Hisense H8F - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 10-31-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I was able to get the lasted 50H8F firmware from Hisense support. Looks like the version is J0816 and it includes Amazon Prime for Android TV. Overall it seems a little more responsive. I'll have to see if the PQ improved.
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinermoose241 View Post
I was able to get the lasted 50H8F firmware from Hisense support. Looks like the version is J0816 and it includes Amazon Prime for Android TV. Overall it seems a little more responsive. I'll have to see if the PQ improved.
That's how mine was after the update, then it froze up, responded slowly and rebooted on its own. Came back up and it was [still] sluggish. I turned off WIFI on the TV and I'll stick with my Roku streaming stick until this gets better....it ain't even close to being acceptable.
post #63 of 88 Old 10-31-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna152flyboy View Post
That's how mine was after the update, then it froze up, responded slowly and rebooted on its own. Came back up and it was [still] sluggish. I turned off WIFI on the TV and I'll stick with my Roku streaming stick until this gets better....it ain't even close to being acceptable.
I've been using it for about 4 hours and between Youtube, Prime, and Live TV usage I haven't had anything lockup or feel slow/sluggish. I'll report back if I see anything change. As for the picture, it's quite good and very bright. Only time will tell I guess. So far the only thing I am not a fan of is having to open a ticket with support to get the latest version of the firmware. Updating over Wifi should be a simple process in 2019...

Last edited by Marinermoose241; 10-31-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 88 Old 10-31-2019, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The one issue I am having is apps like Netflix and Youtube saying 'Update Pending' but they never download the update. Youtube recently updated with HDR support, but apparently has another update. It's been like this for about a week or a week and a half. Sometimes the 'Update Pending' will go away. But upon rebooting the TV it will re-appear with Netflix and Youtube saying that they have updates pending. I have no idea why they're not downloading.
post #65 of 88 Old 11-05-2019, 05:56 AM

I received a message that a new update was available this morning. Version is J1008. The description said that improves picture quality as well as bug fixes.

I didn't have much time to test it this morning before work but I wanted to let others know in case they manually check for updates. If you received it let me know what you think.
post #66 of 88 Old 11-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I received a message that a new update was available this morning. Version is J1008. The description said that improves picture quality as well as bug fixes.

I didn't have much time to test it this morning before work but I wanted to let others know in case they manually check for updates. If you received it let me know what you think.
Got an update this morning as well. Haven't really tested it out yet. Just checked a couple of things. Tried out Altered Carbon in Dolby Vision, not sure if it's a placebo effect or not but motion seemed a little bit better.
post #67 of 88 Old 11-05-2019, 10:49 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

What version is your Amazon Prime?

Today my firmware updated to J1008. Prior to this firmware update I sideloaded the Prime Video app, version 4.12.12. After the firmware upgrade, the Prime app version stayed the same. However, online the Google Play store and on my Sony Android TV the Prime Video version is the latest 4.14.1

I checked to see if there were any updates for Prime using the Google Play app on the H8F but nothing showed up.
post #68 of 88 Old 11-05-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
What version is your Amazon Prime?

Today my firmware updated to J1008. Prior to this firmware update I sideloaded the Prime Video app, version 4.12.12. After the firmware upgrade, the Prime app version stayed the same. However, online the Google Play store and on my Sony Android TV the Prime Video version is the latest 4.14.1

I checked to see if there were any updates for Prime using the Google Play app on the H8F but nothing showed up.
My Amazon Prime version is also 4.12.12. I wish these companies wouldn't include any apps and let us install them from the store. As you stated we are not running the latest unless we side load it.
NTC likes this.
post #69 of 88 Old 11-11-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey all,

Out of curiosity, has the flickering in the highlights been resolved in the latest firmware update for everyone? I am looking into this TV and am probably going to pull the trigger next week if the flickering issue has been resolved.
post #70 of 88 Old 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any opinions on this TV for PC gaming? I'm considering using it for couch co-op type games by running one of the HDMI outs of my PC to it. I'd be using it for streaming too, but probably gaming mostly. I've heard mixed things about the motion while gaming.
post #71 of 88 Old 11-12-2019, 01:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzup4567 View Post
Hey all,

Out of curiosity, has the flickering in the highlights been resolved in the latest firmware update for everyone? I am looking into this TV and am probably going to pull the trigger next week if the flickering issue has been resolved.

