2019 Vizio P series G1 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 285 Old 06-18-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames19 View Post
Is this the shill YouTuber that people were posting videos of in another thread on this forum? Or is his videos legit?
That is him. Bear in mind that in his other videos, he was running brightness around 38 (so DEFINITELY crushing black) and contrast over 60 (so DEFINITELY clipping white) with gamma at 2.4 and backlight MAXED OUT. Basically, he's making it so the FALD algorithm couldn't possibly work correctly. When he was called out on it, he went nuts and started screaming about how he's a professional and no one knows better than him. Don't listen to him. He can't even answer basic questions about calibration that any enthusiast on this forum knows. He's just a former Best Buy calibrator with an i1Display Pro that he doesn't seem to know how to use.
WRXpilot likes this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 285 Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This isn’t a perfect example. This is regular broadcast TV. All my settings are out of the box except for sharpness at 0 and picture mode on calibrated. Look at the text on bottom right. I don’t see any blooming. That’s not to say in certain extreme situations it may not briefly be there, but I don’t regularly see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D222280C-3D68-472F-BB6A-0075D1CD7A65_1560902432430.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2581774  
Jeremy Anderson likes this.
post #33 of 285 Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So is this the 2019 replacement for the P or the PQ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 285 Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
2019 Vizio P series G1 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoffman000 View Post
This isn’t a perfect example. This is regular broadcast TV. All my settings are out of the box except for sharpness at 0 and picture mode on calibrated. Look at the text on bottom right. I don’t see any blooming. That’s not to say in certain extreme situations it may not briefly be there, but I don’t regularly see it.

That picture looks great.

My brother bought the Vizio 558-G1 and hasn’t noticed any blooming while playing Xbox One X. And when I went over to check it out and watch Netflix I didn’t notice any blooming and the room was pitch black. The picture on it was great and that was with uncalibrated settings. We used the main settings that CNET posted. We didn’t mess with the color settings at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 285 Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

I’m continuing to have some frustrating HDMI issues. If I’m outputting from cable->AVR and then AVR->TV through the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV, I can’t get a video signal. It’s really frustrating. I’ve tried different cables, I’ve rebooted multiple times, but I just can’t get a video signal.

My best option is to use a different HDMI input on the TV to get a signal straight from the cable box, then I’m using the ARC inputs/output on both the Vizio and the Denon to send the sound from the TV back to the AVR (the cable box does not have a separate audio output).

If I go from cable box->AVR->TV through one of the TVs other HDMI inputs, it works fine. There is something in the ARC HDMI 1 input that is causing me problems.
post #36 of 285 Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
I’m continuing to have some frustrating HDMI issues. If I’m outputting from cable->AVR and then AVR->TV through the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV, I can’t get a video signal. It’s really frustrating. I’ve tried different cables, I’ve rebooted multiple times, but I just can’t get a video signal.

My best option is to use a different HDMI input on the TV to get a signal straight from the cable box, then I’m using the ARC inputs/output on both the Vizio and the Denon to send the sound from the TV back to the AVR (the cable box does not have a separate audio output).

If I go from cable box->AVR->TV through one of the TVs other HDMI inputs, it works fine. There is something in the ARC HDMI 1 input that is causing me problems.
Do you have CEC enabled in both the TV and AVR?
post #37 of 285 Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, ARC won’t work without it enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
I’️m continuing to have some frustrating HDMI issues. If I’️m outputting from cable->AVR and then AVR->TV through the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV, I can’️t get a video signal. It’️s really frustrating. I’️ve tried different cables, I’️ve rebooted multiple times, but I just can’️t get a video signal.

My best option is to use a different HDMI input on the TV to get a signal straight from the cable box, then I’️m using the ARC inputs/output on both the Vizio and the Denon to send the sound from the TV back to the AVR (the cable box does not have a separate audio output).

