2019 Vizio P series G1 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #241 of 308 Old 10-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Flicker on one area of screen

I'm really enjoying my 65 inch G1, which is a huge improvment over my old 65 inch LG. I've had the set a few weeks and I did buy an extended warranty. Today, I noticed an issue. It only occurs on one movie, and it happens on both the HD and UHD versions of the movie. I wonder if others here are seeing the same problem.

The movie is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The problem occurs in the scene where Roy Neary's truck is enveloped in light next to a railroad crossing (17 to 20 mins into the movie or so). A line of mailboxes is visible at the end of the scene. When they appear, I see a distinct flicker next to the rightmost mailbox. If I turn off active full array (I usually have it set to medium), the flicker disappears. I assume the light and dark elements of this part of the scene are just giving the dimming algorithm some problems. This is the only source material where I have noticed this problem. The UHD/HDR source was Amazon and the HD source was Crackle.

Has anyone else seen this effect? Any thoughts/input much appreciated.

Thank you and all the best,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 308 Old 10-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post
I'm really enjoying my 65 inch G1, which is a huge improvment over my old 65 inch LG. I've had the set a few weeks and I did buy an extended warranty. Today, I noticed an issue. It only occurs on one movie, and it happens on both the HD and UHD versions of the movie. I wonder if others here are seeing the same problem.

The movie is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The problem occurs in the scene where Roy Neary's truck is enveloped in light next to a railroad crossing (17 to 20 mins into the movie or so). A line of mailboxes is visible at the end of the scene. When they appear, I see a distinct flicker next to the rightmost mailbox. If I turn off active full array (I usually have it set to medium), the flicker disappears. I assume the light and dark elements of this part of the scene are just giving the dimming algorithm some problems. This is the only source material where I have noticed this problem. The UHD/HDR source was Amazon and the HD source was Crackle.

Has anyone else seen this effect? Any thoughts/input much appreciated.

Thank you and all the best,

Brian
I've done some more checking--this is definitely a fault. I found a movie where a light on a dark background tracked through this flickering area and sure enough, it flickered as it moved through. Glad I got the extended warranty!

All the best,

Brian
post #243 of 308 Old 11-12-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have had nothing but troubles with this TV since 9-20-2019.
I have contacted Vizio numerous times, and finally, they are supposed to be setting up a warranty repair (but from reading posts on different forums, this will not matter and I am better off returning it).

#1 . Ads on the 'V' screen. Every time I tried to switch streaming channels, I would get "Enable quick start" "Apple TV", etc. that I would have to back out of to get it off the screen. This was like the TV being in Demo mode. (3 firmware updates still did not solve this problem) I fixed this by using a Roku.

#2 . HDMI switching on its own. I disabled CEC, and it did not matter. It would switch in the middle of something to input 2. There was no HDMI in input 2.

#3 . Changing input on startup. Once again, it would switch to HDMI 2 by itself with CEC disabled.
#4 . Randomly powering on. I would be sitting in the living room with the TV off, it would turn on, wait 15 minutes and shut off after not detecting a signal.

#5 . Freezing on startup. This has happened twice in the last two days. I will turn the TV on, the light will illuminate and stay on while the screen would do nothing. No buttons on the remote worked. The only way to fix it is by unplugging it.

This TV is GARBAGE. I got ripped off because I no longer have the box and cannot return this F*&#ING TRASH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 308 Old 11-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wallisch View Post
I have had nothing but troubles with this TV since 9-20-2019.
I have contacted Vizio numerous times, and finally, they are supposed to be setting up a warranty repair (but from reading posts on different forums, this will not matter and I am better off returning it).

#1 . Ads on the 'V' screen. Every time I tried to switch streaming channels, I would get "Enable quick start" "Apple TV", etc. that I would have to back out of to get it off the screen. This was like the TV being in Demo mode. (3 firmware updates still did not solve this problem) I fixed this by using a Roku.

#2 . HDMI switching on its own. I disabled CEC, and it did not matter. It would switch in the middle of something to input 2. There was no HDMI in input 2.

#3 . Changing input on startup. Once again, it would switch to HDMI 2 by itself with CEC disabled.
#4 . Randomly powering on. I would be sitting in the living room with the TV off, it would turn on, wait 15 minutes and shut off after not detecting a signal.

#5 . Freezing on startup. This has happened twice in the last two days. I will turn the TV on, the light will illuminate and stay on while the screen would do nothing. No buttons on the remote worked. The only way to fix it is by unplugging it.

