I have had my RU7100 for about a month now. However, while testing some game consoles hooked up to the unit, I started to notice some strange artifacts that appear similar to screen tearing, but somewhat different.
- The "tearing" is best described as a "region of lag" that is a few frames behind the rest of the image. The image within the region exhibits some discoloration.
- Unlike typical screen tearing, the artifact is not perfectly straight and rectangular across the whole display; it instead follows an irregular pattern that always appears in the same region at the top of the TV. I threw together an example, along with the artifact captured during gameplay, both attached below.
- The screen tearing only seems to affect component video sources, in this case, my original Xbox and my Wii. Both use their respective OEM component cables, securely fastened to the TV.
- The tearing only occurs when the consoles output 480p.
Setting them to output interlaced 480i
removes the tearing, though this is not ideal as input lag is introduced and image quality takes a hit.
- The effect is not always present. It typically appears for less than a second a few times per minute though it can occasionally last for much longer.
- Game Mode is set to ON
on the TV.
I'm not sure if this is a usual flaw of modern televisions. I'm hoping to find out what causes this and if it can be easily fixed, so I thought I'd hop on the forums to hopefully get some input from experts on this TV.