2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 539Likes

post #2341 of 2398 Old 03-26-2020, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I agree with the below post of return/exchange. Based on you not having the dropouts with PCM, but having them with the other formats makes me think there's something amiss with the tv, whether it be the processor or something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Might be time to try an exchange, assuming you are still in the window

I've already processed my exchange with Costco. Hopefully the new one does not have this issue. I'll be sure to update after I have the new one set up and tested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2398 Old 03-26-2020, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Poor upscale on regular Blu-ray

I have had the 75" version for a few months, aside from minor DSE, poor viewing angle and some other minor annoyances, this TV has been great. However, I've found out that upscale from regular Blu-ray is very poor. Whether I am up scaling in the 4K player (Sony X800 M2) or the TV, the results are the same. People's faces gets smeared in motion, a lot of times the shape also shifts in and out like morphing. This is especially true in dark scenes. Upscale from online streaming works great though, no issues found. I have changed a bunch of settings to try to resolve this to no avail. Any ideas?
post #2343 of 2398 Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huang View Post
I have had the 75" version for a few months, aside from minor DSE, poor viewing angle and some other minor annoyances, this TV has been great. However, I've found out that upscale from regular Blu-ray is very poor. Whether I am up scaling in the 4K player (Sony X800 M2) or the TV, the results are the same. People's faces gets smeared in motion, a lot of times the shape also shifts in and out like morphing. This is especially true in dark scenes. Upscale from online streaming works great though, no issues found. I have changed a bunch of settings to try to resolve this to no avail. Any ideas?
720P upscaling is considered to be a Vizio weak point overall. And since some Blurays are 720P, you're probably seeing it. Not all Blurays are 720P though, I'd check some higher resolution discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 2398 Old 03-26-2020, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
720P upscaling is considered to be a Vizio weak point overall. And since some Blurays are 720P, you're probably seeing it. Not all Blurays are 720P though, I'd check some higher resolution discs.
These are all 1080p FHD discs.
post #2345 of 2398 Old 03-26-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
If direct TV streaming looks better than external sources, then I would suggest you focus on investigating the external device as the most likely cause. Maybe it is an settings issue with the Blu-ray device. Maybe it needs a new firmware update or factory reset. Also make sure Full UHD color is enabled for that HDMI port on the TV.

Also note that picture mode settings are independent for each HDMI input on the TV. Make sure that isn't the issue.
post #2346 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why are these TV's so damn slow to boot up. My Samsung is on in a couple seconds. This thing takes 20-30 seconds and you are left wondering is the thing going to turn on?
post #2347 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconjason View Post
I agree with the below post of return/exchange. Based on you not having the dropouts with PCM, but having them with the other formats makes me think there's something amiss with the tv, whether it be the processor or something else.
Quote:
Might be time to try an exchange, assuming you are still in the window
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyH1978 View Post
I've already processed my exchange with Costco. Hopefully the new one does not have this issue. I'll be sure to update after I have the new one set up and tested.

Just an update that I tested running my devices through an HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI matrix before going to the TV. The matrix then fed audio back to my receiver. And...the issue went away. Just one more piece of evidence that the issue is indeed originating from the TV. The only question now is if the issue exists on my TV exclusively, or if it's an issue that exists universally on this particular make and model of television. My replacement is supposed to be arriving this upcoming week so I should have an answer to that shortly.
post #2348 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just an update that I tested running my devices through an HDCP 2.2 compatible HDMI matrix before going to the TV. The matrix then fed audio back to my receiver. And...the issue went away. Just one more piece of evidence that the issue is indeed originating from the TV. The only question now is if the issue exists on my TV exclusively, or if it's an issue that exists universally on this particular make and model of television. My replacement is supposed to be arriving this upcoming week so I should have an answer to that shortly.
Do you get the audio dropouts when using the native apps, outputting via ARC?
post #2349 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvnd View Post
Why are these TV's so damn slow to boot up. My Samsung is on in a couple seconds. This thing takes 20-30 seconds and you are left wondering is the thing going to turn on?

There is a setting in the TV's menu that allows you to switch between "Eco Mode" or "Quick Start Mode". The television is set to "Eco Mode" by default and is supposed to use less energy when idle. "Quick Start Mode" will allow the TV to power on faster.
post #2350 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Do you get the audio dropouts when using the native apps, outputting via ARC?

