Samsung RU 7100 owner's thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post
Hmm, thanks for that. I feel like I do have some more research to do though, since the HDR images on Disney + are quite dark, and I never seemed to have this issue in games. Will definitely have to spend a bit more time with it. Maybe it just needs to be more properly calibrated in HDR mode, as it's currently super dark.
You can try my HDR settings from a few posts earlier and see how that looks. As for the "UHD color" setting to enable HDR from each HDMI input, I think that terminology has changed to "input signal plus", still in the external device manager menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brygalt_hdr View Post
You can try my HDR settings from a few posts earlier and see how that looks. As for the "UHD color" setting to enable HDR from each HDMI input, I think that terminology has changed to "input signal plus", still in the external device manager menu.
Thanks again. You know, I did fire up Master Chief Collection tonight in anticipation of playing some Halo Reach, and I did see that this game offers some HDR settings that definitely alleviated some of the dim picture I am seeing with Disney+. I was able to get D+ looking better but it's still fairly dim compared to HDR10 disabled. I can definitely tell because even the XBox menu is darker when it switches over. I've tried turning contrast and gamma up, but the whole image still feels a little dark, almost like the backlight isn't maxed out. I'm contemplating just keeping HDR10 off, as I'm not sure if this TV will even show many of the benefits of HDR anyway.
post #33 of 38 Old 12-04-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can anyone on this thread comment on the most recent firmware update (1290.4). Any observations on color, brightness, or anything else regarding picture quality? Did anything change for the worse, or better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 12-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brygalt_hdr View Post
Can anyone on this thread comment on the most recent firmware update (1290.4). Any observations on color, brightness, or anything else regarding picture quality? Did anything change for the worse, or better?
You are in the RU 7100 Owner's thread which is on Firmware ver1335.0.

I guessing you have a NU 7100 and are posting in the wrong thread?

Last edited by atkirkp; 12-04-2019 at 08:24 PM.
post #35 of 38 Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have a Samsung 43" RU7100. Just used the calibration settings at RTINGS......my tv has both 2.2 and BT1886 gamma. Which is the one to use?

Thanks
post #36 of 38 Old 12-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryh325 View Post
Have a Samsung 43" RU7100. Just used the calibration settings at RTINGS......my tv has both 2.2 and BT1886 gamma. Which is the one to use?

Thanks
Typically 2.2 in Bight/well lit room. BT1886 in an average to dark room.
post #37 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkirkp View Post
Typically 2.2 in Bight/well lit room. BT1886 in an average to dark room.
But do the other calibration settings (from the NRTINGS website) in white balance and color space settings have to be adjusted if switching to BT1886?
post #38 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryh325 View Post
But do the other calibration settings (from the NRTINGS website) in white balance and color space settings have to be adjusted if switching to BT1886?
Probably but you should run that question by RTINGS.

This post from Mr Fujisawa I've found to be a simple summary of what benefits of the 2 are.
"I use both, My bright preset is 2.2 and my dark preset is BT1886 (basically 2.4). That way I get to see more shadow detail when its bright in the room and when its nice and dark, I have much punchier shadow detail."

RTINGS used 2.2 with the reasoning that it was closest to their calibration target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page