Do you have CEC enabled in both the TV and AVR?
post #38 of 285 Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:

What cables are you using? are they HDMI Premium Certified?
I had Similar issues when I upgraded to P75-F1...
I swapped all my cable with MonoPrice Premium Certified cable...solved all my Video cutouts...

looking to upgrade again with the P759-G1 sometime next month..
post #39 of 285 Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, using only the certified cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
Quote:
I’️m continuing to have some frustrating HDMI issues. If I’️m outputting from cable->AVR and then AVR->TV through the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV, I can’️t get a video signal. It’️s really frustrating. I’️ve tried different cables, I’️ve rebooted multiple times, but I just can’️t get a video signal.

My best option is to use a different HDMI input on the TV to get a signal straight from the cable box, then I’️m using the ARC inputs/output on both the Vizio and the Denon to send the sound from the TV back to the AVR (the cable box does not have a separate audio output).

What cables are you using? are they HDMI Premium Certified?
I had Similar issues when I upgraded to P75-F1...
I swapped all my cable with MonoPrice Premium Certified cable...solved all my Video cutouts...

looking to upgrade again with the P759-G1 sometime next month.. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
post #40 of 285 Old 06-29-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Greetings AVS Forum Jedi Masters. I recently picked up the mentioned vizio p659-g1 quantum 65". I have been pleased with the black levels this set is able to achieve. The colors are also quite impressive. One issue i've noticed with my panel, is that on scenes featuring light colored solid backgrounds (i.e. a light blue wall) I am noticing some dark spots in a grid like sort of a square. I ran several dirty screen effect videos on youtube and the dark circle spots are now sparking my OCD. Did I get a bad panel? It's not noticeable on all content, mainly the aforementioned light/bright scenes (i.e. in the original toy story during the opening in Andy's Room with the light blue colored wallpaper)

Help me AVS wizards, you're my only hope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190629_233138.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	2585766  
post #41 of 285 Old 06-30-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

I’ll take a look later today. The panel has a built in white test that I can run. Do you see it using that test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Izzo View Post
Greetings AVS Forum Jedi Masters. I recently picked up the mentioned vizio p659-g1 quantum 65". I have been pleased with the black levels this set is able to achieve. The colors are also quite impressive. One issue i've noticed with my panel, is that on scenes featuring light colored solid backgrounds (i.e. a light blue wall) I am noticing some dark spots in a grid like sort of a square. I ran several dirty screen effect videos on youtube and the dark circle spots are now sparking my OCD. Did I get a bad panel? It's not noticeable on all content, mainly the aforementioned light/bright scenes (i.e. in the original toy story during the opening in Andy's Room with the light blue colored wallpaper)

Help me AVS wizards, you're my only hope.
post #42 of 285 Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I’ll take a look later today. The panel has a built in white test that I can run. Do you see it using that test?
No, I had just noticed it on several scenes with light backgrounds, and also the blu-ray loading screen on xbox one x (lightish blue background).

I had just returned a TCL 6 Series that had a dead pixel. This was it's replacement. I waited almost 4 weeks to get this as FedEx had originally lost my first returned set.

Do I just suck it up and live with this? Thinking of running this by Vizio. The dots are faint, but noticeable in said conditions. Brownish almost like the waitress put out 6 faint cigarettes in my blue sky.
post #43 of 285 Old 07-04-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey All,
Happy 4th! I got a new P659 Quantum delivered yesterday. Overall I'm happy with the picture quality (blacks are outstanding). Sadly, I discovered my panel has some DSE/banding. It seems to be most noticeable when viewed slightly off-angle. Also it can be seen mildly while playing games, not so much during regular content.
I'm debating having it exchanged for a different panel. I'm not sure what is deemed an "acceptable" amount of DSE since I understand this is inherent to LCD technology. However, as this is a premium panel from Vizio I had higher expectations. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190704_005359.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	2587448   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_004935.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	2587450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_004755.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	2587452   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_005346.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	2587454  
post #44 of 285 Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

