2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 203Likes

post #1 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
2019 Vizio P-Series Quantum X - Owner's Thread - No Price Talk

Didn't see an Owner's Thread for this newly released TV so thought I'd start one. Just picked up the 65" TV from Costco May 25th & had it up & running in no time.

Click here to learn more about what the P Series Quantum brings to the table: Vizio P Series Quantum X.

TechRadar review: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/vi...ntum-x-px65-g1

I'll start this off with a quick summary:

Packaging is heavy duty, impressive & protects the TV well. Unpackaging is easy - cut away the plastic straps & lift off the outer box. The TV is inside a thick plastic bag with 2 handles that makes lifting the TV out of the bottom of the box very easy. One person can handle the 65".

The TV is great looking from the front & back. There is a silver metal bezel around the edge but visually, this TV is frameless. The profile of the bezel is crazy thin. There is a 1/2" or so black "frame" around the picture that disappears into the room (the portion of the screen that does not produce an image). The back is cheap plastic, thin & flimsy but it gets the job done & looks nice enough (emphasis on looks - don't look for above average build quality here). I am going to guess it's no thicker than the bottom portion of an OLED. This TV looks great on its stand & will look great mounted on a wall.

I've had the TV for a week now & have watched a mix of content - standard def DVDs, blu-rays and 4K/HDR. I am going to update some of the pros & cons as I have found settings that appear to have improved some of the issues.

However, gradient banding still shows to be a weakness, albeit I now think it is highly dependent on the quality of the content.

For example - Snoke's Room scene in The Last Jedi has absolutely horrible gradient issues. But I've yet to see any other content display the same degree of banding that this scene/movie does. It could be that I watched it on Netflix, as I know this movie is considered reference quality - but I doubt that as I have seen internet commentary about that particular scene showing gradients.

Pros:
  • BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT - scenes just pop like crazy & you get a distinct "looking out a window" effect. I love it.
  • Deep rich colors
  • No vertical or horizontal banding.
  • Impossible blacks for an LED - seriously.
  • No crushing of blacks/shadow detail that I could see in content with which I am very familiar. The Others, which I own in standard def DVD, looked incredible. The PQX rendered this movie perfectly. No gradient banding in any scene & this movie has a lot of fade-in & fade-out content, and grays/muted colors. ZERO gradient banding.
  • Contrast is pretty incredible
  • Motion is decent - not perfect. But I am not seeing any stutter at all in panning shots or when objects move across the screen. I am not using any motion control. Even fast-moving panning, like the flying scenes in Avatar are amazing, very natural looking & no artifacts that I can see.
  • Incredible picture quality that really blew me away.
  • Blooming is incredibly well controlled - even on subtitles. I was again - blown away.
  • Reflections are really well handled - but I do not have anything behind me except a wall. I moved my table lamps to be across from the screen - unnoticeable. Dark scenes the reflections are very diffuse, dim & not distracting at all.
  • Bladerunnner 2049 looks incredible. Avatar, as much as I hate the movie, is STUNNING. Both are a must view.

Cons:
  • BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT So much so, colors can look washed out on lower quality, older content via cable. If you watch a lot of older content on cable, you might notice this but you will get used to it & it becomes a non-issue. Does not effect everything.
  • Even 10-15 degrees off-axis from center, directly in front, blooming is visible (but colors/contrast remain great until much more significantly off axis.) I posted pics from 45 degrees off-axis in post 44.
  • You can see zones dimming & brightening as FALD is doing its duty. It is visible - and distracting - on low and medium FALD settings; High hides it best. I am figuring out other settings to minimize this issue. My understanding is algorithms can be improved via updates?
  • You can "detect" the effects of the FALD in actual content. Less noticeable when watching higher quality content & vivid images. But I've watched plenty of dark content at this point & it's not as big an issue as when watching via cable box.
  • The backlight appears to lag when the picture switches abruptly between dark & light scenes - you will see the backlight dim when going from bright to dark & brighten when going from dark to bright scenes after the scene changes.
  • Scaling update: I am finding any issues are highly dependent on the quality of the content & channel. The only time I've detected issues is in Transformers, Star Trek Beyond & low quality/older content through the cable box.
  • Update to gradients/banding/posterization - I have watched a LOT of content at this point & so far, Snoke's Room & some scenes in Bladerunner: 2049 had gradient issues. Cable content has gradient issues, even on newer content (Killing Eve has lots of this, but when I watched Silver Bullet - a 1985 film - there was none. What We Do in the Shadows looks great.) Could be highly dependent on quality of content & broadcast signal.
  • Dirty Screen Effect is pronounced & distracting, even in colorful scenes. I have read about this & this is highly panel dependent. I am hoping the new one Vizio sends me has a better panel.

