad TVs. Considering how many TVs you've been through, you should know better than anyone that no TV is perfect.

One other thing...if you think you're sticking it to The Man by returning tons of TVs, you're not. But if that's what it takes for you to justify your behavior, then ok...I guess.
Schwa is offline  
post #1688 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
If your desire is to get a perfect TV then you should also expect to pay waaaaay more than $1600 (or the $3500 MSRP for that matter) for it. Just look how much a professional HDR grading monitor costs -- it's at least an order of magnitude greater than what the consumer is paying. If you can't afford to cough up the big bucks, you'll just have to accept something that's less than perfect.

In order for manufacturers to hit consumer-level price points compromises have to be made. Compromises are not defects. Look at reviews - they all say there is panel-to-panel variance. That said, I actually believe that you got a few bad TVs. But it is literally impossible for you to have gotten NINE bad TVs. Considering how many TVs you've been through, you should know better than anyone that no TV is perfect.

One other thing...if you think you're sticking it to The Man by returning tons of TVs, you're not. But if that's what it takes for you to justify your behavior, then ok...I guess.
OK. you won. We just need to agree to disagree and move on. There is no need to continue these personal attacks on this thread. I am sure there are other threads created for this purpose.
leigh13 likes this.
meduzadg is offline  
post #1689 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Member
 
GoLaLakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoTheBarbarian View Post
Watch a Thursday Night Football on Prime Video. The PQX may not be good at 720p OTA sports but I, personally, would look past that because in the near future sports will have better and better quality broadcasts and it's not the TV that sucks as evidenced by what the TV can do when streaming a game with high-quality signal.

I haven't even had a chance to try and watch anything OTA but I wouldn't judge the TV by a low quality broadcast. Some 720p streaming stuff looks fine other stuff looks like trash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Most of my viewing is sports. Laker games on the Laker channel in 1080i look great. Football on Fox and CBS looks fantastic. EPSN and ABC are the only channels I have been disappointed with, but they are only 720P. I can only imagine what a real 4K sports broadcast will look like. Have only been able to see samples on youtube, but those samples almost look like 3D. I suspect by next NFL Season, we will have regular 4k broadcast that everyone can see.
GoLaLakers is offline  
post #1690 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,543
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I've had my PX75 for just over a day now and I am still playing around with settings but I was underwhelmed with the picture while watching college football (OTA signal) yesterday. I've not noticed any jail bar or DSE issues but the picture seemed very soft or noisy while watching a football game on Fox (720P), something I did not notice with my P65-F1 from last year.

I'm still sitting the same 10 feet away and during long shots (showing all the players on the field) I could not make out the jersey numbers, especially with the white on red of the Badger's uniform. The numbers were all blurred. I'm guessing this is the "blooming" effect. I found that changing Active Full Array from Medium to Low helps some though I used Medium on my P65 with no ill effect. I am otherwise using the Rtings.com settings.

Are there any other settings that I should try to reduce the blooming for a less soft image ? I don't believe this is a motion problem because it was apparent during non action. I tried increasing sharpness but I did not like what I saw with anything above 5 as it added rings or halos around text. I might try increasing contrast but I suspect this will create other issues and result in a less accurate image.

This all makes me wonder if it is possible that the high number of dimming zones is too much of a good thing in some respects.
Fox 720P OTA is terrible, and looks bad on my Sony 900F as well. It probably looks worse for you since you have moved up to 75".

How do 1080i, 1080P and 4K HDR sources look?
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #1691 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoTheBarbarian View Post
Watch a Thursday Night Football on Prime Video. The PQX may not be good at 720p OTA sports but I, personally, would look past that because in the near future sports will have better and better quality broadcasts and it's not the TV that sucks as evidenced by what the TV can do when streaming a game with high-quality signal.
I will definitely give that a try as a means of comparison. I do have Prime but I had not even considered that the picture quality of Thursday Night Football on Prime would be better than OTA. I'm watching some NFL right now and, though still a little soft compared to my P65-F1, it is definitely an improvement over what I was seeing yesterday and that includes Fox at 720P. The big difference is that the Badgers' game yesterday was sunny but both NFL games I am watching now are overcast. Still, I think there must have been something wrong with the camera (or cameraman) during the Badgers' game. Thanks.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #1692 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Fox 720P OTA is terrible, and looks bad on my Sony 900F as well. It probably looks worse for you since you have moved up to 75".

