Vizio 2019 V-Series Official Owner's Thread (price talk not allowed) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 11-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When I am playing Xbox one x is there a way to show the resolution being displayed? When in PC mode if I hit the info button it displays 2160p in the top right corner. Not so while playing Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Frustrations with the V405-G9 and Harmony remote discrete commands. The PowerOn command does not work and the discrete input commands (InputHDMI1, etc.) do not work when displaying any of the SmartCast screens. When I contacted Vizio about this, they seemed to have no intention of helping out. Disappointing...
post #33 of 46 Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
Moderators, I looked at all the forums and felt this was the most appropriate to post this in, but feel free to move it if that's not the case.

I just purchased a VIZIO V405-G9 TV (supports 4K and HDR) yesterday and plugged it in right away anxious to experience 4K, since it's my first 4K set. However, no matter what I tried, the highest resolution I saw in the top bar (which you get when you switch inputs or press the Info button) is 1080p. I tried all of the following:
  • 4k content on the Netflix app through SmartCast (I pay for the Netflix Ultra HD plan).
  • 4K content on the Netflix app through the 3rd gen FireTV (the square dongle) connected to HDMI1, which supports 4K.
  • 4K content on the Prime Video app through SmartCast (I have a Prime account).
  • 4K content on the Prime Video app through the FireTV.
  • The 4K Pluto TV channel through SmartCast.
  • The 4K Pluto TV channel through the FireTV.

According to the info bar on top, everything seems to stream at 1080p, 720p and even lower and I have yet to see the HDR icon I am supposed to see when HDR is enabled.

However, I then thought of bandwidth and googled what's required for 4K. I read you need a minimum 25 mbit/sec download for a steady, clear 4K stream. Right away, I used the TV menu to check the speeds I am getting on the TV. Average is 2.5 mbit/sec, but it varies constantly and wildly from 200 kb/sec to 5 mbit/sec; it just does not go above that. I found that rather strange, since I have a Netgear Orbi RBR50 router with an RBS50 satellite, which I even placed right next to the TV... No change. I even plugged the TV into the satellite via RJ45 cable... No change. Same speeds whether the satellite was further, next to the TV or wired. I even made sure through my Orbi app that the TV was connecting to the satellite, not the router, which is 2 rooms away. At the same time, just to make sure my network was working as expected, I used 2 different devices (one of them being my cell phone) in the same location to test speeds and every reading was above 90 mbit/sec, some as high as 120 mbit/sec.

So my question and concern are around the WiFi adapter/drivers of the VIZIO TV. Why am I not getting anything above 5 mbit/sec when my router is capable of so much more? If the TV is not capable of more, how can it even stream 4K video?

I do have the very latest software version, which was installed during initial setup. I checked a couple of times.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Did you ever get your 4K issues resolved?
I saw in the documentation only HDMI 1 and 2 are v2.0 HDMI-3 is not.
On the M8 series there is a UHD setting for each HDMI input that had to be enabled, don't know if the V series has this, didn't see it in the documentation.
What's the firmware and Smartcast versions on your TV?
Thinking of getting the v405 because of size restraint issues also.

Last edited by RJRobb; 12-06-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Just got my v405 because my 27" PC monitor just died. 40" is the largest size I can tolerate on my desk without neck pain I have already had a Samsung 40" UHD TV as PC monitor and this will just be perfect for another one side by side. TBH, right now, this is the only 40" UHD I can find.

Anyway, regarding earlier reports about the 4K issue, I have seen no issues at all. Both WiFi and wired work fine for 4K streaming. Using Youtube app stats, both can reach around 70 to 80 mpbs w/o issues. Wifi can be a little bit higher but wired seems a little bit more stable. Tried YouTube 4K HDR and Disney+ and Prime Video 4K. Both worked fine. But the it takes some time for stream app to ramp up the stream resolution than the Samsung TV I have sit next to it.

Surprised to find out HDMI3 is not HDMI 2.0 UHD port. It maxed out at 1080p and I can't find this information in the current user manual Vizio posted online.

Had some initial problems when first connected to my PCs (max out at 4K 30p) but it resolves itself shortly after and my PC is not happily output 4K 60P with HDR10 support.