*UPDATE TO THIS SECTION*
Original: Unfortunately, the DSE, color banding & visible at-work FALD likely mean I won't keep this TV & won't be able to do any further testing/playing around. If I can convince myself that what I hate about OLED (risk of burn-in, black/shadow crush, unavoidable stutter, ABL & dimmer picture... maybe I'll keep it.

To try & combat all of these issues - especially with the FALD - I tried various backlight, contrast & FALD settings & some other tweaks. Nothing I tried got rid of color banding.

Update: I contacted Vizio & they feel I have a defective panel/TV. They are sending me a brand-spankin' new TV to swap out. I'll update later after I receive that TV.

"Calibrated" setting (calibrated dark was too warm/yellow - didn't like it).
Backlight at 20 - could still see FALD at work. So I left it at 50 (default). Too low, picture looks washed out (to me) and dim.

The "high" FALD setting seemed to minimize how noticeable the FALD was while it was working. I think it's because that setting keeps the overall picture brightness higher than the other settings. HDR - you can really see the zones at work when there is a bright highlight against the dim(mer) overall HDR average picture.

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"

Last edited by MashCT; 06-02-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: updating after a week with the TV & adding Tech Radar review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Maybe you shouldn't start a new owners thread if you don't like/aren't keeping said TV.
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

Vizio P75-C1, P50-C1, P65-C1- FW 6.0.18.1
Samsung UHD Bluray K8500 - LG UBK90 DV Bluray player
Vizio SB46514-F6 Soundbar - Vizio SB4551-D5 Soundbar
Directv Genie HR34 - Chromecast Ultra
post #3 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
Maybe you shouldn't start a new owners thread if you don't like/aren't keeping said TV.
But very relevant feedback for everyone who is interested in getting this model..

Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
Panasonic TX-50GXW804 LCD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anago View Post
Still gonna need a thread & since no one else has posted anything about it - whatever I say about my experience while I have it is still pretty relevant to everyone else. Everyone else's eventual input will become valuable to everyone else, too.

And I didn't say I didn't like it.

Marantz AV7705 | Oppo UDP 205 | Emotiva UPA2 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 | Music Hall MMF 2.2 | APC AVHS15 | Dual SVS SB2000 | Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v2 | Studio CC v2 | Monitor AVP 390 v6 | Monitor ADP 370 | Vizio PQX 65"
post #5 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post
Didn't see an Owner's Thread for this newly released TV so thought I'd start one. Just picked up the 65" TV from Costco May 25th & had it up & running in no time.

Click here to learn more about what the P Series Quantum brings to the table: Vizio P Series Quantum X.

I'll start this off with a quick summary:

Packaging is heavy duty, impressive & protects the TV well. Cut away the plastic straps & lift off the outer box. The TV is inside a thick plastic bag with 2 handles that makes lifting the TV out of the bottom of the box very easy. One person can handle the 65".

The TV is great looking from the front & back. There is a silver metal bezel around the edge but visually, this TV is frameless. 1/2" or so black "frame" around the picture that disappears into the room. The back is cheap plastic, thin & flimsy but it gets the job done & looks nice enough (emphasis on looks - don't look for above average build quality here). I am going to guess it's no thicker than the bottom portion of an OLED. This TV looks great on its stand & will look great mounted on a wall.

Keeping in mind I've had this TV 3 days, I can give you these quick pros/cons and I'll get into details in a separate post. I have not done a whole lot of content testing here yet.

Pros:
  • BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT
  • Deep rich colors
  • Impossible blacks for an LED - seriously
  • No crushing of blacks/shadow detail that I could see in content with which I am very familiar
  • Contrast is pretty incredible
  • Motion is decent - not perfect
  • Incredible picture quality that really blew me away
  • Blooming is incredibly well controlled - even on subtitles. I was again - blown away.
  • Reflections are really well handled - but I do not have anything behind me except a wall.
  • Bladerunnner 2049 looks incredible. A must view.

