22Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 06-04-2019, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Hisense H8F

I'm thinking about trying one these out this week.
The reviews so far have been pretty great for price to performance. The 50" variant has 32 dimming zones and 700nit peak brightness and uses a colored phosphor coating similar to TCL to achieve WCG.

On paper this seems like a killer set.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
The reviews so far have been pretty great for price to performance. The 50" variant has 32 dimming zones and 700nit peak brightness and uses a colored phosphor coating similar to TCL to achieve WCG.

The flossycarter review on YouTube makes its look great, I’m personally getting the H9F during the July 4th TV sales week all major retailers have. H9F has 132 Zones, and Quantum Dots and a Native 120Hz Panel.
For $699 or less.
kateyes likes this.
post #3 of 45 Old 06-04-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
The flossycarter review on YouTube makes its look great, I’m personally getting the H9F during the July 4th TV sales week all major retailers have. H9F has 132 Zones, and Quantum Dots and a Native 120Hz Panel.

For $699 or less.
I'm limited to 50" in my viewing area, so that is why I'm leaning toward the H8F.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
The flossycarter review on YouTube makes its look great.
For $699 or less.
I know I shouldn't draw any real conclusions from a home-made screen video taken in uncontrolled conditions, but during the part of this review when the H8F is showing a scene of water and clear blue sky, I think I can see some dirty screen effect in the sky when the camera pans. For me, any kind of DSE just kills the immersion for whatever I'm watching.
Diocletian likes this.
post #5 of 45 Old 06-04-2019, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just got a 50" H8F that arrived yesterday (technically since it's 2am here, arrived in the afternoon) . Still testing it out, don't have any concrete impressions of it yet. I'll be trying out more content tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
I know I shouldn't draw any real conclusions from a home-made screen video taken in uncontrolled conditions, but during the part of this review when the H8F is showing a scene of water and clear blue sky, I think I can see some dirty screen effect in the sky when the camera pans. For me, any kind of DSE just kills the immersion for whatever I'm watching.
My 50" H8F has very little dirty screen effect. It's more then acceptable to me for the price.
post #6 of 45 Old 06-06-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBristol View Post
I just got a 50" H8F that arrived yesterday (technically since it's 2am here, arrived in the afternoon) . Still testing it out, don't have any concrete impressions of it yet. I'll be trying out more content tomorrow.

My 50" H8F has very little dirty screen effect. It's more then acceptable to me for the price.
Lemme know your thoughts on motion performance. I am not concerned with the 60hz panel, since it is mainly a gaming set.

post #7 of 45 Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 PM

I have been testing more content today. As for motion performance, it's decent so far with the content I have tested. But you can clearly tell it's pixel response time is not as good as say Vizio. I think some of the motion blur can be attributed to not just the pixel response but also lower PWM. I only tested a few minutes of Sea of Thieves so can't gauge how good it's motion is for 30 fps content. I mainly tested The Master Chief Collection and Resident Evil 2 Remake which both looked good in motion (and both being 60 fps titles). I would not recommend enabling BFI, it looked horrendous. Local Dimming can be hit or miss with Medium and High. Setting it to Low seems to be best. It isn't as bad as the Vizio E-Series. It just has issues when going from bright to dim (or black), it tends to lag behind a little bit. Setting Local Dimming to Low alleviates a lot of that, but dark scenes won't get as dark as Medium or High. But at the same time Medium and High seems to crush near black detail that the Low setting tends to preserve. The 50" H8F definitely only has 32 zones. I was hoping for at least 48 zones since the 55" has 56 zones.

When playing HDR Games on Xbox One X, I noticed that the TV could resolve more specular highlight detail by dropping contrast from 50 to 42 (similar to the Vizio E-Series). It cannot resolve any more detail below 42.

The Xbox One X also supports Dolby Vision with this TV even though it isn't listed as being officially supported. The one thing I noticed is that Dolby Vision doesn't appear to track the EOTF correctly for dim shades (similar to the Vizio E-Series). Watching the scene in Altered Carbon (Season 1 Episode 1) when Takeshi Kovacs throws the notebook into the water, you cannot see the bottom of the water when the notebook is floating down. With the Vizio E-Series you could use the Gamma setting to bring out that detail by raising the EOTF. But on the H8F you don't have any options to raise the EOTF. Oddly enough, switching from Dolby Vision Bright to Dolby Vision Dark fixes that issue. But you are locked out of all settings and it drops the backlight significantly (probably down to 50 or so) and disables Local Dimming.