I second this, i am leaning now towards the TCL 65r613 from costco because of said issues. Both will be priced same on b friday but laggy response and flickering are killing the h8f choice for me.
post #72 of 88 Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbiotic View Post
I second this, i am leaning now towards the TCL 65r613 from costco because of said issues. Both will be priced same on b friday but laggy response and flickering are killing the h8f choice for me.
Someone posted earlier in the thread the latest firmware fixed the flickering for them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 22922 View Post
I was emailed an update file which fixed my issues. Not sure if there is an update issue on the TV, it said I was always on the latest version when I searched. The firmware update fixed the HDR HDMI flickering on the TV. HDR also now works in YouTube when it didn't before
post #73 of 88 Old 11-22-2019, 01:00 PM

I also haven't noticed any more of the flickering issue since the latest update a week or so ago.
post #74 of 88 Old 11-23-2019, 01:40 PM

Does anybody else have an issue with Dolby Vision elevating black levels? It's been like that since I bought the TV and after a few firmware updates it still hasn't been fixed. It's not consistent across content either. Some Dolby Vision content you have to drop Brightness down more then others. Some content only needs Brightness dropped to 49 - 48 and other content down to 43 - 39. Whereas HDR10 is an easy across the board fix. Just drop Contrast down to 42 to fix white clipping and bring Brightness up to 54 to fix black clipping. And it works across all HDR10 content whereas there is no one setting to fix Dolby Vision elevating the black level.
post #75 of 88 Old 12-07-2019, 04:32 PM

I'm wondering if the 55" will be back in stock on Amazon before the holidays, Best Buy has them but I don't know what their exchange policy is like for a TV if the panel has issues. I had also considered getting the TCL on sale at Costco for similar pricing, but don't feel like playing the lottery if I don't have to. Has the new firmware definitely resolved some of the issues people were having?
post #76 of 88 Old 12-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I think Best Buy is pretty great about returns/exchanges for panel issues, but their return period is only 15 days I believe.
post #77 of 88 Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How is this tv for sports? Primarily Hockey and Football.
post #78 of 88 Old 12-15-2019, 09:50 PM

Just picked up a 50H8F from Best Buy. A couple of issues:

1) For VUDU app installed on the TV - it cannot play UHD titles, and says "Unable to start playback". Non-UHD titles play fine.

2) Native app - Google Play Movies & TV / youtube - I have some 4k HDR movies there, but when I play them, they don't play in HDR mode, only 4K

Any solution for the above issues? The biggest issue to me is I cannot play any purchased movie in HDR mode with apps in the TV.

Firmware is J1008 - the TV updated a few times when I first set it up, and ended up with J1008.
post #79 of 88 Old 12-15-2019, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergga View Post

1) For VUDU app installed on the TV - it cannot play UHD titles, and says "Unable to start playback". Non-UHD titles play fine.

2) Native app - Google Play Movies & TV / youtube - I have some 4k HDR movies there, but when I play them, they don't play in HDR mode, only 4K

Any solution for the above issues? The biggest issue to me is I cannot play any purchased movie in HDR mode with apps in the TV.

Firmware is J1008 - the TV updated a few times when I first set it up, and ended up with J1008.
Re: 1) Have similar issue with Vudu's Android TV app. Some UHD movies will not play. This has happened over several updates. For full disclosure I'm sideloading Vudu on a Firestick 4K, as it's not available in the Amazon Appstore. Roku version seems to work fine. Since 4K Roku's are on sale, might be time to pick one up and avoid the frustration.
post #80 of 88 Old 12-15-2019, 11:49 PM

Thanks. The TV has great PQ for its price, but its Android TV is not up to snuff.

I have also bought a TCL 65R615 for my living room, and Roku seems much better than Android TV.

