Will Your Next TV be an 8K TV? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Will your next TV be an 8K TV
Yes 113 28.75%
No 280 71.25%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 128Likes

post #151 of 241 Old 06-26-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 View Post
Literally just got into 4k over the past 3 years. I'm good for a while.
Make that last 8 months for me. Bought 2 4k tcl's in that time. I'm good for a while.
rupedogg24 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 241 Old 06-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
I ain't buying until we get 75 inch 8K MicroLED for $2000 or less.
+1

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #153 of 241 Old 06-28-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 241 Old 06-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, but that is because it will be several years at least, I hope. New-ish 75Z9F $ony which is spectacular. But it's already too far away technically and for a real benefit from 8K I'd have to be twice as close?? Right now I have great sports performance and it's a high brightness light cannon, both important for my placement as I don't have a basement/cave.

A lot of material I watch isn't 4K, in fact one local broadcaster is still 720p, so sitting closer would just make that look even worse. And that's with the Sony's excellent upscaling.

8K, with presumably something like MicroLED for total zone control, or if they have made brighter OLED's that don't burn in. In a really big size, 88 or 100 inch, for less than I paid for the Sony. That will be about the time I buy, so figure 4 to 5 years, minimum.
post #155 of 241 Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Not until it is very mainstream and in a 49". Not happening anytime soon. Plus I have it from a good source Dish(what I use) is not even "planning" a 8K DVR until at least 2024. On the current Hopper out of about 600 total channels only a handful are even consistently 4K yet. Anyways, for it to show up in a 49" is a long time away if ever. All I have room for and I sit close enough to it regardless. Right now only Samsung(AFAIK) has a 55 for $3,500MSRP. When and if a 49" is under $1,500 I will bite. Doubtful it ever even happens. I would not buy the $3,500MSRP 55" now either because MicroLED is around the corner. I am not sure if there is even an OLED 8K 55" yet? Anyways I just bought my TV 4 days ago. So I suppose my answer is no!

Plus even if the Olympics is in 8K I cannot view it in that resolution with dish either. There is pretty much no broadcast reception here and I do not even have an antenna. Since it would be useless here anyways. So right now I am crippled by size and resolution of the hardware delivering the content. I do not use the apps much either. Even with those very little of interest to me is in 4K let alone 8K. Upsampling is not even close to native. In fact the only way you can tell the Q900 is a better TV than the Q70 is to run native 8K on it. Plus it has issues that OLED's suffer from like bad stutter which I hate. It is not worth it to me to get better black level either. I would say to those that really want it wait for MicroLED or OLED to catch up.

Right now, for the price I personally feel it is a complete waste. Barely any 4K content let alone 8K. Hopefully by the next time I am ready to purchase price and size have decreased along with viable content options. I already said my answer was no but I am speaking on the behalf of others that may be interested in it. I feel it is a waste right now. Maybe in 5 years it is mainstream, smaller TV's available and decrease in price. However mainly better display technology is around the corner to make good usage of such a high resolution. I feel now would be an awkward time to spend that and one may just regret it as the technology of the panels improves very shortly. In fact probably more shortly than there will be hoards of 8K content. I feel now is not the right time. If on the fence I would say wait a bit then. Just my personal feelings. YMMV of course.

Actually I think in some ways I concur with the majority of the posts in this thread. Although I may have taken the meaning of it wrong. I figured the OP meant "now". If in 5+ years, probably so! It will most likely be a standard feature amongst all sets by then along with hopefully MicroLED or perhaps even better technology! It does seem though under 55" is the Bastard child nowadays(if that is okay to say here, if not Mod's kindly delete it). Everyone wants the largest they can obtain. To me personally it is not that big a deal. I feel 49" is perfect even in a (large) bedroom. I am the head of the Household so the theater room is technically mine since I paid for it Although, ask my kids that question LOL.
post #156 of 241 Old 06-30-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
Not until it is very mainstream and in a 49". Not happening anytime soon. Plus I have it from a good source Dish(what I use) is not even "planning" a 8K DVR until at least 2024. On the current Hopper out of about 600 total channels only a handful are even consistently 4K yet. Anyways, for it to show up in a 49" is a long time away if ever. All I have room for and I sit close enough to it regardless. Right now only Samsung(AFAIK) has a 55 for $3,500MSRP. When and if a 49" is under $1,500 I will bite. Doubtful it ever even happens. I would not buy the $3,500MSRP 55" now either because MicroLED is around the corner. I am not sure if there is even an OLED 8K 55" yet? Anyways I just bought my TV 4 days ago. So I suppose my answer is no!

