Samsung RU 7100 owner's thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post
Hmm, thanks for that. I feel like I do have some more research to do though, since the HDR images on Disney + are quite dark, and I never seemed to have this issue in games. Will definitely have to spend a bit more time with it. Maybe it just needs to be more properly calibrated in HDR mode, as it's currently super dark.
You can try my HDR settings from a few posts earlier and see how that looks. As for the "UHD color" setting to enable HDR from each HDMI input, I think that terminology has changed to "input signal plus", still in the external device manager menu.
brygalt_hdr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 38 Old 12-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
PogueSquadron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by brygalt_hdr View Post
You can try my HDR settings from a few posts earlier and see how that looks. As for the "UHD color" setting to enable HDR from each HDMI input, I think that terminology has changed to "input signal plus", still in the external device manager menu.
Thanks again. You know, I did fire up Master Chief Collection tonight in anticipation of playing some Halo Reach, and I did see that this game offers some HDR settings that definitely alleviated some of the dim picture I am seeing with Disney+. I was able to get D+ looking better but it's still fairly dim compared to HDR10 disabled. I can definitely tell because even the XBox menu is darker when it switches over. I've tried turning contrast and gamma up, but the whole image still feels a little dark, almost like the backlight isn't maxed out. I'm contemplating just keeping HDR10 off, as I'm not sure if this TV will even show many of the benefits of HDR anyway.
PogueSquadron is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old 12-04-2019, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can anyone on this thread comment on the most recent firmware update (1290.4). Any observations on color, brightness, or anything else regarding picture quality? Did anything change for the worse, or better?
brygalt_hdr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 38 Old 12-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Member
 
atkirkp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brygalt_hdr View Post
Can anyone on this thread comment on the most recent firmware update (1290.4). Any observations on color, brightness, or anything else regarding picture quality? Did anything change for the worse, or better?
You are in the RU 7100 Owner's thread which is on Firmware ver1335.0.

I guessing you have a NU 7100 and are posting in the wrong thread?

Last edited by atkirkp; 12-04-2019 at 08:24 PM.
atkirkp is offline  
post #35 of 38 Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have a Samsung 43" RU7100. Just used the calibration settings at RTINGS......my tv has both 2.2 and BT1886 gamma. Which is the one to use?

Thanks
gregoryh325 is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old 12-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Member
 
atkirkp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryh325 View Post
Have a Samsung 43" RU7100. Just used the calibration settings at RTINGS......my tv has both 2.2 and BT1886 gamma. Which is the one to use?

Thanks
Typically 2.2 in Bight/well lit room. BT1886 in an average to dark room.
atkirkp is offline  
post #37 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkirkp View Post
Typically 2.2 in Bight/well lit room. BT1886 in an average to dark room.
But do the other calibration settings (from the NRTINGS website) in white balance and color space settings have to be adjusted if switching to BT1886?
gregoryh325 is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old 12-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Member
 
atkirkp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryh325 View Post
But do the other calibration settings (from the NRTINGS website) in white balance and color space settings have to be adjusted if switching to BT1886?
Probably but you should run that question by RTINGS.

This post from Mr Fujisawa I've found to be a simple summary of what benefits of the 2 are.
"I use both, My bright preset is 2.2 and my dark preset is BT1886 (basically 2.4). That way I get to see more shadow detail when its bright in the room and when its nice and dark, I have much punchier shadow detail."

RTINGS used 2.2 with the reasoning that it was closest to their calibration target.
atkirkp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off