2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 527Likes

post #2251 of 2283 Old 02-06-2020, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Xbox One or Fire TV Cube are the sources. Also had DirecTV set up in 4k once. All three had the same issue. I just reset it to factory, left the color space and color calibration to auto. No matter what settings I try, when I turn on HDR or DV, everything goes dark and dull. The xbox allows me to turn them on and off so it's very easy to see the difference. Could it really be defective? Others had this same issue earlier in the thread. When I turn the color depth up to 36bit on my xbox, you can barely see the image it gets so dark. Turn off HDR and DV and everything's perfect again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2283 Old 02-07-2020, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilcox900 View Post
Xbox One or Fire TV Cube are the sources.
Have you confirmed the same dim picture with HDR/DV content in the native apps? That should let you confirm if it's related to external sources/cables/HDMI ports or if it's something with the LCD panel or software.

Are you sure all your HDMI cables are certified for 4K HDR? They should support at least 18Gbps bandwidth, and try direct connection to the TV bypassing any AV receiver if you are using one.

I was having problems with unstable 4K on my FireStick 4K and Dolby Atmos sound cutting out on the XBox One. Turned out my "4K-certified" HDMI cables were a few years old and did not have the full bandwidth required. So the XBox would display 4K HDR content, but when coupled with Atmos it was enough to exceed the limits of the cable and the audio would drop here and there.

Vizio PX75-G1 | Yamaha RX-V683 | 5.1.2 Micca in-wall surround speakers
post #2253 of 2283 Old 02-07-2020, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh13 View Post
Are you sure all your HDMI cables are certified for 4K HDR?
There is no such thing.

All that matters is the cable is rated
*Certified Premium High Speed*
https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable
toonj64 likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 02-07-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a video that is encoded with DTS-HD MA audio. I am attempting to play it with Kodi on an Nvidia ShieldTV. The audio will not play. Kodi reads the audio as DTS-MA. I have pass-thru in Kodi enabled, and I have selected all the formats as shown in the attached screenshots. I have tried changing the ShieldTV settings between the two shown in the attached screenshots, neither of the settings work. I have the ShieldTV connected to HDMI 2, and the Vizio SB36514-G6 soundbar connected to HDMI 1(ARC). The TV (PX75-G1) does not recognize any audio with this video file playing. I am trying to figure out what the limiting device is. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank You,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VLC Codec Info.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	2682860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodi Audio Settings.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	653.6 KB
ID:	2682862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodi Player Settings.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	2682864   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShieldTV Audio Settings 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2682866   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShieldTV Audio Settings 2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	834.5 KB
ID:	2682868  

post #2255 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-house View Post
I have a video that is encoded with DTS-HD MA audio. I am attempting to play it with Kodi on an Nvidia ShieldTV. The audio will not play. Kodi reads the audio as DTS-MA. I have pass-thru in Kodi enabled, and I have selected all the formats as shown in the attached screenshots. I have tried changing the ShieldTV settings between the two shown in the attached screenshots, neither of the settings work. I have the ShieldTV connected to HDMI 2, and the Vizio SB36514-G6 soundbar connected to HDMI 1(ARC). The TV (PX75-G1) does not recognize any audio with this video file playing. I am trying to figure out what the limiting device is. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank You,
Have you tried connecting the Shield directly to the soundbar via HDMI?
post #2256 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Have you tried connecting the Shield directly to the soundbar via HDMI?
I have not tried that yet, I suppose if that works then the TV is the device that is not passing it through.
post #2257 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not tried that yet, I suppose if that works then the TV is the device that is not passing it through.
That's probably the case. eARC is probably required to pass lossless DTS-HD and the Vizio doesn't have eARC capability. Generally speaking its better from an audio perspective to connect your components to the soundbar/AVR, as long as you have enough available inputs.
Briguy65 likes this.
post #2258 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 02:56 PM

HDMI Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
That's probably the case. eARC is probably required to pass lossless DTS-HD and the Vizio doesn't have eARC capability. Generally speaking its better from an audio perspective to connect your components to the soundbar/AVR, as long as you have enough available inputs.
It does work if I have the ShieldTV plugged directly into the Soundbar, thank you. So, since the soundbar has only one input I am thinking about getting an HDMI switch to put in front of the soundbar. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions of an HDMI switch that works well and can be controlled with a remote?
post #2259 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does work if I have the ShieldTV plugged directly into the Soundbar, thank you. So, since the soundbar has only one input I am thinking about getting an HDMI switch to put in front of the soundbar. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions of an HDMI switch that works well and can be controlled with a remote?
Unfortunately that's one of the limitations of a soundbar vs an AVR (limited HDMI inputs). You might want to research switches on one of the other forums such as the soundbar forum. From what i have heard, they can sometimes create audio sync issues.
post #2260 of 2283 Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 PM

Hey guys,
Do y'all think there will be major big differences between the 2019 PQX and the 2020? Besides what CES has shown us, if y'all had the opportunity to return your PQX75 and wait for the 2020 PQX75 or 85, would y'all do it?