When trying out Sea of Thieves I noticed a lot of color banding/posterization (not talking about vertical banding or DSE). It was the first time I noticed this when using this TV. I know Sea of Thieves has issues with color banding/posterization, but I never seen it this bad. I am wondering if it's a setting I have enabled on the Xbox One X. I had YCC 4:2:2 enabled with 12-bit color. Tomorrow I will try disabling YCC 4:2:2 and enable 10-bit color and then do a cold reboot of the console and test Sea of Thieves again. I did notice some posterization when testing Logan and The Martian in 4K, but was no where near what it was in Sea of Thieves.

And again, with motion performance it really is down to the person and how they perceive motion. If you are used to a bit faster motion performance then it may take some getting used to. I am still getting used to the motion for 24p movies after a few days. I do wish the Local Dimming was a bit better and that the 50" had more zones. I hope a firmware update can fix the local dimming zones lagging a second or two behind a switch from bright to dark. It would at least make the Medium setting more tolerable. As it stands, the Low setting is the best one on the 50".

Edit: I wrote about Local Dimming and forgot to mention blooming. There is quite a bit blooming around things like HUD elements in a dark environment (as a result of only have 32 zones). I also noticed with HDR that zones will bleed light into other zones if there is a bright UI element in one and complete black in the zone above that.
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.

Last edited by JessieBristol; 06-06-2019 at 09:53 PM.
post #8 of 45 Old 06-07-2019, 04:10 PM

I figured out what the issue was with the color banding. I was getting nervous and may have even opted to return the TV because even when checking out Gears of War 4 there was some nasty color banding/posterization and the issue stems from the Game Picture Mode (which reduces input lag). Switching to Theater Day completely resolved the color banding/posterization and also seems to provide better motion for 30 fps titles. You only sacrifice a little input lag, playing Gears of War 4 in 60 fps was very responsive outside of Game Mode. In Game Mode the input lag is around 15ms (according to one review), outside of Game Mode feels like maybe 30ms or less (on par with the Hisense R6E outside of Game Mode).

Edit: Also this TV can tonemap HDR10 content from an Xbox One X at up to 3700 nits with Contrast set to 42.

Last edited by JessieBristol; 06-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #9 of 45 Old 06-07-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I figured out what the issue was with the color banding. I was getting nervous and may have even opted to return the TV because even when checking out Gears of War 4 there was some nasty color banding/posterization and the issue stems from the Game Picture Mode (which reduces input lag). Switching to Theater Day completely resolved the color banding/posterization and also seems to provide better motion for 30 fps titles. You only sacrifice a little input lag, playing Gears of War 4 in 60 fps was very responsive outside of Game Mode. In Game Mode the input lag is around 15ms (according to one review), outside of Game Mode feels like maybe 30ms or less (on par with the Hisense R6E outside of Game Mode).

Edit: Also this TV can tonemap HDR10 content from an Xbox One X at up to 3700 nits with Contrast set to 42.
Thanks for the input. That seems like a fair trade off for 15-20ms of input lag for that big of a picture improvement.

I'll be using a PS4 Pro, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does on this set.

Other than some blur and judder on certain content, have you noticed any overdrive trailing or smearing in the darker area of Gears?

post #10 of 45 Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. That seems like a fair trade off for 15-20ms of input lag for that big of a picture improvement.

I'll be using a PS4 Pro, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it does on this set.

Other than some blur and judder on certain content, have you noticed any overdrive trailing or smearing in the darker area of Gears?

Nope, not yet. The pixel response time seems to be high enough to avoid any kind of dark trails (overdrive trailing) and I didn't notice any excessive smearing when testing 'The Prodigal Son' level in Gears 4.
post #11 of 45 Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nope, not yet. The pixel response time seems to be high enough to avoid any kind of dark trails (overdrive trailing) and I didn't notice any excessive smearing when testing 'The Prodigal Son' level in Gears 4.
Yeah that is a good test. I used too use Deadspace (1) as a test for trailing/smearing.
I began to refer to it as the widow maker.

post #12 of 45 Old 06-08-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I picked up the 50H8F today. It looks like it has greasy finger prints all over the edge of the display.
It appears that at the factory it may have leaned against something that had buffed a square out of an area on the screen and the DSE is the worst I have ever seen.

I tested it out and motion was good, but in some of the interior areas on Days Gone it crushes shadow detail and causing major smearing.

post #13 of 45 Old 06-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I picked up the 50H8F today. It looks like it has greasy finger prints all over the edge of the display.
It appears that at the factory it may have leaned against something that had buffed a square out of an area on the screen and the DSE is the worst I have ever seen.

