post #91 of 108 Old 04-17-2020, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by timoteo View Post
I just recently bought a 65" H8F and while the color reproduction and overall image quality is astounding, especially considering the price, I am horribly disappointed ... 1) Watching any movies with motion. It is like it is smearing and makes movement very hard to watch. I can not stand motion-smoothing (soap-opera effect) so that is out of the question. I have seen other posts where this is mentioned, but yet to see a real solution. And ...

2) Black moving "splotches" popping up here and there during scenes with dark and light areas, and similarly bright splotches in scenes that are mostly dark. Think this might be something referred to as "flashlighting" maybe? I *think* these may be happening with local dimming turned on, but need to experiment some more first. But most recommendations say to have it on HIGH.

Are my expectations way to high after using other technologies for decades? I am coming from owning and using projects since the early 2000's (AE8000u is my latest), as well as Plasma TV's (still in use). I've always been amazed at how well my 15 year-old plasma holds up to many modern LED TV's.

Thanks for any insight. I used the recommended setting on Rtings.com and experimented on my own, but it's been very disappointing thus far. BTW, I own a Samsung 43" (KU6300) cheapo model in the bedroom and it does not exhibit any of these maladies. Just don't understand why a much newer and supposedly better TV looks so horrible.
The response time isn't that good and causes more blurring according to Rtings. And Rtings on the local dimming: "Unfortunately, when the screen changes it can be quite slow to adjust, taking as long as 2 seconds to adjust to moving from our 50% slide to anything else."

So you might be expecting too much when it comes to motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 04-17-2020, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
The response time isn't that good and causes more blurring according to Rtings. And Rtings on the local dimming: "Unfortunately, when the screen changes it can be quite slow to adjust, taking as long as 2 seconds to adjust to moving from our 50% slide to anything else."

I thought so too, but was bothering me that a much older, lower-quality model LED TV did not have these issues. I did some more experimenting and I turned on Motion-Clearness. And, wow ... HUGE difference. It does dim the picture considerably, but I found it way to bright anyway since I am watching this in a completely dark environment. So, I actually think this is probably a more appropriate brightness level. The smearing is almost completely, if not completely, gone and the image is very film-like.

Not sure I quite understand what this is doing exactly, but it seems to work great. However, this was with Bluray sources. I believe any of the streaming based sources introduce a slight flicker. Not sure why if they are supposed to be 24p sources as well, but maybe it was on HDR TV material. Will have to check again next time I am up there.

post #93 of 108 Old 04-17-2020, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Quote:

I thought so too, but was bothering me that a much older, lower-quality model LED TV did not have these issues. I did some more experimenting and I turned on Motion-Clearness. And, wow ... HUGE difference. It does dim the picture considerably, but I found it way to bright anyway since I am watching this in a completely dark environment. So, I actually think this is probably a more appropriate brightness level. The smearing is almost completely, if not completely, gone and the image is very film-like.

Not sure I quite understand what this is doing exactly, but it seems to work great. However, this was with Bluray sources. I believe any of the streaming based sources introduce a slight flicker. Not sure why if they are supposed to be 24p sources as well, but maybe it was on HDR TV material. Will have to check again next time I am up there.
You enabled the H8F's Black Frame Insertion. Which drops the backlight flicker to 60Hz and inserts a black frame between frames to help motion look more clear. You can read more about BFI at Rtings if you want.
ES_Revenge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 108 Old 04-20-2020, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
You enabled the H8F's Black Frame Insertion. Which drops the backlight flicker to 60Hz and inserts a black frame between frames to help motion look more clear. You can read more about BFI at Rtings if you want.
Thanks, yeah I have read that definition a few times before, but would love to know what that actually means in real-world terms. I would think since it is dropping to 60hz that wouldn't really help 24p material, unless Blu-ray is outputting 24p at 60Hz?

post #95 of 108 Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Thanks, yeah I have read that definition a few times before, but would love to know what that actually means in real-world terms. I would think since it is dropping to 60hz that wouldn't really help 24p material, unless Blu-ray is outputting 24p at 60Hz?
It's basically fooling your eyes (well your brain, receiving the information from your eyes) so it doesn't notice the "sample and hold" drawing method of digital displays, by placing the black frame in between frames.