I love my PQX75! I think I landed a good panel but it did that whole not turning on thing. My return policy is up on Feb 20 at Costco. So im literally arguing with myself about returning it. I don't want to because I have a good panel but I want to because I don't want to run the risk of it breaking down the road if there is something wrong with it and I could've returned it to avoid all that.
I'm also thinking, if I return it, do I get another PQX75 when they come in and take a chance getting a messed up panel or should I just wait and get the 2020 PQX75 or 85.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks!!
post #2261 of 2283 Old 02-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir. Glock View Post
Besides what CES has shown us, if y'all had the opportunity to return your PQX75 and wait for the 2020 PQX75 or 85, would y'all do it?
I got my PX75 about the same time as you, and though we had a bit of a rocky start together (locking up and reboots on any IR activity), after those first two weeks this TV has been a dream. The features on the 2020 sets that interest me are eARC and FreeSync, though I don't think either is enough to justify the wait and what's sure to be a hefty price difference. eARC would be nice for uncompressed audio formats that are piped through the native apps, but that's about the only use case I'd have for it. As it stands, I can use my AVR as the switching source and get the best audio available. And with a FireStick 4K under $50, I can upgrade to whatever Amazon puts out next year or beyond for a lot less than the cost of a new TV.

For me it really comes down to price. And I know this is officially "no price talk", but if you go back to the beginning of this thread there were lots of folks who thought $2400 was a bargain for this set in the spring of 2019. We waited another six months and got it for 33% less, which is still an absolute steal as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the 2020 sets going that low for Black Friday this year, and even if they do, it's a risk and you're going another nine months (from now) without that sweet 75-inch 4K HDR goodness.

The 85" is tempting but you can probably expect at least a 25% premium over the 75-inch, so we're probably looking at around $3500 at launch. That's a little rich for my blood and would probably have me considering OLED instead.
puckfreak likes this.

post #2262 of 2283 Old 02-10-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
There is no such thing.

All that matters is the cable is rated
*Certified Premium High Speed*
https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable
OK, fair enough. I had some older HDMI cables that were premium at the time of purchase, labelled High Speed with Audio Return Channel. They could pass a 4K HDR signal, and Dolby Atmos/TrueHD, but combining the two seemed to exceed the limits of the cable. What I understand is that you'll need a cable rated for at least 18Gbps transmission. Whatever features or specs are advertised otherwise may be irrelevant.

As it stands, the AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cables have handled everything I've thrown at them at under $5 for a 3-foot cable. At that price I'll throw them away every few years if it turns out they don't support whatever the next format happens to be. I actually just tossed a huge big of HDMI cables up to 15-feet in length because they were older spec and I didn't want to spend time troubleshooting them in the future.

post #2263 of 2283 Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 AM

[QUOTE=leigh13;59224938]
Quote:
Besides what CES has shown us, if y'all had the opportunity to return your PQX75 and wait for the 2020 PQX75 or 85, would y'all do it?
I got my PX75 about the same time as you, and though we had a bit of a rocky start together (locking up and reboots on any IR activity), after those first two weeks this TV has been a dream. The features on the 2020 sets that interest me are eARC and FreeSync, though I don't think either is enough to justify the wait and what's sure to be a hefty price difference. eARC would be nice for uncompressed audio formats that are piped through the native apps, but that's about the only use case I'd have for it. As it stands, I can use my AVR as the switching source and get the best audio available. And with a FireStick 4K under $50, I can upgrade to whatever Amazon puts out next year or beyond for a lot less than the cost of a new TV.

Appreciate the response!

So let's say you know you have a good panel when it comes to picture quality, DSE, banding and so on but your PQX was still locking up and messing up, would you take a chance and return it for another PQX75? Even though you'd be taking a chance with possibly getting a bad panel?
As far as the 2020 models, I'm curious about Vizio's new processor and the gaming side of it. That 85 inch at CES looked very impressive!
But like you said, the price plays a big part in it.
post #2264 of 2283 Old 02-10-2020, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh13 View Post

For me it really comes down to price. And I know this is officially "no price talk", but if you go back to the beginning of this thread there were lots of folks who thought $2400 was a bargain for this set in the spring of 2019. We waited another six months and got it for 33% less, which is still an absolute steal as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the 2020 sets going that low for Black Friday this year, and even if they do, it's a risk and you're going another nine months (from now) without that sweet 75-inch 4K HDR goodness.

