Buying a 4K TV. Which size 55in or 65in for a bedroom at 4-5ft away from TV. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By p3trol_h3ad
  • 1 Post By AmandaStars

post #1 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Buying a 4K TV. Which size 55in or 65in for a bedroom at 4-5ft away from TV.

Going to Best Buy this week to pick up a 4K TV but don't know which size I should purchased for my bedroom. I'm going to be sitting 4-5 away from the TV. I can't go further back because my bed is behind me. Going to be playing a lot of games on it if that's important to know.

What size would you recommend at that distant, any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaStars View Post
Going to Best Buy this week to pick up a 4K TV but don't know which size I should purchased for my bedroom. I'm going to be sitting 4-5 away from the TV. I can't go further back because my bed is behind me. Going to be playing a lot of games on it if that's important to know.

If i had a 65 incher in my bedroom, that would seriously screw up my sleep patterns....

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:

Don't make the mistake I did and but too small. With 4k TV's you can sit very close and it will still look great. I bought a 55 inch coming from a 52 inch and thought it'd be fine and boy was I wrong. Needed a 65 inch minimum and I kick myself every single day to the point I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and clean up the mess I made buying too small. I'm gonna have to get a 65 inch. I say 65 inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
If i had a 65 incher in my bedroom, that would seriously screw up my sleep patterns....
What you mean by that and I see you got a 55inch, how do you like it in your bedroom?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
What you mean by that and I see you got a 55inch, how do you like it in your bedroom?
I only do 2 things in my bedroom, and one of those is sleep. I removed my TV years ago when I learned all screens interfere
with your sleep. I have not missed it at all.I watch my 55 inch Samsung in my living room sitting in my Lazyboy.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The main problem with a large 4K TV is sitting too close (depending on whether you are going for an IPS, VA, or OLED). VA panels will be worst up close because their color, brightness, and black level will shift and washout on the sides the closer you sit. With IPS or OLED (primarily OLED) you won't have as much of an issue with color washing out on the side but you lose a lot of contrast with IPS versus VA and OLED. You should also check Rtings.com to see what the TV's viewing angles are like, that is if they have reviewed the TV you're looking at purchasing.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I think 49" would be big enough.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
60 inches from a 65 inch screen does not sound like a good idea going from the old cinema rule of 2.5 times the diagonal of the screen as ideal viewing distance. Gaming related issues I would put as top priority, then pixels over inches.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Get a 55" and put the cash toward the best set possible for better PQ.

65 would be too big.

Ideal viewing for 65" is 6.5 ft. - 9 ft.
pilotart and G-Rex like this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Get a 55" and put the cash toward the best set possible for better PQ.

65 would be too big.

Ideal viewing for 65" is 6.5 ft. - 9 ft.
Yes this makes sense. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and look at 2 TV's I have in mind but in the end I'm going to go with the 55inch unit for sure. Thanks everyone for the help
pilotart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page