The "testufo" site explains this better (in terms of the eye/brain response) and even gives examples you can see yourself in action. For example, if you go to this test pattern watch how if you focus on the moving UFO the background looks different than if you look at the stationary one. You can also change the background pattern in the drop down box to see different backgrounds.
https://www.testufo.com/eyetracking#...lines1&speed=0

Last edited by ES_Revenge; 04-20-2020 at 10:45 AM.
post #96 of 108 Old 04-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Game Mode Question

Just purchased a 50" H8F. I noticed while in Game Mode (HDR OR SDR) the image gets very blurry. However, when I try and adjust the sharpness setting it makes no difference. Outside of game mode sharpness works without issue. Has anyone else seen this?
post #97 of 108 Old 04-24-2020, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Good day all. I just picked up this TV. Am I missing it or can it only out PCM, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital+ audio steams? When I select Dolby Digital+ I just get a bunch of noise.

Let me know thanks!
Paul
post #98 of 108 Old 04-24-2020, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudyincinci View Post
Just purchased a 50" H8F. I noticed while in Game Mode (HDR OR SDR) the image gets very blurry. However, when I try and adjust the sharpness setting it makes no difference. Outside of game mode sharpness works without issue. Has anyone else seen this?
Hmm lemme see if I can try this out this weekend and get back to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgyro View Post
Good day all. I just picked up this TV. Am I missing it or can it only out PCM, Dolby Digital, or Dolby Digital+ audio steams? When I select Dolby Digital+ I just get a bunch of noise.

Let me know thanks!
Paul
Are you using HDMI ARC? Because DD+ don't work over S/PDIF if that's what you're using.
post #99 of 108 Old 04-24-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Are you using HDMI ARC? Because DD+ don't work over S/PDIF if that's what you're using.
Yes, I'm using HDMI ARC. Bummer that we don't have a bit stream option I must say.
post #100 of 108 Old 04-27-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
Say did you have a chance to try this out?
post #101 of 108 Old 04-27-2020, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey sorry, didn't get a chance to. Will see if I can try tomorrow and get back to you.
post #102 of 108 Old 04-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went ahead and applied the most recent update to the TV and it still looks like the sharpness option is disabled in Game mode. Anyone else seeing this too?
post #103 of 108 Old 04-30-2020, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I got confused between you and the game-mode question guy. I actually don't have an AVR that is ARC capable (all mine are older) so I can't test this out. However, now that I recall, ARC (and not the newer eARC) actually isn't usually capable of DD+ as ARC is basically just "S/PDIF over HDMI". There are some TVs which can output DD+ over regular ARC in a somewhat non-standard way, but the problem then is that the AVR will have to support it as well, which yours may not. I'm not sure if the TV is capable or not but it sounds it is outputting something so it might be your AVR that can't accept it on ARC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudyincinci View Post
I went ahead and applied the most recent update to the TV and it still looks like the sharpness option is disabled in Game mode. Anyone else seeing this too?
Sorry about the delay, I don't actually have the TV setup anywhere at current time so I had to go and put it on a dresser and plug it in and everything. I just did that tonight and you are correct, the Sharpness function is ineffective/does nothing in either HDR Game or regular Game modes. I'm guessing that is by design but they should really grey out the option if it's not possible as changing it simply looks like you're changing something but it doesn't do anything at all to the picture.

Apparently there was supposed to be a firmware update rolled out in April for fixing some bugs in the last update (apparently there were ARC issues, and there is also an HDR game mode problem with flickering). I don't seem to have that problem on mine so perhaps I'm on an older fw; however, I'm not sure what the fw versions are or what the latest is either. When I try to update it just says I have the latest one but according to Hisense that's not necessarily true due to the way they roll out the updates--it's random and rolls out slowly rather than to all units at once.
post #104 of 108 Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I recently received a 50H8F as a warranty replacement for a 50H7C that had developed some very minor dark spots in the panel (thank goodness for the old 4yr warranty, I waited and made my claim at 3yrs 6months). It's a great upgrade overall and I like that it's on AndroidTV (which I use throughout the house, previously had an eMatic Jetstream on the H7C). My only PQ complaint so far is viewing angles do kinda suck... it's not a major issue, but from the side seating area or line-of-sight from the kitchen, colors are noticeably washed out.