Cons:
  • BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT So much so, colors can look washed out on lower quality, older content via cable. Does not effect everything.
  • Retinas? What retinas?
  • Even slightly off-axis from center, directly in front, blooming is visible (but colors/contrast remain great until much more significantly off axis.)
  • You see zones dimming & brightening as FALD is doing its duty. It is visible - and distracting - on all FALD settings except off (obviously).
  • You can "detect" the effects of the FALD in actual content.
  • The backlight appears to lag when the picture switches abruptly between dark & light scenes - you will see the backlight dim when going from bright to dark & brighten when going from dark to bright scenes after the scene changes.
  • Scaling is as bad as what you read about for the PQ last year. Lots of macro-block artifacts, especially with fast motion.
  • Gradients/banding/posterization is also as bad as what you read about for the 2018 PQ. I expect a score as bad as the 2018 PQ. Unacceptable at this point, Vizio... you knew better going in.
  • Dirty Screen Effect is pronounced & distracting, even in colorful scenes.

Unfortunately, the DSE, color banding & visible at-work FALD likely mean I won't keep this TV & won't be able to do any further testing/playing around. If I can convince myself that what I hate about OLED (risk of burn-in, black/shadow crush, unavoidable stutter, ABL & dimmer picture... maybe I'll keep it.

To try & combat all of these issues - especially with the FALD - I tried various backlight, contrast & FALD settings & some other tweaks. Nothing I tried got rid of color banding.

"Calibrated" setting (calibrated dark was too warm/yellow - didn't like it).
Backlight at 20 - could still see FALD at work. So I left it at 50 (default). Too low, picture looks washed out (to me) and way too dim.
The "high" FALD setting seemed to minimize how noticeable the FALD was while it was working. I think it's because that setting keeps the overall picture brightness higher than the other settings. HDR - you can really see the zones at work when there is a bright highlight against the dim(mer) overall HDR average picture.
What a brutally honest no punches pulled. Feedback and with that said You didn’t even mention the biggest deal breaker of them all. The Laggy stuttering user interface. Visually I was wowed by the new 2019 PSeries Quantum and Quantum X TVs,
Blacks are deep and black like OLED. Heck I though they were OLED TVs when I saw them at Costco I’d I didn’t know any better. But when I saw the Upscaling Engine (since I always take a USB Drive with some 720p and 1080p files and a 4K 60FPS HDR clip on me) just to test a future purchase the Menu System was so laggy I almost didn’t bother watching my 3 test clips. 4K HDR 60FPS looked. Nice, but 1080p upscaled to 4K was unwatchable and had motion trails. I didn’t even bother trying the 720p clip.
MashCT likes this.
post #6 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Who in the world uses the built in apps? Seriously, get an apple tv, nvidia shield, roku, or fire tv. That's such an odd thing to be worried about.

The mobile app for Vizio is incredible as far as adjusting picture settings etc.
Andrew67, storey and Gillietalls like this.

post #7 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Who in the world uses the built in apps? Seriously, get an apple tv, nvidia shield, roku, or fire tv. That's such an odd thing to be worried about.

The mobile app for Vizio is incredible as far as adjusting picture settings etc.
Point taken, probably why I’m waiting for the new Apple TV+ with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision it’s so fast in regards to user interface.
post #8 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
What a brutally honest no punches pulled. Feedback and with that said You didn’t even mention the biggest deal breaker of them all. The Laggy stuttering user interface. Visually I was wowed by the new 2019 PSeries Quantum and Quantum X TVs,
Blacks are deep and black like OLED. Heck I though they were OLED TVs when I saw them at Costco I’d I didn’t know any better. But when I saw the Upscaling Engine (since I always take a USB Drive with some 720p and 1080p files and a 4K 60FPS HDR clip on me) just to test a future purchase the Menu System was so laggy I almost didn’t bother watching my 3 test clips. 4K HDR 60FPS looked. Nice, but 1080p upscaled to 4K was unwatchable and had motion trails. I didn’t even bother trying the 720p clip.
Honestly, I did not find the menu interface nor the apps laggy at all. I previously had an LG OLED B6 so that is the only smartTV comparison I can make to this one. I seriously did not have any issues with the Vizio - ignorance & lack of experience in this regard could actually be bliss. LOL

post #9 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
So no pics?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 462 Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

OK - now for the details behind the pros and cons I previously posted.

So I am likely going to keep this TV for a couple of weeks, give it a chance. So if you want me to view specific content & comment on what I see, and/or post pics of scenes, send me a PM or comment in the thread and if I have the movie or it's on Amazon/Netflix, I'll watch & post for you.