How do 1080i, 1080P and 4K HDR sources look?
The 1080i broadcast on CBS does look a little better than Fox, watching NFL right now. I agree that part of it is likely just going from 65" to 75". On both broadcasts, the picture does still appear a little "softer" versus my P65-F1 but I expect that won't be the case with true 4K/HDR material. I've not really had a chance to do any HDR viewing yet, except briefly some Netflix to dial in picture settings.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #1693 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Member
 
Ruhnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is this a normal amount of bloom for this kind of screen/TV? I've never had an LCD as my main display before so not used to dealing with it. In fact, DSE and banding doesn't even bother me, it's the damn blooming that's keeping me from 100% loving the set.

Ruhnie is offline  
post #1694 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,543
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
[quote=Ruhnie;58867466]Is this a normal amount of bloom for this kind of screen/TV? I've never had an LCD as my main display before so not used to dealing with it. In fact, DSE and banding doesn't even bother me, it's the damn blooming that's keeping me from 100% loving the set.


Local dimming usually doesn't activate for menus on many (if not all) TVs. Do you see this level of blooming in regular content?
toonj64 likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #1695 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Schwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,347
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
Quote:
Originally Posted by meduzadg View Post
OK. you won. We just need to agree to disagree and move on. There is no need to continue these personal attacks on this thread. I am sure there are other threads created for this purpose.
That's the thing -- my comments aren't personal...well, I guess they're necessarily, but not intentionally, personal. But they're definitely not "attacks" -- they're just pointing out facts that should be obvious.

Anyway, you continually posting about all of your returns creates a false impression that the Vizio PX is somehow more flawed than its competitors. In addition, the ongoing return drama sets unrealistically high expectations for other potential/new owners and clutters up the thread with nonsense. Instead of discussing features, true bugs and fixes, and performance maximization of our TVs, the thread veers toward new owners asking "is this normal?"-type questions. And finally, your ad infinitum exchanges drive up prices for everyone.

So, let's just get the predominant Q&A out of the way once and for all:

1. Some level of "jail bars" is normal.
2. Minor non-uniformity is normal.
3. Jail bar intensity varies from set to set.
4. Non-uniformity varies from set to set.
5. Returning multiple sets with the expectation of getting a set free from jail bars and/or with perfect uniformity is an exercise in futility.
6. If you cannot tolerate seeing jail bars pop up in certain challenging scenes, the the PX series is not for you.
7. If your non-unformity issue is visible in day-to-day viewing (as opposed to test patterns), you should exchange the set.
ProjectEF and toonj64 like this.

Last edited by Schwa; 11-25-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Schwa is offline  
post #1696 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 03:55 PM
Member
 
Luke Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Is this a normal amount of bloom for this kind of screen/TV? I've never had an LCD as my main display before so not used to dealing with it. In fact, DSE and banding doesn't even bother me, it's the damn blooming that's keeping me from 100% loving the set.
Ahh, finally a comparison! That's how mine looks too, taking a picture makes it look worse than in person too right? It's especially bad with white text on grey backgrounds like with Xbox One menus. The picture makes banding or jail bars (whatever it's called) look bad too because I don't even notice it in person.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191122_161829_1574636073500.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2645166

Last edited by Luke Davis; 11-24-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Luke Davis is offline  
post #1697 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toonj64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Could anyone please confirm that using a old crappy iphone (on iOS 7 or something) can do Airplay with the Disney+ app on our Vizios??

And more importantly, do we get 4K dolby vision and Atmos using this method??

Turns out finding an old iphone isnt that hard but if it doesnt work to "cast" Disney+, it's useless.

Who here has or can try it?

Thanks guys!
toonj64 is offline  
post #1698 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,543
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2255 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Could anyone please confirm that using a old crappy iphone (on iOS 7 or something) can do Airplay with the Disney+ app on our Vizios??



And more importantly, do we get 4K dolby vision and Atmos using this method??



Turns out finding an old iphone isnt that hard but if it doesnt work to "cast" Disney+, it's useless.



Who here has or can try it?



Thanks guys!
I believe you need IOS 11

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
toonj64 likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #1699 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Could anyone please confirm that using a old crappy iphone (on iOS 7 or something) can do Airplay with the Disney+ app on our Vizios??



And more importantly, do we get 4K dolby vision and Atmos using this method??



Turns out finding an old iphone isnt that hard but if it doesnt work to "cast" Disney+, it's useless.



Who here has or can try it?



Thanks guys!
Why don't you buy a $25 Fire Stick 4K for Disney+?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IngoTheBarbarian is offline  
post #1700 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toonj64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoTheBarbarian View Post
Why don't you buy a $25 Fire Stick 4K for Disney+?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I did.