I think I noted in my original post that I saw the same thing. It pretty much never shows up in regular viewing and one of my regular seating positions is off-angle (although not as much as in one of your pics). I’ve been very happy with it aside from a weird compatibility issue with my Xfinity 4K cable box. I’ve only noticed vertical banding and not the checker box type that someone else posted about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronarchy View Post
Hey All,
Happy 4th! I got a new P659 Quantum delivered yesterday. Overall I'm happy with the picture quality (blacks are outstanding). Sadly, I discovered my panel has some DSE/banding. It seems to be most noticeable when viewed slightly off-angle. Also it can be seen mildly while playing games, not so much during regular content.
I'm debating having it exchanged for a different panel. I'm not sure what is deemed an "acceptable" amount of DSE since I understand this is inherent to LCD technology. However, as this is a premium panel from Vizio I had higher expectations. What do you guys think?
post #45 of 285 Old 07-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I think I noted in my original post that I saw the same thing. It pretty much never shows up in regular viewing and one of my regular seating positions is off-angle (although not as much as in one of your pics). I’ve been very happy with it aside from a weird compatibility issue with my Xfinity 4K cable box. I’ve only noticed vertical banding and not the checker box type that someone else posted about.
I ended up exchanging it with a new one. I haven't had a chance to really evaluate it for DSE yet... I will check tonight if it's improved or worse than the original panel.
UPDATE: New set still has DSE, but not quite as bad as previous one. I'm going to discuss with Vizio. I don't want to keep exchanging if every single one will have this.

Last edited by aaronarchy; 07-10-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #46 of 285 Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 109
bit the bullet..

selling last years P75-F1..

my new P759-G1.. don't arrive til next week..

hopefully no issues....
post #47 of 285 Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM

P759-G1 - Xbox One X Issues

Hey guys. Wondering if anybody has had issues with their Xbox One X and black screen flicker. It's been driving me crazy ever since I got my P759-G1. What happens is any setting except 8-bit color output from my One X results in a black screen most of the time. Every now and then the image will pop in, but usually only for a second. If I turn UHD Color off everything is fine, but then I'm not getting the full capabilities of my Xbox. I've been through every setting I can think of and I can't figure this out. I've tried multiple factory resets on the TV and fully power cycling my Xbox. It's not localized to a particular HDMI port either (I know HDMI 5 doesn't support 4K HDR). The weird thing I found though was that if I have my PC hooked up on a separate HDMI port and outputting a video signal to the TV my Xbox works PERFECTLY on the other HDMI port (full 12-bit, everything enabled). I discovered it by accident while I was waiting for a game to install and thought I'd boot up the Xbox just for kicks while I was waiting. As soon as I pull the HDMI cable or my PC goes to sleep though it's back to the black screen issues. I've read about this black screen flicker on the Xbox on other TVs and have been through the Xbox troubleshooting steps to no avail. I'm convinced this is some kind of issue with the TV, but it's baffling that somehow a signal being outputted to a separate HDMI port would affect the video from another HDMI input. If anyone has any ideas I would love to be able to play my Xbox without also having to power my PC on.
post #48 of 285 Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha013 View Post
Hey guys. Wondering if anybody has had issues with their Xbox One X and black screen flicker. It's been driving me crazy ever since I got my P759-G1. What happens is any setting except 8-bit color output from my One X results in a black screen most of the time. Every now and then the image will pop in, but usually only for a second. If I turn UHD Color off everything is fine, but then I'm not getting the full capabilities of my Xbox. I've been through every setting I can think of and I can't figure this out. I've tried multiple factory resets on the TV and fully power cycling my Xbox. It's not localized to a particular HDMI port either (I know HDMI 5 doesn't support 4K HDR). The weird thing I found though was that if I have my PC hooked up on a separate HDMI port and outputting a video signal to the TV my Xbox works PERFECTLY on the other HDMI port (full 12-bit, everything enabled). I discovered it by accident while I was waiting for a game to install and thought I'd boot up the Xbox just for kicks while I was waiting. As soon as I pull the HDMI cable or my PC goes to sleep though it's back to the black screen issues. I've read about this black screen flicker on the Xbox on other TVs and have been through the Xbox troubleshooting steps to no avail. I'm convinced this is some kind of issue with the TV, but it's baffling that somehow a signal being outputted to a separate HDMI port would affect the video from another HDMI input. If anyone has any ideas I would love to be able to play my Xbox without also having to power my PC on.
You shouldn't set your Xbox One X to anything over 8-bit anyway, as setting it to 10-bit or 12-bit changes output to 4:2:2/4:2:0 chroma subsampling. 8-bit outputs at 4:4:4. SDR games aren't mastered to anything above 8-bit anyway, so all you're doing is potentially reducing color resolution while remapping 8-bit content to a 10 or 12 bit output. Leave it set to 8-bit. It will change to 10-bit automatically for HDR10 content.