If you are in CT & want to come see the TV, send me a PM. Recommend you come at night so you can see this thing in the dark room. Trust me, you will be utterly stunned by the blacks & the overall performance of the TV. Bring any blu-rays you want to check out.

Now I am going to say some negative things about this TV. Doesn't mean I hate it or Vizio, or any other TV, TV tech or manufacturer. I believe in calling it likes I sees it. This is what my eyes see.

In a nutshell - value: 5 stars; performance: 3.5 stars. The lower performance rating is due to painfully annoying, disappointing & distracting gradients/banding, dirty screen effect & the visible FALD at-work (and cheapy plastic materials). These issues are big in my book - big enough that 4 stars to me is too many. For you, these things may not matter & you'd give more stars.

If your question is, I am upgrading, I do not have a 4K TV with HDR/DV - should I get this TV? I'd say hells-yeah, unless you are likely to be bothered by the issues I describe below. And then, it would still depend on how much you'd be bothered by them.

If your question is, I own the PQ, should I upgrade to the PQX? I'd say - had Vizio fixed the gradient/banding issue & the visible at-work FALD AND those 2 issues truly drove you bat-poo crazy - definitely upgrade. I did not buy the PQ because of those 2 issues so I am REALLY disappointed Vizio did not do more to minimize/fix these issues. Just unacceptable at this life-stage of 4K TVs.

I am not using the TV's speakers - sound comes through my surround sound system. Why bother with the TV speakers. LOL

So far, my experience with the menu interface is fine - i don't find it buggy or laggy. Apps load quickly & nothing about using the interface annoys me. I have not used the SmartCast feature, but I plan to try YouTube (there is no youtube app & no app store on the TV.

Set up was easy & as I stated above, the average person should be able to get the TV out of the box, put on the stand & get it onto your stand. Trying to wall mount this TV by yourself would not be a good idea - the screen feels really delicate. If you lift this TV, do it from the front & bottom - front resting in your palm & fingers around back. Do not press your palm against the glass - you're only using your palm to hold the bottom of the panel & stabilize it while you lift. I did not find the TV too heavy or cumbersome to lift at all.

Overall, the picture quality is pretty amazing if not downright incredible. No "for the money" qualification necessary here, folks - it is what it is: an impressive (for the most part) picture. I truly was stunned by what I saw on the screen. Blacks really are black - deep, inky, get lost in them black. I saw zero flashlighting and no blooming when sitting directly in front of the TV. Black bars are & stay black, even when a very bright object is near the bars. Not only that, when there is shadow detail that needs to be illuminated in a dark scene - which can sometimes cause blooming/zones to become visible - there just wasn't any. Same with bright objects in dark scenes.

If there was a halo, to me it looked to be part of the scene, natural & normal - just like when you see a light or flame in the dark. You don't see the bright object & then black right at the edge - you see a halo, a glow around the bright object. It was so subtle the halo could very well be in the content. I felt like what I was seeing as a halo added realism & a sort-of 3-D view to the object/scene. When you see blooming on this TV it is very apparent it's the backlight because it's slightly blue & well, it doesn't look like part of the scene. So I'm going with - the blooming/halo artifact no one likes is EXTREMELY minimized with this TV, even when FALD is set on high. But you have to sit directly in front. Even slightly off-axis (10-15 degs) is enough for some blooming to be evident.

I was SQUARELY in the LCD/LED sucks camp, never thinking it could ever match CRT/Plasma. I am stunned by how far this technology has come - and that this is coming from Vizio. I see all of this back & forth LED/LCD vs OLED - please.

LG, Samsung & Sony should be worried - this TV really can, will & should rob them of sales.

Why I did not get a Samsung: no Dolby Vision. I have the Oppo UDP 205 so would be ridiculous to get a TV where I could not use all of its features. If Samsung had DV, I'd have gotten a Q9FN or Q90.

Why I did not get OLED: motion (stutter is just awful), auto brightness limiter, not as bright as LCD/LED; black crush/loss of shadow detail, the "black hole" effect in black content, burn-in risk (watch a lot of news), bluish pallor to whites/grays/silvers. If I don't keep the PQX, I will get the A9.

Why I didn't get a Sony: Just read the reviews of their latest TVs. Too many compromises for my liking. Everyone should be asking "So now that the PQX is out, why Sony again? Because the plastic is better?"