I tested it out and motion was good, but in some of the interior areas on Days Gone it crushes shadow detail and causing major smearing.

Could be a bad panel but still stuff like this makes me nervous for H9F.
post #14 of 45 Old 06-08-2019, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
Could be a bad panel but still stuff like this makes me nervous for H9F.
Gonna try and exchange it tomorrow. Gonna fiddle with settings see if I can get the motion a little better for gaming.

post #15 of 45 Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM

Yeah, local dimming with anything above Low causes dark areas to become crushed. Luckily my panel didn't have any smudges on marks on the screen. It does have some DSE, but the worst i had seen was on the TCL 43S405 I had last year. Looked like tiny finger print smudges all over the screen. I haven't noticed any excessive smearing on my panel when testing Gears 4 and Resident Evil 2 Remake, I'll try and do some more testing in the next day or two.
post #16 of 45 Old 06-08-2019, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, local dimming with anything above Low causes dark areas to become crushed. Luckily my panel didn't have any smudges on marks on the screen. It does have some DSE, but the worst i had seen was on the TCL 43S405 I had last year. Looked like tiny finger print smudges all over the screen. I haven't noticed any excessive smearing on my panel when testing Gears 4 and Resident Evil 2 Remake, I'll try and do some more testing in the next day or two.
I'll try low dimming. It is set on medium or high at the moment.
If it helps with the crush, than I'll exchange it out in the morning.

post #17 of 45 Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I'll try low dimming. It is set on medium or high at the moment.
If it helps with the crush, than I'll exchange it out in the morning.

Let us know how the new tv is aka panel. thanks.
post #18 of 45 Old 06-09-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been tinkering with the set overnight, I can't seem to dial in the sharpness.
Im usually a set to zero on most sets since most of my content is native resolution.

In the case of the H8F at zero it seem like someone wiped vaseline on the screen. It feels like there is some non-defeatable noise reduction happening causing smearing or trailing on white highlights as well.

I'm hoping this is a defective panel and exchange will fix it, but it seems like a limitation based on quality.

post #19 of 45 Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

post #20 of 45 Old 06-24-2019, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any owners with thoughts on this television ?
post #21 of 45 Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER View Post
Any owners with thoughts on this television ?
Film based content was quite good all around.
As a gamer the intended game mode seemed to diminish performance.

Out of the box (game mode) sharpness was set at 5 (or 8) I believe, but this introduced artifacts and shimmering on fine detail
Attempting to lower sharpness would than dull the image considerably.
Game mode also introduced posturization and pretty severe color gradation (banding).

I switched to Theater mode (I believe) and this remedied both the over sharpness and color banding, but in turn bumped up the input lag a little.
It wasn't unbearable, but it was noticeable.

Uniformity issues may be an issue for gamers and hockey fans, but that is a unit by unit basis. With any display at this price point you can never go in expecting a perfect display from top to bottom.
Heck even top end Sony and Samsung displays have quality issues

The H8F will be the perfect display for someone, it just wasn't for me sadly.

ETERNIA FOREVER likes this.
post #22 of 45 Old 06-24-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Film based content was quite good all around.
As a gamer the intended game mode seemed to diminish performance.

Out of the box (game mode) sharpness was set at 5 (or 8) I believe, but this introduced artifacts and shimmering on fine detail
Attempting to lower sharpness would than dull the image considerably.
Game mode also introduced posturization and pretty severe color gradation (banding).

I switched to Theater mode (I believe) and this remedied both the over sharpness and color banding, but in turn bumped up the input lag a little.
It wasn't unbearable, but it was noticeable.

Uniformity issues may be an issue for gamers and hockey fans, but that is a unit by unit basis. With any display at this price point you can never go in expecting a perfect display from top to bottom.
Heck even top end Sony and Samsung displays have quality issues

The H8F will be the perfect display for someone, it just wasn't for me sadly.

Thank you good sir for your feedback and information, I am looking for a television for the bedroom for gaming on ps4 pro and movies as well as sports, and for that i want a television 50 inch max size, so my choices for this are the samsung q70, the h8f, or the vizio m series quantum , however it's lame they downgraded the 50 inch version to only be available with 16 zones and 400 nits, as opposed to the 90 zones with 600 nits ........ sigh !!..

Any thoughts whether or not you received defective television, and did you ever get the 2019 vizio m series yet, any thoughts on the samsung q70, the cost is much higher however i am sure a sale or two are coming ?

