Looking for 55" TV recommendations in $500-700 range 2019? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for 55" TV recommendations in $500-700 range 2019?

I currently have a 10 year old Samsung LCD and want to upgrade. The TV will be going in my basement which has ceiling lights My old set has a very sharp picture but the colors look very dull; even compared to low end LCD sets of today. I'm looking for a 55" model and will use it mostly for watching TV shows and movies and also doing some gaming. I will sit about 7-8 feet from the TV. I don't want to spend much more than $700 because this TV would really be a temporary upgrade for a few years until the next generation of TV technology comes out (i.e. MicroLED and HDMI 2.1). I am sensitive to flicker so from what I understand I want a set with a 480Hz or higher PWM dimming frequency (correct me if I'm wrong).

So far I was considering the TCL 6 Series because it is apparently a really good TV for the price. I'm concerned that the glossy screen might be an issue and I'm hesitant to buy a Chinese brand TV because of security concerns. The other model I was considering was the Vizio P Series TV as that has gotten a lot of good reviews. Some have said that it has bad issues with blooming in HDR but I don't really plan on using HDR so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

What do you think of the TVs I'm considering and do you have recommendations from other brands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
In that price range its hard to consider anything other than TCL/Vizio when it come to performance/dollar ratio. So I would say go for it.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
In that price range its hard to consider anything other than TCL/Vizio when it come to performance/dollar ratio. So I would say go for it.
Problem is the upscaling. OP says he watches SD content.

My Sammy 55 Q8 was only $1000.00. You might even find it cheaper before they all disappear.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD

Last edited by Steelman99; 06-16-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I would suggest giving the Hisense H8F a look but I forgot Hisense is a Chinese company too so that might lose your appeal on it a little bit. I think your best option is the 2019 Vizio M-series TV, version model M558-G1 which suppose to deliver up to 600 peak brightness of HDR and 90 local dimming zones, all for just $699.99.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra (2018 model)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post

What I really meant was that I will be viewing mostly HD content in Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) mode and not HDR mode since HDR has not become standardized yet and is hit or miss. I know the Vizio has some issues with blooming in HDR mode but it shouldn't be an issue if I don't use HDR mode on the Vizio set.

Would I be able to get around the poor SD upscaling of the Vizio as long as the player itself does a good job of upscaling?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4913 View Post
What I really meant was that I will be viewing mostly HD content in Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) mode and not HDR mode since HDR has not become standardized yet and is hit or miss. I know the Vizio has some issues with blooming in HDR mode but it shouldn't be an issue if I don't use HDR mode on the Vizio set.

Would I be able to get around the poor SD upscaling of the Vizio as long as the player itself does a good job of upscaling?
Well I had the Vizio P 2018 and sent it back to Dell. I was used to Samsung's upscaling and the Vizio drove me up the wall. They have to cut corners to meet their price point and upscaling processing is one of the ways they do it.I used a Roku ultra, and Fire TV pendant and was not happy with the upscaling. What helped was a Mcable I had and setting the Roku's output to 1080p for the Samsung. The Vizio's picture was too soft in my opinion even with the Mcaple.There is a reason why your Samsung's picture is so sharp they process better.. Slick Deals can help you get a deal on a better TV if you keep on it.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #7 of 7 Old 06-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post

My Sammy 55 Q8 was only $1000.00. You might even find it cheaper before they all disappear.
Unfortunately a certain budget requires compromises, otherwise I would have recommended the Sony 930e on Amazon for $998 ( as I type this)

An excellent tv with best in the business upscaler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page