Forum Jump: 
 184Likes

post #1 of 276 Old 05-28-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Switch from OLED to LCD

I went to Best Buy this weekend to purchase a Sony x900F. When I was talking to the sales rep, he told me they had an open box LG B8 that came back to the store yesterday because the screen was not bright enough for the individual who originally purchased it.

Long story short, I couldn’t pass up the deal and brought it home. It is a beautiful TV, looks fantastic, everything I want.

However, the more I read about OLED’s, the more fear I have that I’m going to get burn in on the screen. If I am constantly watching baseball, football, tennis, there are going to be static logos on the screen constantly and I wonder if I’m even going to be able to enjoy this TV with the fear in the back my head that I’m going to have a burnt in MLB logo in the corner.

Have any of you moved away from an OLED because of this or am I overreacting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 276 Old 05-28-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked: 3427
^this is my view and others might have a different opinion, if your only using the oled for watching sporting events and not varying content, then I would recommend an LCD. If you plan on using the Oled for more than just sports you should be fine. Remember the key is to vary content.
sd13 likes this.
post #3 of 276 Old 05-28-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHawks View Post
I went to Best Buy this weekend to purchase a Sony x900F. When I was talking to the sales rep, he told me they had an open box LG B8 that came back to the store yesterday because the screen was not bright enough for the individual who originally purchased it.

Long story short, I couldn’t pass up the deal and brought it home. It is a beautiful TV, looks fantastic, everything I want.

However, the more I read about OLED’s, the more fear I have that I’m going to get burn in on the screen. If I am constantly watching baseball, football, tennis, there are going to be static logos on the screen constantly and I wonder if I’m even going to be able to enjoy this TV with the fear in the back my head that I’m going to have a burnt in MLB logo in the corner.

I have my eye on a 55” inch C8 OLED store display from, Best Buy I am sticking to my $500 offer they want $800
Pretty sure it has some burn in, from being a store display. I’ll get the Geek Squad Warranty, and claim Burn In and voila flipped for a new OLED Panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 276 Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^this is my view and others might have a different opinion, if your only using the oled for watching sporting events and not varying content, then I would recommend an LCD. If you plan on using the Oled for more than just sports you should be fine. Remember the key is to vary content.
I would say 75% sports, 20% Netflix, 5% network garage. Regardless, sounds like we are on the same page. Bummer too, nice tv. But, the reviews on the 900f are pretty nice as well.
post #5 of 276 Old 05-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
I have my eye on a 55” inch C8 OLED store display from, Best Buy I am sticking to my $500 offer they want $800
Pretty sure it has some burn in, from being a store display. I’ll get the Geek Squad Warranty, and claim Burn In and voila flipped for a new OLED Panel.

Spare yourself a headache and skip this approach. Chances are this strategy isn't going to work out the way you anticipate.
js950, scionracing, Smigro and 2 others like this.

82Q90R / 75Q9FN / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #6 of 276 Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
That's going to be a lot of work just to get your $500 back. The Geek Squad plan is tiered by price paid for the TV and only covers you for up the original price paid. No way you're going to get a new OLED out of it.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|Peachtree DAC•iT|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2/SF Chameleon B|Marantz 1508|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #7 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I was going in to buy a new 900F and was asking the salesman to compare that with the new LG SM9000. That’s when he brought up the open box OLED.
post #8 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 35
OLED burn-in is overblown. I've used my B7 as a desktop monitor for over a year with no visible burn-in, but I run it at 35 OLED Light (140 nits) so it doesn't trigger ABL. HDR content uses 100 OLED Light. If it lasts even 2 years I'll consider it worth my money. Even after that the burn-in would only be minor.
post #9 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2309 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
I watch lots of movies. 2017 LG OLED will get issues after two black bar movies a day for 3.5 years. I would keep the TV for 4/5 years so by the time issues occure i will have moved on to a new TV. In case one moves on to a new TV every few years i would not worry about OLED burn-in at all except for break-in period.
post #10 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know, thanks.

So I take it if I watch content with static bars/logos/whatever, keeping the OLED Light low will help.

I just worry not wanting to ruin the new set in less than a few years.
post #11 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have over 5500 hours on a c7 and half of that is just 2 games with static logos. I just checked last night and there is no burn in. I use OLED light at 35 to 60 (sdr to hdr). I have the screen saver/dimmer set on every device and I've never left the TV on overnight.
I have read all the burn in threads and I've never read about a sports' channel enthusiast in them. The common factors that I've seen are CNN (red logo, not white ones), 100 OLED light, no screensaver/TV left on indefinitely (stock tickers).
I recommend you first go to sports forums and see if anyone has issues; sport picture mode is rarely discussed here, I don't know what that does to the picture compared to game, technicolor, cinema modes which are the most commonly used.
Mrke1 and anwsmh like this.
post #12 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
I have over 5500 hours on a c7 and half of that is just 2 games with static logos. I just checked last night and there is no burn in. I use OLED light at 35 to 60 (sdr to hdr). I have the screen saver/dimmer set on every device and I've never left the TV on overnight.
I have read all the burn in threads and I've never read about a sports' channel enthusiast in them. The common factors that I've seen are CNN (red logo, not white ones), 100 OLED light, no screensaver/TV left on indefinitely (stock tickers).
I recommend you first go to sports forums and see if anyone has issues; sport picture mode is rarely discussed here, I don't know what that does to the picture compared to game, technicolor, cinema modes which are the most commonly used.