This TV is GARBAGE. I got ripped off because I no longer have the box and cannot return this F*&#ING TRASH.
Andy,

So sorry to hear of your troubles. I am on my third unit (my first had terrible dirty screen effect, the second looked great, but then developed a dark spot due to lamination separation (as diagnosed by Vizio)). After the first TV was replaced, I bought the extended warranty (2 years) at Best Buy, so I had home visits with the second unit. This third unit seems to be a winner--minimal DSE and it seems to work fine (for now). Interestingly, the first two units were made in Mexico. The box sticker said "ultrabrite 1000." This third unit is from China and the box says "ultrabrite 1100." It seems to be a newer TV; the remote has a home key rather than a V key.

This TV is capable of incredibly good performance, but the QC is definitely lacking. I think you should reach out to Vizio support again. There are boxing stores in some towns that can package the TV up safely; maybe they will accept a warranty return if it is properly packed. It seems unreasonable to ask people to keep the enormous box shipped from the store.

Good luck.

All the best,

Brian
post #245 of 308 Old 11-14-2019, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any chance a Best Buy might have a box laying around, from a floor display?
post #246 of 308 Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Currently have Samsung 60F8500 Plasma
Would P65 be improvement in picture quality ?
I'm interested in 4K content from Netflix.
post #247 of 308 Old 11-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Firmware Update Messed up Clear Action Setting

I have both a P659-G1 and a P65-E1 and a firmware update just came through a day or two ago that makes the screen blink when the Clear Action setting is on. I had this on both TV's without any problem. Then I turned the TV on yesterday night to watch a show and the screen is flickering. I tried both TVs and they are both doing it. I turned the Clear Action setting off and the flickering goes away. I think this firmware update was supposed to add the ability to do HDR10+ but it seems to have messed up other settings now. I also noticed my colors seem more washed out on my P659-G1 but I'm not 100% sure on that. Has anyone else had this issue?
post #248 of 308 Old 11-19-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepoffaith View Post
I have both a P659-G1 and a P65-E1 and a firmware update just came through a day or two ago that makes the screen blink when the Clear Action setting is on. I had this on both TV's without any problem. Then I turned the TV on yesterday night to watch a show and the screen is flickering. I tried both TVs and they are both doing it. I turned the Clear Action setting off and the flickering goes away. I think this firmware update was supposed to add the ability to do HDR10+ but it seems to have messed up other settings now. I also noticed my colors seem more washed out on my P659-G1 but I'm not 100% sure on that. Has anyone else had this issue?
I'm not seeing this problem on my unit. Have you tried a reset (unplug the TV for 5 mins and restart it)?

All the best,

Brian
post #249 of 308 Old 11-25-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got the P759-G1 a couple days ago. The only complaint I have is when watching network TV shows on my X1 box. It seems during fast motion dark scenes the screen pauses briefly it almost looks like shuttering. I was watching FBI last night and they chased someone up some dark steps. When they got to the top screen paused a little bit almost robotic movement. I tried turning on clear action and re played the scene the screen flickered brightly during the scene makes me think there is something wrong with the set

4k looks great
sports look great
what is it about network tv shows
post #250 of 308 Old 11-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Banding Issue a deal breaker?

Well it's time to replace my 5 year old 65" Vizio non 4K and now that I've got eye strain from reading reviews perhaps an owner of this 659 can pipe in. From all accounts this is a pretty decent TV and clearly better than my old one however the only thing that I have come across is this 'banding' issue. Now I'm a 65 year old guy who wears reading glasses and not what I'd call a cinema or videophile so.......is this banding issue something that will jump out and annoy me or is it some subtle anomaly that only presents under certain conditions and something I likely wont even pick up? My application is just for TV, streaming/downloaded media via the apps or 4k Nvidia Shield.

....also, is this present on all of the 659's or are some just worse than others?

Thanks in advance....
post #251 of 308 Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 AM

IMO, some of it depends on the panel. Quality control isn't the best with LCD panels, and all have some issues (banding, uniformity, etc). That said, I think many here, myself included, are really dissecting the picture and analyzing the hell out of it. Day to day people that don't care too much about electronics etc. wouldn't ever notice a problem on anything but the worst panels.
volvik likes this.
post #252 of 308 Old 11-27-2019, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've noticed that some show's HDR processes differently than others. For instance The Ranch (a terrible show but she likes it) is in 4k DV-HDR from Netflix on a Firestick but it's so dark that you can't see anything even after cranking brightness. On the same session I'll switch to...anything else, and it looks fine. Similarly we watched the new Amazon show The Feed (4k HDR10 according to Vizio info). On regular settings that look crisp for other shows the picture was a bit hazy but when we switched to Vivid, everything was crisp and clear and very pretty.

I guess my question is: is there a way to force HDR content to show natively, i.e. bypass tv settings and use the program's settings? Or should I just be prepared to create several picture presets and switch between them based on the programming?