Appearance - sharp. It's a good looking TV - from the front & side. No thicker than the bottom of an OLED where the elecronics are, I'd venture a guess. The metal frame looks great & the edge from the front view is extremely thin - invisible. 1/2" black edge to the screen (pictureless part of the screen) all around which disappears into the room. So basically, this thing appears frameless. It's sharp sharp sharp. Legs are nice - sort of retro-modern look to them. They can't be put on backwards (to face in & have a smaller footprint). Nice added touch - the bottom of the feet have small soft rubber pads to protect your table-top.

I remember reading in the PQ forum folks mentioning a "smell" when they turned on the TV for the first few days/weeks. You get none of that here.

HDR - mind blowing. This is my first view ever of HDR & I get what the hype is all about - and I LOVE IT. Bladerunner 2049 is a must-see/own. Netflix HDR (LOVE/DEATH/ROBOTS) knocked me out. There are a LOT of bright highlights in dark scenes in that program & it was, well... super cool. I was geeking out about it like crazy. The TV even shows it's displaying HDR with small-ish icon in the upper right corner for a few secs. Just set the input to auto-detect & you're done - the TV does the rest.

Haven't watched any DV content yet, but I will.

I am not a gamer/do not have a console so can't comment on input lag.

This TV is bright & for the most part this is a MAJOR advantage & BIG reason to pick this TV over other brands & over OLED. The brightness makes the picture absolutely stunning & life like. (Retinas be damned!) The one drawback & I think this is content dependent (quality of the content/broadcast) is colors can look washed out. This is RARE - only saw it on a few programs & they were older. I kept playing with the backlight & contrast/brightness settings, but as soon as a commercial came on, it was apparent it was the content/program & not the nits/backlight, nor contrast/brightness.

Picture is sharp, detailed. I turned sharpness down to 10 - I think the default is 20. I'd be shocked if this TV did not score high on sharpness test patterns. Did I see a difference - nope. I just feel better that at 10, I am even less likely to be introducing sharpness artifacts into my picture.

Colors - VIBRANT, deep, rich and not at all unnatural, garish or over-saturated. You can make it look like that if you want, but "Calibrated" mode is incredible. ("Calibrated - Dark" is too warm "yellowish" to me.) I am not saying the colors are accurate. I would say, you'd only notice they were not accurate if this TV was side-by-side with a TV that was spot-on perfect. Yet still, it's not like you would say the Vizio is awful in the comparison.

Contrast - this TV defines it for LCD/LED. I don't know what else to say about it - I don't have any test equipment 'cept for my peepers & my peepers were loving it.

Shadow detail: I saw zero evidence of black crush or loss of shadow detail. In fact, I could not believe how details shadow areas/content appears & that it appears so "correctly" on screen. Sometimes when contrast/brightness are adjusted incorrectly, shadow details reveal too much & look washed out - not how shadow detail would really look, or the way the content creator intended. I felt the Vizio did a stellar job in the content I've watched so far. I plan on viewing Harry Potter flicks, From Hell, Sleepy Hollow, The Others, LOTR - see how things look. I'll post comments after I do.

Now for the cons...

Build quality. Laughably bad around back. Looks nice enough - and looks like quality - then you touch it & just laugh out loud. I think if a baby threw its binky at the back panel it might break. Make that a cotton ball. It is really, REALLY cheap, thin flimsy plastic. But at least it's not all wavy or distorted. Thank Megadeth it's the back of the TV & nothing will be hitting it. And not like I am buying the TV for the back. (For comparison purposes - the Sony 930E had a very nice back. My Pioneer Kuro is metal!!)

Gradients/banding. In a word, UGLY. Add another word: DISAPPOINTING. Truly, a SMH moment when you see it on this TV. You really have to wonder how Vizio could ignore all of the reviews & customer comments on this issue & not correct it with their FLAGSHIP TV. Inexcusable. Refer to the pics. The one scene demonstrates how well the TV can perform - you will see very minimal banding at the top of the image - if at all. Other pics, the banding is CLEARLY visible & trust me on this - it looks a lot worse than what you see in the pictures.

FALD doing its job: I was really disappointed when I saw this issue, too. Now, I got it to a point where it's not as bad & I think when the FALD is set to "high", that setting hides it best. I think this is because on this setting, the overall picture is brighter than on "low" or "medium" (low & medium appear to be the same avg brightness level). On low or medium, because the overall image is dimmer, a bright object (or and object only a little brighter than the background) you see the zones switching on & off - but even worse, you see the brighter object brighten & dim as it moves through zones.