It seems like your relatively low OLED light is mitigating any possible burn-in. I would not have too much of a problem with 35 for SDR but limiting it to 60 for HDR would push the brightness well below the intended EOTF. The HDR content I watch now does not have logos, except for games, which would be my main concern. I would be quite unhappy if I burned in the RDR2 mini-map.

There were a few recent reports in the burn-in thread that the show red sidebar of the show "PTI" on ESPN caused very rapid burn-in (< 200 hours).
post #13 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I watch lots of movies. 2017 LG OLED will get issues after two black bar movies a day for 3.5 years. I would keep the TV for 4/5 years so by the time issues occure i will have moved on to a new TV. In case one moves on to a new TV every few years i would not worry about OLED burn-in at all except for break-in period.

Serious question...how can the black bars on an OLED burn in when those pixels essentially off? This doesn’t make any sense to me.

Has anyone actually seen black bars burn in on an OLED?
Mystaken likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #14 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurianOfBorg View Post
OLED burn-in is overblown. I've used my B7 as a desktop monitor for over a year with no visible burn-in, but I run it at 35 OLED Light (140 nits) so it doesn't trigger ABL. HDR content uses 100 OLED Light. If it lasts even 2 years I'll consider it worth my money. Even after that the burn-in would only be minor.
I have a 55” E6 that I got on 4/20/2017 and had burn-in from Overwatch within a year. Against red hues and grey I always see the ultimate meter. A friend who also bought the same model (both of us wanted 3D) has burn-in from both Overwatch and Destiny 2. So yeah I’m glad it worked out for some and, sure, a sample size of two isn’t high, but for me personally I’m done with OLED until either I know they’ve worked out BI or they’re so cheap that they’re disposable (under $500).

My next set will be either a quantum LED (the Vizio looks great) or a 4K LCD projector.

If there’s even a risk of BI I’m out...
tysonmax and coldharbor like this.
post #15 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Serious question...how can the black bars on an OLED burn in when those pixels essentially off? This doesn’t make any sense to me.

Black bars do not burn in. Everything else does though so it makes it seem like top and bottom has burn in.

Sent from my H9436 using Tapatalk
KidHorn likes this.
post #16 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

So in a nutshell, play or watch at your own risk and vary your content, like everyone says. You never know, rolling the dice essentially.

For me, watching as much sports as I do and the ESPN, MLB, Tennis Channel, CBS, ABC, etc logos always being on and the scores always located in the same spot etc. It sounds to me as though the Sony would be the smarter and safer route to go.
post #17 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

That is from the Rtings OLED burn-in test. 2016 OLEDs. I myself only see faint lines and wonder if that is black bar or other static stuff related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd 03-08-2019
Week 76 update of the 2016 Rtings.com burn-in test: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/perm...rn-in-lcd-oled

It's hard not to see the very faint first beginnings of letterbox burn-in on the magenta field.

This is not yet severe enough to be visible on content, but it means 2016 WOLEDs will start to develop letterbox...
Uneven wear..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd
Yes, the central area where letterbox content is displayed wears down faster than the letterbox bars (250% faster, to be exact).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...pdated-33.html

Last edited by 8mile13; 05-29-2019 at 12:26 PM.
post #18 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
It seems like your relatively low OLED light is mitigating any possible burn-in. I would not have too much of a problem with 35 for SDR but limiting it to 60 for HDR would push the brightness well below the intended EOTF. The HDR content I watch now does not have logos, except for games, which would be my main concern. I would be quite unhappy if I burned in the RDR2 mini-map.

There were a few recent reports in the burn-in thread that the show red sidebar of the show "PTI" on ESPN caused very rapid burn-in (< 200 hours).
The effect of OLED light is outside my knowledge base, is there some reference material you could post so I can learn more?
Someone else mentioned that too low of an OLED light setting borks the tone mapping. I have contrast/brightness at the recommended 100/50 for a C7 though. In researching what they said I found this: "The issue with OLED light is that you have to calibrate a TV to a particular mastered nit level, and if the content was mastered using a different level it makes tone mapping basically useless. So, use whatever OL best suits your eyes/environment."
post #19 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELUS View Post
I have a 55” E6 that I got on 4/20/2017 and had burn-in from Overwatch within a year. Against red hues and grey I always see the ultimate meter. A friend who also bought the same model (both of us wanted 3D) has burn-in from both Overwatch and Destiny 2. So yeah I’m glad it worked out for some and, sure, a sample size of two isn’t high, but for me personally I’m done with OLED until either I know they’ve worked out BI or they’re so cheap that they’re disposable (under $500).