I've recently ditched DTV after about 15 years and am all in on HULU (Live/no commercials/blah blah blah) and it looks amazing on this tv. I also added bias lighting and it totally makes night viewing so much easier on the eyes and really defines the picture. Might be only in my head, but I love it. The pic attached was me playing with green to match the field but I usually stick with white.

One problem I have had is random power on. I've factory reset the tv and turned all connectivity off (no ARC, wifi). This also means no firmware update since purchase in August. After a month, no random powering on. I have now switched on ARC and have not had any random power on issues. Next will be Wifi. This might be the issue b/c I have a wifi enabled front door lock and I was worried that the signals were crossing and turning on the tv. Will know as soon as I enable wifi.

One last question: when I enable wifi it's going to ask me to update firmware. Is the latest update necessary? I do not use Apple anything. If the latest firmware only addresses that, I don't need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamlite.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2646306  
post #253 of 308 Old 11-29-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Pivoted to the Quantum X

Well after a few days of reading and watching I decided to take advantage of Costco's BF sale on the Quantum X so I guess it's off to a different thread to learn about it.
Eric618 likes this.
post #254 of 308 Old 11-29-2019, 05:42 PM

Only $1,600 for the Quantum X? That's a great deal!
post #255 of 308 Old 12-07-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
p759-g1 Vizio TV Smart cast audio output to surround sound

How do I output audio from smart cast apps such as netflix from the tv onto my surround sound, my surround sound does not have an ARC port, I can hear the sound coming from the tv but I want it to output it onto my home theater system. The home theater system is Onkyo HT-S3700 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/
post #256 of 308 Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM

How do I output audio from smart cast apps such as netflix from the tv onto my surround sound, my surround sound does not have an ARC port, I can hear the sound coming from the tv but I want it to output it onto my home theater system. The home theater system is Onkyo HT-S3700 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/
post #257 of 308 Old 12-10-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanMan yolunda View Post
Use the digital out on the TV to your optical input on the Onkyo. All you need is a TOSLINK cable.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #258 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Overall I'm really enjoying this TV. I wasn't sure at first but after messing with the picture settings for a while and getting everything set the way I like it, I feel really good about my purchase. The only thing I have yet to get straightened out is why my TV gets such a bad wifi signal. I've tried connecting to my 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections but the TV won't pick up a connection fast enough to stream through Smartcast. What really surprised me is that the 2.4GHz connection tested faster than the 5GHz connection did on the TV (still coming in at under 15 Mbps while the 5Ghz connection is around 5Mbps). When I test the connection on my phone or Chromebook, I see speeds over 100 Mbps so I'm pretty confident the issue is with the TV itself. I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ that I run everything through but based on some of the posts I've seen on here, the Smartcast apps allow certain streaming qualities that I may not be able to get through the Roku so it would be cool to be able to test that out. When I try streaming through Smartcast, the picture quality is so bad because of it buffering.

I have the TV mounted on the wall so I thought maybe that had something to do with it but based on this forum, sounds like plenty of people have it mounted and aren't having this same issue. I probably need to just get on the phone with Vizio but figured i'd check here first to see if anyone else had this problem and was able to get it fixed or how they handled it.
post #259 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey all. I just received my new P65 quantum and I am noticing some vertical banding (very minor in real world viewing, only panning on white or near white background and center top of the screen only). Sounds like this might be par for the course with the FLAD backlight but I was hoping you guys could weight in? I don't want to play the panel lottery if I am already winning (got the set for $1,200 CAD). The other TV in my house is an LG plasma so I might be being unfair to the P65 uniformity. The P65 black level and color blows the LG plasma out of the water though.
Based on the photos below, how do you think the banding compares to other sets you have seen?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40%.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	650.4 KB
ID:	2652560   Click image for larger version

Name:	20%.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	666.5 KB
ID:	2652562   Click image for larger version

Name:	5%.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	793.4 KB
ID:	2652564   Click image for larger version

Name:	100%.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	506.6 KB
ID:	2652566   Click image for larger version

Name:	80%.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	2652568  

Name:	60%.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	651.4 KB
ID:	2652570  
post #260 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace1000 View Post
Hey all. I just received my new P65 quantum and I am noticing some vertical banding (very minor in real world viewing, only panning on white or near white background and center top of the screen only). Sounds like this might be par for the course with the FLAD backlight but I was hoping you guys could weight in? I don't want to play the panel lottery if I am already winning (got the set for $1,200 CAD). The other TV in my house is an LG plasma so I might be being unfair to the P65 uniformity. The P65 black level and color blows the LG plasma out of the water though.
Based on the photos below, how do you think the banding compares to other sets you have seen?
To me, It looks pretty good!