Plus even if the Olympics is in 8K I cannot view it in that resolution with dish either. There is pretty much no broadcast reception here and I do not even have an antenna. Since it would be useless here anyways. So right now I am crippled by size and resolution of the hardware delivering the content. I do not use the apps much either. Even with those very little of interest to me is in 4K let alone 8K. Upsampling is not even close to native. In fact the only way you can tell the Q900 is a better TV than the Q70 is to run native 8K on it. Plus it has issues that OLED's suffer from like bad stutter which I hate. It is not worth it to me to get better black level either. I would say to those that really want it wait for MicroLED or OLED to catch up.

Right now, for the price I personally feel it is a complete waste. Barely any 4K content let alone 8K. Hopefully by the next time I am ready to purchase price and size have decreased along with viable content options. I already said my answer was no but I am speaking on the behalf of others that may be interested in it. I feel it is a waste right now. Maybe in 5 years it is mainstream, smaller TV's available and decrease in price. However mainly better display technology is around the corner to make good usage of such a high resolution. I feel now would be an awkward time to spend that and one may just regret it as the technology of the panels improves very shortly. In fact probably more shortly than there will be hoards of 8K content. I feel now is not the right time. If on the fence I would say wait a bit then. Just my personal feelings. YMMV of course.

Actually I think in some ways I concur with the majority of the posts in this thread. Although I may have taken the meaning of it wrong. I figured the OP meant "now". If in 5+ years, probably so! It will most likely be a standard feature amongst all sets by then along with hopefully MicroLED or perhaps even better technology! It does seem though under 55" is the Bastard child nowadays(if that is okay to say here, if not Mod's kindly delete it). Everyone wants the largest they can obtain. To me personally it is not that big a deal. I feel 49" is perfect even in a (large) bedroom. I am the head of the Household so the theater room is technically mine since I paid for it Although, ask my kids that question LOL.

So, that's a "no"?
Panson likes this.

Dave

post #157 of 241 Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
So, that's a "no"?
A saga no.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #158 of 241 Old 06-30-2019, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:

"in 49inch"... You aren't serious are you? It's bad enough people are try to watch 4K at 1080p viewing distances on 55" sets let alone 49", much like the redundancy of my own living room 4K 65" at 10 foot (Thank god for the 4K HT lol).. At 8K you'd be sitting at around 3 feet with 49"!

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-30-2019 at 11:03 PM.
post #159 of 241 Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
"in 49inch"... You aren't serious are you? It's bad enough people are try to watch 4K at 1080p viewing distances on 55" sets let alone 49", much like the redundancy of my own living room 4K 65" at 10 foot (Thank god for the 4K HT lol).. At 8K you'd be sitting at around 3 feet with 49"!

Don’t forget this little nugget...

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/w...les/WHP282.pdf

BBC studied minimum frame rates - as you can see the curves as they relate to increases in horizontal pixels.

One area in which modern TVs have decidedly not been advancing is frame rates and temporal resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OzHDHT likes this.
post #160 of 241 Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM

No, it was a stupid post on my part. Can't do it with 49". I doubt they ever even make one. They do have 55" though which is stupid enough. Get this. Can you believe I sit 25' from my 49"? I am by no means a fanatic. It is just a TV to me. I feel I see it fine. Mostly upsampling 1080I to 4K. It works for me. I know most of you folks would never dare do such a thing though. I am plenty happy with the Q70R which is probably the best 49" save for perhaps the 900F. Just slightly different and gets brighter. To me, I would not know it is not OLED until it hits a black screen. I absolutely hate the stutter though. Plus constantly watch news, so huge burn in risk there for me. Plus the smallest is 55" which I can't fit in my cabinet. That cabinet is not going anywhere, take my word for it. I have a dedicated room with a projector anyways and it is an 8K Barco. I noticed LG does not even make a 8K set yet. As I said I would at least wait for MicroLED around the corner. Now does not seem like a good time. Plus Samsungs 8K TV''s are a fortune right now IMO. Although I did pay $3,299 for the 49" JS9000 which was crazy. Technology has increased fast on this. Backlit is a world of difference to edgelit blooming IMO. I am plenty happy with it over the JS9000.Even though it is "only" a mid end TV. Anything better would be 55". No go for me. I honestly have no issue sitting so far away. I know most of you here certainly would though. Obviously I am not up for 8K on a 49" at 25' away LOL. It is what it is and personally I am happy. Especially since it was a "gift" from the store wee are extremely loyal to. My JS9000 died 3 days after the warranty was over. I would like to shout them out, great folks but not a god idea given my "deal". Oh well, happy with it. All I could ask for is more backlight zones but it hardly matters on a 49". I am glad no one was upset by my rambling post. My bad.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #161 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 06:45 AM

25 feet from my 49" I cannot even tell the difference between 1080P and 4K, Duh! So I certainly do not need 8K. I am permanently limited to less than 50" at 25' so I am fine. I see it fine too but obviously not like I should be. It is good enough for me though. I am not very picky about TV's. I am mainly into 2 Channel Audio. In that regard I have 2 exceptionally high end systems. TV does not really matter to me and we have a 8K projector anyways in a dedicated theater room if I want. I do not even use it. My kids do constantly as I had mentioned. My Wife thinks the 49" is fine at 25' as well. so all is good. I would have liked to wait for MicroLED but alas,our TV croaked. without having OLED side by side this is plenty good enough for me. Especially since it was "given away" to us. I cannot complain and I am surely not. It is a good deal better than what I had at 4x the price from 2015.
post #162 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 08:48 AM

There is only one 4K channel on Dish anyways. Fox sports I hardly watch. It cannot do 8K. They have no plans for 8K until at least 2024. Netflix has some 4K but AFAIK, no 8K as of the moment. Like I said I could not see it anyhow. someone mentioned above I would need to be 3' from the set and I am 25'! I cannot even tell the difference between 4K and 1080P as I just mentioned. If they make a 8K 49" when this one dies I will probably get it just for the heck of it. It is unlikely they ever make one though. I will say they are making these things cheaper and cheaper quality. The $3,500MSRP 55" to me is absurd. I cannot fit a 55" in my cabinet which is not going anywhere anyways. This was a huge upgrade as it was and it was much less MSRP than the set it replaced.
post #163 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dude, I think you've made your point.

Dave

post #164 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 05:18 PM

LOL, yes indeed. My bad. Sorry.
post #165 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL, yes indeed. My bad. Sorry.
No worries--just having a little fun.

BTW, I just finished setting up my 82 Q900R the other night and it rocks. 82" from 11 feet away ain't half bad. My wife won't let me put the chairs any closer...
TriTon464 likes this.

Dave

post #166 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 11:06 PM

I was just wondering, were you meaning to say you can lift up an 82" by yourself? I envy you if you can! I am way too far away from a much too small TV but TV is not really my bag anyways. I am okay with it. I am glad you were not upset. I did get carried away about it LOL.
post #167 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Yes. In fact, I ordered a Samsung 8k set, but after my local store couldn't get one for me by their promised delivery date, decided to hold off, for now. I doubt I will get a 2019 model, but it's likely I will get an 8k 2020 model.

Unlike most posters, I'm convinced that an 8k set can deliver a better quality picture than my 4k set, even for upscaled 4k or 2k video; however, I doubt that I would see improvement over my current 2018 model 4k set, which looks great when I can actually stream 4k. And there may be a problem getting good performance from a retail 65" 8k set (and I don't have room for larger than 65"). Some commentary I see here suggests that early reviews of 8k picture quality may have been over-enthusiastic, due to selection of the sets sent to early reviewers, or that the 65" Samsung model does not work as well as the larger size 8k sets.