My next set will be either a quantum LED (the Vizio looks great) or a 4K LCD projector.

Just wondering, what OLED light did you have it set at? Just curious.
post #20 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
I would say 75% sports, 20% Netflix, 5% network garage. Regardless, sounds like we are on the same page. Bummer too, nice tv. But, the reviews on the 900f are pretty nice as well.
OLEDs advantage for sports isn't as great as it for movies. It excels when the screen has a lot of contrast. Some dark and light mixed together. As long as the dark isn't too dark. Then it just turns off the pixels and you don't see much detail in the black. It's called black crush. Sports are uniformly bright.

IMO, plasma is the best for sports. It handles motion better than LCD and OLED. Too bad they stopped making them a few years back.
post #21 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
So in a nutshell, play or watch at your own risk and vary your content, like everyone says. You never know, rolling the dice essentially.

For me, watching as much sports as I do and the ESPN, MLB, Tennis Channel, CBS, ABC, etc logos always being on and the scores always located in the same spot etc. It sounds to me as though the Sony would be the smarter and safer route to go.
Think you summed it up perfectly. If you have to worry constantly than it’s not worth it. The 900f is a great tv too.
post #22 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Quote:
OLEDs advantage for sports isn't as great as it for movies. It excels when the screen has a lot of contrast. Some dark and light mixed together. As long as the dark isn't too dark. Then it just turns off the pixels and you don't see much detail in the black. It's called black crush. Sports are uniformly bright.

IMO, plasma is the best for sports. It handles motion better than LCD and OLED. Too bad they stopped making them a few years back.
So are you saying it would be a wiser decision for me to return the OLED and grab the Sony as the sports will look on par with one another and I will have zero risk for burn in?
post #23 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELUS View Post

Just wondering, what OLED light did you have it set at? Just curious.
All the way up, baby. It looks best at that setting to me, particularly for gaming, and LG wouldn’t sell me a very expensive tv where putting the backlight up and gaming on it would permanently damage it, would they?

Turns out the answer is: maybe?
post #24 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post
Quote:

Think you summed it up perfectly. If you have to worry constantly than it’s not worth it. The 900f is a great tv too.
Touch&#233;. I would also imagine with cable being my main source, the content on either of these sets is going to look pretty similar. The main difference will be the picture quality when streaming. However reading the reviews on both of them, I don’t think one can go wrong either way.
post #25 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
a LOT of hot air above^^^ take the OLED back get a LCD.

1 year LG OLED at BB. it was much worse looking in person, the glare hides a lot from my camera in fact every single OLED Sony or LG was all burned in. The BS about OLED not burning in is a bold face lie, its not if but when...?

I took a bunch of pics but now I cant find the others, OLED = money flushed down the drain. I'd hold out for MicroLED or CLED

coldharbor likes this.

Sony Tri-75" Z9D's / 75" 850C / Apple 4KTV / OPPO UDP-203 / twin X1X Scorpio's

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 05-29-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #26 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
post #27 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 01:38 PM

It really is bad if LG does allow certain settings on their sets to damage the sets with normal use (I’d consider gaming and sports normal).

Personally, I’m not going to buy something this expensive again that I have to be so careful with using normally. By all accounts I’ve read, the Vizio quantum sets are almost as good as the OLED and don’t burn in. Black levels and viewing angles seem to be the only compromises, and you don’t have to treat your TV like it’s made of glass.

I went through this back in the rear projection days and hated it. Mad at myself for doing is again and getting burned (get it? burned?).

If you’re just watching movies on it, the picture is absolutely insane. So much so that if I wasn’t a gamer or sports head I’d still consider it. But because of the damage to my set when I turn it on it’s like the best meal you can imagine with a fly in it.
rduclett and coldharbor like this.
post #28 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked: 3427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
That is from the Rtings OLED burn-in test. 2016 OLEDs. I myself only see faint lines and wonder if that is black bar or other static stuff related.

Uneven wear..

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...pdated-33.html
This would be a big problem if that were the case. My son has my old E6 and it has no signs of BI from widescreen movies, and My old C7 didnt suffer from it as well.
dreaux likes this.
post #29 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...photos-82.html

go back and get the Sony 900f
post #30 of 276 Old 05-29-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
This would be a big problem if that were the case. My son has my old E6 and it has no signs of BI from widescreen movies, and My old C7 didnt suffer from it as well.
2016 LG OLEDs uneven wear starts after 4,000/4,500 hours black bar stuff in Rtings test. According fafrd 2017 etc..LG OLEDs should take much longer for visible signs uneven wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page