Q70R or Q9FN (or Q80R) for a gamer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ice Cold
  • 1 Post By Nillaz

post #1 of 10 Old 06-06-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Q70R or Q9FN (or Q80R) for a gamer?

Hi all,

I'm currently the owner of a 55 inch KS7000 (UK model), which I've been very happy with and mostly used for console and PC gaming (Nvidia). I'm looking to upgrade and initially chose the Q70R as a modern equivalent of my current TV. I like it for the fact it's not edge lit and the low input lag for gaming, even though there aren't any really significant new features over the KS7000.

My question is that, for only £200 more, I could get a Q9FN. I know this was the flagship last year that everyone raved about but I can't find any reviews comparing it to a more modestly priced 2019. It looks like it has better brightness and colour range and the connection box, at the expensive of brightness and slightly higher input lag.

For a final option, the Q80R is more expensive than both, but it's got the 2019 features (Airplay 2, etc.) with peak brightness closer to the Q9FN and no issue with reflections.

I'd be grateful for your advice. Please bear in mind that I'll mostly use it for gaming. Although, sadly, variable refresh rate (VRR) doesn't seem to matter as I use Nvidia and PS4 rather than AMD or Xbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, the second paragraph should read "at the expense of"!
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Noble View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently the owner of a 55 inch KS7000 (UK model), which I've been very happy with and mostly used for console and PC gaming (Nvidia). I'm looking to upgrade and initially chose the Q70R as a modern equivalent of my current TV. I like it for the fact it's not edge lit and the low input lag for gaming, even though there aren't any really significant new features over the KS7000.

My question is that, for only £200 more, I could get a Q9FN. I know this was the flagship last year that everyone raved about but I can't find any reviews comparing it to a more modestly priced 2019. It looks like it has better brightness and colour range and the connection box, at the expensive of brightness and slightly higher input lag.

For a final option, the Q80R is more expensive than both, but it's got the 2019 features (Airplay 2, etc.) with peak brightness closer to the Q9FN and no issue with reflections.

I'd be grateful for your advice. Please bear in mind that I'll mostly use it for gaming. Although, sadly, variable refresh rate (VRR) doesn't seem to matter as I use Nvidia and PS4 rather than AMD or Xbox.

I’m a Gamer as well and I won’t buy anything serious until HDMI 2.1 and FreeSync 2 are standard on Samsung TVs next year. Why ? Because FreeSync 2 allows for HDR in real time with No input lag penalty. And FreeSync works over HDMI where as GSYNC does Not Work Over HDMI.

All I’m buying is a low tier Hisense H9F 55” cuz it’s $699 has Quantum Dots and 132 Dimming Zones, which is Ok for a
Desktop streaming PC, old Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch and regular TV.

Next year. Is the year to buy for Gamers.
Bahn Yuki likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 290
My vote is for either the Q9 or Q80, assuming that you can verify performance on the Q9 prior to purchase. Otherwise scratch the Q9 off your list...too much reported drama with desaturated colors and/or local dimming issues in the smaller sizes (in it's largest size it's spectacular). If you have to choose between the Q70 and the Q80 the Q80 is clearly the better display, but as you know it's also more expensive....so what's more important to you, saving some cash or getting superior performance?

I'm kind of splitting hairs here though. As a practical matter all of your options are excellent gaming displays. Most people would be overjoyed with any of them.
Cam1977 likes this.

82Q90R / 75Q9FN / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hi both,

Thank you for your advice.

@Ice Cold, I think you're right that next year, with hdmi 2.1 we'll see some big improvements. However, it seems that Samsung are already including several 2.1 features in their 2019 displays, like switching to game mode automatically and some VRR features. I connect my console to my TV more often than my PC, so freesync 2 doesn't really matter until I own a PS5 anyway, which is likely to be a couple of years away. (Unless Nvidia start supporting adaptive sync over HDMI on their cards). My guess is there will be gaming features missing from the 2020 range as well, as we'll see a more gradual improvement than a huge step change between 2019 and 2020.

@Nillaz, thank you for highlighting the issues with the Q9FN. I wasn't aware of them and it's probably more likely I'll get a set with those issues if I'm buying a 55" TV at the end of life that a discerning purchaser has sent back for some reason.

Summary: Right now, with the fact that a lot of gaming features are in-bound over the next couple of years, I'd prefer to not spend so much and upgrade more frequently. I was looking at the Q60R, but I'm not convinced it's better than the KS7000 it would be replacing! In fact, I'm not convinced even the Q70R is much better than the KS7000! What do you think? Rtings only lists the KS8000 so it's hard to tell.

Thanks again,

Matt
post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am a gamer also, but I just couldn't justify the price difference between the Q70 and Q80 (almost $30/m for 3 years). I just pulled the plug and got the 82" Q70, so I dont have any first hand knowledge of how the set performs yet it is being delivered next Friday. But for where I am financially this set made the most sense at the moment.

I did the Samsung trade up program via their website, so my thought process was get the mid level set now @ $87/m vs the Q80 @ $120/m and in two years get their top-o-line model and move this one to another room in the house.

Also, by then the next gen consoles will either be out or coming out and the TV's should match the needed requirements for them.

Hope this helps!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes the Q70R seems to be inhabiting that sweet spot when it comes to price vs performance. But I'm not convinced it's leagues above my current set, which was great value when I got it.

I think I've decided to wait a year at least, and instead of giving my KS7000 to my parents, I'll buy them a budget set like the Philips 6753.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks. Yes the Q70R seems to be inhabiting that sweet spot when it comes to price vs performance. But I'm not convinced it's leagues above my current set, which was great value when I got it.

I think I've decided to wait a year at least, and instead of giving my KS7000 to my parents, I'll buy them a budget set like the Philips 6753.
Probably a good move the KS7000 had a good peak brightness. Possibly upscaling tech may make a difference with a newer model.

Even with the new consoles just announced we don’t have a lot info around hdmi 2.1 support although if project Sacrlett is 8K you would think right.

Also not convinced 2.1 will be widely available on all TVs either. Most now support allm, some forms of VRR, etc. Think 2.1 will be the way the vendors differentiate from high end models and low end models.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Send a message via AIM to Bahn Yuki Send a message via MSN to Bahn Yuki Send a message via Yahoo to Bahn Yuki
I wouldn't buy anything until hdmi 2.1/vrr gets straightened out. There's no rush as screens get better/cheaper with age. Right now I'm using different screens for my gaming setups and they will hold me over until the dust clears and we get screens that actually are an all in one solution

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

JVC RS400, Denon X6300H, Klipsch RP-280F x 2, RP-450C, RB-51 II x 2, RS-42 II x 2, RB-41 II x 2, R-150M in 7.1.4, 150" Silver Ticket
LG 65C7, Denon X4300H, Klipsch RF-26 x 2, RC-52 II, Onkyo speakers in 5.1.4 setup
TCL 55P605, Klipsch 2.1 Certified THX speakers
Sony 34XBR960 x 2
post #10 of 10 Old 06-13-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Hi all,

One get an LG SM9000 for a much better price and it has 4 full legit HDMI 2.1 Port with VRR, [email protected]

Or if you wants to spend much much money get a Q90R word is a firmware update will give it full HDMI 2.1 capabilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page