That's a good question. I actually hadn't tested that. I have an Amazon Fire for my streaming needs, so I don't really see myself using the TV's native apps very often if ever.
post #2351 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a good question. I actually hadn't tested that. I have an Amazon Fire for my streaming needs, so I don't really see myself using the TV's native apps very often if ever.
Try it and see if it works. If it works properly, that suggests that your TV cannot pass DD from external devices (through the HDMI ports)
post #2352 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Try it and see if it works. If it works properly, that suggests that your TV cannot pass DD from external devices (through the HDMI ports)

It would appear that the audio seems to work when using the built in apps. Granted, I didn't watch for an extra long period of time. But normally I feel I would have noticed at least one or two dropouts in the time that I was watching.
post #2353 of 2398 Old 03-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieburg View Post
Same! The first one I got delivered from Costco came with a smashed screen (not Costco's fault it was the shipping company), took a minute but it was replaced and the tv is amazing!! I was following this thread before black Friday and read up to page 212 or so, still had the tab open so I just checked in but there's no need to read any more.
When I got the tv I used stereomandan's recommended settings and pulled up greyscale videos on YouTube, I didn't have any dse or dark areas, no halos around subtitles or white areas, no tv randomly turning on, I'm using new HDMI cables from monoprice, got a new avr that does hdcp 2.2 blah blah I was expecting a nightmare but it's the exact opposite. This forum is great for advice but I think it really is just a small group of 50 or so anal people / people with defective sets posting here out of thousands who have good ones with no issues. I highly recommend this tv but get it on sale, msrp too high imo. Seriously loving it, and I'm happy that you're happy as well!
Hey, can you provide a link to the settings?
post #2354 of 2398 Old 03-29-2020, 02:53 AM

Quote:
There is a setting in the TV's menu that allows you to switch between "Eco Mode" or "Quick Start Mode". The television is set to "Eco Mode" by default and is supposed to use less energy when idle. "Quick Start Mode" will allow the TV to power on faster.
Thanks Joey, I'll give it a try
post #2355 of 2398 Old 03-29-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I Have the 65" version and a Sony UBP X800. I noticed the same thing the other night when watching a 1080p Blu-ray. Really bad blending/ghosting (particularly during dark scenes). I tried multiple settings and can't resolve the issue. I haven't noticed this issue from any other device. I even tested playing the same movie on my old PS3 and didn't see the issue there either. So, it would seem that this is somehow stemming from the Blu-ray player. I think the fact that we both have essentially the same make and model of player further emphasizes that. Still haven't found anything that corrects the problem though. Let me know if you come across anything.
post #2356 of 2398 Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I have the Pioneer LX500 and not had any video issues on my Vizio and I believe I'm letting the TV do the upscaling.

Sean
post #2357 of 2398 Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I Have the 65" version and a Sony UBP X800. I noticed the same thing the other night when watching a 1080p Blu-ray. Really bad blending/ghosting (particularly during dark scenes). I tried multiple settings and can't resolve the issue. I haven't noticed this issue from any other device. I even tested playing the same movie on my old PS3 and didn't see the issue there either. So, it would seem that this is somehow stemming from the Blu-ray player. I think the fact that we both have essentially the same make and model of player further emphasizes that. Still haven't found anything that corrects the problem though. Let me know if you come across anything.

So I was messing around with some settings to try and figure out how to get this issue to go away. When I turned "Game Low Latency" on, the issue seemed to go away. So that's...interesting. That setting is mainly meant to be used for reducing input lag while gaming. I don't really see that as a solution so much as a band aid. But it appears that there is some processing being done by the TV that is causing this "blending/ghosting" to occur. I'm just not sure what processing yet or how to isolate it and shut it off.
post #2358 of 2398 Old 03-29-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So I was messing around with some settings to try and figure out how to get this issue to go away. When I turned "Game Low Latency" on, the issue seemed to go away. So that's...interesting. That setting is mainly meant to be used for reducing input lag while gaming. I don't really see that as a solution so much as a band aid. But it appears that there is some processing being done by the TV that is causing this "blending/ghosting" to occur. I'm just not sure what processing yet or how to isolate it and shut it off.

I think I've figured it out. In the "Reduce Noise" section of the picture menu, there is an option called "Reduce Signal Noise". The television's default setting is to have this at low. I turned it off and the problem appears to have gone away. My guess is that the TV was interpreting the film grain from the darker scenes as "noise" and was attempting to clean it up. This was causing artifacts in the moving image. Try that James and see if it solves your issue on your 75" as well.
post #2359 of 2398 Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I have a 75" Quantum X with a few issues. Hoping someone may have a solution to one or more of these problems.

Backlight Lag:
During scenes changes from light-dark or vice-versa, the backlight lags behind a few frames, and is very distracting. This happens more on HDR content. I also notice the backlight in certain areas of the screen will jump sharply lighter or darker on their own, instead of smooth transitions. This is especially noticeable when watching widescreen content. Full active array is set to low for both SDR and HDR. Medium makes it even worse.