Greg Lee
post #168 of 241 Old 07-05-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was just wondering, were you meaning to say you can lift up an 82" by yourself? I envy you if you can! I am way too far away from a much too small TV but TV is not really my bag anyways. I am okay with it. I am glad you were not upset. I did get carried away about it LOL.
I had a guy helping me. I could probably get it off the ground by myself if I absolutely had to, but no way I could get it up on the mount. I built a shop-made French cleat out of solid maple, screwed into the VESA mount screws, and hung it on matching cleats that were fastened to my homemade supports, that hold the set up in front of a large window.

It was all bit of a struggle, but came out well. Took two full days from picking up the set from the freight yard and delivering it home, getting it upstairs, building the mount and bracket, to getting it hung and hooked up to my sound system and everything else.

All's well that ends well, and my wife is even starting to grudgingly admit that it's a pretty awesome set.
TriTon464 likes this.

Dave

post #169 of 241 Old 07-06-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
When will I buy an 8K TV.

#1 . 12-bit Panels that’s a must to get closer to REC 2020 buying an 8K 10-bit Panel is like paying full price and buying a 4 Cylinder Ferrari.
#2 . When the next HDMI Spec is ratified and agreed upon HDMI 2.2 8K @120 Hz Right now all 8K sets are 8K 30fps it’s just Up sampling everything using A.I. No set can deliver 8K 120Hz Native.
#3 . Waaaaayyy faster Internet I can stream 4K but that’s Compressed. Not many customers can stream 8K and Compression and CODEC technology is far behind.
#4 . DisplayPort 2.0 can also carry 8K 120fps not sure why TVs don’t offer a DisplayPort maybe Licensing and fees but many will be pushing 8K PC content to TV
#5 . You may not have a choice after a certain Size TV if you want a 75” TV you will only be able to buy 8K TVs
#6 . Much faster Processors for TVs I’m I pressed how fast the LG A9 Gen 2 switches running Apps

Wake me up when all this has been accomplished maybe 2025 and the TV is. $1799 on Sale at BestBuy, since market research shows 99% of all TVs sold in the United States costs less than $2,000.
post #170 of 241 Old 07-06-2019, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Not until it can do 8K 120 and isn't heating up my whole house.
post #171 of 241 Old 07-06-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
25 feet from my 49" I cannot even tell the difference between 1080P and 4K.

A 25 foot viewing distance for a 49" screen? Is that a typo? Unless you're watching with binoculars, 4k would barely be distinguishable from 480i and pretty much all aspects of display picture quality are irrelevant.
THX1720, Nouniard and TriTon464 like this.
post #172 of 241 Old 07-06-2019, 09:42 AM

no, that was not a typo. it is correct. that is why it is of little importance to me to even have 4K let alone 8K. 1080P does look better than 480P IMO but barely. You are mostly correct there. I am just not that into TV. Stereo is my thing. Plus my wife is involved with this decision so I have no choice anyways. The cabinet that will only fit a 49" was her Grandmother's and she is not getting rid of it. We watch in bed which is against the opposite wall. We do have a dedicated theater with an 8K projector but it is mainly the kids and their friends using that on a daily basis. Luckily I am not going to challenge my wife on this issue because it is simply not a big deal to me. Honestly it looks good enough to me but I am not very picky at all about it. I know I am really in the wrong place here When there is a microLED 75" or so I will probably get it for the living room or something. We still have a CRT in there! so you can really see where I am coming from HAHA. However stereo, 2 or 2.1 channel I take extremely seriously. The trade off is she allowed me to have Mark Levenson monoblocks in the bedroom as well. along with everything else that goes with that. The only downside is it is very warm in here.

moonhawk, I was going to say....if you could hold that at shoulder height I would hate to be at odds with you in a dark alley LOL. I could not even mount a 55" by myself.
post #173 of 241 Old 07-06-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
moonhawk, I was going to say....if you could hold that at shoulder height I would hate to be at odds with you in a dark alley LOL. I could not even mount a 55" by myself.
No, I could get it off the ground with the right grip, but that's about it. Turn 71 in a couple of days and I'm not as strong as I used to be.