That said, I am seeing some peculiar results from the SPDIF output to the older non-HDMI AVR. Netflix and Vudu both properly output discrete 5.1 when the digital output is set to Dolby Digital. Most other apps (Disney+, Google Play, Plex, etc) output what seems to be 2.0 within a 5.1 container with the center channel truncated to the front-right, even for streams that should be 5.1 capable. This shifts all dialogue to the right and prevents the AVR from applying PLII. Switching the output to PCM remedies this, allowing the AVR to apply PLII, but also obviously doesn't allow for DD5.1 from the apps where it is working. Unfortunately, my AVR is behind a decorative frame that makes it a bear to see what type of input stream it's receiving or what processing is being applied at any given moment... if this isn't a known issue or something someone else can recreate, I guess I'll pull down the frame and investigate further

Can anyone recreate/repeat this issue? Any known fixes? Thanks in advance!

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #105 of 108 Old 05-19-2020, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
That said, I am seeing some peculiar results from the SPDIF output to the older non-HDMI AVR. Netflix and Vudu both properly output discrete 5.1 when the digital output is set to Dolby Digital. Most other apps (Disney+, Google Play, Plex, etc) output what seems to be 2.0 within a 5.1 container with the center channel truncated to the front-right, even for streams that should be 5.1 capable. This shifts all dialogue to the right and prevents the AVR from applying PLII. Switching the output to PCM remedies this, allowing the AVR to apply PLII, but also obviously doesn't allow for DD5.1 from the apps where it is working. Unfortunately, my AVR is behind a decorative frame that makes it a bear to see what type of input stream it's receiving or what processing is being applied at any given moment... if this isn't a known issue or something someone else can recreate, I guess I'll pull down the frame and investigate further

Can anyone recreate/repeat this issue? Any known fixes? Thanks in advance!
I did some more digging and should clarify a few things. Netflix and Vudu are properly outputting discrete DD5.1 over SPDIF to the AVR. Disney+, Google Play Movies, Plex, etc are outputting 2.0 in a DD5.1 container (preventing PLII from engaging), even when 5.1 should be available. Everything that would normally output 2.0 is also doing so as 2.0 in a DD5.1 container, also preventing PLII from engaging.

The shift of dialog to the right speaker was a red herring, somehow the speaker levels had reverted to stock and re-running auto-calibration at least fixed that.

The above simply leads me to believe some apps that should be outputting 5.1 are not doing so and everything is re-muxed into a 5.1 container regardless of the channels present. So, likely a combination of problems with the apps (possibly related to DHCP or just app authoring) and the TV improperly re-muxing 2.0 into a 5.1 container.

Anyone else have any experience/thoughts? Similar experience with ARC with Dolby Digital output selected? Possibly fixed with DD+ selected (no clue if this display can output out-of-spec DD+ over ARC as some can)?

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #106 of 108 Old 05-22-2020, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My problem is the power stand by. It sometimes will not come back on or its lagging really bad but mostly just doesn't work to the point i have to pull the plug. I've had repair men come, and a new replacement so it must be software and i was given custom stuff loaded on a usb and it actually made the tv worse, so it's back to factory standards. I've got it checked to never go to sleep but it still does that dumb stuff. Regular old, hold power button then hit power to turn it off but i don't want to turn it off jus stand by. Has anyone found a fix, i Kno I'm not the only 1 here.
post #107 of 108 Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also with vizio 5.1 sound bar hdmi arc volume will constantly show itself and if u try hooking it up with optical, yeah it doesn't even see it, the repair guy even said that's weird. And if u hook up regular headphone jack eventually it will say volume is too loud and then u get no sound until you get up and pull the sound plug and plug it back in. Anyone else have problems with sound bar
post #108 of 108 Old 05-23-2020, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsmokealot View Post
My problem is the power stand by. It sometimes will not come back on or its lagging really bad but mostly just doesn't work to the point i have to pull the plug. I've had repair men come, and a new replacement so it must be software and i was given custom stuff loaded on a usb and it actually made the tv worse, so it's back to factory standards. I've got it checked to never go to sleep but it still does that dumb stuff. Regular old, hold power button then hit power to turn it off but i don't want to turn it off jus stand by. Has anyone found a fix, i Kno I'm not the only 1 here.
Both the H8F and H9F are slow slow slow. The Android OS is paired with a weak processor/low RAM and it just can't cope compared to nicer TVs. While I like Android, I don't think it's a good match for the hardware in these TVs. Updates are rare, too.

When you turn off the TV try holding down the power button on the remote for a few seconds and choose "Power off" or "restart" rather than just a quick press which sleeps the TV. The downside is this makes it do a full boot when you turn it back on that takes a lot longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page