Last edited by ETERNIA FOREVER; 06-24-2019 at 10:10 AM.
post #23 of 45 Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER View Post
Thank you good sir for your feedback and information, I am looking for a television for the bedroom for gaming on ps4 pro and movies as well as sports, and for that i want a television 50 inch max size, so my choices for this are the samsung q70, the h8f, or the vizio m series quantum , however it's lame they downgraded the 50 inch version to only be available with 16 zones and 400 nits, as opposed to the 90 zones with 600 nits ........ sigh !!..

Any thoughts whether or not you received defective television, and did you ever get the 2019 vizio m series yet, any thoughts on the samsung q70, the cost is much higher however i am sure a sale or two are coming ?
With the cut specs of the M50 it was off my list.

The H8F is a great all around and with the specs is an unbeatable deal. Possible uniformity issues and some minor motion issues are the only gripe I have with the Hisense.

The Samsung would be a great set as well, but the 49Q70R is a 60hz panel and lacks freesync/vrr support. Which the Pro doesn't support, but likely will next-gen.

If I had the budget I would do the Q70R, but if you are budget minded than the Vizio M will likely offer better processing, but take a hit with PQ vs the H8F.

ETERNIA FOREVER likes this.
post #24 of 45 Old 06-30-2019, 01:26 PM

Will some more owners kindly provide there thoughts regarding this television, primarily how they like it for sports, gaming and movies ? Thanks........
post #25 of 45 Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
anyone know which swivel wall mount works with this tv?
post #26 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Rtings review is up
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8f

Been interested in the H8F for a secondary TV personally, and as a interesting budget option for friends/family.
theboomr and Tinysota like this.

Last edited by SpHeRe31459; 07-09-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #27 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[quote=SpHeRe31459;58275130]Rtings review is up

Interesting review from rtings. As a former owner of the H8C, I was excited to see rtings performance results and compare to my TCL 6 series. Looks like the H8F beats the 6 Series in contrast, local dimming, black uniformity, and color gamut. Wow!
post #28 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinysota View Post
Rtings review is up

Interesting review from rtings. As a former owner of the H8C, I was excited to see rtings performance results and compare to my TCL 6 series. Looks like the H8F beats the 6 Series in contrast, local dimming, black uniformity, and color gamut. Wow!
Well not quite. It got the same score for local dimming, not better, but that's still basically a win. Everything else though, yeah! Pretty exciting to see such well-priced competition to TCL. It's really nice that it has the composite inputs actually built in, not through an adapter like the TCL has, and H8F also has a USB3 port!

I'm really kind of shocked that H8F can't do HDR in YouTube though...it's running Android TV, how is it possible that YouTube on Android TV doesn't support HDR?

I'm very excited for the H9F now...hopefully it actually lives up to Hisense's brightness claims a bit more than the H8F did.
post #29 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Well not quite. It got the same score for local dimming, not better, but that's still basically a win. Everything else though, yeah! Pretty exciting to see such well-priced competition to TCL. It's really nice that it has the composite inputs actually built in, not through an adapter like the TCL has, and H8F also has a USB3 port!

I'm really kind of shocked that H8F can't do HDR in YouTube though...it's running Android TV, how is it possible that YouTube on Android TV doesn't support HDR?

I'm very excited for the H9F now...hopefully it actually lives up to Hisense's brightness claims a bit more than the H8F did.
Ah yes, they are even for local dimming, my mistake. And I remember the H8C couldn't do HDR from youtube either, seems to be a recurring problem. I'll be checking in on the H9F for sure

I wonder if Hisense will be taking away from TCL's market share with the H8F and H9F. Anyway, I'm loving the competition in this "budget-premium"/"bang-for-your-buck" market

Viewsonic PJD7828HDL, 105" DIY AT Screen, TCL 65R615
Samsung UBD-K8500
Sony STR-DH550, Sony SS-CS5, Sony SS-CS8, Sony SA-W2500
post #30 of 45 Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 646
So nobody cares about banding? Banding, IMO, is one of the most annoying characteristics of cheap LCDs. Quoting Rtings:

"There is noticeable banding in all shades, but it is most noticeable in shades of gray. Unfortunately, there is no smooth gradation feature on this TV."

Plus there's noticeable vignetting and dirty screen effect, very slow response time, poorly functioning optional motion interpolation, and bad viewing angles even for a VA panel. Regarding the motion interpolation, Rtings wrote:

"the motion interpolation feature doesn't work very well, as it constantly stopped interpolating after a few seconds, resulting in jumpy motion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page