Relocating a premium 65inch LCD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Hi guys,
I am moving cross-country(NY to FL) in a little over a month. I currently have a Sony 65inch z9d mounted using a premium Sanus Advanced Tilt Mount. In addition to handing over the tv in its box(original factory box with materials) to the movers to put on the truck, I also need professionals to remove the mount plate from the wall, and the mount arms off the back of the z9d. I looked into hiring a local reputable AV integrator to not only remove the plate and the arms, but also box the tv for a good price. Unfortunately, the moving company won't insure it unless they box the tv set themselves, and I can't risk losing the 2grand I spent on this set. Should I trust the movers to remove my premium set and then box it? Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by MLM87; 06-04-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM87 View Post
Hi guys,
I am moving cross-country(NY to FL) in a little over a month. I currently have a Sony 65inch z9d mounted using a premium Sanus Advanced Tilt Mount. In addition to handing over the tv in its box(original factory box with materials) to the movers to put on the truck, I also need professionals to remove the mount plate from the wall, and the mount arms off the back of the z9d. I looked into hiring a local reputable AV integrator to not only remove the plate and the arms, but also box the tv for a good price. Unfortunately, the moving company won't insure it unless they box the tv set themselves, and I can't risking losing the 2grand I spent on this set. Should I trust the movers to remove my premium set and then box it? Does anyone have any suggestions? Would maybe shipping via freight be a better option? Any help would great. Thanks.
Here's a video of unboxing the set, which includes the anti-static material that was wrapped around the Z9d.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You're going to 100% want the movers to pack it so it's insured. Anything you pack yourself will not be covered. They may or may not use the box.

Make sure you pick up full value protection with the carrier rather than the released value protection that pays by the pound. There's always risk involved in moving high value items, so you just want to make sure to carry adequate insurance.

On the other end, if it's by chance damaged, you need to be very specific with your claim or you'll get a lesser TV. It's not a "65" TV" -- you'll get a garbage replacement. It's a "Sony 65" 4k TV with x zones of local dimming, Dolby Vision/HDR10/HLG, 4 HDMI inputs, X1 Extreme Processor." You have to be specific to get a like-for-like replacement cost. Not sure I can link it to you, but there's a reddit post on this from an insurance adjuster that's very good reading if you end up having to do a damage claim. You will -- something always gets damaged in a move.

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/43iyip/our_family_of_5_lost_everything_in_a_fire/cziljy3/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks720 View Post
You're going to 100% want the movers to pack it so it's insured. Anything you pack yourself will not be covered. They may or may not use the box.

Make sure you pick up full value protection with the carrier rather than the released value protection that pays by the pound. There's always risk involved in moving high value items, so you just want to make sure to carry adequate insurance.

On the other end, if it's by chance damaged, you need to be very specific with your claim or you'll get a lesser TV. It's not a "65" TV" -- you'll get a garbage replacement. It's a "Sony 65" 4k TV with x zones of local dimming, Dolby Vision/HDR10/HLG, 4 HDMI inputs, X1 Extreme Processor." You have to be specific to get a like-for-like replacement cost. Not sure I can link it to you, but there's a reddit post on this from an insurance adjuster that's very good reading if you end up having to do a damage claim. You will -- something always gets damaged in a move.

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfin..._fire/cziljy3/
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I still need to remove the tv mount plate from the wall and arms from the back of tv. Should I trust the movers to remove those? I feel like I need professional sony certified installers to do that. I'm just nervous the movers will have a hard time removing the mounts and then putting it right in the box.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-06-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfin..._fire/cziljy3/
What insurance do you recommend?
post #6 of 18 Old 06-06-2019, 01:57 PM

Usually buy insurance from the moving company. Federal law requires them to offer you a choice between released value and full value. Make sure you're working with a reputable company -- Mayflower, United, Graebel, Atlas, Bekins, etc. They're required to give you a document called "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" which you can google. I can't link it. Page 6 describes liability.

I'd think nothing of letting the movers take the mount off the TV -- it's something they do every day, and they're liable if they mess it up.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Usually buy insurance from the moving company. Federal law requires them to offer you a choice between released value and full value. Make sure you're working with a reputable company -- Mayflower, United, Graebel, Atlas, Bekins, etc. They're required to give you a document called "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" which you can google. I can't link it. Page 6 describes liability.