Jailbars:
I am seeing the FALD very clearly in lighter areas of the screen, especially during pans of sky. Enhanced viewing angle is set to ON.

ARC:
I have the TV connected to a Onkyo receiver, which is then connected to an Apple TV and a PS4. Both the Apple TV and the PS4 will turn on the TV, but neither will turn it off. Furthermore, if I try to turn off the TV on the PS4 input, it will turn back on after a few seconds. I can only fully turn the TV off if it is on the Apple TV input.

Thank you for the help!
Brandon
post #2360 of 2398 Old 03-30-2020, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Setting the FALD to low for HDR completely defeats the purpose of having this TV. The maximum luminance is reduced to below 1000nits. In order for the TV to maximize it's output and follow the EOTF it should be left at medium. Backlight lag might be solved by performing a factory reset of the TV. Make sure it is on the latest firmware before doing so.

Jailbars: What you are describing does not sound like FALD jailbars. The way you describe it seems like DSE. All LCD/LED panels ever created have some level of DSE. There isn't a single company that has been able to crack the uniformity issue. Some panels may be obvious while others are not noticable at all. If it is bad enough for your panel then it may warrant an exchange. Many unbiased reviewers have shown through testing that the "Enhanced Viewing Angle" is not useful at all and should be left off.

ARC + CEC: does not have a set standard for compatibility. Nearly all manufacturers have their own implementation that may not work with other connected devices. Onkyo has been a hot topic in the Vizio threads as one of the receiver brands to have these kinds of issues. Check to see if the receiver has a firmware update that might improve CEC
Alternatively you could connect the media devices to the TV. The TV will route the audio to the receiver via ARC with HDMI1.

Last edited by skschatzman; 03-30-2020 at 01:25 PM.
post #2361 of 2398 Old 03-30-2020, 07:57 PM

Got my replacement PX65-G1 today and just finished setting it up. Unfortunately I'm getting the same audio dropouts from the digital out on this one as I was on the previous one. At this point I have exhausted all other possibilities. I know that the audio issue is somehow originating from the TV because it's the one device within the connection that introduces this flaw. If I take the TV out of the equation, the audio dropouts go away. If I add the TV back into the stream of connected devices, I get dropouts. It is a little perplexing that the issue is present on both HDMI/ARC and optical. However, since the same issue is present on two separate televisions, I can rule out the possibility that it is a defect and can instead call this a flaw in the design itself. That being said, I love the TV for it's picture and have developed a workaround for the audio problem. Using an inexpensive HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI matrix with audio extraction, I am able to connect my 4K and HDR capable devices and get audio back to my AV receiver before the TV is able to introduce the problem. It's somewhat disappointing that I can't just use the PX65 for this, but it is what it is. For anybody else who might be experiencing this issue, an obvious solution would be to purchase a new HDCP 2.2 4K and HDR compatible AV receiver. Short of that, the addition of the Matrix is a cost effective and viable solution.
post #2362 of 2398 Old 03-30-2020, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got my replacement PX65-G1 today and just finished setting it up. Unfortunately I'm getting the same audio dropouts from the digital out on this one as I was on the previous one. At this point I have exhausted all other possibilities. I know that the audio issue is somehow originating from the TV because it's the one device within the connection that introduces this flaw. If I take the TV out of the equation, the audio dropouts go away. If I add the TV back into the stream of connected devices, I get dropouts. It is a little perplexing that the issue is present on both HDMI/ARC and optical. However, since the same issue is present on two separate televisions, I can rule out the possibility that it is a defect and can instead call this a flaw in the design itself. That being said, I love the TV for it's picture and have developed a workaround for the audio problem. Using an inexpensive HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI matrix with audio extraction, I am able to connect my 4K and HDR capable devices and get audio back to my AV receiver before the TV is able to introduce the problem. It's somewhat disappointing that I can't just use the PX65 for this, but it is what it is. For anybody else who might be experiencing this issue, an obvious solution would be to purchase a new HDCP 2.2 4K and HDR compatible AV receiver. Short of that, the addition of the Matrix is a cost effective and viable solution.
Sounds like the PQX doesn't support DD passthrough from external devices to ARC. You might want to check if others are able to. If this is the case, the PQX wouldn't be the first TV to have limited pass through from external devices.
post #2363 of 2398 Old 03-30-2020, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Not that I want to try and read all the pages of post, What is everyone's take on this this looking to replace my E6 OLED my 3yr old broke it a few months back.. Has Vizio sorted out their problems viewing from cable? I remember I tried the P series from 2016 i believe and while netflix and what not looked good on cable looked washed out and whites were blown out
post #2364 of 2398 Old 03-31-2020, 02:04 PM

Liked: 1
The upscaling seems a lot better since the last update.
post #2365 of 2398 Old 04-01-2020, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the PQX doesn't support DD passthrough from external devices to ARC. You might want to check if others are able to. If this is the case, the PQX wouldn't be the first TV to have limited pass through from external devices.