There is something odd about the HDMI in this model though. I have to unplug my AVR from HDMI 1 every time I want to use my UHD player on HDMI 2 (with video-only output and audio running to my AVR via a separate HDMI cable) or I lose sound. I've even tried breaking pin 13 out of my cables to kill any CEC issues, and I can't figure out what's going on. No clue why unplugging the AVR from the TV would make sound return to my AVR when I'm not even using that input. It's like there's some weird handshaking across HDMI inputs, which makes no sense at all.

post #49 of 285 Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM

I'm glad it's not just me at least. It seems like as long as anything else is putting a video signal out to another HDMI port my One X works fine (confirmed this using my Nintendo Switch today). It doesn't feel like setting the video output to 8-bit is the answer for me; I like to use my Xbox for streaming, as well as 4K Blu-ray discs and those are the places I'm really looking for that full 4K HDR signal. Hopefully Vizio can get it together and put a firmware update out to fix this.
post #50 of 285 Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha013 View Post
I'm glad it's not just me at least. It seems like as long as anything else is putting a video signal out to another HDMI port my One X works fine (confirmed this using my Nintendo Switch today). It doesn't feel like setting the video output to 8-bit is the answer for me; I like to use my Xbox for streaming, as well as 4K Blu-ray discs and those are the places I'm really looking for that full 4K HDR signal. Hopefully Vizio can get it together and put a firmware update out to fix this.
Sorry, I skimmed over your response about HDR10 content automatically switching. Will give that a shot.
post #51 of 285 Old 07-14-2019, 01:38 PM

DSE/banding update....on my second set now. I've noticed the issue is related to the FALD array setting and seems to be exacerbated with HDR content.
W/ HDR content, Array off = most noticeable banding --> https://imgur.com/0tNlfwi
Array on, banding is less noticeable: https://imgur.com/OtbDz7f

Even when the array is on high, I can still see the banding although not as bad. Is there any fix for this?? It seems that this is just inherent to the LCD panel/backlight design (or maybe a QC issue at Vizio?). However, it's much worse than my edge lit Samsung LCD. Maybe FALD just makes it more noticeable?
It's really a shame because aside from the uniformity issues it's really a great picture, and the FALD aides in the nice contrast. But it's very distracting when playing games or watching sports. Do you guys have this same issue? I don't want to keep exchanging panels if they all have this. Really frustrating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190714_132259.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	2590696  
post #52 of 285 Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I have the 65" coming on Thursday or Friday from Costco.ca. I will post my findings and compare to my P65-C1...which is awesome, and has no issues.
post #53 of 285 Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
HDR blooming issue

Is it that bad?
I'm not going to click on that (because, ugh, even before reading what people are saying about him), but I can tell you from my own experience with a Vizio 2018 PQ set that it can be that bad, if you don't calibrate it correctly.

The real key, at least with the 2018, is to keep the FALD settings on Low (well, and obviously calibrate it correctly in more general). No blooming whatsoever. It's still plenty of extra local lighting for bright areas, and it still locally dims full black in HDR to... black.