This effect is really pronounced in star fields, scrolling credits & again - any bright(er) object panning across the screen against a dark background. "Low" setting on the FALD is, I think, just too aggressive. My backlight is set at 40 (default is 50) & FALD set to "high". With that setting, so far, I have not seen a repeat of this issue & stars all stay the same brightness as the image pans. And crazy enough - space is black & stars are bright. (Amazing, Vizio!)

Another odd & off--putting effect of the FALD - even bright content, you can perceive the backlight working. This happens in abrupt changes in overall image dynamic range (I guess) from a bright scene to a dark scene & vice-versa.

At first, I thought it was my eyes adjusting to the content & the brightness of the TV, but then other people started to notice it when i called it out. And in your peripheral vision, as you're say... looking at the center of the screen - you begin to notice the "zones" making up the area that dimmed. You only see this when it first occurs in a scene change; eventually you adjust to the image & you don't see this effect. It's almost like when you pick up a dim object in your peripheral vision, go to look directly at it & the object disappears - only to reappear when you look away.

Let's say the content you're watching is a night scene. Folks on a walk or talking outside in the dark. The screen abuptly changes to daytime, a shot of the blue sky with white clouds, then sunlit greenery in the center of the image, light colored sidewalk & light colored houses to the left & right of center.

What you will notice is, right after the abrupt dark-to-bright scene change, the new image "dims" ever so slightly in the area that comprises where the trees are. And not only that, you notice (for a split second) this "blocky" appearance to the area that dimmed - you saw the zones where the backlight dimmed a little to render the dark green shiny leaves a little darker than the bright sidewalk, houses & sky/clouds. If this happened fast enough & at the right moment - you wouldnt notice it. But because it lags behind the actual scene change, ever so slightly, you see this effect.

Dirty Screen Effect: while I do not see the vertical & horizontal bands like you get with OLED, DSE is terrible. So bad you see it in a LOT of content when the image pans, not just whites/light grays. Did some checking of Sonys, Samsungs & LGs - all of the reviews mention uniformity/DSE is a problem. I am guessing this is an inherent problem not likely to vary to a great degree between panels. I may try to play the panel lottery here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_213757.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	967.5 KB
ID:	2572974   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_213827.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	2572976   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_214247.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	591.4 KB
ID:	2572978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_215304.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	2572980  
aaronwt and Ph8te like this.

Last edited by MashCT; 05-28-2019 at 09:51 PM.
post #11 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post

I've felt comfortable using internal apps on tvs like LG (Web OS), Samsung (Tizen) and TCL (Roku) in my experience...but since getting my P Quantum a few weeks ago, it's the first tv where I really feel like the smart system is total crap and I have to use an external streamer. Not only is the interface itself really slow and clunky (probably using a several year old processor), but the tvs wifi and ethernet even are practically useless for higher bandwith content streaming. This thing sits right next to a router for me and wirelessly gets about 12-14mbps download speed. On ethernet it gets almost zero better, this is on a 200mbps connection that on many devices I see 200-225mbps download speeds constantly.

I get they had to cheap out of many areas to get these tvs to the pricepoint they want to be, but I dont see the issue in pointing those out. Compromises are certainly made to get these 2000+ nit 192-384 zone tvs to their pricepoints.

Basically I've found my P Quantum to be an EXCELLENT HDR tv but a very mediocre/average one in almost every other content.
post #12 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Did you see the PQ on the latest firmware? The banding and blooming/fald working was improved quite a bit. Maybe a new firmware is coming out for the pqx as well. For DSE I was lucky my set has none. I did multiple tests to see and couldn't find any. I wonder if the nits for the pqx is much higher since the PQ was underrated and goes to 2400 nits
post #13 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can you comment on the reflection handling? Had a 75" Sony X900F, it was OK but not as good as the Samsungs. Just returned it for a 75" Q80R and the reflection handling is superb. Is the Vizio worth looking at?
post #14 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Seems like I was right to skip this and go for a Samsung set. Vizio has a very bad track record for panel lottery and poor and distracting FALD algorithms.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #15 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcervinojr View Post
Can you comment on the reflection handling? Had a 75" Sony X900F, it was OK but not as good as the Samsungs. Just returned it for a 75" Q80R and the reflection handling is superb. Is the Vizio worth looking at?
Simple answer here, NO. The Q80 is a far better tv than anything Vizio is going to put out. Sammy's have the best reflection filters in the game right now.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #16 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I own the 65pq and banding issues have been improved treamondously. With the latest firmware. Hopefully it will be coming soon to this set. As far as low medium and high fald settings, the low is for standard content and medium should be used for hdr. High blows out the screen on the pq. Your oppo 205 can be connected to your cable box and should handle all your upscaling. I ditched cable last year and use youtube tv. Primarily watch all moves and video games at 1080p and above so lack of upscaling prowess doesn't bother me. Dirty screen is luck of the draw and if its significant I would return for a replacement. As far as someone's comment about apps and operating system being slow, I agree but could care less. That's what a roku and or apple tv is for...
MashCT likes this.
post #17 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Quote:
Simple answer here, NO. The Q80 is a far better tv than anything Vizio is going to put out. Sammy's have the best reflection filters in the game right now.