Not true, while it can be finicky (I simply reboot the stick if drop outs occur) I get DD pass through via ARC from my Fire TV Stick 4k and it works via my Denon receiver. The receiver absolutely shows DD is being received.
post #2366 of 2398 Old 04-01-2020, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarston View Post
Not true, while it can be finicky (I simply reboot the stick if drop outs occur) I get DD pass through via ARC from my Fire TV Stick 4k and it works via my Denon receiver. The receiver absolutely shows DD is being received.
In that case the OP got another defective unit
post #2367 of 2398 Old 04-01-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:

This is correct for me as well. Technically it "works" just not very well at all. My Sony STR-DN1040 properly reads and shows all of the formats when it receives them. Anything hooked directly to the receiver is flawless...no problems at all. My current setup (with the 4K and HDR devices going through the Matrix) is flawless...no problems at all. The problems only occur when I pass the signal through the TV first. Again, while it technically "works" it just doesn't work well. Dropouts aren't overly frequent (about every 10 minutes maybe) and they aren't long (lasting a fraction of a second). However, they are frequent enough to be annoying. Ultimately I don't really care whether or not the TV is capable of passing a digital audio signal either through HDMI or optical. I do however care that the manufacturer claims that it can do this and lists it as a feature. If the device isn't able to do it well, if it can't do a consistent and solid signal to it's destination then there's really no point to have it at all. From my experience, the PCM output seems to work fine. This is great if you're setting up a 2.0 soundbar, but not if you have an AV receiver with a surround setup. It's disappointing mainly because I've never had this much trouble getting a device to simply do what it claims it can do.
post #2368 of 2398 Old 04-01-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
This is correct for me as well. Technically it "works" just not very well at all. My Sony STR-DN1040 properly reads and shows all of the formats when it receives them. Anything hooked directly to the receiver is flawless...no problems at all. My current setup (with the 4K and HDR devices going through the Matrix) is flawless...no problems at all. The problems only occur when I pass the signal through the TV first. Again, while it technically "works" it just doesn't work well. Dropouts aren't overly frequent (about every 10 minutes maybe) and they aren't long (lasting a fraction of a second). However, they are frequent enough to be annoying. Ultimately I don't really care whether or not the TV is capable of passing a digital audio signal either through HDMI or optical. I do however care that the manufacturer claims that it can do this and lists it as a feature. If the device isn't able to do it well, if it can't do a consistent and solid signal to it's destination then there's really no point to have it at all. From my experience, the PCM output seems to work fine. This is great if you're setting up a 2.0 soundbar, but not if you have an AV receiver with a surround setup. It's disappointing mainly because I've never had this much trouble getting a device to simply do what it claims it can do.
Actually, I am able to watch everything completely with no dropouts once I reset it. Usually only happens when I switch from a different device. I stream movies shows all the time with no dropouts. Like I said, usually rebooting the fire stick fixes it.
post #2369 of 2398 Old 04-01-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Actually, I am able to watch everything completely with no dropouts once I reset it. Usually only happens when I switch from a different device. I stream movies shows all the time with no dropouts. Like I said, usually rebooting the fire stick fixes it.

Yeah, I've tried everything. Power cycles, factory resets, new cables, new power supplies, every possible combination of settings....nothing works. I stated on previous postings that I initially thought that it might have been some kind of HDCP or handshake compatibility issue with the HDMI/ARC. However, that doesn't explain why the same issue is present when I tried sending the audio out through toslink/optical. Theoretically that should just be sending the digital stream from the TV to the receiver. There really shouldn't be any compatibility issue with that particular setup. What that says to me is that the audio decoding/encoding hardware/software in the TV is either really cheap or just flawed by design. Like I said, PCM seems to work fine, so it's not an input issue. It's purely a decoding/encoding and output issue. I think that certain makes and models of AV receivers are going to be more forgiving of the unreliable digital output. However, that doesn't mean that the digital output isn't still flawed in some way. At the end of the day, I'm still going to keep the TV. The picture quality is great, and I have a workaround for the audio issue. Originally I just wanted to see if anybody else was having a similar problem. Now if somebody else does encounter similar issues, then I'm happy to provide a possible solution.
post #2370 of 2398 Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurupt17 View Post
The upscaling seems a lot better since the last update.
I think I've noticed this as well, at least for OTA. I've been happy all along with how it upscales for 1080p Bluray.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page