The 85" is tempting but you can probably expect at least a 25% premium over the 75-inch, so we're probably looking at around $3500 at launch. That's a little rich for my blood and would probably have me considering OLED instead.
After a little over a month of researching TVs (looking for the much lauded balance of value vs performance) I landed on the Vizio P Series Quantum. The battle came down to this TV, the Sony X900F and the Samsung Q70. Specs alone seemed to favor the P Series Quantum. Though I had some trepidation about the QC with Vizio TVs and was even more hesitant about trying my luck with the TCL 6 Series. All that said, after watching the Vizio P Series on Best Buy for a few weeks the price dropped substantially and I couldn't pass up the bargain. Fast forward a little over a week now and I find myself torn. The TV looks amazing, the design and the picture quality are just unbelievable, especially when considering the price.

But then there's the caveats many people have mentioned. The TV has powered itself on over night once (it was in Quick Start at the time which seems to be a common solution for some), the TV has some audio sync issues in Prime Video (which could very well be the Prime Video app itself and is easily corrected by adjusting audio settings on the TV), the SmartCast system has also struggled to load a few times and has required a reboot to load the screen. Other than these issues the TV has been a dream but I am fearful it will fall apart over time, either slowly or randomly. Part of me thinks for the price I should accept these small quirks and hope for the best. But I also don't want to be stuck with a $1K+ paper weight if something goes severely wrong anytime after the warranty period. What do you guys think? Keep it and roll the dice or pony up a little more money for something else?
post #2265 of 2283 Old 02-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got a px65-g1. I'm coming from a p65-e1 and plasmas before that. First impressions: terrible blooming on calibrated setting. Twice as bad at an angle. Also notice backlight sometimes struggles to keep up. Now TV flickers when watching ATT Now app.
Uploaded example to YouTube. https://youtu.be/hMzy7jf4-8k
post #2266 of 2283 Old 02-13-2020, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post
Just got a px65-g1. I'm coming from a p65-e1 and plasmas before that. First impressions: terrible blooming on calibrated setting. Twice as bad at an angle. Also notice backlight sometimes struggles to keep up. Now TV flickers when watching ATT Now app.
Uploaded example to YouTube. https://youtu.be/hMzy7jf4-8k
Yes the blooming on mine is staring to really bother me, coming from a C1. Everything else about it is much better, but no matter how I tinker with it I can't minimize it enough without compromising other settings. It's just blue blobs around most bright light sources, whether gaming or watching movies in HDR or SDR (obviously worse in HDR on the Medium FALD setting though). Since I also have a large number of vertical bars as well (which I know are also common for LCD TVs but I'm talking a whole bunch on one side of the panel), I may exchange it for another one and see if there's any difference at all.
post #2267 of 2283 Old 02-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Anyone out there having, brightness (or gamma) fluctuations with HDR 10+ content via the Amazon native app? It was seemingly working fine when I first acquired Amazon a few days ago but since yesterday I have seen brightness fluctuations. This is only occurring with HDR 10+ content via the native amazon prime app. Dolby Vision and HDR 10 are fine on other native apps and do not have any HDR 10+ content from any other source to diagnose where the problem might lie. Anyone else having problems with the newly implemented HDR 10+?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2268 of 2283 Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Anyone out there having, brightness (or gamma) fluctuations with HDR 10+ content via the Amazon native app? It was seemingly working fine when I first acquired Amazon a few days ago but since yesterday I have seen brightness fluctuations. This is only occurring with HDR 10+ content via the native amazon prime app. Dolby Vision and HDR 10 are fine on other native apps and do not have any HDR 10+ content from any other source to diagnose where the problem might lie. Anyone else having problems with the newly implemented HDR 10+?

Since my internet is crap, I have seen Amazon video sort of flip between HDR10 and HDR10+ (I saw it on the top bar). This kind of glitchiness will probably mess with brightness. That being said, HDR, DV can be glitchy in of itself so sometimes you have to reboot your tv for levels to get back to where they are supposed to be. It happened to me quite a lot.
post #2269 of 2283 Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 568
PSA for folks looking for some eye candy:

A new Shaun the sheep movie is now on Netflix, 4K Dolby vision and everything. I m going to watch it tonight with the little one.
The later seasons of the show looked amazing already on my PX65 so this should be a treat!
leigh13 likes this.
post #2270 of 2283 Old 02-14-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So let's say you know you have a good panel when it comes to picture quality, DSE, banding and so on but your PQX was still locking up and messing up, would you take a chance and return it for another PQX75? Even though you'd be taking a chance with possibly getting a bad panel?
I would absolutely send it back or get warranty repairs if there were still issues with the stability of the set. A perfect picture is pointless if the TV doesn't work reliably otherwise. That's one of the reasons I purchased from Costco and added the SquareTrade warranty. I know it's not a guarantee, but it should get me five years of protection from having an expensive plastic wall decoration should something go seriously wrong.

post #2271 of 2283 Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is this amount of blooming normal?