It wasn't too bad with two guys because the French cleat meant it was easy to place in the mount once we got it up to the right height.
TriTon464 likes this.

Dave

post #174 of 241 Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
No, fn way, I'm spending 8k on a tv(85" mind you), next year. That's directly from the source...my wife.

10 bit panels and 12 bit whores, Dolby vision II, HDR15+, where the hell did I put my flux capacitor. Too early for predictions man, it's like a time warp continue'em.

You young'uns are way too premature on this ejaculation(read: speculation), there's not even 8k porn out yet; just sayin'.

I'm holdin out for the smell o vision...chicken...reminds me of a girl I once dated.

Best
post #175 of 241 Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Roflmao!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #176 of 241 Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 AM

I know I was kind of a jerk before. I have a serious question for you folks. Now that Best Buy has the 55" Samsung on sale for nothing(obviously not selling). Knowing Magnolia I probably can work an even better deal. Here is the issue. the room is 48 feet. This is a different room. I can feasibly put one recliner 12 feet from it or it will look absurd in the room per my wife. I am surprised she will even allow that much. Reclined it is more like 14 feet though. Lets just say 12 feet. I was wondering if I am just wasting my money then or that is close enough? I am not spending for a bigger TV right now just like the person above! Thank you
post #177 of 241 Old 07-17-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
If we finally see an affordable glasses free 3D TV introduced in 2020, it will probably be 8k, and I will buy it.

Greg Lee
post #178 of 241 Old 07-17-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 626
My two main TVs are still Panasonic plasmas, no intent on buying 8k as my next TV, these 1080p TVs are still just fine at my watching distance.
post #179 of 241 Old 07-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

I still have a 54" Panasonic plasma.

post #180 of 241 Old 07-17-2019, 11:12 PM

Screw it, I got it today. It was the largest in the box that would fit inside my full size SUV without removing the seat. I do not pay for delivery because I am too cheap. I honestly already know the answer. 12-14' is indeed too far. As with 25' from my 49" it looks fine to me. Since as I have mentioned TV is not my bag. Talk to me about 2 or 2.1 channel stereos. I take that very seriously. I have one system well into six figures and another several Million. So besides having the funds you can see where my passion lies. We never even go to a movie or anything. No concerts either as my equipment is considerably better than any ear bleeding concert. On that note I do not listen loud at all. You actually hear more detail listening at low volume. I do not mean to get off topic though. Carry on…. I will say I am very happy with both Samsung TV's. They do make great TV's IMO. They also make great Phones IMO. I am very pleased with them. Even though I am much too far away but it hardly matters to me. They look outstanding to me even at those distances. I cannot complain whatsoever but then again I am not exactly a stickler for picture quality. Although both sets are hardware calibrated at least.

If anyone wants the 55" 8K Samsung I got one heck of a deal from Magnolia as I had figured. It is already $1,000 off MSRP to begin with. YMMV on any deal you may get though. It will depend mostly on if you "know" anyone at Best Buy in upper management (which I do) and how aggressive you are willing to be. Even if you do not know anyone ask for the "floor manager" only and be prepared to put the screws to them. Then if need be you may have to visit several of their other stores to get your target deal. This absolutely will not happen over the phone though. Try to be somewhat realistic in your negotiations nonetheless. I hope what I just said was okay. I did not mention actual prices. I did not really delve too deeply into negation tactics for that matter. I am just saying you will be surprised what you can get it for if you do it right but unfortunately only on the 55". I am told it is not selling. Hence the already $1,000 off MSRP. The 49" Q70 I am told is moving very well and that is why they are asking full MSRP. Although they will gladly price match a slew of competitors that are selling it for much less. Or just go somewhere else. It is just that there is a Best Buy on every corner so they do have convenient locations. However, do not expect good service from them even if you pay for it. So I highly recommend you do not. They like to push the warranty because that is a big money maker for them, and every store. The truth is if it works out of the box it will probably do so for it's expected lifespan anyways. Those in the know do not usually buy warranties but again, YMMV on that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page