Medium is an acceptable compromise, but you will see some blooming in relation to white text against black backgrounds. I've NEVER noticed blooming on Medium *in* an actually natural video scene, only with things like text on flat black backgrounds, or with some bloom into the letterboxing "black bars" on things with a wider aspect ratio than 16:9.

Personally I just always run it on Low. I don't feel like the FALD needs to be any stronger than that, the highlights are plenty impressive on Low, but we also watch in a fairly dark room with no direct sunlight. So long as you don't get caught up in the fact that it's called "Low" I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with it set to that. Maybe in a brightly lit room the Medium would help.

The 2019 Ps may be different in this regard, I know there have been some reviews saying that the FALD algorithm has been tweaked to further reduce bloom. One thing to keep in mind is that, at least on the 2018, you have to go back in and set this for every type of video/input (so, it's different between SDR and HDR, and it also is different from HDR10 to Dolby Video... even on the same input source... and of course it's different between each input source, including apps vs external input).
post #54 of 285 Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taswyn View Post
I'm not going to click on that (because, ugh, even before reading what people are saying about him), but I can tell you from my own experience with a Vizio 2018 PQ set that it can be that bad, if you don't calibrate it correctly.
He was running brightness 38, contrast over 60, and backlight at 100 with gamma at 2.4 and running his lower IRE settings in 11 point at -50,-50,-50 (per one of his other videos). So basically, settings that no one (especially a so-called "calibrator") should ever run. There is literally no way you could run those settings and not exacerbate blooming. He's basically confusing the hell out of the FALD algorithm by feeding it bad info. Garbage in... garbage out.

I've made some minor adjustments to color on mine, but other than that, there's no reason for anyone to have such extreme variations from the default Calibrated/Cal Dark settings. Even on Medium FALD, I'm seeing less blooming than I sometimes do on my older P50-C1 in my bedroom. Barring the occasional subtitle, I don't think most would even notice. I do think the FALD algorithm could be a bit quicker during extreme dark to bright transitions, but I'm hoping this is something they improve upon in future updates as they have done with past model years.

post #55 of 285 Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Thanks for kind reply, taswn.

It seem all TVs employing FALD will exhibit such issues in one form or another. I'm trying to decide between the Hisense dual-cell U9E which claims to have dealt with this problem, or the much cheaper H9F.
post #56 of 285 Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Anyone able to post their settings?

Have a a set coming out as a replacement for my P65-F1 from Vizio....

Would the PQ65 settings work for this one as well?
post #57 of 285 Old 07-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a guide or list of settings to get the TV to a good level.
I just purchased this set and I don't really plan to calibrate it all by myself.
post #58 of 285 Old 07-22-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhol View Post
Anyone able to post their settings?

Have a a set coming out as a replacement for my P65-F1 from Vizio....

Would the PQ65 settings work for this one as well?

Vizio is giving you a 2019 model to replace a 2016/2017 set?

I might be in the same boat, going through Costco warranty replacement soon and I'm curious what I may end up with

Anyone know if the 2019 models have the same issues with Audio lag on HDMI 5 with Game mode on?
post #59 of 285 Old 07-22-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 2188
Quote:
Originally Posted by martbob View Post
Is there a guide or list of settings to get the TV to a good level.
I just purchased this set and I don't really plan to calibrate it all by myself.
Rtngs has the P Quantum purchased and a review is on the way, including recommended settings. In the meantime, I'd suggest you follow the Quantum X recommended settings. See the Quantum X thread and look for @Noydcom 's recommendations.
Eric618 likes this.
post #60 of 285 Old 07-23-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeck View Post
Vizio is giving you a 2019 model to replace a 2016/2017 set?

I might be in the same boat, going through Costco warranty replacement soon and I'm curious what I may end up with

Anyone know if the 2019 models have the same issues with Audio lag on HDMI 5 with Game mode on?
Yep - told them I was sick of this line of TV's as it was my third and they requested an upgraded replacement....took 7 days to get a decision but they agreed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page