Best tv for daytime cable watching?
post #18 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
Thats why I'm asking. LOL. I watch a lot of sports on cable. The Samsung's HDR is great...But the upscaling on ESPN just looks blurry and not sharp. Everything looks sorta "muddy."
post #19 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherarc View Post
Did you see the PQ on the latest firmware? The banding and blooming/fald working was improved quite a bit. Maybe a new firmware is coming out for the pqx as well. For DSE I was lucky my set has none. I did multiple tests to see and couldn't find any. I wonder if the nits for the pqx is much higher since the PQ was underrated and goes to 2400 nits
No - I haven't seen it! Are any reviewers posting post-update updates to their reviews about this? Rtings hasn't changed their gradient score/comments on this issue. Do you know the month it rolled out by any chance?

Let me know!

post #20 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Look at that Gradient Banding. How is that acceptable? That would not happen on a 2019 LG OLED C8. ( I am guessing)

Nice TV but a 65” P Series Quantum X at 65” 384 Zones.

The Banding is a deal breaker. I pray a Firmware Update can solve the Banding and Dimming zones issue but with 384 Zones Vizio is probably just waiting and gathering Meta Data on things people watch before adjusting the Local Dimming algorithm.
post #21 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Howdy!

It is tough for me to comment on reflection handling because the wall opposite my TV has no windows & my end table lamps are well off to the side so they don't even appear on the screen.

When I turn my cell phone flashlight on, I can see it, it is bright but also diffuse. The picture is bright enough that the reflection is not too distracting.

I held up my unlocked phone, screen is fully lit up - and the reflection is very dim compared to the actual brightness of the phone & it is also diffuse.

Next sunny day here in CT (wish me luck) I'll turn the TV towards the windows & give it a check.

post #22 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I own the 65pq and banding issues have been improved treamondously. With the latest firmware. Hopefully it will be coming soon to this set. As far as low medium and high fald settings, the low is for standard content and medium should be used for hdr. High blows out the screen on the pq. Your oppo 205 can be connected to your cable box and should handle all your upscaling. I ditched cable last year and use youtube tv. Primarily watch all moves and video games at 1080p and above so lack of upscaling prowess doesn't bother me. Dirty screen is luck of the draw and if its significant I would return for a replacement. As far as someone's comment about apps and operating system being slow, I agree but could care less. That's what a roku and or apple tv is for...
Thanks for this - I am going to contact Costco & find out if they have any in stock at my local warehouse & swap this one out, see if I can hit the DSE panel lottery. heh heh

It's pretty pronounced on my TV & very distracting. I mean, I can see in full-COLOR & fully bright images when the scene pans. What I've read about it is that it's usually only visible in large white/light gray areas so that I can see it in normal content is a problem.

Still though - I am impressed enough by the PQX's picture quality. When these defects aren't visible, it is a truly stunning image.

post #23 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thats why I'm asking. LOL. I watch a lot of sports on cable. The Samsung's HDR is great...But the upscaling on ESPN just looks blurry and not sharp. Everything looks sorta "muddy."
If your main use is cable sports I would not buy this tv. I personally would be looking at a sony.
post #24 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

A quick note about Vizio's customer service

Howdy again folks!

So, since a couple of folks mentioned later firmware updates improved the banding issues on the PQ, I decided to contact Vizio customer support through their online chat feature.

I explained the 2 biggest issues - the dirty screen effect & the gradient banding. The rep asked me to send him pictures so I did.

The reply?