Fire stick doesnt do Atmos for Disney + (nor netflix for that matter), and I get audio drops / cutouts 0.5-1 second many times per hour on all apps. Same result plugged directly into TV or plugged in AVR. The Fire stick is the only device that has ever had audio drops on my setup (Yamaha AVR)

I'm looking for a proper solution for Disney +, 4K DV and Atmos
toonj64 is offline  
post #1701 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
I did.



Fire stick doesnt do Atmos for Disney + (nor netflix for that matter), and I get audio drops / cutouts 0.5-1 second many times per hour on all apps. Same result plugged directly into TV or plugged in AVR. The Fire stick is the only device that has ever had audio drops on my setup (Yamaha AVR)



I'm looking for a proper solution for Disney +, 4K DV and Atmos
Ah...

That sucks. Haven't had any issues with the Fire Stick but I'm just using the analog stereo out to a bookshelf system, for now.

I'm just happy that Dolby Vision works with Disney+.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IngoTheBarbarian is offline  
post #1702 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
toonj64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 565
If a PX65 owner could tell me if their iphone gives out 4K dolby atmos using airplay, then I can at least know if I need to look elsewhere for a solution.

I just can't believe how something so simple has to be so complicated.

Having a good library of movies and shows is great and all but dear god do I hate streaming! For like a dozen reasons.
NOTHING ever just works or even mostly work. It's always a shat show
toonj64 is offline  
post #1703 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,198
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13003 Post(s)
Liked: 10645
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoTheBarbarian View Post
Watch a Thursday Night Football on Prime Video. The PQX may not be good at 720p OTA sports but I, personally, would look past that because in the near future sports will have better and better quality broadcasts and it's not the TV that sucks as evidenced by what the TV can do when streaming a game with high-quality signal.

I haven't even had a chance to try and watch anything OTA but I wouldn't judge the TV by a low quality broadcast. Some 720p streaming stuff looks fine other stuff looks like trash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes it is the TV. Vizio has poor upconversion with 480P and 720P content. That was my biggest drawback, when looking at this TV vs the Samsung Q80. Scroll downand look at test results for 480P and 720P.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...quantum-x-2019
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #1704 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 946
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
That's the thing -- my comments aren't personal...well, I guess they're necessarily, but not intentionally, personal. But they're definitely not "attacks" -- they're just pointing out facts that should be obvious.

Anyway, you continually posting about all of your returns creates a false impression that the Vizio PX is somehow more flawed than its competitors. In addition, the ongoing return drama sets unrealistically high expectations for other potential/new owners and clutters up the thread with nonsense. Instead of discussing features, true bugs and fixes, and performance maximization of our TVs, the thread veers toward new owners asking "is this normal?"-type questions. And finally, ad infinitum exchanges drives up prices for everyone.

So, let's just get the predominant Q&A out of the way once and for all:

1. Some level of "jail bars" is normal.
2. Minor non-uniformity is normal.
3. Jail bar intensity varies from set to set.
4. Non-uniformity varies from set to set.
5. Returning multiple sets with the expectation of getting a set free from jail bars and/or with perfect uniformity is an exercise in futility.
6. If you cannot tolerate seeing jail bars pop up in certain challenging scenes, the the PX series is not for you.
7. If your non-unformity issue is visible in day-to-day viewing (as opposed to test patterns), you should exchange the set.
Thank you for your post. I just want to show a summary of the Vizio TVs I had since August.


TV #1 - LEDs pattern should be hidden but is very noticeable in the left portion of the screen. Occasionally the whole picture turns yellow. No HDMI issue as I use smartcast. No other colors present.

TV #2 – Occasionally the TV will not turn on. Have to unplug power and plug it back. Yellow splotched mostly in center and some other areas of the panel and pink splatches in both sides of the panel. occasional static noise (white and purple lines/speckles) running thru-out the screen. Resembles the infamous white dashed line in the 2017 P series. Using smartcast. Some vertical banding (acceptable). Also, HDR image is MUCH darker than same content in SDR. SDR is brighter and colors are more vivid. I had to increase back light to 100 and decrease gamma to 1.8 in order to get some pop in the image.

TV #3 – Major vertical banding very noticeable in real content. This is when I found out that the enhanced viewing angle switched on mask these. I was the first to post this finding on this thread and on Reddit. I also reported this to Vizio as well. Also, occasionally the TV will not turn off unless I unplug the power cable and plug it back.