Maybe I’ll get a Roku stick for this 50H8F which will be used in my bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRobb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergga View Post

Re: 1) Have similar issue with Vudu's Android TV app. Some UHD movies will not play. This has happened over several updates. For full disclosure I'm sideloading Vudu on a Firestick 4K, as it's not available in the Amazon Appstore. Roku version seems to work fine. Since 4K Roku's are on sale, might be time to pick one up and avoid the frustration.
post #81 of 88 Old 12-16-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRobb View Post
Just want to update that I have solved Vudu's issue by updating the app. Had to go to Google Play Store -> My Apps -> Update All. Vudu was one of the apps that had updates.

For some reason, even though "Auto-Update" was checked, the apps did not automatically update.
post #82 of 88 Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this applies to all hisense models or just the H8F, but would like to note that apps like VLC/Kodi/Plex (I tested all three) do not support true 4k playback likely due to their using custom video playback code. When displaying 4k test patterns all those apps fail, indicating they are rendering at 1080p and the display is then upscaling to 4k. The pre-loaded media player app passes the tests and seems to display 4k content in its original resolution. Additionally, other apps that use the native video player like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. do seem to support 4k playback, but seeing as I cannot view test patterns on them it's hard to verify. I have tried changing the android tv resolution over adb, and while this works to force the whole system to render in 4k it results in terrible performance and the test patterns still fail in apps not using the native player.

An easy way to see this for yourself is to adjust the size settings in one of the above apps and view in the original resolution (most of them default to something like 'best fit', choose an option like 'original', 'center', etc.) and you'll see the apps are playing back in a 1080p window, as 4k content will seem zoomed in and 1080p content will fill the screen. Using the same option on the native video player causes 1080p content to display in a 1920x1080 box in the middle of the screen as you'd expect.

Last edited by awfulbliss; 01-24-2020 at 06:44 PM. Reason: More details
post #83 of 88 Old 01-29-2020, 06:52 AM

I will say the motion blurring on this TV is really bad. Anything with fast motion or gaming causes eye strain. The local dimming also suffers from a pretty noticeable lag time making it often better to just disable it completely or set it to "low". I would love to think that firmware might be able to improve the response time or dimming, but that's probably just wishful thinking. When it comes to bright colors without tons of motion, the picture is rather impressive for how cheap this TV is, but that doesn't describe a lot of content.
post #84 of 88 Old 02-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
HI you all

Please install AIDA64 thrue GooglePlay and tell us what is the SoC (CPU) you have inside this TV

Is it a Mediatek MT5598 ? A53 or A73 ? What GPU ? Mali G71 ?

Its intersting to know for people want to buy this TV ...

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!

Last edited by mikele59; 02-04-2020 at 08:03 AM.
post #85 of 88 Old 02-04-2020, 11:24 PM

Hey

Its interesting for you too to know which SoC you have inside your TV .. its so easy to install AIDA64 with GooglePlay and to tell us what is the CPU and GPU inside this TV ...

This will help people to decide to buy or not ...

Thanks
post #86 of 88 Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 AM

Hellooooo all !

Can someone tell us what is the SoC inside this TV ? you just have to install AIDA64 with Google Play Store and tell us what CPU/GPU and memory inside this TV.. This is easy and very interesting for you too and help other to buy or not this TV !!!

THANKS !
post #87 of 88 Old 02-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Hey Woooo its incredible nobody was kind enough to answer and give us the requested information about the SoC inside this TV with Aida64 that discourages me from buying it .. not because of the poor powered device itself but I don't want to be part owners of this device owners because excuse me but frankly I find it hard to believe that there are still people like you girls/guys, sorry you're as bad as your tv minimally so keep playing in your little corner in selfishness I don't greet you

Anyway for any one interested o buy this TV this is the spec :

MediaTek MT5886 SoC,
CPU: 4 cores ARM Cortex A53
GPU: ARM Mali-450MP GPU
1.5GB / 8 GB
Android 8.0 Oreo

Last edited by mikele59; 02-12-2020 at 01:04 PM.
post #88 of 88 Old 02-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Is anyone using an Amazon Firestick 4K with their H8F and does Youtube HDR work for you through it? Youtube HDR videos seem to be using the wrong color space and look washed out with reds looking orange etc. through the Firestick Youtube app. I don't have an issue using the built-in OS Youtube app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page