BTW, compare to Samsung (supports DLNA with DrTCP DRM), Vizio's total lack of DLNA support is surprising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200406_095940.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2706564  

Last edited by Foxbat121; 04-06-2020 at 07:51 AM.
post #35 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonSplitter View Post
When I am playing Xbox one x is there a way to show the resolution being displayed? When in PC mode if I hit the info button it displays 2160p in the top right corner. Not so while playing Xbox.
The Info button works for all modes. It is just sometimes slower to respond. For Xbox One X/S, the resolution will always be 2160p regardless how the game is rendered internally.
post #36 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post
Frustrations with the V405-G9 and Harmony remote discrete commands. The PowerOn command does not work and the discrete input commands (InputHDMI1, etc.) do not work when displaying any of the SmartCast screens. When I contacted Vizio about this, they seemed to have no intention of helping out. Disappointing...
The PowerOn command does not work. That's probably Logictech problem rather than Vizio problem. However, discrete input commands do not work in SmartCast screens (and app screens) is a Vizio problem but given these commands don't show up in its remote, you can hardly blame Vizio for not supporting you.
post #37 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
The PowerOn command does not work. That's probably Logictech problem rather than Vizio problem. However, discrete input commands do not work in SmartCast screens (and app screens) is a Vizio problem but given these commands don't show up in its remote, you can hardly blame Vizio for not supporting you.
Discrete commands don't show up on my Samsung or Denon remotes either, but they support them nevertheless. I would think Vizio would want a positive user experience, but maybe not.
post #38 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 01:29 PM

You get what you paid for. The profit margin determines how much they will invest on support.
post #39 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
I was wondering if I needed to spend more time trying to figure this one out. Thanks for clarifying this issue for me!
post #40 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 02:20 PM

The info button lags badly if you have 4K HDR (HDR10, DV or HLG) signal. It seems the processor is too weak to have time processing info button display. To be expected for entry level TVs. Still way faster than my old 60" Samsung J6300 TV where the smart apps won't work until you power it on for something like 5 tp 10 minutes (and extremely slow when it works).
post #41 of 46 Old 04-06-2020, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Service Menu code?

I'm needing the service enu code for the V-series so I can set the tv to power on automatically when power is restored.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!
post #42 of 46 Old 04-11-2020, 06:43 AM

I noticed a few times when I exited an app like Youtube or Prime Video, it went back to a blank home screen instead of SmartCast. Annoying because there is no other way to launch apps like YouTube (which is not part of the express launch button on the remote).

Also, the network speed test built into YouTube shows consistently slower network speed (I have FIOS Gigabit internet) both wired and AC wireless: mostly below 50mbps. Compare that to the Samsung TV's YouTube app, 75mbps wired, over 100mbps wireless, sitting side by side to this TV. This manifested as various streaming apps always start with very low resolution and slowly ramp up to the 4K quality.
post #43 of 46 Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone manage to get their hands on a V436-G1 with an IPS panel? The CNET review states that some of these will have IPS vs VA panels, and I wanted to see how much I should worry about picking one up with an IPS screen if that's all that's in stock around me.
post #44 of 46 Old 06-29-2020, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking at the V405-G9, mainly for two reasons - physical size (width) limitation and native AirPlay2.

In my first wanderings, i saw folks have issues with the lack of new apps. How much is that a real world issue? Which one(s) are missing that causes the most aggravation? Is YouTube TV included? Is having AirPlay2 in essence make that a non-issue?

Since it's for the bedroom, it will really just be for casual viewing, so I'm not that concerned with minor picture issues. I probably won't even add a sound bar.

Comments, please.

Much appreciated.
post #45 of 46 Old 06-30-2020, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I can't speak for AirPlay 2 since I don't use anything Apple. And yes YouTube TV is now available on the SmartCast OS. As far as my experience has been with SmartCast it's been a passable but occasionally a clunky experience sometimes with the overall responsiveness being the worst factor for me. The app selection is getting better now though, with Movies Anywhere app making it's debut on Vizio TVs just last week ago.
I hope SmartCast 4.0 that the 2020 Vizio TVs will use will have a more satisfying experience.

One nation, under God. Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
post #46 of 46 Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 AM

AirPlay2 works but my first try failed. So, it is not very consistent. It won't replace the native app though as casting via it produce lower resolution videos it seems. You want native apps or a dedicated stream box because the internal upscaler really does a poor job. Most popular apps are supported in SmartCast including YouTube TV. But I found the network interface (either wifi or wired) is slow so that it takes couple seconds for stream apps to ramp up resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page