Understanding ARC from TV to Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Understanding ARC from TV to Receiver

I'm looking to upgrade my TV but don't want to update all of my equipment. If I got a 4k TV and watched Nextflix, Amazon, and Youtube on the TV I still want to have those sources play audio through my receiver and speakers. My receiver has HDMI 1.3a ports and I don't think audio return channel (ARC) was enabled until HDMI 1.4.

I'm wondering if this matters for a TVs local apps. If I hook up the TV's HDMI ARC output to a regular input of the receiver shouldn't the receiver understand the audio just like any other source? Is ARC about passing through audio from a separately connected source (such as a blu-ray player) connected directly to the TV? Does my receiver need to support ARC to hear sound from the TV's local apps?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2049
The receiver must have ARC for that to work. Most displays will have an optical out that you could run to your receiver for audio.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-15-2019, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
The receiver must have ARC for that to work. Most displays will have an optical out that you could run to your receiver for audio.

S~
Oh that stinks. My receiver is in a rack far away from the TV. I have an HDMI extender that goes from the TV to the Receiver that I use for my son's Nintendo Switch. I was hoping to send the TV audio back through that extender via an HDMI switch.

Just curious why the receiver must also have ARC to get the sound from the TV. Is it the way the TV sends the audio from internal sources is different than the way a regular HDMI source sends audio? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_man View Post
Just curious why the receiver must also have ARC to get the sound from the TV. Is it the way the TV sends the audio from internal sources is different than the way a regular HDMI source sends audio? Thanks!
Normal HDMI audio is sent the same way as video. It only goes one direction. TVs don't have HDMI outputs, only inputs (and if hypothetically a TV did have an HDMI output, you would need a second HDMI cable).
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
Normal HDMI audio is sent the same way as video. It only goes one direction. TVs don't have HDMI outputs, only inputs (and if hypothetically a TV did have an HDMI output, you would need a second HDMI cable).
Ah, that makes more sense that it is an HDMI input rather than output. I actually do have the second HDMI cable since one goes from the video game to the receiver and the other goes from the receiver to the TV.

I just really don't love the idea of having to update all my equipment now (receiver and HDMI extenders) especially since it looks like everything is HDMI 2.0 now and this will need to be done again if I want HDMI 2.1 in the future. Getting a new TV is easy for me however swapping all the other equipment based on how it is installed in my rack is a much bigger project.

I guess my best option will be sticking to the TV speakers or getting a cheap soundbar for the internal TV sources and using my AVR/speakers for everything else. Most of my viewing will be Comcast or rented blu-ray movies which won't be 4k and would still go through the AVR.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Maybe something like this would work for you
https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-arc-opti...arc+to+optical
post #7 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Maybe something like this would work for you
https://www.amazon.com/hdmi-arc-opti...arc+to+optical
Thanks but I don't think that would work. I wanted to send the HDMI audio from the native TV app back to my receiver. I don't think this device would help with that unless I'm mistaken.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_man View Post
Thanks but I don't think that would work. I wanted to send the HDMI audio from the native TV app back to my receiver. I don't think this device would help with that unless I'm mistaken.
The various product descriptions are not that good but this seems like what you want?
https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Opti...-1-spons&psc=1
Support ARC Function : Extract the Audio from TV to Soundbar or Amplifier.Connect your TV HDMI(ARC) Port to this Audio converter HDMI Output Port with HDMI Cable, then connect Optical cable to Amplifier. Please Note: ARC function is only available from the Optical SPDIF Port.

EDIT: Not really sure. Description is not great. Maybe put up a question or see if you can find the manual.

Last edited by sjm817; 06-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #10 of 11 Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Your receiver needs ARC for an optical input from your TV?

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #11 of 11 Old 06-19-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
If pulling another CAT line is possible you could just use an optical audio extender to send audio from your TV to your receiver:

https://muxlab.com/pro-digital/digital-audio-extender

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|Peachtree DAC•iT|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2/SF Chameleon B|Marantz 1508|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page