TV #4 USB port does not work. Well it worked occasionally but when I turn the tv on while the external drive is plugged in, it takes few minutes for the Vizio logo to appear and then the tv locks up. Frequent audio dropouts watching direct tv. Changed inputs/HDMI cables to no avail. Dropouts are present also using the TV speakers.

TV #5 – Unfortunately screen uniformity is not acceptable as there are yellow and purple splotches thru out and too many vertical banding. Very noticeable in real content.

TV #6 – My current set, about 4 vertical banding about 3 – 4 inches wide. Other that that, the TV is GREAT. No DSE and pretty good white uniformity. I was not sure what to do with these and posted a pic in this thread and contacted Vizio to ask for their opinion. They asked me to send them pics of the issue and the following day I received and email from Vizio stating that they shipped me a new set. I was very surprised and still not sure if I should accept delivery as with my luck, I will probably receive a worse one.

2 out of my first 5 tvs had the blackouts using full HDMI color; issue that has been fixed in the last update.

I believe I just have a bad luck. As you can see, not all the tvs I had exhibited unacceptable vertical banding. The reason I keep coming back to Vizio is that when the TV is working there is nothing in the world that is comparable to it for this price point. I also like Vizio support. I tried other manufacturers but found vertical banding, DSE, color uniformity as bad if not worse and for much more money so I am going to stick with Vizio as I rather have issues with a TV that does not cost that much.
meduzadg is offline  
post #1705 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 27,198
Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13003 Post(s)
Liked: 10645
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
If your desire is to get a perfect TV then you should also expect to pay waaaaay more than $1600 (or the $3500 MSRP for that matter) for it. Just look how much a professional HDR grading monitor costs -- it's at least an order of magnitude greater than what the consumer is paying. If you can't afford to cough up the big bucks, you'll just have to accept something that's less than perfect.

In order for manufacturers to hit consumer-level price points compromises have to be made. Compromises are not defects. Look at reviews - they all say there is panel-to-panel variance. That said, I actually believe that you got a few bad TVs. But it is literally impossible for you to have gotten NINE bad TVs. Considering how many TVs you've been through, you should know better than anyone that no TV is perfect.

One other thing...if you think you're sticking it to The Man by returning tons of TVs, you're not. But if that's what it takes for you to justify your behavior, then ok...I guess.
Yes, just driving up manufacturers costs, which in turn will eventually have to be passed onto customers by increasing selling price on future TV's.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #1706 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes it is the TV. Vizio has poor upconversion with 480P and 720P content. That was my biggest drawback, when looking at this TV vs the Samsung Q80. Scroll downand look at test results for 480P and 720P.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...quantum-x-2019
So I assume when playing a DVD it will look bad, no matter what the player is outputting it at? Whether it's a 1080p player set to 1080p, or a 4k player ?
Jim McC is offline  
post #1707 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 10:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
So I assume when playing a DVD it will look bad, no matter what the player is outputting it at? Whether it's a 1080p player set to 1080p, or a 4k player ?
No. Not all 720p looks bad. In that case the DVD players upscaling would have the most effect. Just watch some of the Pluto TV channels. They don't look any worse than on my older Samsung and Sonys. Very livable considering, I would assume, most of us try to avoid watching 720p content, anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IngoTheBarbarian is offline  
post #1708 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Member
 
mosdmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
So I assume when playing a DVD it will look bad, no matter what the player is outputting it at? Whether it's a 1080p player set to 1080p, or a 4k player ?


From my understanding, If you are playing from a standard DVD player at 480p and the TV is upscaling then yes. If you have a blu-ray player playing the DVD and it is upconverting to 1080p (or higher) and sending it to the TV then the issue of the poor scaling of 480/720 on the Vizio doesn’t come into play.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Garrett likes this.
mosdmc is online now  
post #1709 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Currently own a 75” Vizio P Series Quantum (2019) that I will be returning for either the Vizio PX or Sony X900f.

My biggest concern with the current sent is OTA picture quality. Admittedly, I am on a 75” tv sitting 10 feet away. 720p (Fox) is almost unbearable on the current set.

What am I losing going with the Sony x900f?
hey_wayne is offline  
post #1710 of 2198 Old 11-24-2019, 11:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_wayne View Post
What am I losing going with the Sony x900f?
An astonishingly bright picture with awesome dynamic range.

I used to be a "Sony Guy" many years ago but today I care a lot less about looking at a natural "cinema-like" picture and I care more about what just looks good. The Sony LCDs seem to be stuck back a few years, in my assessment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
IngoTheBarbarian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off