Last edited by redlikemethodz; 02-15-2020 at 01:39 PM.
post #2272 of 2283 Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow. So many complaints about Vizio. Guess I’ll be taking it off my 85” shopping list. If they can’t get the 65” right, no way the 85” is going to have good quality.
post #2273 of 2283 Old 02-15-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
Wow. So many complaints about Vizio. Guess I’ll be taking it off my 85” shopping list. If they can’t get the 65” right, no way the 85” is going to have good quality.
Good luck in your search for the perfect TV
jconjason likes this.
post #2274 of 2283 Old 02-15-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardennj View Post
What?! So many? It's the internet and it's where people come to fix issues, not post how good their set is.

Also, show me a brand that doesn't have online posts about consumers "complaining".

Samsung 65" KS8000
Denon AVR 6300H
Klipsch 5.1.2
HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #2275 of 2283 Old 02-15-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post
Is this amount of blooming normal?

Why be so concerned about blooming on menus? And the first photo is at a severe angle. Even non-VA panels would likely show flaws at that angle. Lastly, you probably should not have purchased a VA panel if you intended to mount the TV so high above a fireplace. VA panels have poor viewing angles but better black performance than other LCD panels.

Sean
post #2276 of 2283 Old 02-16-2020, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just bought the sony UBP-UX700 4k bluray player cause I wanted Dolby vision on disk. I get dolby vision but no atmos when my player is going into the tv. If I go into my receiver I get atmos but no dolby vision cause my receiver cant pass it. I get vudu atmos from the smart cast so I would think atmos would work if my player is going into my tv but I only get dolby 7.1. Is it a setting in my TV? Or the player that I'm missing?
post #2277 of 2283 Old 02-16-2020, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmzz View Post
I just bought the sony UBP-UX700 4k bluray player cause I wanted Dolby vision on disk. I get dolby vision but no atmos when my player is going into the tv. If I go into my receiver I get atmos but no dolby vision cause my receiver cant pass it. I get vudu atmos from the smart cast so I would think atmos would work if my player is going into my tv but I only get dolby 7.1. Is it a setting in my TV? Or the player that I'm missing?
If I understand this correctly, You need to connect your player to the Soundbar HDMI input. The atmos from the player is not compressed and therefore unless you have earc it can't pass that uncompressed atmos. So for anything that is streamed (apps on tv and such) is compressed atmos thereby it works for your apps. I hope I got this right.

Vizio PX75-g1 Go Big or Go Home
post #2278 of 2283 Old 02-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Since my internet is crap, I have seen Amazon video sort of flip between HDR10 and HDR10+ (I saw it on the top bar). This kind of glitchiness will probably mess with brightness. That being said, HDR, DV can be glitchy in of itself so sometimes you have to reboot your tv for levels to get back to where they are supposed to be. It happened to me quite a lot.

It is consistently dim and will (one time only) brighten up for a split second. When it worked properly I remembered looking more like Dolby Vision content. I checked to see if it was switching back-and-forth from HDR 10 to HDR 10+ and it wasn’t.

post #2279 of 2283 Old 02-16-2020, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
Quote:
If I understand this correctly, You need to connect your player to the Soundbar HDMI input. The atmos from the player is not compressed and therefore unless you have earc it can't pass that uncompressed atmos. So for anything that is streamed (apps on tv and such) is compressed atmos thereby it works for your apps. I hope I got this right.
I dont have a sound bar I have a pioneer elite vsx90. I get atmos if my sony player is plugged into my pioneer but no dolby vision. If i run the hdmi into my vizio i get dolby vision but no atmos. All audio is going through the arc hdmi in input 1 on my vizio back to my pioneer. I just dont understand how I'm getting atmos in vudu but not my bluray player when both are going back through the same arc hdmi input.
post #2280 of 2283 Old 02-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I dont have a sound bar I have a pioneer elite vsx90. I get atmos if my sony player is plugged into my pioneer but no dolby vision. If i run the hdmi into my vizio i get dolby vision but no atmos. All audio is going through the arc hdmi in input 1 on my vizio back to my pioneer. I just dont understand how I'm getting atmos in vudu but not my bluray player when both are going back through the same arc hdmi input.
Sorry, miss read your post. Vudu is streamed and the atmos is compressed and the bluray player is passing uncompressed which your hdmi can't handle, it can only handle compressed atmos. That's why the tv needs to have eARC which it doesn't.

Vizio PX75-g1 Go Big or Go Home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page