I'd think nothing of letting the movers take the mount off the TV -- it's something they do every day, and they're liable if they mess it up.
Thank you for the info. I understand what you mean, but I'm still hesitant on having a moving company dismount a premium tv set with a complex mounting system. The Sanus mount took 30-40 min to configure and mount, and I also need it removed from the wall in addition to the arms attached to the Z9d. When I called Sony, they said I would be better off with professional AV integrators dismounting the set. Is there anyway to ensure it with the moving company if professional integrators at least dismount the tv set?
post #8 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Sure -- hire the integrator to disassemble it, but let the movers crate it to their specification.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would personally want to transport that set since there aren’t any real replacements for it.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
I would personally want to transport that set since there aren’t any real replacements for it.
When you refer to "transport" do mean using a moving company or freight?
post #11 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately, I still need to remove the tv mount plate from the wall and arms from the back of tv. Should I trust the movers to remove those? I feel like I need professional sony certified installers to do that. I'm just nervous the movers will have a hard time removing the mounts and then putting it right in the box.
I don't know what specific mount you have, but i would bet dollars to doughnuts it is probably a standard VESA mount to the back of the TV which is really easy to remove. Yeah actually I just goggled it. There are 2 rods with a loop at the end hanging down behind the TV. Pull those down and it will unclip the bottom bracket from the wall mount. Then just swing the bottom of the tv forward to clear the bracket and live the entire TV up off the wall mount. then you can lay it flat screen side down, on a blanket or something to protect the screen, and un screw the 4 flat head screws from the back of the TV and the entire assembly comes right off. Same thing more or less to remove it from the wall.
post #12 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
I don't know what specific mount you have, but i would bet dollars to doughnuts it is probably a standard VESA mount to the back of the TV which is really easy to remove. Yeah actually I just goggled it. There are 2 rods with a loop at the end hanging down behind the TV. Pull those down and it will unclip the bottom bracket from the wall mount. Then just swing the bottom of the tv forward to clear the bracket and live the entire TV up off the wall mount. then you can lay it flat screen side down, on a blanket or something to protect the screen, and un screw the 4 flat head screws from the back of the TV and the entire assembly comes right off. Same thing more or less to remove it from the wall.
I have this mount: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-p...?skuId=5463301. So you are saying the movers should have no problem with this? Keep in mind, they have no AV experience. I'm just concerned they might put too much pressure on the panel when they place their fingers around the borders(or even on the panel itself), as that can cause dead pixels.

Last edited by MLM87; 06-11-2019 at 08:44 AM.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
I have this mount: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus-p...?skuId=5463301. So you are saying the movers should have no problem with this? Keep in mind, they have no AV experience. I'm just concerned they might put too much pressure on the panel when they place their fingers around the borders(or even on the panel itself), as that can cause dead pixels.
They should have no issue, but at the same time if your really worried you could remove the mount from the TV in maybe 10 minutes. I just did a Sanus stand on my Vizio 65" P Series, and it is supper simple. There are literally 4 screws holding your tv to the bracket mounted on the back. If you see those rods hanging down in the picture you linked, you pull those down and it releases the bottom of the TV from the bracket then you merely rotate the bottom towards the front and lift the whole shebang right off. If your even remotely handy around the house, meaning you can screw or unscrew something, you can get the whole mount off the TV no problem. Go here https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products...e=advancedtilt towards the end of that PDF it shows you how to remove it from the wall mounted bracket. If you don't want to do it yourself just print that out and give it to them.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
When you refer to "transport" do mean using a moving company or freight?

I'm talking about driving the TV down there yourself.(could be a girlfriend/wife or a friend that helps drive) If you don't already have a vehicle that can accommodate the size of your television-get one from a rental car company like a van or large SUV. And of course you could put more precious items with it to really get your moneys worth.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Sure -- hire the integrator to disassemble it, but let the movers crate it to their specification.
Yes, I guess that's an option. Thank you for the info.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
They should have no issue, but at the same time if your really worried you could remove the mount from the TV in maybe 10 minutes. I just did a Sanus stand on my Vizio 65" P Series, and it is supper simple. There are literally 4 screws holding your tv to the bracket mounted on the back. If you see those rods hanging down in the picture you linked, you pull those down and it releases the bottom of the TV from the bracket then you merely rotate the bottom towards the front and lift the whole shebang right off. If your even remotely handy around the house, meaning you can screw or unscrew something, you can get the whole mount off the TV no problem. Go here https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products...e=advancedtilt towards the end of that PDF it shows you how to remove it from the wall mounted bracket. If you don't want to do it yourself just print that out and give it to them.
Yes, but I would need to have the movers dismount it and pack it, to make sure they are liable according to the bill of lading(contract). Printing out instructions sounds like a great idea.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-11-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
I'm talking about driving the TV down there yourself.(could be a girlfriend/wife or a friend that helps drive) If you don't already have a vehicle that can accommodate the size of your television-get one from a rental car company like a van or large SUV. And of course you could put more precious items with it to really get your moneys worth.
Well, I'm moving cross-country so I'm moving some stuff via flight and then packing and moving everything else on a moving truck. Unfortunately, driving is not in the cards. That would be the safest option though. I am going to have to insure it.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Yes, but I would need to have the movers dismount it and pack it, to make sure they are liable according to the bill of lading(contract). ...
Are you absolutely sure about the part that the movers need to dismount the TV from the wall? That makes no sense to me. All they should care about is that the TV is operational when they pack it at your old place and also when they unpack it at the destination.

From the moving company's perspective you should be able to remove the TV from the wall yourself (or have a professional AV installer do it for you), set the TV on top of any old piece of furniture, hook it up and make sure it's operational. The movers arrive at your home and see an operating TV sitting on top of a piece of furniture. They pack it up, transport it, set it up on top of a piece of furniture at your new place and make sure it's operational.

But if I had something that I considered irreplaceable in the sense that insurance couldn't replace it with something of comparable performance and value I'd find a way to transport it myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page