First - he sent me some professional calibration settings to try. They did not help.
Second - he said "this is a brand-new unit with a different panel & electronic from the PQ. Your unit is defective. We will replace your unit with a new one directly from us. You will be contacted in 6-10 business days."

I did not have to beg or plead with him - he was concerned about the TV having issues he said it should not have & immediately said Vizio would be replacing it - not fixing it - after the tweaks he sent me did not work.

Folks - that kind of support & service, very nice.

However, I had an LG B6. That panel developed this strange line down the middle of the screen where one half was darker & hazier than the other. This happened within maybe 20 days of buying the TV. LG sent service techs to my house with a new mother board (based on my description & the video I sent, I guess they knew what was wrong), took the TV down, replaced the board & put it right back up.

post #25 of 462 Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post
No - I haven't seen it! Are any reviewers posting post-update updates to their reviews about this? Rtings hasn't changed their gradient score/comments on this issue. Do you know the month it rolled out by any chance?

Let me know!
The update came out this month I believe. About 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't seen any reviewers post a update on the new firmware. I wish they did but everyone has seen improvements since it went out
MashCT likes this.
post #26 of 462 Old 05-30-2019, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
The update came out this month I believe. About 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't seen any reviewers post a update on the new firmware. I wish they did but everyone has seen improvements since it went out

You might message rtings.com on Facebook or perhaps @ababcock will see a post here and let you know. They are generally very good about retesting new firmware. I'm sure there has just been a lot going on with all the new sets out as of late.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #27 of 462 Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
You might message rtings.com on Facebook or perhaps @ababcock will see a post here and let you know. They are generally very good about retesting new firmware. I'm sure there has just been a lot going on with all the new sets out as of late.
Thanks for letting me know. We will recheck it, but it might take us a little while.
MashCT likes this.

RTINGS.com
post #28 of 462 Old 05-30-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
@MashCT anything you watch on Netflix thats HDR is Dolby Vision. All movies you stream on Vudu will be in Dolby Vision.

Here is a little tech info, your display peak brightness of 3000 nits, will not be displayed all the time. Content graded to 1000 nits, your display will not exceed that. Content graded to 4000 nits, your displaywill tone map, but very little. The brightest films, I can remember, are Mad Max Fury Road, Pacific Rim, Lego Movie, Aquaman, Ready Player One, Rampage, most Warner Bros are graded on Dolby Pulsar 4000 nit grading monitor.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
MashCT likes this.
post #29 of 462 Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11
This is all very interesting. I recently got to PQ, and have been agonizing about trading it up for the PQX. I'm guessing I'm safe to just keep the PQ, as I got it for a less than half the price of the PQX (hope that didn't break the no cost talk rules)

Some thoughts regarding possible firmware fixes; I do see crazy banding in those red scenes in Last Jedi with the PQ's newest firmware fixes, but that is really the worst offender for me so far. If any new firmware brings things up to par with the PQ, you will probably still notice them. I do however have little issues with banding in other DV sources. Watched an episode of Altered Carbon last night and only spotted color banding once, and it was really minor. I was surprised because the show is filled with tons of color and value gradients and it all looks smooth. I think a bit of grain helps in that regard. If you look closely at Vizio's demo video, it has a very heavy application of grain/noise added to the gradients to give a smooth dithered effect, but it's entirely in the source. I think that the Last Jedi example really highlights that these banding issues are source dependent, and the P/PQ/PQX do little to improve things in terms of any processing/frq etc.

Another thing i've noticed, the greater a current TV's ability to smooth gradients, the higher the input lag for the most part. Samsung seems to do the best with smoothing/lag, but I won't buy another Samsung screen. I've lost the panel lottery with them so many times I'm convinced that there is no winning (TV's, LCD's, Plasmas, Laptops, Phones you name it, their QC is ****). With that in mind, and considering I went team Vizio this time around for gaming, I'm perfectly happy with this compromise. Gaming on the PQ, and I'd assume the PQX is insanely good. The BFI is just ridiculously good. It's more clear than my Zowie competitive gaming monitor, with roughly the same input lag.
MashCT likes this.
post #30 of 462 Old 05-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I totally agree with the above post. My PQ has ZERO banding on HDR content, but you must use calibrated/calibrated dark modes and don't adjust the picture settings. On SDR you WILL see banding due to the brightness of this TV "stretching out " the colors. I also have next to ZERO DSE on any background, grey or color. Panning shots on any background looks fantastic.
MashCT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page