Rew

Rew
Vizio PX75-G1 | Vizio P75-C1 | Denon AVR-X4500H | OPPO UDP-203 | Tivo Bolt+| Nvidia Shield Android TV | Roku Ultra | Apple TV 4k | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS8 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 | TRL/TRR =Bose 161 | Sub =Reaction Audio S-15 500W SEALED SUBWOOFER
post #261 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post
To me, It looks pretty good!

Rew

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at the photos. If it looks good to you guys I will turn off the picky part of my brain :-).
My tv box got a good ding on the bottom corner during shipping which actually cracked the foam inside but the TV corner looked good. That made me really start to look for potential issues.
post #262 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I’m trying to get my Xbox One X to display Dolby Vision from the Blu Ray player. It does HDR10. In the TV & Display options on the Xbox it shows Dolby Vision checked and says it supports DV. My TV firmware is up to date. I’m trying it on Godzilla King of Monsters
post #263 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 01:14 PM

That doesn't look bad to me. I've certainly seen much worse.
post #264 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric618 View Post
That doesn't look bad to me. I've certainly seen much worse.

Thanks for taking a look Eric. The feedback is much appreciated aside from the fact that you are taking my wife's side :-P.
post #265 of 308 Old 12-11-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace1000 View Post
Thanks for taking a look Eric. The feedback is much appreciated aside from the fact that you are taking my wife's side :-P.
Lol. They get it right every once in a while.
post #266 of 308 Old 12-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrer34 View Post
Overall I'm really enjoying this TV. I wasn't sure at first but after messing with the picture settings for a while and getting everything set the way I like it, I feel really good about my purchase. The only thing I have yet to get straightened out is why my TV gets such a bad wifi signal. I've tried connecting to my 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections but the TV won't pick up a connection fast enough to stream through Smartcast. What really surprised me is that the 2.4GHz connection tested faster than the 5GHz connection did on the TV (still coming in at under 15 Mbps while the 5Ghz connection is around 5Mbps). When I test the connection on my phone or Chromebook, I see speeds over 100 Mbps so I'm pretty confident the issue is with the TV itself. I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ that I run everything through but based on some of the posts I've seen on here, the Smartcast apps allow certain streaming qualities that I may not be able to get through the Roku so it would be cool to be able to test that out. When I try streaming through Smartcast, the picture quality is so bad because of it buffering.

I have the TV mounted on the wall so I thought maybe that had something to do with it but based on this forum, sounds like plenty of people have it mounted and aren't having this same issue. I probably need to just get on the phone with Vizio but figured i'd check here first to see if anyone else had this problem and was able to get it fixed or how they handled it.
jrer,

I bought the 75 inch version and have been using it for the last month. I bought it on a Thursday and had zero issues with connectivity until the weekend when my two sons were home. They typically both game in their rooms while running Youtube on their phones simultaneously. My significant other is in the other room watching something on Netflix. All of a sudden I run into difficulty with the wifi signal particularly with 4k content. I was due for a router upgrade so I purchased a new one and still ran into the same problem. I then took it a step further and bought a range extender and hardwired the tv to the range extender. I haven't had a problem since. This may not be the best route to fix the issue but it worked for me and I don't plan on changing it.

I am not sure if this will help your situation but I thought I would mention it.

Wallace,

I don't see much of an issue with your pictures either.
post #267 of 308 Old 12-12-2019, 11:34 AM

I put on some hockey last night and the vertical bands were very distracting so I put on some snowboarding and the half-pipe looked real bad! I emailed Vizio to see if they have any recommended settings to minimize the effect. Currently running calibrated dark with backlight reduced to 25, medium FALD. Basically RTings settings with a few tweaks.
post #268 of 308 Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodta View Post
I’m trying to get my Xbox One X to display Dolby Vision from the Blu Ray player. It does HDR10. In the TV & Display options on the Xbox it shows Dolby Vision checked and says it supports DV. My TV firmware is up to date. I’m trying it on Godzilla King of Monsters
The Xbox One X does not play Dolby Vision from 4k discs, only streaming.
post #269 of 308 Old 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thinking about picking this tv up. Not sure whether to go with this set, the TCL 75R617 or for lower in size to the Sony 65x900F. What made you guys ultimately choose this set? Thanks!
post #270 of 308 Old 12-19-2019, 02:55 PM

I have the Vizio Quantum P659-G1 for about a week now. Anyone having any issues using a Roku Premier +? I had it hooked up originally through an HDMI switch. The device would attempt to boot and you can actually see the bouncing Roku logo seen while booting. However the set then displays a message that there is no Roku or other device connected. I changed ports on the switch and got the same result. I also switched HDMI inputs on the set itself and still got the same result. The Roku works because I had it working on another Vizio set previously. I have a 4K Firestick hooked up through the same switch and it works with no issues at all. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page